PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new 4runner vs Xterra

bobafixed
09-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Hey all,

I'd like to get some opinions on those who have experience with these two vehicles. Looking at the base models.

I'm looking for something that will handle well in the winter as I do a lot of driving on Deerfoot and to Edmonton. I'd also like to use this vehicle for road trips as well.

Pretty much on the fence here, can anyone give me their thoughts on which would be the better buy?

Thanks!

93VR6
09-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I personally like the xterra, the 4.0 vq is a real gem and if you are so inclined you can pair it with the 6-speed manual, plus I think it looks better especially in the yellow.

bobafixed
09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
The price of the xterra is one of the main reasons why I'm considering it. Are dealerships more likely to negotiate on price for the xterra ?

I assume toyota wont entertain any kind of bargaining.

Tram Common
09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
I've driven the new 4Runner quite a bit. The one I was driving was a limited edition one though and had all the bells and whistles.

It's a pretty great truck. It's a whole new generation as well which always adds a little more bang for your buck in my opinion.

I'd recommend only going as low as the 4WD Trail version if you're interested in the 4Runner. Anything less than that and there's no real advantage in getting the 4Runner over the XTerra... at least from a pricing point of view.

I have only driven the new XTerra once though, so I'm not exactly an expert on it.

My $0.02.

syeve
09-21-2010, 02:06 PM
I have an xterra, older than you are looking at (2005 SE) and I love it. It rides like a truck, is capable offroad, lots of little storage compartments, hooks, cargo nets, etc etc. Great power for an SUV, great on gas (compared to my S4, I get over 500kms/tank everytime). And in my experience, the thing is bullet proof...nothing ever goes wrong with it.

nixrx8
09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
4Runner will resale a million times better than a Xterra.

4Runner with an upgrade package will get you leather seats,heated seats, bluetooth etc.. a 4Runner Limited will give you full-time 4WD vs a Part-time in other models, that and premium audio, bigger wheels etc...

bobafixed
09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
The base 4runner is already pushing the limits of what I'm comfortable with in terms of price.

Also, I'm not sure if I understand the part time 4WD. The base 4runner and xterra only have part time 4WD which means it wont engage 4wd on dry pavement?

InRich
09-21-2010, 03:07 PM
both cars are pretty god damn ugly.... but the 4runner is definatly the better way to go. Xterra ain't even in the league here IMO

Cooked Rice
09-21-2010, 03:08 PM
You get what you pay for really.
Engine wise, the Toyota is a lot smoother when cruising around, you get dual VVT vs single on the Xterra, also gives you better gas mileage as well. The T4R all come standard with uphill and downhill assist, you can only get it on the off-road model on the xterra. Offroading wise, full skid plating is standard on the 4x4s with the Toyota, engine, rad, diffs, fuel tank, transfer cases are all skid plated. You only get that with the Xterra offroad model. T4R: Coil springs in the rear, Xterra: Leaf Springs in the rear. you get better suspension geometry and better articulation with a coil spring hence better road contact and handing. Unless you have a heavy load on the hitch, a leaf spring has little advantage now a days.

kvg
09-21-2010, 03:11 PM
4runner -better ride
-better resale
-nicer interior

Xterra -better price
-better off road
-better motor(IMO)

I would buy the Xterra. The 4runner is an awsome truck but for the money I think the Xterra is a better buy.:dunno:

bobafixed
09-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Appreciate the break down Cooked :)

Originally posted by InRich
both cars are pretty god damn ugly.... but the 4runner is definatly the better way to go. Xterra ain't even in the league here IMO

Any suggestions for an SUV in that price range that you'd recommend?

syeve
09-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by InRich

I think they are in the exact same league, the 4runner is more $, but you get some more toys...if you think you are going to use skidplates then get the offroad xterra.

There is really nothing else in the general price range of these that can stand up to what you can put these two truck through. They are both super reliable, capable and still very truck-ish vs say an MDX which is more of a crossover feel.

Redlyne_mr2
09-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Xterra competes more with the FJ

pinoyhero
09-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Love the new 4 runner but i dont think you're comparing like vehicles, sounds like you should be after the xterra, the 4runner competes more with the pathfinder

bobafixed
09-22-2010, 08:01 AM
I know they're not direct competitors but they all fit the bill of what I'm after.

Basically anything that'll make winter a little bit miserable is the highest priority. Other then that, the wife has to like the look of it too.

STi/Evo was vetoed because of the lack of utility and the boss didnt like the look of the pathfinder/FJ, but is okay with the look of the xterra. Go figure :dunno:

SR54RNR
09-22-2010, 11:38 AM
you should look into picking up a used 4th gen 4runner. The 4th gens had an optional 2UZ 4.7L V8 engine with VVTI
with the V8 came the FULL-TIME 4WD system with a "torsen" style center diferential with diff lock and 4LO

heres a pic of my 2005 sport V8

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3026/canmoretruck.jpg

with the full-time 4wd, TRAC, VSC, and these BFG AT's this truck is unstoppable in winter conditions.

CapnCrunch
09-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by SR54RNR
The 4th gens had an optional 2UZ 4.7L V8 engine with VVTI
with the V8 came the FULL-TIME 4WD system with a "torsen" style center diferential with diff lock and 4LO

Thats a bit of an overkill for a highway driver.

InRich
09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by SR54RNR
you should look into picking up a used 4th gen 4runner. The 4th gens had an optional 2UZ 4.7L V8 engine with VVTI

heres a pic of my 2005 sport V8

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3026/canmoretruck.jpg

with the full-time 4wd, TRAC, VSC, and these BFG AT's this truck is unstoppable in winter conditions.

see now thats a good looking truck. And you'll save a TON of money. I can't believe how they managed to fuck up such a good looking truck.

SR54RNR
09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Thats a bit of an overkill for a highway driver.

the full-time AWD is simelar to subaru's because its uses a torsen center diff. this gives you traction on demand, and great controll on icy and snowy roads. the full-time 4wd was only avail on the v8's and some years of the v6 FJ.

they dumped the v8's and the full time AWD because its not all that fuel efficient. However, With my V8, K&N FIPK, and magnaflow stainless exhaust, and on up-sized 32 inch tires, I get 18.5mpg in town.

SR54RNR
09-22-2010, 12:28 PM
what I really ment was AWD > 4WD for a "highway" or city vehicle...so I dont see it as overkill at all.