PDA

View Full Version : Help me value my truck for insurance.

spikerS
09-22-2010, 08:46 PM
As some of you know, I was in a pretty good accident, and it looks like the truck is going to get written off, much to my disappointment.

so, I need to find a fair value for my truck, so here are the details.

2001 Dodge Ram
Regular cab
Long box
318 and auto trans
rear wheel drive
Custom box liner
no rust
air bag suspension
tow package
cracked windshield
couple rock chips
no rips or blemishes on the interior
75%+ tread on summer tires
75% tread on winter tires on winter rims
ZERO mechanical issues.

I know the insurance company is going to lowball me, and have been watching kijiji pretty closely. it seems trucks within 1 year of mine, with similar options and kms seem to be listed for between 6-8k...

Sugarphreak
09-22-2010, 09:24 PM

Rat Fink
09-22-2010, 09:40 PM

AndyL
09-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Have they been out to assess it yet? Still say bring it down to Renee at chatelaine and let them work it over - so you get the best possible payout :)

Hows the back nowadays?

Plan to set up a meeting with the boss - bring in all your receipts, pictures etc.

spikerS
09-22-2010, 09:50 PM
well, I have been off work since the accident, if I could afford Renee right now, I would do just that.

My headache is as bad today as it was back in August. my shoulders have loosened up some, and I can shoulder check again while driving. Neck is still sore as hell, and am still having issues lifting things. Doctor is still not letting me do anything physical until I have been headache free for 24 hours.

A big thanks still to everyone that showed up to help me move, I would be screwed without everyone's help.

Graham_A_M
09-22-2010, 09:55 PM
$8k sounds about right. :dunno: maybe a hair less, but thats a pretty good estimate.
but yeah; have it detailed for sure. It makes a HUGE difference. When a good friend wrote off her car they gave her much more for it then what its book value was worth; entirely because of the fact it was clean as a whistle throughout.
Perhaps some detailers on this forum can stop by and go over the truck as a way of helping out?:dunno:

ddduke
09-22-2010, 09:56 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that the 2002 is a different model and you're going to get alot more for an '02 then an '01.

spikerS
09-22-2010, 10:12 PM
alright, so shoot for $8k on the truck.

anyone know what a detail would run on the truck?

Graham_A_M
09-22-2010, 10:28 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-automotive-services-detailing-cleaning-professional-detailing-small-rust-repair-W0QQAdIdZ231034928

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-automotive-services-towing-scrap-removal-COMPLETE-AUTO-DETAILING-SERICES-STARTING-FROM-55-00-W0QQAdIdZ231689124

I used to be a detailer many years ago, if everything else fails I could give you a hand going over your truck. :dunno:

AndyL
09-22-2010, 10:43 PM
I've been practicing with the polisher - starting to get not half bad... I could lend a hand too.

Really all those little things (ie those little tiny rust spots on the rear wheelwells - that are just pinholes but are bled enough to look big) are what the insurance is going to nail you on.

I learned the lesson the hard way - as I said before, my toyota got rated poor-fair on body because of 4x'ing pinstriping... if I had known - i'd have put in a few hundred to get the extra 1500 or so to get into that 'good' range on the body... Mehcanically they couldn't care less - it could blow a blue storm, they'll never even start it; so they'll never know, it's all about how it looks to an insurance adjuster...

spikerS
09-22-2010, 11:08 PM
well, The truck should be pretty easy to clean interior wise, but you are right, might be worth the while to touch up the body on it. Andy, you available to lend a hand?

i talked with the other insurance company today, they said they would have someone over to look at the truck in the next 48 hours, so I am going to have to boogy it seems.

AndyL
09-22-2010, 11:11 PM
My schedules pretty fubared at the moment; happy to loan you the polisher - but dunno if i'll be much help in the next 48...

AndyL
09-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Well did they come? Got a decent value or?

spikerS
09-24-2010, 09:29 PM
well, apparently within 48 hours means wednesday between 8 and 2 :dunno:

AndyL
09-24-2010, 09:32 PM
:rofl: Gotta love insurance companies :rofl:

spikerS
09-29-2010, 12:29 PM
well, the insurance appraiser came out today to take a look at the truck, and thinks it will be repaired...

:nut:

So, I have to get it to a shop for repairs.

His first thought for value of the truck was $6k, and asked if I had done any research, and I told him it looks like trucks like mine are selling for about $8k, and he said that was reasonable and said that if they did write off the truck, $8k would not be an issue.

so I am happy lol. Ideally I would like my truck repaired.

So because of the frame damage, I will have to get it towed to the repair shop.