PDA

View Full Version : Cocky cops can suck a $%&*!!

James
12-28-2003, 04:33 AM
Normally i dont have a problem with police, but i just got a ticket on Deerfoot going 111 from a laser trap (hidden behind a huge sign) by Mckenzie where it just so happens to still be a 70 zone for about a km, which is retarded. but oh well, i WAS "speeding", that not my problem, im gonna fight it anyway becuase the ticket wasnt fully filled out.....but as they were at my car, other cars were flying by at well over 100, so i say "see, everyone still thinks this a 100 zone, that guy is going like 120".....so he says....."Well YOU should have been going 70 then you wouldnt have been pulled over, this road is not suited to be going that fast because of the curve in the road due to construction"....if he is serious,what a joke, I could take the curve he is talking about at 150 in a 5 ton truck, its not even a curve.... then he rubs it in after he took 15 minutes to right out the ticket, which he didnt even finish....finished when he got back to my car becuase my address is different now, and i hadnt changed it on the lisence yet ( which he got all pissy about)... "are you aware that since May 20th, the fines have increased for traffic violations?"...."yeaaaaaaaa"....."well, hope you realize that this is a pretty big ticket($273), and if you were going 50 over that you would get an automatic court date, so i hope the rest of your night is better".......im just a LITTLE pissed off. :rolleyes:. .....I cant express through text how cocky his attitude was, i wish traffic cops didnt have guns, cause he deserved to get knocked the F#*@ out. cocky bastard.

illeagle
12-28-2003, 05:01 AM
What a bastard, I could easily say, your wrong, BUT there is cops like that out there, and I've come accross him, twice... A 1998 corvette goes screeming by me at speeds OVER 100 MPH on NE, Mcnight... (Me and the Vette are the only cars out there) the speed trap is near NORTEL,... Who gets the speeding ticket? ME, the Vette got away. I'm in a Mini-van "clocked" at, 109 KM/H in a 80 KM zone... the cop is yelling at me, saying I was racing him, ( A 1998 Corvette vs 1996 Caravan) How do you argue with a hot head cop like that?:dunno:

The first time, i met him was a year before,... the same cop busted me for strobe lights in my headlights.( i forgot 2 turn 'em off,.. Alarm) He was a dick back then too, HE stuck his head inside the car and screamed for answers..... THEN wrote me a ticket for impersonating a police vehicle. He also tried to write tinted window tickets, but i was leagle in that department.. thank god... BTW: both times were during 6-7 PM on a weekday,

MK3HKS
12-28-2003, 05:03 AM
dont worry 70% of this forum feels your pain:thumbsup:

Ben
12-28-2003, 05:11 AM
heh, so thats who was pulled over, :tongue: dude, you of all people should know better than to speed through there, haha.

I 110% agree that it should be at least 100 on that stretch, but its not. Even at 4am on a sunday morning I still do 80 max through there. Cops love hanging out there cause the minimum ticket is like 30 over.

Ah well, live and learn.

James
12-28-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Ben
heh, so thats who was pulled over, :tongue: dude, you of all people should know better than to speed through there, haha.

I 110% agree that it should be at least 100 on that stretch, but its not. Even at 4am on a sunday morning I still do 80 max through there. Cops love hanging out there cause the minimum ticket is like 30 over.

Ah well, live and learn.

Honestly, i usually cut through mckenzie/douglasdale instead of taking deerfoot, less traffic at most times of the day among other reasons, so it completely slipped my mind that it is still a 70, so i didnt think to slow down, and i wasnt even driving like a jackass tonight, i had my cruise set at 110 for christ sake!( well 111 i guess :rolleyes: ).....another thing that pisses me off is my roomate just got in, and went 150+ the whole way home down deerfoot and didnt see a cop....my stupid luck.

