PDA

View Full Version : Car got hit, got some questions

gyu
09-21-2010, 08:02 PM
I was parked at Superstore and someone tried parking beside me and hit my rear bumper, luckily a nice lady stuck around to tell me about it and the owner did not leave the scene. I got the owner of the BMW to give me her license number, phone number, address, plate number, and they're gonna pay for it out of their pocket when I get a quote.

I'm not too familiar with this stuff so would this depreciate the resale value of the car and affect the car's status? If it does, should I ask for compensation for this as well? And is there anything that I should do/should've done?

Thanks

bignerd
09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
No one, not even insurance companies pay for the perceived depreciation to your car after an accident as it is repaired to the condition it was in BEFORE the accident-i.e. like new or in proper working order.

Your "accident" sounds incredibly minor and I doubt would show on any type of searches, you don't even have to get a sticker from the police unless it is over a thousand bucks. Lots of cars have been in fender benders in Calgary.

gyu
09-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Pics if anyone is curious:

http://img826.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=09212010336.jpg

pics are huge so didn't post directly

G-ZUS
09-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Get her to get you a new bumper and repaint it and call it a dat

Nissan_Fanboy
09-21-2010, 09:38 PM
yeah just get a new bumper and paint match. not much you can really do i guess, shouldn't effect much.
can they really do anything about a hit and run, so good thing they stayed around.

Should be fine, its a honda ;)

coal_troll
09-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Was she hot? Is there a possibility of a little something extra for your troubles? Lol

gyu
09-21-2010, 09:46 PM
No lol, she's probably mid-high 40s, and her husband was there.

Scuderia
09-21-2010, 10:08 PM
You should be golden if you got all her correct info, like full legal name, husband's name, etc, and matched it to a drivers license or photo ID. Get her to buy a new oem bumper, take it to a good body shop, paint it and install. No one will ever know, as it wasn't reported to anybody. Be honest and tell people if you ever want to sell the car. Problem with the "I'll pay out of my pocket" business is that they can give you their info, leave, and tell you to fuck off the next day. You would need a witness, and solid evidence to take them to civil court, which is a hassle in itself. If she was a mature lady driving a beamer and her husband was there why wouldn't they want to go through insurance?

Stealth22
09-21-2010, 10:47 PM
^ Could you not report that as a hit and run? I know its after the fact, but still...and OP did you get a name on your witness just in case?

Z_Fan
09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Scuderia
If she was a mature lady driving a beamer and her husband was there why wouldn't they want to go through insurance?

I've got a better question.

Why would they want to go through insurance for such a minor incident? The cost of that repair is going to be about the exact same as their deductible. Maybe only a little more.

That is easily fixable for $1k or less. A lot of people carry $1k deductibles, but at least $500. So shit, they are half way there and putting this on to their insurance record is stupid. You know, cuz one day they might need it for something major. It may also increase their insurance cost by a lot depending on their situation.

So yeah, I definitely would see why they'd just want to pay cash, have the car fixed, and never involve insurance. That's what I'd do for sure. This is little dollars.

gyu
09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
I did get the name and number of the witness just in case. So does the title and records of the car only get affected if you get insurance involved?
And even if it does not show on records and title, if I do sell the car, resale will be affected from this incident right?

Z_Fan
09-21-2010, 11:02 PM
There would be no trace of this incident if it were privately fixed.

Do not call your insurance.
Do not call their insurance.
Do not file a police report.

IMO, the damage is less than $1k and does not require a damage sticker.

Stealth22
09-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
There would be no trace of this incident if it were privately fixed.

Do not call your insurance.
Do not call their insurance.
Do not file a police report.

IMO, the damage is less than $1k and does not require a damage sticker.
This, as long as the couple does pay as promised. All you'd do when you go sell the car is say it got a minor bump in a parking lot while you were in the store, and the bumper was replaced.

gyu
09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
So they decided they want to do it though insurance and I ended up having to get a police sticker.

Am I free to do whatever I want with the insurance money or does it have to be used to fix the bumper at a shop?

G-ZUS
09-27-2010, 11:07 AM
You can take the money and do whatever you want with it BUT you won'y get the full amount. they will usually take off the tax and 20% and give u the rest

gyu
09-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Damn that sucks, that is quite a huge deduction

Would that still happen if I get it done through the shop? as in I would still have to pay some out of my own pocket to cover what they deducted from tax and the 20%?

G-ZUS
09-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by gyu
Damn that sucks, that is quite a huge deduction

Would that still happen if I get it done through the shop? as in I would still have to pay some out of my own pocket to cover what they deducted from tax and the 20%?

if you get it fixed through a shop you dont pay a cent

gyu
09-27-2010, 11:33 AM
I see.

How about for the title of the car if I just keep the money and fix it on my own or through someone else but I already a police sticker, would that be on record if I sold the car?

Kloubek
09-27-2010, 11:53 AM
It will be on record, but the "title" of your car will still be clean. It only changes to salvage, etc if the amount of damage exceeds the value (or close to it) of the car.

freshprince1
09-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Something very similar happened to me. A lady slid into my car, offered to pay for the small ding. I thanked them for taking responsibility and asked them where they would like to get it fixed, a dealer or reputable repair shop (i.e. Carstar...etc).

They chose car star. I had them phone Carstar and leave them a valid credit card number and made sure the company knew who was paying for the fix. The car was in the shop for two days. I footed the bill for my rental car. it was only $90 and it was worth it to me since they owned up to it.

It shouldn't affect resale. I kept all the documents, and when was trying to sell the car I told people there was minor cosmetic repairs done - paid for at full cost to the person who dinged the fender.

You'll be fine. Have them fix it at a Dealer or a well known shop and don't worry about hiding it from potential buyers. I would be less skeptical of buying a car if the seller provided the documents showing that only a bumper was replaced instead of somehow noticing something on my own that didn't look right.

gyu
09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
I shouldn't expect my insurance rates to go up should I? I called my insurance earlier and the person I spoke to said they're not sure if it will go up even though I am not at fault :dunno:

topmade
09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it does not show up on your vehicle report if you were to report it to your insurance or the cops. I believe it's the quote/repair from the auto shop that gets this recorded on your vehicle report.

IMO you should report this to your insurance company regardless if you're going through them or not and get a police report for the hit-n-run and not necessarily the damage to your car so it shows up on this ladys record for being a d-bag. If you get paid out privately just call up insurance and tell them it has been dealt with personally and they'll close the case.