PDA

View Full Version : Highway construction ate my rim/tire

bspot
09-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Driving home from Invermere yesterday I went through a construction zone right around Canmore that the lanes jogged onto a temporary alignment. Because of the heavy rain a failed to see a giant hole in the road which bent my rim and blew my tire.

Is there any recourse for this? Or am I just screwed hoping it can be repaired?

[Yu]
09-20-2010, 02:17 PM
From what I remember from a lot of older threads, no one has been successful in getting compensated by the city or government in general for issues like this.

If this is not what you were asking for... then I apologize.

Phenix
09-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I tried and got a run around for a year then got no where. fucking hate the ass clowns doing construction. they usually do a horrible job of finishing or marking road hazards

bspot
09-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]
From what I remember from a lot of older threads, no one has been successful in getting compensated by the city or government in general for issues like this.

If this is not what you were asking for... then I apologize.

That's exactly what I was wondering.

Thanks guys.

Oh well, at least the tires were just about done anyway.

Thaco
09-20-2010, 03:00 PM
yeah, good luck, i busted a rim on a range road in buttfuck nowhere, took pictures of the busted ass rim, and the potcrater that caused it, sent them to Alberta transportation, got no response (the only ones i did get response from was wheatland county, but only to tell me that road belonged to the province and they would do nothing for me)

speedog
09-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Found on-line - Alberta highway maintenance specifications (link (http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/documents/Hwy_Maint_Specs_Edition-5.pdf)) and the Alberta highway maintenance guidelines and level of service manual (link (http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType34/Production/los_manual.pdf)). Don't know if this could be used as fodder to support one's case in going after a government department for reimbursement, but worth a look perhaps.

spikerS
09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
I was successful in getting the city to repair my dad's car back in the day. Was driving on the on ramp to glenmore off of blackfoot, and a piece of the curb had somehow gotten onto the road, which I swerved to miss, but it still ended up ripping a hole in the sidewall, and chipping the lip of the rim.

Had a fight with the city lawyers regarding this, and ended up having to get new rims as pontiac could not supply a new rim as it was discontinued, and it could not be repaired, and 2 new tires. It took about 9 months to get it all done though.

94boosted
09-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Was unsuccesful in having the city pay for my 2 rims and 1 tire when I busted them out on a massive pot hole on elbow drive a few years back, just got the run arround.

88CRX
09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
This is the City you're dealing with...... nothing is easy. Just keep on them and don't expect them to do any real work to move it forward without pestering them multiple times.

adidas
09-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Busted my oil pan in feb. City said there are no problems with the road but in JULY they paved the entire stretch of 12st from Mcknight to 32nd ave.

I think i should bring this to their attention.

bspot
09-21-2010, 08:53 AM
For those telling me to go after the city, I'm pretty sure they don't care about a pot hole in Canmore ;)

e31
09-21-2010, 09:06 AM
During the repaving of Memorial east of Deerfoot, I had my entire exhaust system ripped off all the way to the catalytic converter. Damn protruding manhole cover was sticking at least 5 inches from the road. I should have taken it up with the city.

chkolny541
09-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by bspot
For those telling me to go after the city, I'm pretty sure they don't care about a pot hole in Canmore ;)

there have been a few successfull compensations from damage (generally the city gives you the stiff middle finger though), but the process is EXTREMELY long and drawn out, im not going to expect canmore to be much easier either way. Is a year of pestering with lawyers and hassle worth it to POTENTIALLY get a new wheel? only for some