PDA

View Full Version : Quebec’s New Fairy Godmother

Phenix
09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Anyone see this yet?

Quebec’s New Fairy Godmother
Today, let's have some fun and play Fairy Godmother to Quebec. Let's grant the province the wish it articulated in Copenhagen. Wave the magic wand and poof, wish granted. Shut down Alberta's oilsands, except, since it’s Quebec making the wish, we have to call it tarsands, even though it's not tar they use to run their Bombardier planes, trains and Skidoos.

Ah, at last! The blight on Canada's reputation shut down. All those dastardly workers from across Canada living in Fort McMurray, Calgary and Edmonton out of jobs, including those waitresses, truck drivers, nurses, teachers, doctors, pilots, engineers etc. They can all go on Employment insurance like Ontario autoworkers and Quebec parts makers!

Closing down Alberta's oil industry would immediately stop the production of 1.8 million barrels of oil a day. Supply and demand being what it is, oil prices will go up and therefore the cost at the pump will go up, too, increasing the cost of everything else.

But lost jobs in Alberta and across the country along with higher gas prices are a small price to pay to save the world and not "embarrass" Quebecers on the world stage. Not to worry though, Saudi Arabia, Libya and Nigeria can come to the rescue. You know, the guys who pump money into al-Qaida and help Osama bin Laden target those Van Doos fighting in Afghanistan. Bloody oil is so much nicer than dirty tarsands oil.

Shutting down the oilsands will reduce Canada's greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 38.4 Mt (megatonnes). Hooray! It's so fun to be a Fairy Godmother! While that sounds like a lot, Canada only produces two per cent of the world's man-made GHGs and the oilsands only produce five per cent of Canada's total emissions or 0.1 per cent of the world's emissions. By comparison, the U.S. produces 20.2 per cent of the world's GHG emissions, 27 per cent of which comes from coal-fired electricity.

The 530-square-kilometre piece of land currently disturbed by the oilsands (which is smaller than the John F. Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, Fla. at 570 square kilometres) must be reclaimed by law and will return to Alberta's 381,000 square kilometres of boreal forest, a huge carbon sink.

Quebec, of course, has clean hydro power, but more than 13,000 square kilometres were drowned for the James Bay hydroelectric project, permanently removing that forest from acting as a carbon sink.

But Fairy Godmother is digressing all over the place. While the oilsands only produce five per cent of Canada's GHGs, it contributes much more to Canada's economy. After all, oil and gas make up one-quarter of the value on the TSX alone. Alberta is also the largest net contributor per capita by far to Confederation and there are only two more -- B.C. and Ontario.

Quebec hasn't made a net contribution to the rest of Canada for a very long time. This is not to be critical (after all, Fairy Godmothers never criticize), it's just a fact. In 2009, Albertans paid $40.46 billion in income, corporate and other taxes to the federal government and received back just $19.35 billion in services and goods from the feds. That means the rest of Canada got $21.1 billion from Albertans or $5,742 for each and every Alberta man, woman and child. In 2007 (the last year national figures are available), Alberta sent a net contribution of $19.49 billion to the ROC or $5,553 per Albertan -- more than three times what every Ontarian contributes at $1,757. Quebecers, on the other hand, each received $627 net or a total of $8 billion, money which was designed to help "equalize" social programs across the country. Except, that's not what is happening. Quebec has more generous social programs like (nearly) free university tuition (paid for mostly by Albertans) and cheap provincial day care (paid for mostly by Albertans).

But in this Fairy Godmother world, poof, those delightful unequal programs have now disappeared! Quel dommage!

The July 2009 Canadian Energy Research Institute (CERI) report states that between 2008 and 2032, the oilsands will account for 172,000 person-years of employment in Ontario during the construction phase, plus 640,000 for operations over the 25-year period. For Quebec, the oilsands will account for 84,000 person-years of employment during the construction phase, plus 292,000 for operations over the 25-year period.
In total, the oilsands are expected to add $1.7 trillion to Canada's GDP over the next 25 years.
Wave wand and Poof, Jobs, gone! So, now that the oil industry has shut down and left Alberta, Alberta has become a have-not province and so has every other province. Equality at last! Hugo Chavez will be so pleased.

Meeting our Copenhagen targets suddenly looks possible, as most of us can't afford to drive our cars or buy anything but necessities, so manufacturers have closed their doors and emissions are way down.
The dream of many Quebecers to form their own nation and separate from Canada has died at last. Alas, in Alberta, separatist sentiment has risen dramatically, citizens vote to separate and the oil and gas industry returns.

