PDA

View Full Version : Info on sport compact show @ race city?

Moonracer
12-28-2003, 03:21 AM
i was browsing the race city site and see that there is a sport compact show scheduled on july 1st and was wondering if anyone knows any details pertaining to this?

Moonracer
12-28-2003, 03:33 AM
Also they say they are making improvements to the dragstrip and roadcourse. I heard (rumor) that this is because they are changing sanctioning bodies from the NHRA to the IHRA who have higher standards thus the improvements need to be made. Any input???

4wheeldrift
12-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
Also they say they are making improvements to the dragstrip and roadcourse. I heard (rumor) that this is because they are changing sanctioning bodies from the NHRA to the IHRA who have higher standards thus the improvements need to be made. Any input??? Both true. As of the end of august race city will be shutting down to repave the drag strip at the very least, and possibly sections of or the entire road course. There is also the possibility of a slight reconfiguration of the road course at the same time.

Moonracer
12-28-2003, 12:59 PM
Cool thanks for the info, I'm really hoping for the return of a few sports car series and then some. Wouldn't mind seeing supertouring and formula atlantics.

Melinda
12-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Yep there is a sport compact show supposed to be happening in July, but details arent released yet...don't worry, all in due time ;)

rage2
12-28-2003, 01:09 PM
I heard it's a sport compact drag race AND show event, that's all I've heard so far :).

Melinda
12-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I heard it's a sport compact drag race AND show event, that's all I've heard so far :).
;)

kevie88
12-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Both true. As of the end of august race city will be shutting down to repave the drag strip at the very least, and possibly sections of or the entire road course. There is also the possibility of a slight reconfiguration of the road course at the same time.

Holy crap I'm looking forward to that!! After 8 years of riding at race city I really hope they clean up the roadcourse bumps and holes all over the place.

Altho I reeeeallly like the big bump at the exit of the chichane!! If you give the bars a tug right when you hit that lip, my R1 will wheelie all the way to the bus stop :D:D:D

speedracer
12-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Holy crap I'm looking forward to that!! After 8 years of riding at race city I really hope they clean up the roadcourse bumps and holes all over the place.

Would also be nice if they moved the wall from turn 10 so I don't have to shoot for it everytime :D

Moonracer
12-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Let's hope for a bikini contest! :rofl: And a couple dj's spinnin some tunes.

Toms-Celica
12-28-2003, 02:51 PM
Good news :) Glad to know they will be around awhile longer

4wheeldrift
12-28-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by speedracer

Would also be nice if they moved the wall from turn 10 so I don't have to shoot for it everytime :D Awww, come on Brando, thats the exciting part :devil:

kevie88
12-28-2003, 04:05 PM

Would also be nice if they moved the wall from turn 10 so I don't have to shoot for it everytime :D

What, this wall? Chickens!!! :rofl:

James
12-28-2003, 04:32 PM

lol, thats an awesome pic! :thumbsup:

Moonracer
12-29-2003, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't want to lean too far into that one, take your frickin head off.

kevie88
12-29-2003, 03:05 AM
haha yeah, I'm holding my head up in that pic :D

speedracer
12-29-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Awww, come on Brando, thats the exciting part :devil:

:angel:

No - I have enough battle scars on my passenger side mirror to prove how close I come to the wall. I've come to the same conclusion from other racers that the faster line is not apexing as close to the wall.

But, where your looking ahead (in the pic) there is a barrier wall (by the tower) that is IMO too close should you wipe out as that is where you will be aiming. On a bike I've come way too close for comfort let alone a car on a wet track :banghead:

kevie88
12-29-2003, 03:22 AM
yep, I've had many friends break bones there. I have never crashed there (knock on wood) !!

That corner is soo important for fast laps (good drive down the straight is crucial!!) I really need to try to get thru there faster than I am, and that wall is holding me back mentally!

4wheeldrift
12-29-2003, 09:48 AM

But, where your looking ahead (in the pic) there is a barrier wall (by the tower) that is IMO too close should you wipe out as that is where you will be aiming. On a bike I've come way too close for comfort let alone a car on a wet track :banghead: Just about every lap in the mustang, I end up inches from that wall by the tower when the car pushes wide during hard acceleration (I've had to pick hay out of the mirror housing before). I'm always worried that one day it's going to push a little too wide and I'm going to end up with folded bodywork. Because of the angle of it, like you said you're looking RIGHT AT IT which nicely adds to the intimidation factor since accelerating hard through there is crucial for a good lap time.

Just as an FYI, the talk of track reconfiguration is dealing specifically with this corner complex, at the request of the motorcycle racers. However, if the motorcycle racers get their way it is going to dramatically increase speeds on the straightaway, which will in turn is likely to cause the track to lose its certification for road race use. They *may* be adding a chicane into the front straight to get the speeds back down again if the corners before the front straight change. Its all talk to try and please everyone at the moment, but its a distinct possibility.