PDA

View Full Version : Next week, make sure to read a controversial book

Vagabond142
09-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Those that know me, know me to be a voracious reader and writer. I love expression in text, and I personally feel it's a bit of a dying art with the modern "instant gratification" society that doesn't sit down and simply read a good book once in a while.

However, next week is especially important as it is Banned Books Week. From September 25 to October 2, read a book that has been challenged, for any reason, by censors, activists, politicians, whatever.

I don't mean you have to go out and read Mein Kampf, although it is an interesting insight into Hitler's mind. Did you know that the entire Harry Potter series was challenged by censors because it was "unsuitable for the age group it was written for due to sexuality and dangerous/fatal situations?" And older classics like Catcher in the Rye were challenged because of being sexually explicit (for the time) and overly religious?

Exercise your right to read what you want, and defend the free speech that that entails. I know I will :)

A good reference website is: http://bannedbooksweek.org/

CapnCrunch
09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Those that know me, know me to be a voracious reader and writer. I love expression in text, and I personally feel it's a bit of a dying art with the modern "instant gratification" society that doesn't sit down and simply read a good book once in a while.

However, next week is especially important as it is Banned Books Week. From September 25 to October 2, read a book that has been challenged, for any reason, by censors, activists, politicians, whatever.

I don't mean you have to go out and read Mein Kampf, although it is an interesting insight into Hitler's mind. Did you know that the entire Harry Potter series was challenged by censors because it was "unsuitable for the age group it was written for due to sexuality and dangerous/fatal situations?" And older classics like Catcher in the Rye were challenged because of being sexually explicit (for the time) and overly religious?

Exercise your right to read what you want, and defend the free speech that that entails. I know I will :)

TL,DR

Vagabond142
09-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

TL,DR

TL: DR = Read a damned book already :D

1barA4
09-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle....GI JOE!

http://fashionablygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/gi-joe-the-battle-shirt.jpg

Tarrantula
09-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I like to read :dunno:

Maybe im a rare breed in this day and age of youngsters?

(big Clive Cussler - Dirk Pitt fan)

EDIT: Brain thinking ahead of fingers. lol. Thanks for the catch ercchry!

JfuckinC
09-23-2010, 03:36 PM
ADD
i can barely play video games, how could i read a book? then the problem is, if i start reading a book and get into it, i have to finish it or else i'll forget what happened in it so i stay up all night reading haha... and i skip pages :rofl:

ercchry
09-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula
I like to read :dunno:

(big Clive Cussler - Dirt Pitt fan)

can't be that big of a fan is you spell his name wrong :rofl:

arian_ma
09-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
ADD
i can barely play video games, how could i read a book? then the problem is, if i start reading a book and get into it, i have to finish it or else i'll forget what happened in it so i stay up all night reading haha... and i skip pages :rofl:
Hahahaha what the fuck kinda reading is that you noob
:rofl:

CapnCrunch
09-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
and i skip pages :rofl:

Made me lol. :rofl:

HyperZell
09-23-2010, 04:10 PM

I lost respect for that site when I saw that it listed Twilight as one of the most challenged titles. I think people challenged it because it sucks, not it's "unsuited to age group".

Tarrantula
09-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

can't be that big of a fan is you spell his name wrong :rofl:

oops! ha ha Dirk** damn you brain! I always do that when typing.

kevie88
09-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Reading "the God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins right now. Should finish by next week!

Vagabond142
09-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

I lost respect for that site when I saw that it listed Twilight as one of the most challenged titles. I think people challenged it because it sucks, not it's "unsuited to age group".

It was removed from a lot of Southern US middle schools and libraries (from their young adults section) because it had to do with "mature subject matter." Yes, the books suck. But they were still challenged by many in the South US, and that's why it's high on the challenge list.

As to reading, it doesn't matter how you read. I am an all-at-once type myself, unless it's something like Lord of the Rings which I can only read about 40 pages per session before I'm passed out snoring XD

The point of the whole thing, to bring this back into focus, is just read something. Catcher in the Rye, MacBeth (it was challenged in its day for depictions of witchcraft), The Color Purple, Mein Kampf, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (challenged for depictions of homosexuality and crude humor)... just read something :D

takkyu
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Controversial eh? Maybe I'll read the Bible, I don't think anything is more Controversial than that bad boy.

Vagabond142
09-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by takkyu
Controversial eh? Maybe I'll read the Bible, I don't think anything is more Controversial than that bad boy.

Hah... touche

CUG
09-23-2010, 04:54 PM
I wanna read a Koran, and give it its due scrutiny :P

kvg
09-23-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm reading The grand design by Stephen Hawking. Good book so far. I think it's his way of saying GOD DOESN'T LIVE HERE PRIEST!!!!!!!:guns: :angel:

Kritafo
09-23-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2010/09/censorship-in-our-high-schools/

I just read this article the other day about censorship and reading. I know there is a book list the Government publishes every year on banned books. Always made me want the books even more.

http://www.freedomtoread.ca/censorship_in_canada/challenged_books.asp

Is the site I was thinking of.

HyperZell
09-23-2010, 07:52 PM

It was removed from a lot of Southern US middle schools and libraries (from their young adults section) because it had to do with "mature subject matter." Yes, the books suck. But they were still challenged by many in the South US, and that's why it's high on the challenge list.

As to reading, it doesn't matter how you read. I am an all-at-once type myself, unless it's something like Lord of the Rings which I can only read about 40 pages per session before I'm passed out snoring XD

The point of the whole thing, to bring this back into focus, is just read something. Catcher in the Rye, MacBeth (it was challenged in its day for depictions of witchcraft), The Color Purple, Mein Kampf, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (challenged for depictions of homosexuality and crude humor)... just read something :D

LOL @ the South. Yeah, they're the ones whose "challenges" matter.

mazdavirgin
09-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Did you know that the entire Harry Potter series was challenged by censors because it was "unsuitable for the age group it was written for due to sexuality and dangerous/fatal situations?"

I am all for free speech but Harry Potter and Twilight both need some good old fashioned book burnings. Still can't believe adults waste their time reading such abysmal crap.

Lex350
09-25-2010, 03:08 AM

Awd-Tsi
09-25-2010, 03:53 AM
Books are gay, only book i read is facebook.

HungryJack
09-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Judging by your level of general stupidity, I don't think anyone finds that a stretch.

Godfuader
09-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by takkyu
Which one? That thing has more remixes than a P. Diddy album!

codetrap
09-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by CUG

Weren't they all burned recently? :nut:

ExtraSlow
09-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Kind of hard to find one that's in English prose instead of Arabic verse.

ekguy
09-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I read a book or 2 a week most the time. Just finished The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and now reading Revenge of Gaia by James Lovelock.

Books should make you think or at least be useful hehe. Next book I'm reading is a recipe and guide on how to make different beers. Not kits, but actual beer, by using all the ingredients hehe. Kinda excited.

By the way The God Delusion is an excellent book for the atheists out there and will most likely change agnostics into atheists or will 100% challenge the faith of the most fanatical religious people.

How can one deny looking at the problem of religion from a scientific and sane point of view.

edited to add: after looking at that site posted has anyone read Slaughterhouse 5??