Maxt
12-28-2003, 09:54 AM
Fight it, and take pictures of the curves on deerfoot and number 2 at 100 or 110 km/hr speed limits, and ask what the difference is... That 70 zone is being left like that , just for that purpose, especially right down the far end there, there is no reason for it to be 70, and even cops refuse to drive at 70, every cop that I have been behind down there, drives it 85-90 minimum...
Revenue generation, masqueradind as safety enforcment, such a bunch of absolute shit.... Thats the kinda of stuff to take to your aldermen come election time, but no one seems to remember that kinda of stuff at election time...Maxt

Z_Fan
12-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
Fight it, and take pictures of the curves on deerfoot and number 2 at 100 or 110 km/hr speed limits, and ask what the difference is... That 70 zone is being left like that , just for that purpose, especially right down the far end there, there is no reason for it to be 70, and even cops refuse to drive at 70, every cop that I have been behind down there, drives it 85-90 minimum...

The 70 zone that used to be at the end (from 22x to McKenzie) is now posted at 100. So, if you are entering the city from the south, the speed limit drops from 110 to 100 just before 22x and then is 100 all the way to the McKenzie turn-off and slightly beyond.

The area (southbound) where it is 70 is where the construction of the bridge is happening. (And shortly there after). It is 70 in both directions, and for many people, the way the lanes get cut off (especially in southbound lanes) is confusing even in the day time. Plus, hey, it's construction.

James:
As for Northbound, which it sounds like James was going, there is a small area directly beside the bridge where it goes abruptly from three lanes down to two lanes. It is 70 from just shortly after barlow all the way to 22x (which is BS) It should be 70 specifically where you got your ticket (Sorry, but true) but near the end is where the real BS 70 is...

Unfortunately it is a construction zone...you are lucky fines don't double in construction zones like some provinces and states!

As for driving a 5 tonne truck...blah blah blah...YES! I agree, you could drive that fast with no problem in a loaded SEMI. You're unfortunately missing the point. It's a pisser mostly because you got this ticket at night, when construction probably isn't even happening. That's what sucks.

If the officer had any concern for the 'workers', he wouldn't be ticketing at this time of the day. He's just stealing money for the City.

As for the ticket, if you think it is not filled out correctly and in its entirety, any decent lawyer will get that quashed in about 2 minutes talking with the prosecuter. So fight it yes...also, you should fight it anyhow and basically have the ticket reduced. Because you are only 1KM an hour in to the 'bigger' ticket range, any judge would reduce that to 39 over and your fine (and points) will decrease.

Also, your Judge might just think the officer is a dumbass prick, because not many 'normal' cops would write you a ticket which they full well know pushes you in to the next 'bracket' of fines and demerits. Especially when it is by 1Km/H. That's just a *CUNT* officer.

Oh yes, I've been there a couple times...I feel your pain.

Now, for your amusement. A small story.

When I was 16-17 years old, I had a 1988 Chevy Sprint. We lived in Deer Run in the SE. Near where we lived, we had a playground zone. My older brother came home one day quite upset. He'd just got a ticket from a 'young cop' who was apparently quite rude, and mean. My brother made him out to be quite the asshole. I thought he was just making the badness up...

About a week later, I am late for class. I hop in the car and zip away. Speeding in the playground zone, I get pulled over. Cop comes to my car. Young male, ugly as sin. Asks nicely for my Insurance, Etc. I provide it. He takes it and turns to walk to his car. About half way to his car. He stops. One hand comes up and he scratches his head. He turns around. Slight grin on his face as he re-approaches my vehicle (window still down).

He says, and I quote. "Hey, you're the punk brother of that little punk I pulled over just the other day". My response..."Oh, really. I guess that makes you the ugly asshole cop he was talking about!". <No lies, these are memories forever for me!> The grin disappears. He says nothing, walks back to his car and writes my ticket up. After this...he was completely professional to me in the delivery of the ticket. No smart ass comments, nothing. (Think he was worried some folks might actually file a complaint!!!)

When I was young, I always fought every ticket, *NO MATTER WHAT*. So, I paid my lawyer $320 and fought and won. Nice.

Moral of the story: All cops are NOT nice. Fight all tickets. *NO MATTER WHAT*.

