PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems/symtoms

Taasman
12-27-2003, 11:53 AM
My ford starter sometimes just spins and zzzzzz's like its not engaged just free wheels. Then other times it starts fine. It seems to do it more often when cold. What would this be? and could a rebuild kit fix it? or is it the soliniod?

^SkylinE^
12-27-2003, 11:57 AM
Soliniod for sure! buy one and do it your self its super easy!:thumbsup:

Taasman
12-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the quick reply...soliniod then, your sure...ok I will pull the starter and install a new one! Thanks

EK 2.0
12-27-2003, 12:09 PM
If the vehicle you are working on the the Truck your solenoid may be on the fender man...so it depends on the car that you are working on...

kevie88
12-27-2003, 12:13 PM
It sounds like the solenoid is fine if the starter spins. The solenoid controls the power getting to the starter and it sounds like it's getting power.
I think it's probably the starter bendix, that's the piece that pops the gear out when the starter begins turning.

Pull the starter out, and just put power to the positive and negative posts (carefully!!) with some jumper cables. The starter gear should come out about an inch or so when it spins. If not, time for a rebuilt starter! If that works fine then check out the solenoid, but I'm not convinced that's it.

Taasman
12-27-2003, 12:54 PM
The vehicle is a 95 Mercury Mystique. Canadian Tire says they don't carry a soliniod for it... and a new starter is $200.00. It starts ok most times, then seems to pop out at times and makes that zzzz type noise. I know starters are fairly simple to work on...just wanted a cheap fix, if its something I can do on my own. Is there a way to fix it? Say buy a rebuild kit or something? However I don't think a rebuild kit would include the soliniod...thats why I need to know for sure if its the soliniod or the bendix? Thanks!

EK 2.0
12-27-2003, 01:00 PM
if you have the starter out...you can take it to most Autoparts stores and they can test it out for ya..

kevie88
12-27-2003, 01:00 PM
If you need to know for sure,

Option 1:

go to the car and pull the starter out and inspect it. See if the gear on the nose is all beat up and worn down, and also check the gear teeth on the flywheel and make sue they're ok. Then test the starter by putting power to it.
It sounds like the starter and solenoid are together if you can't buy a solenoid seperately. It might just be time to get that starter from Canadian Tire. Call around first to a few places for the best price first tho.
*edit* That's a good idea, you can just take the starter to the parts places and they'll test it for you.*edit*
Option 2:

Take the car to a mechanic.

cobber112879
12-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Starters haven't used bendix drives in automotive applications for a long time. If you bench test your starter and the drive still spins freely, it still may be a drive problem. If your starter uses an overrunning clutch drive, the clutch may be toast. This usually requires a rebuild as bushings, brushes, commutator bars,etc all usually require service within short time periods of each other.:thumbsup: