PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Service & Canon Service

quazimoto
09-21-2010, 09:18 AM
This is by no means a comparison at all just to let everyone know just how crappy both companies are when it comes to helping their pro shooters get repairs done. I mean I knew canon was crappy when they refused to warranty my 1Ds Mark III for repair over a year ago. Now Nikon's turn.

I've sent in items before and I thought it ironic at the time that parts for a lens like the 17-35mm would be back ordered. I thought the lens wasn't too new so you'd figure they'd have parts. Anyways first repair was a 17-35mm lens and it took roughly 6 weeks once they received.

I sent in an SB-900 speedlight to have the flash tube replaced ball park a month ago. They were calling me back and forth trying to tell me initially the repair cost was in the $400 range so I should just buy a new speedlight. I told the service manager they should hire new repair techs since the unit was in flawless condition before the tube went. Apparently they were telling me replacing the main electrical board was needed due to some of the screws being different sizes or some jazz.

Finally convince them just to replace the tube and send it back. I wait another two weeks....

So I call them yesterday and find out that this little retarded flash tube is apparently back ordered from Japan and the repair will take a few more weeks again they can't tell you an accurate timeline.

Oddly enough there are hundreds of places literally in Canada and the US that have the flash tube in stock.

I've come to this conclusion that Nikon Service Canada does not maintain a good working inventory of replacement parts for what appears to be some common items. I'm not sure if this is to keep overhead low or something but either way it sure is frustrating.

I seriously miss the days when Canon had that facility in Calgary. Why oh why can't we get something like that back again. Hell I'd pay more for my camera equipment if we had some place local instead of this BS.

In short they both suck so don't expect miracles from either Canon or Nikon. Also understand the warrantees that come with the camera equipment you purchase aren't good for a whole lot.

ex1z7
09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh great more bitching about service depots..

bcylau
09-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Side note, I love sigma's service. Most often than not, the service is free of charge and I usually get a new lens instead of my old one if its a warranty issue.

The catch is that you become kinda familiar with sigma service due to the frequency of needing service......

Mitsu3000gt
09-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Regardless of brand, I've heard tales of amazing and abysmal service in equal amounts. I came to the conclusion a long time ago it will be all luck of the draw if I ever need warranty work on my equipment.