Mckenzie
12-28-2003, 12:21 PM
That ticket really sucks. :(

I almost got NAILED during exams just before the Mckenzie turnoff. I stayed at the University really late and I just wanted to get home. So I was about to break my record of 15 minutes back to Mckenzie doing 130 in that little stretch just after 130 Ave and Just as I get near the end of the barricades, I see a cop van hiding behind the big sign. I hammered the brakes and slowed down to about 105-110. I was like "ohhhh fuck oh fuck oh fuck I'm fucked" and I crept by praying that he wouldnt turn on his lights. He never did pull me over, or catch up to me. Thank god because that would have been an automatic court appearance.

As for your ticket, I dont think you will be able to argue that it should be 100 in that stretch for these reasons:

1) The 70 zone starts just after the Barlow exit
2) It is a construction zone
3) That curve is very dangerous to drivers who do not know that the right lanes cuts off (I have seen many near accidents there for that reason)
4) There is no lighting for about 200m after the 130 Ave intersection making it a hazard that you cannot see
5) The road is very rutty and bumpy in through there

You will be able to fight it with a Lawyer or by going to plea bargain with the CP. I hate that construction zone and I am always cautious of speeding through there. Good luck! :)

fast_cars
12-28-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by MK3HKS
dont worry 70% of this forum feels your pain:thumbsup:
so true man!!!
i just hate some of them!!
:whipped: :guns: :banghead:

rage2
12-28-2003, 12:58 PM
hehe Construction zones at night sucks. Nobody working, yet they keep the speeds way down.

I almost got nailed in the Dalhousie Station construction zone back then... they were REAL sneaky there. 80km/h during the nights, 50km/h during the day when there's actual construction. Yet, on some nights without construction, they leave the limit at 50km/h and hide 5 cops there. That was evil.

I guess enough ppl complained and they left the limit at 50km/h night and day after that. But man, what a huge cash cow that section was.

Akagi Redsuns
12-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Same thing when they were building that overpass near the junction of Crowchild and Glenmore Tr. No construction around yet the speedlimit was down to 50km/hr from 80km/hr with a nice big fat bridge support on the right and a hidden left lane. Luckly I was trapped behind two cars pacing each other going 45 km/hr frustrating the hell out of me......which quickly turned to relief when there was 2 cop cars and people getting pulled over.

These zones just because part of driving in Calgary, just like common Photo Rader locations. When you driving in them do the limit, then resume speeding when you are through them, lol :)

James
12-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

Moral of the story: All cops are NOT nice. Fight all tickets. *NO MATTER WHAT*.

oh im fighting it, thats for sure, there is NO WAY im paying the whole fine, and i sure as hell am not getting demerits, i dont care how long it takes me, i'll drag this out till 2006 if i have to,......I was actually heading southbound on Deerfoot, and yes mckenzie does have some good points as to why its a 70 zone, but like rage and maxt siad , its nothing but a cash cow at night, during the day with construction workers on duty i would 100% deserve the ticket, but at night , its just lazy cops who should have something better to do.

tegdream
12-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by James

its just lazy cops who should have something better to do.

u mean nothing lol :D

James
12-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by tegdream

u mean nothing lol :D

no, they SHOULD have something better to do, it makes sense.... :tongue:

CRXguy
12-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Hey James..... Were they hiding behind that sign with the picture of the new interchange and stuff? I've seen them many times during the day, but rarely at night. Guess I should watch out now! :rofl:

James
12-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Hey James..... Were they hiding behind that sign with the picture of the new interchange and stuff? I've seen them many times during the day, but rarely at night. Guess I should watch out now! :rofl:

yep, pretty sure that was it.

ThreePly
12-28-2003, 04:37 PM
It's only 70 because of the construction for the overpass. there's not really a reason for it to dip down to 70, but I guess that's their decision. I always go 100 through there anyways. I've never seen radar there before though. sorry to hear you got stuck with a ticket, man. I'd go in and ask for a reduced fine 'cause you probably won't get it completely withdrawn.

James
12-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by ThreePly
It's only 70 because of the construction for the overpass. there's not really a reason for it to dip down to 70, but I guess that's their decision. I always go 100 through there anyways. I've never seen radar there before though. sorry to hear you got stuck with a ticket, man. I'd go in and ask for a reduced fine 'cause you probably won't get it completely withdrawn.

oh i know, i'll just get the demerits withdrawn, its been done.

97GSR
12-28-2003, 07:19 PM
This probably isn't the best time to make my introduction but as someone who knows an officer I should give their side of the story. I have ben on the receiving end of some BS tickets so I am in total agreeance with all of you here. Unfortunately, the cops are under constant pressure to issue "X" amount of tickets per month, depending on the beat they are on. If they fail to do so it goes on their permanent file and really messes up promotions and shit like that. He has admitted to giving shite tickets that he knows he shouldn't give....but it's in his best interests to do it. So, the best thing to do is watch the speed at the end of the month and keep the illegal mods to a minimum and they should....big emphasis on should....leave you alone.

illeagle
12-28-2003, 07:42 PM
so if TWO cops pull you over (one car, partner's) and hand out one ticket who get's the credit? Both cops?:dunno:

FiveFreshFish
12-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
so if TWO cops pull you over (one car, partner's) and hand out one ticket who get's the credit? Both cops?:dunno:

Must be the cop who writes the ticket.

Maxt
12-28-2003, 08:58 PM
It turns to seventy actually northbound, just around Marquis of lorne, where there is absolutely no construction activity going on, and thats what irritates me....I could see knocking down where the last overpass is being built, but for the most of it, there is no reason for it, lighting or not, what the fuck does lighting have to do with it, if lighting was tied to speed , most highways would be 70 km/hrs.. I actually think everytime they add safety measures to roads like extra lighting, signage, lower speed limits, they actually lower the bar of the standards of driving, which just enables idiots to be able to drive, which in turn makes it less safe...
It reminds me of the talk of twinning #8 to Bragg Creek, there is a big push on to do that, they say it will make the road safer, to twin and light it, I don't get it, thats what they did to 22x, and there are still morons who can't seem to negotiate a twinned, well lit highway, so they knocked the limits down by 10 km/hr all the way along, and people still find away to do smear themselves on the highway, at sometime, the city/police/province is going to have to accept that some people can't drive, even they do pass the licence requirements, and they will have have accidents/kill themselves and others, even if all roads were 10 km/h....
Its funny when the cops put on a blitz, they never say attribute a speeding problem to be a speed limit to low, that doesn't reinforce the safety lie of highway taxation, its always problem drivers goiing to fast... its funny, automotive technology has come light years when it comes to handling/crash impact/ and safety systems, but speed limits have stayed the same or gone down in the last 50 years, yet the cops still stick to the same lame story, I have emailed them several times about, they give me the same textbook answer that really doesn't address the question or the points I raised, its a fart catcher written general response retorted automatically, just to make malcontents like myself give up..
We live in the one if not the most least populated per land mass countries in the world, but we have some of the lowest speed limits, yet longest highways.. when compared to Germany and other European countries, even some Asian countries, we are heading the opposite way..
When it comes to Photo radar, why not stop fucking around, charge me 800 at the start of every year, for a test and a special licence plate sticker that gives me the right to do 50 over the limit, but some would argue that gives the rich the right to speed over others who can't afford such luxuries, big deal, we already have that now, if you are rich enough right now, you can run reds and blow through most automated speed traps with virtual impunity, actually with companies like points, and tickets working the system for a buck, even demerit point hand issued tickets can be paid off, its time for the state to cut the crap, but then they would have to admit they have been lying to us for the last 30 years or so....Maxt

James
12-28-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by illeagle

Good Question, it was the other guy who gave me the ticket, not the driver.

It turns to seventy actually northbound, just around Marquis of lorne, where there is absolutely no construction activity going on, and thats what irritates me....I could see knocking down where the last overpass is being built, but for the most of it, there is no reason for it, lighting or not, what the fuck does lighting have to do with it, if lighting was tied to speed , most highways would be 70 km/hrs.. I actually think everytime they add safety measures to roads like extra lighting, signage, lower speed limits, they actually lower the bar of the standards of driving, which just enables idiots to be able to drive, which in turn makes it less safe...
It reminds me of the talk of twinning #8 to Bragg Creek, there is a big push on to do that, they say it will make the road safer, to twin and light it, I don't get it, thats what they did to 22x, and there are still morons who can't seem to negotiate a twinned, well lit highway, so they knocked the limits down by 10 km/hr all the way along, and people still find away to do smear themselves on the highway, at sometime, the city/police/province is going to have to accept that some people can't drive, even they do pass the licence requirements, and they will have have accidents/kill themselves and others, even if all roads were 10 km/h....
Its funny when the cops put on a blitz, they never say attribute a speeding problem to be a speed limit to low, that doesn't reinforce the safety lie of highway taxation, its always problem drivers goiing to fast... its funny, automotive technology has come light years when it comes to handling/crash impact/ and safety systems, but speed limits have stayed the same or gone down in the last 50 years, yet the cops still stick to the same lame story, I have emailed them several times about, they give me the same textbook answer that really doesn't address the question or the points I raised, its a fart catcher written general response retorted automatically, just to make malcontents like myself give up..
We live in the one if not the most least populated per land mass countries in the world, but we have some of the lowest speed limits, yet longest highways.. when compared to Germany and other European countries, even some Asian countries, we are heading the opposite way..
When it comes to Photo radar, why not stop fucking around, charge me 800 at the start of every year, for a test and a special licence plate sticker that gives me the right to do 50 over the limit, but some would argue that gives the rich the right to speed over others who can't afford such luxuries, big deal, we already have that now, if you are rich enough right now, you can run reds and blow through most automated speed traps with virtual impunity, actually with companies like points, and tickets working the system for a buck, even demerit point hand issued tickets can be paid off, its time for the state to cut the crap, but then they would have to admit they have been lying to us for the last 30 years or so....Maxt

Excellent post.

Ben
12-29-2003, 12:19 AM

Haha, normally I dont tend to agree with all topics you post, but this I actually like, because it provides a statement and also backs it up with excellent points. We all agree tha James was guilty of speeding, but why that zone is a 70, or why Canadas speed limits are so retarded in alot of places is always fun for discussion. Great read.

szw
12-29-2003, 12:24 AM
If your emails are going unanswered unsatisfactorily, try sending in stuff to the guys who write the traffic columns in the paper.

They like to bitch, probably can't do anything either than bitch, but at at least more people will be aware of it. Plus fun to see your words in newsprint

sexualbanana
12-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Man, u guys write too much. :confused:

EK 2.0
12-29-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 97GSR
This probably isn't the best time to make my introduction but as someone who knows an officer I should give their side of the story. I have ben on the receiving end of some BS tickets so I am in total agreeance with all of you here. Unfortunately, the cops are under constant pressure to issue &quot;X&quot; amount of tickets per month, depending on the beat they are on. If they fail to do so it goes on their permanent file and really messes up promotions and shit like that. He has admitted to giving shite tickets that he knows he shouldn't give....but it's in his best interests to do it. So, the best thing to do is watch the speed at the end of the month and keep the illegal mods to a minimum and they should....big emphasis on should....leave you alone.

Exactly...I too know a police officer...And they all arent bad...some do make bad calls, and act as if they are the Judge, Jury and Executioner...but most are really leinient...and will respect you if you respect them...

rage2
12-29-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Ben
why Canadas speed limits are so retarded in alot of places
I was in a truck that was barely road worthy (ok maybe it's not) the other day, on deerfoot. It was frickin' scary at 100km/h.

There are a lot of vehicles like that on the roads today, so unless there are vehicle inspections yearly to ensure they can do high speeds safely, the limits are fine for the < 1% of old rusted beaters.

maximus
12-29-2003, 05:01 PM

I know this is a little off topic but you think they should increase the speed limits?? You are definately crazy. Most calgarian drivers can't handle the low speed limits can you imagine the chaos with higher limits!?!

MistaBrent
12-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 97GSR
This probably isn't the best time to make my introduction but as someone who knows an officer I should give their side of the story. I have ben on the receiving end of some BS tickets so I am in total agreeance with all of you here. Unfortunately, the cops are under constant pressure to issue &quot;X&quot; amount of tickets per month, depending on the beat they are on. If they fail to do so it goes on their permanent file and really messes up promotions and shit like that. He has admitted to giving shite tickets that he knows he shouldn't give....but it's in his best interests to do it. So, the best thing to do is watch the speed at the end of the month and keep the illegal mods to a minimum and they should....big emphasis on should....leave you alone.

