PDA

View Full Version : High(er) end scotch

Super_Geo
09-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Where is the best place in town to grab a couple bottles of scotch for in the $200-300 per bottle price range?

When I buy for myself I usually just go to Superstore Liquor (where else can you beat $90 for a 17yr Macallan or $70 for a 16yr Lagavulin?), but they don't have anything above the $100/18yr range. I'm giving these as a gift... but having no experience in buying scotches in that range so I don't know what's good. If I can get a 25yr Macallan for under $300 I'd be a happy camper.

craigcd
09-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Willow Park should have something i think.

Awd-Tsi
09-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Grey goose gets ya loose.

Get some of that instead.

takkyu
09-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Awd-Tsi

:facepalm:

Amysicle
09-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Crowfoot Wine and Liquor at their main location has a pretty good selection. The higher priced bottles are locked up behind glass and there's two or three shelves worth.

you&me
09-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Talk to Andrew at the Kensington Wine Market. He's like a sommelier of single malts and a great guy. He will ensure you get a great gift and I bet you learn a few things while you're there.

sputnik
09-21-2010, 07:39 PM

a) Grey Goose is vodka for pretentious douchebags who think that paying more = better.

b) The OP is looking for scotch. Come back in 10 years when you get around to trying some.

sputnik
09-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Is this a gift or for your own personal collection?

If it is for a gift I would hesitate spending that kind of coin on a bottle of scotch. Really old scotches can really have a flavour of their own that some scotch lovers aren't too fond of.

Myself I REALLY like some expensive scotches and REALLY hate others.

I find the older the scotch the peatier and more musky they can get and taste preference really differs greatly between people.

If you are looking for something for yourself I would recommend going to a scotch tasting at Willow Park where you can sample some of the finer varieties and choose for yourself.

Str1der
09-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Grey goose

:rolleyes:

KoukiS14
09-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by you&me
Talk to Andrew at the Kensington Wine Market. He's like a sommelier of single malts and a great guy. He will ensure you get a great gift and I bet you learn a few things while you're there.

This.

AndyL
09-21-2010, 07:52 PM
zyn.ca's got some of the rarer ones...

Bruichladdich 25yr is a good bet, if you don't mind a heavy islay.

Macallan used to be one of my favorites for a nicer sippin scotch - haven't tried the 20-30yr lately; but used to be one of my favorites for indulging in a nice single malt... Those should be in the price range too.

If it's for show - go with the johnny walker :rofl:

V6-BoI
09-21-2010, 10:54 PM
CSN (at least I think that's what the place is called) on center street and 16'th ave North (across the street from the Safeway) carries some higher end scotches.

Awd-Tsi
09-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

a) Grey Goose is vodka for pretentious douchebags who think that paying more = better.

b) The OP is looking for scotch. Come back in 10 years when you get around to trying some. I sipped some scotch and felt like a wussy doing it, then I went and got a real drink

muse017
09-22-2010, 01:48 AM
I've seen some good selections at the airport liquor store

r3ccOs
09-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I sipped some scotch and felt like a wussy doing it, then I went and got a real drink

Was this cause Scotch doesn't blend well with ice and strawberries?

Maybe because you and your gf can't share a drink cause you both can't handle the peatyness?

oooh ooh wait, Scotch doesn't mix well with Rockstar or Red Bull?

lol Grey Goose is not a bad vodka at all, no... but its marketed and consumed by the more pretencious douche's I've ever known. :D (RBV - Grey Goose, yea... thats it, so much better cause you can really appreciate the vodka)

As per Expensive Scotches... I'm no expert, the most expensive I've had is just good ole JW Blue, but otherwise I'm more of a fan of Oban, Laphroig, Bruichladdich Isle of Islay, Macallan, Dalmore....

Acctuality have had an expensive glass of a 25 year Bruichladdich, but did it really have any more mellow flavor? nah

AndyL
09-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

Acctuality have had an expensive glass of a 25 year Bruichladdich, but did it really have any more mellow flavor? nah
No, you don't buy an old islay for a mellow flavor, it's going to peaty goodness once you get over 20 years. Makes for great drinking with a nice cohiba in hand.

CokerRat
09-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Best scotch I've ever tasted is Bunnahabain 25 year. $260 @ WP. It is incredible.

Dycker
09-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Willow Park
Kensington Wine Market

The Liquor Depot on 17th Ave and Center Street North. For such a sketchy neighbourhood they have a great selection.

Dycker
09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
http://www.kensingtonwinemarket.com/index.php?s_type=2

Check this out before you go talking to Andrew at the Market.