Albertans start to pocket that almost $6,000 for each person that used to get sent elsewhere and now their kids get free tuition. Fairy Godmother's work is done. Wish granted. Quebecers must now sign up for a foreign worker visas to work in Alberta to send their cheques back home so junior can start saving up to pay for college.

Licia Corbella is editorial page editor of The Calgary Herald.

adam c
09-21-2010, 09:21 AM
sooo tired of this garbage, Quebec can go fuck off, i would be happy to separate and have more money in my pockets, i'm also tired of Alberta supporting the rest of Canada and their lazy ass workers

Phenix
09-21-2010, 09:25 AM
The school and day care one's surprised me. :bullshit:

CUG
09-21-2010, 09:28 AM
^ I've said it numerous times, Liberals are barely ever able to identify with reality. It's pink powder dumbness.

arian_ma
09-21-2010, 09:32 AM
The French will never STFU.

Phenix
09-21-2010, 09:56 AM
It sucks that this is a wall of text and that alone probably scares off a ton of people. but it is definitely worth the read

n1zm0
09-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Phenix
It sucks that this is a wall of text and that alone probably scares off a ton of people. but it is definitely worth the read

well the wall of text wouldn't be so bad if you used proper spacing between the sentences!!!!

but really i was listening about this on AM770 the other day and it was a back and forth with the phone calls: some random Albertan vs Some lady or guy who was brought up in Quebec and now living here.

the brunt of the conversation was that the head honchos in ottawa would be more one-sided to back up Quebec on this crap because getting those few non-Bloc votes in that province is more important than us 'hicks' out west , the sad part being that yeah its partially true, there are alot of QCers who don't vote Bloc and the government types will appease the whiners just to get those votes if it means throwing us Albertans under the bus.

Phenix
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

well the wall of text wouldn't be so bad if you used proper spacing between the sentences!!!!

Fixed

masoncgy
09-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Wasn't this written last year?

It's a good piece... but it's not recent. :)

Zhariak
09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE whoever wrote this article.

I actually didn't know Quebec wanted us to close down the Oilsands, but I'm glad I was enlightened.

And now, I'll post a link to my old thread about Alberta Separating. Maybe one day we will get our chance :)

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/256216/alberta-separatists-whats-your-view/

in*10*se
09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
good article

Tram Common
09-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Fuck, Albertans are almost asbitchy and whiny as the Quebecois.

This is Canada... you're all a part of it. You wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for the East.

Anyone remember that little thing called Confederation Day... or Canada Day?

Ya, you'd all still be under British control if it wasn't for the East liberating you.

... and your oil money, that's so precious to you, no it wouldn't be paying for Quebec's problems... it would be paying for the United Kingdom's problems.

... Ya, that'd be much better wouldn't it?

StupidWade
09-21-2010, 08:04 PM
^^^ and this intellectual juggernaut thinks that Canada Day is the Canadian equivalent of Independence Day in the US.

We were never 'liberated' from Great Britain you retard.

Tram Common
09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by StupidWade
^^^ and this intellectual juggernaut thinks that Canada Day is the Canadian equivalent of Independence Day in the US.

We were never 'liberated' from Great Britain you retard.

Oh my fucking God... Really? I mean... really?

I'm not even going to explain this one to you... just please familiarize yourself with a little thing called the BNA Act before you ever speak about Canadian history again you fucking moron. :facepalm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_North_America_Acts

calgary403
09-21-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm a quebecer living in Alberta. If any of you seriously believe Quebec as a whole is out to get alberta you are idiots. If any of you have ever spent a significant amount of time in Montreal you would see practically no one in the city agrees on anything with eachother. Also last time I checked Canada was a democratic country. With more then half of our population in montreal and Toronto alone I guess you guys are just going to have to suck it up.

kvg
09-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Tram Common

This is Canada... you're all a part of it. You wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for the East.

Ya, you'd all still be under British control if it wasn't for the East liberating you.

... and your oil money, that's so precious to you, no it wouldn't be paying for Quebec's problems... it would be paying for the United Kingdom's problems.

:facepalm: Really? Thats what you really think is true?:facepalm:

kvg
09-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes Canada does not have a perfect system, but I will say I wouldn't want to live any other place.:thumbsup:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Its because their French. That is all.

revelations
09-21-2010, 09:22 PM
This reminds me of the "ralph bucks"

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/daveberta/pic07391.gif

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/daveberta/pic03625.gif

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/daveberta/pic18787.gif

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/daveberta/pic17958.gif

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/daveberta/pic10202.gif

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/daveberta/pic09905.gif

Tram Common
09-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by kvg

:facepalm: Really? Thats what you really think is true?:facepalm:

Please, educate me otherwise. You're aware that I'm just throwing out a prediction of what MIGHT have happened had the North-Western Territory not been taken in by Canada in 1870...

... but please, tell me why my prediction is so "untrue".

coal_troll
09-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
The French will never STFU.

Tu as raison, 100%.

ZEDGE
09-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Not sure if serious....

This has to be some kind of joke post or alias??

:rofl:

CUG
09-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by StupidWade

We were never 'liberated' from Great Britain you retard. I am stealing this from you. Excellent.

Canada never had to go to war to get away from GBR, that's the US. We went and fought with and for GBR in the Boer war, Tram Common. We weren't fucking liberated, we liberated ourselves peacefully.

Time to have a read:

Feb 14, 1853- The Canadian Currency Act allows Canada to adopt her own Currency

Jan 1, 1867- British North America Act:
-Dominion of Canada created
-Parliament of Canada created
-Position of Prime Minister of Canada created
-Four Provincial governments created
-Governor of Canada is now styled "Governor-General"
-Canada's supreme political authority rests with the Queen and her British Government.

Jun 16, 1891- John Abbott becomes first Canadian-born Prime Minister.

Oct 1899- Canadian regiment deployed to fight for Britain in South African Boer War.

Aug 19, 1914- Prime Minister Borden declares war, pledging Canada's support to "The Empire"

1919- Nickle Resolution passed. Canadians can no longer receive knighthoods, or other peerage titles from Britain.

Jan 10, 1920- Canada is permitted to join the League of Nations as an independent, free-voting member.

1922- King George signs a proclaimation granting Canada its first national symbols: a coat of arms and the national colors red and white.

1923- The UK government allows Canada to conduct an independent fishing treaty with the United States without British representatives.

1927- The Royal Style and Titles Act is passed. It recognizes that the British monarch is a "separate" king in each different dominion.

Dec 11, 1931- Statute of Westminster / Founding of "Commonwealth":
-British Parliament can no longer make laws for Canada.
-Canada can modify or repeal past British-made legislation
-Canada has right to it's own foreign policy.
-Virtual political independence from Britain

The Statute of Westminster also mandates that Canada (and all the other dominions) must approve any changes to the monarchy or the British royal family in the future.

1936- The Canadian Parliament votes to approve the abdication of King Edward VIII.

Sep 1939- World War II: One week after Britain declares war, Prime Minister Mackenzie King declares war, pledging Canada's "voluntary" support to Britain

Nov 9, 1945- Canada joins the United Nations as an independent, free-voting member

1947- Canada opens first independent embassy, in Washington, DC.

1947- King George VI issues Letters Patent which states that the Governor-General will always be considered the supreme political authority in Canada, unless the monarch is specifically consulted.

Jan 1, 1947- Canadian Citizenship Act gives all Canadians Canadian citizenship.
Before, they were considered British subjects.

Jun 22, 1948- King George VI abandons the title of "Emperor", formally ending the concept of the "British Empire"

1949- Supreme Court of Canada given supreme powers, cases can no longer be appealed to Britain.

Feb 6, 1952- Queen Elizabeth II is proclaimed "Queen of Canada", the first British monarch to receive such a title.

Feb 29, 1952- First Canadian-born Governor General is appointed by Prime Minister St. Laurent

Around this time the use of the official name "Dominion of Canada" begins to be phased out in favor of just "Canada."

1956- Britain invades Egypt in response to Suez crisis. The government of Lester Pearson does not support the move, marking the first time Canada opposed a British foreign policy initiative.

Feb 15, 1965- Canada adopts its own national flag, turfing the Red Ensign and Union Jack.

1967- The Order of Canada is created and becomes the highest award granted to Canadians

Apr, 1971- Governor General Roland Michener makes a state visit to the Caribbean, the first time a Canadian Governor General visits a foreign nation in a Head of State capacity.

1972- Unique Canadian medals for military bravery, courage, and valour are created, to replace British honors such as the Victoria Cross.

1975- British citizens living in Canada are no longer able to vote in Canadian elections.

1977- The Canadian Citizenship Act is revised.
-The phrase "A Canadian citizen is a British subject" is removed from passports.
-Canadian Citizenship becomes the only legal form of citizenship in Canada.

1977- The Governor General assumes nearly all diplomatic duties from the Queen, including receiving foreign ambassadors to Canada and accepting their letters of credence.

Jul 1, 1980- "O Canada" is officially adopted as Canada's national anthem, replacing "God Save the Queen."

Apr 17, 1982- Constitution Act is Revised.
-The British Parliament can no longer amend Canada's Constitution.

Oct 27, 1982- "Dominion Day" is renamed "Canada Day"

1988- Canadian Heraldic Authority is established, granting Canadians the right to issue their own Coats of Arms.

1999- The phrase "and that I will uphold my duties as a Canadian citizen, and obey the laws of Canada" is added to the Canadian oath of citizenship, along with the oath to the Queen.

2004- All letters of credence from foreign ambassadors are now formally addressed to the Governor General of Canada, and not the Queen.

You done now?

Tram Common
09-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I am stealing this from you. Excellent.

Canada never had to go to war to get away from GBR, that's the US. We went and fought with and for GBR in the Boer war, Tram Common. We weren't fucking liberated, we liberated ourselves peacefully.

Time to have a read:

You done now?

I never once claimed we went to war to liberate ourselves...

... you understand that liberation from a sovereignty doesn't always have to constitute a war, right?

To say we never had to fight for our freedom from the British in one form or another, and that it just came automatically and without some form of conflict... to say that and to call yourself Canadian is frankly embarrassing.

... but please, continue to to try and convince yourselves that simply because we did not fight the British in a war, they must have just "liked us" and felt we were" good guys" and we should therefor have control over the entire northern portion of North America they spend the last century fighting for control of.

:facepalm:

CUG
09-22-2010, 01:42 AM

I never once claimed we went to war to liberate ourselves...

... you understand that liberation from a sovereignty doesn't always have to constitute a war, right?

To say we never had to fight for our freedom from the British in one form or another, and that it just came automatically and without some form of conflict... to say that and to call yourself Canadian is frankly embarrassing.

... but please, continue to to try and convince yourselves that simply because we did not fight the British in a war, they must have just "liked us" and felt we were" good guys" and we should therefor have control over the entire northern portion of North America they spend the last century fighting for control of.

:facepalm:

I absolutely cannot understand how you think you're in any sort of position to be face-palming anyone in this thread. Never have I seen such back-peddalry in my time on beyond.

In order to be liberated, one must be oppressed or occupied, and given the lax nature of the conditions and laws set forth for the "dominion", I could wager that we were neither of those things.

Well, Tram Commons butthole might be occupied by a brit, but other than that.. no.

(jaykaybro)

Stalker Hacker
09-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by CUG

I absolutely cannot understand how you think you're in any sort of position to be face-palming anyone in this thread. Never have I seen such back-peddalry in my time on beyond.

In order to be liberated, one must be oppressed or occupied, and given the lax nature of the conditions and laws set forth for the "dominion", I could wager that we were neither of those things.

Well, Tram Commons butthole might be occupied by a brit, but other than that.. no.

(jaykaybro)

I'm going to have to disagree with you CUG. The British sovereignty of early Canada, that I think Tram is hinting at, could easily be classified as both "oppressive" and "occupied".

The whole reason the North-Western Territory was sold to Canada was primarily to prevent the further taxation of its natural resources.

Bringing this right back to the beginnings of this topic. If what was then Alberta hadn't joined Canada, there might still be those taxations in some form flowing into the British pockets. Only after that sale and amendment was Alberta allowed to secure it's oil reserves.

That's going way back though.

CUG
09-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Stalker Hacker

I'm going to have to disagree with you CUG. The British sovereignty of early Canada, that I think Tram is hinting at, could easily be classified as both oppressive and occupied. I could even concede that, even though no large scale or robust liberation was ever necessary. Given the form of his argument, I'm unable to entertain that he might be hinting at that.

The problem here is his suggestions that carry nuances of a civil war, similar to that of the United States. That was not ever a situation for Canada with Britain, and to attempt to implicate Alberta in a century old debt as a result of this bullshit "liberation" is completely farcical.

That logic is the type of logic that says Canada owes the natives from here to kingdom come, and that white guilt is necessary long into the future as a result of slavery.

Tram Common
09-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I could even concede that, even though no large scale or robust liberation was ever necessary. Given the form of his argument, I'm unable to entertain that he might be hinting at that.

.. what!? CUG, my good man, please... I'm well aware Canada never went to war with Britain over control of Canada. :nut:

The "liberation" I speak of has mostly to do with the Canadian political and court systems...

... shit, we only gained complete control over our legislative constitutional powers from the British in 1982! Less than 30 years ago we still had to ask Britain nicely if we wanted to amend our very own constitution!

.. to me, that's not freedom from Britain in the least.

That's the sort of "liberation" I'm talking about when I speak of the East potentially saving present day Alberta by creating the initial BNA Act and taking the North-Western Territory into Canada in the following constitutional act of 1871... if that never happens, Britain potentially remains in total control of Alberta's present day natural resources.

... or Alberta creates a bitchen' new country that's free from the East altogether...

... or we all go to war with aliens and die... shit, I don't know! :dunno:

Am I the only one who had a socials 11 teacher teach this like it was the fucking word of God?

T-Dubbs
09-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by adam c
sooo tired of this garbage, Quebec can go fuck off, i would be happy to separate and have more money in my pockets, i'm also tired of Alberta supporting the rest of Canada and their lazy ass workers
i vote separation

long live the republic of Alberta!

Cooked Rice
09-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Ralph Klein was the shit. :clap:

kertejud2
09-22-2010, 03:48 PM

... shit, we only gained complete control over our legislative constitutional powers from the British in 1982! Less than 30 years ago we still had to ask Britain nicely if we wanted to amend our very own constitution!

.. to me, that's not freedom from Britain in the least.

That's the sort of "liberation" I'm talking about when I speak of the East potentially saving present day Alberta by creating the initial BNA Act and taking the North-Western Territory into Canada in the following constitutional act of 1871... if that never happens, Britain potentially remains in total control of Alberta's present day natural resources.

Yes, lets thank the East for liberating us from Britain by asking the House of Lords for permission to take in the NWT and then asking the British Lord trusted to be the Queen of England's representative to ratify Parliament's decision. Then we will also thank them for asking Britain's upper house for permission to create a province. And not to let a good deed go unnoticed, we will also thank the East for liberating us from British rule by allowing all Canadians to be brought into a European war without any national democratic process being used because Britain called upon the 'liberated' Empire.

What do you think 'liberated' actually means?

Tarrantula
09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Im enjoying this thread. Except the part where we arent bashing quebec!

BACK TO OT PLEAAASE :hijack:

kertejud2
09-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula
Im enjoying this thread. Except the part where we arent bashing quebec!

BACK TO OT PLEAAASE :hijack:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2010/09/21/15432436.html

n a new survey of 18-to-24-year-old Canadian women, 55% of Montrealers said they had sex on a regular basis, compared to 47% of Vancouver women and 40% of Toronto women.

By region, Ontario also came in dead last, the study by market research firm Vision Critical for drug company Merck Frosst indicated.

While 42% of Ontario respondents said they made love on a weekly basis, 59% of Prairie women and 55% of Quebec women said they often heated things up in the bedroom.

Looks like we come first yet again. Or should it be most?

kenny
09-22-2010, 04:34 PM

The argument from the East is that we should all stick together and be one happy country, yet Ontario and Quebec don't hesitate at all when it comes to taking shots at the Oilsands.

Good news is that support of the Oilsands is growing in Quebec. I guess they finally realized they shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them.

Phenix
09-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Ralph Klein was the shit. :clap:

Dam right!, He said publicly to all the " bums and scums to stay out east!" and " get the hell out of town"

http://archives.cbc.ca/clip.asp?page=1&IDClip=2406&IDCat=336&IDCatPa=260&IDDossier=

we need Ralph Klein for Mayor again!!!

Phenix
09-22-2010, 04:38 PM
can anyone post up the video in my link ?

SilverGS
09-22-2010, 04:51 PM

So we are all part of Canada yet we should be thanking the east? If we are all a part of Canada then we should just be thanking the Canadian leaders who negotiated the acts.

Tram Common
09-22-2010, 06:59 PM
I guess my strong point here is that we should all be thanking each other. We've all helped each other out when the time was needed.

We live in one of the greatest countries in the world and a huge part of what makes use great is Quebec.

Have none of you spend any amount of time in Quebec? It's absolutely amazing.

Equally so, Alberta is a massive power house that fuels our great country... let's all just hug and watch the European Union go up in flames.

adam c
09-22-2010, 07:04 PM
are you from Quebec or something?

happy tree
09-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the citizens of alberta vote themselves into confederation back in 1905. I guess we could vote ourselves out as well.

Tram Common
09-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by adam c
are you from Quebec or something?

No, but I've been fortunate enough to spend a year living in Montreal.

CUG
09-23-2010, 01:25 AM

No, but I've been fortunate enough to spend a year living in Montreal. Well now I'm just jealous. There's more quality be-hind there than anywhere.

texasnick
09-23-2010, 07:59 AM
I guess my strong point here is that we should all be thanking each other. We've all helped each other out when the time was needed.

Thank you.....seriously.....so much for using my money to help support yourself and then tell me that the way I make that money isn't good enough for you.

Seriously.

Thank you

adam c
09-23-2010, 08:03 AM

No, but I've been fortunate enough to spend a year living in Montreal.

can't say i follow you, sure the history there is pretty neat when you go into the old city and buying alcohol at the local corner store is sweet, other than that Montreal is no different than any other city except they have stuck up french people