Its nice to know that cops are out to get you and that if they dont give us tax payers expensive tickets and waste our time pulling us over they are in big shit. Its nice to know what the Calgary Police Service really is. FUCKING SCUM BAGS

Maxt
12-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by maximus

I know this is a little off topic but you think they should increase the speed limits?? You are definately crazy. Most calgarian drivers can't handle the low speed limits can you imagine the chaos with higher limits!?!
Now do the math sonny, lower speed limits just accomodates poor drivers, and keeps more of them on the road...maxt

ryder_23
12-29-2003, 07:33 PM

Good Question, it was the other guy who gave me the ticket, not the driver.

Doesnt matter. As long as he witnessed the infraction, or his partner clockd you and made him aware of the speed, he can write ticket...however, both have to be in court if you choose to fight it...ex: one to say he clocked a black pinto, and one to say he pulled over and wrote a ticket to the driver of the black pinto.

ExtremeSi
12-29-2003, 09:17 PM

But by increasing the speed limits, like Maxt stated, it should keep more idiodic drivers off the roads. People should be good enough drivers to have the confidence to be able to drive fast. People who "merge" onto Deerfoot at whatever speed they feel (~50km/h) are some of the dangerous drivers out there IMO. I also think we should make it a hell of a lot harder to get your license like it is in Europe and eventually adopt freeways like Germany's autobahn. I think if we were to slowly implement stricter licencing tests that require a little more knowledge and skill than how to parallel park, then the general population would have to accept these tests and could theoretically become safer, or at least more aware/skillful drivers eventually. I mean they never even took me out of a 50km/h residential zone during my driving test. Afterall i think skillful control of a car and confidence are key to safe driving. My sister lacks both and has had two accidents with the same amount of wheel time as me....

Ben
12-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I was in a truck that was barely road worthy (ok maybe it's not) the other day, on deerfoot. It was frickin' scary at 100km/h.

There are a lot of vehicles like that on the roads today, so unless there are vehicle inspections yearly to ensure they can do high speeds safely, the limits are fine for the &lt; 1% of old rusted beaters.

Yeah, Thats a good point, prhapse have manditory inspections on vehicles over 10 yrs? Just make them somewhat affordable? Lots of people wouldn't like that Idea either though, you just cant please everyone.

FiveFreshFish
12-29-2003, 10:06 PM
Speed limits, like them or not, are for all traffic. The 110 km/h limit considers the largest vehicles on the road, like this one. We don't have separate limits for trucks as we did in the past. The stopping distance of something like this rig would be considerably longer from even 120 km/h, vs 110 km/h.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/alberta_trucks/highway2/june2002/red_deer_north/beatrice_parmalat_tpd.jpg

Akagi Redsuns
12-29-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Yeah, Thats a good point, prhapse have manditory inspections on vehicles over 10 yrs? Just make them somewhat affordable? Lots of people wouldn't like that Idea either though, you just cant please everyone.

My insurance company requires that a inspection be performed to any car to be covered that is over 10 years old. Mind you it is a pretty dinky inspection, lights, brakes, tire wear sorta thing. Isn't that the case with most insurance companies?

Ben
12-30-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

My insurance company requires that a inspection be performed to any car to be covered that is over 10 years old. Mind you it is a pretty dinky inspection, lights, brakes, tire wear sorta thing. Isn't that the case with most insurance companies?

Yes, but its not that enforced, and its not required every year either.

Zero102
12-30-2003, 12:43 AM
I do agree we should have stricter licensing tests here. I have seen the ones in Germany, and I think we should adopt many of their policies. That is not to say european drivers are any better.
You can have a well trained driver, but if (s)he chooses to drive stupid, no test in the world will stop them.

There are too many non-roadworthy vehicles on our roads. I think the mandantory inspections should be forced on any car over 5 or 7 years old, as well as any previous write-off.
We should have yearly safety inspections, regulated by the government, and a reasonable price.
I have noticed, when you travel to areas that have mandantory emissions and vehicle testing, you see most of the cars on the road are in much better shape.
And this means, when you go to buy a used car, you know that it had to pass a safety every year, so it is probably in better shape than one that was just patched together to pass 1 safety.

sexualbanana
12-30-2003, 04:08 AM

Now do the math sonny, lower speed limits just accomodates poor drivers, and keeps more of them on the road...maxt

For the sake of arguement let's say the average driver goes 10 km/h over the limit. Because everyone seems to think they're safe at 10 over. Let's take Glenmore Trail for example. The speed limit is 80. Since everyone goes on average 10 over, so everyone is going 90.

What's to stop the drivers from going to 100km/h if they raise it to 90km/h? Why not 110 if they raise it to 100? Why not 120 if they raise it to 110?

People have told me that cops won't pull you over if you're going 10 over. So they'll feel just as safe going 120 when the limit is 110. We all know when the speed limit is 80, the speed limit is 80, but we all choose to break it. Most people will go 90.

Ben
12-30-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

For the sake of arguement let's say the average driver goes 10 km/h over the limit. Because everyone seems to think they're safe at 10 over. Let's take Glenmore Trail for example. The speed limit is 80. Since everyone goes on average 10 over, so everyone is going 90.

What's to stop the drivers from going to 100km/h if they raise it to 90km/h? Why not 110 if they raise it to 100? Why not 120 if they raise it to 110?

People have told me that cops won't pull you over if you're going 10 over. So they'll feel just as safe going 120 when the limit is 110. We all know when the speed limit is 80, the speed limit is 80, but we all choose to break it. Most people will go 90.

Most capable drivers should be able to handle any road at 10 over the posted limit. doing 90 on Glenmore is not a chore, its not hard, christ its 2-3 lanes divided road. However, that road would never be set at 100-110, so your 10 over rule doesn't really apply in this instance.

When I do a Buck 50 on highway 2 I feel more in control and alot more alert than at 110. Doing 110 on highway 2 is like elevator music, I get tired almost instantly.

Even IF they raised the speed limit on Glenmore to 90, and I know they NEVER would, that road is still manageable at 100.

Most of the speed limit context we're discussing here are highways. Hell, in my dream world Highway 1 and 2 would be like the Autobahn, have your car inspected for roadworthyness, take a course to prove your competancy and then you're free to go as fast as you want under good weather conditions. But thats my dream world and will never happen. I will still continue to drive at a speed that it comfortable for me. I rarely watch my speedo outside of Residential zones and Playground/school zones. I go the speed of traffic in the fastest lane, or whatever I feel comfortable with.

4wheeldrift
12-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Ben

Most capable drivers should be able to handle any road at 10 over the posted limit. Just as an FYI, roads in alberta are designed to speeds 10 over the posted limit (so if your speed limit is 80kph, the road is designed to 90). But like five.fresh.fish said, the roads are designed to accomodate the largest vehicles that will be travelling on them, generally a tractor and 2 40' trailers (another FYI, alberta is one of the only provinces that allows that configuration) or a tractor and 3 30' trailers. Now, that being said with a skilled driver and a good car you can do well over the limit on most roads reasonably safely, but the design is for the safety of the lowest common denominator.

maximus
12-30-2003, 02:17 PM

Are you sure about that?? You seriously believe that higher speed limits will keep poor drivers off the roads?? You are living in an idealistic world my friend.

A lot of people drive at least 10 over the speed limit. Driving on elbow most people are doing 60. If they raise it to 60 then most people will do 70. People will always go faster than the posted speed limit. The only thing thats going to happen if they raise the limits is that you will hit that idiot that turns infront of you out of chinook slowly with more speed and thus cause more damage. Trust me if you're not following the speed limits right now you won't when they are raised. Most people just want to raise the speed limits so their speeding fines will be smaller.

Alberta drivers can't even follow rules like slower traffic keep right on highways and slam on their brakes if you go close to them. Untill drivers get respect for fellow drivers and stop being heros on the road the limits should stay where they are. People need to focus more on their driving than other peoples. Let the real police police the roads.

If you really are concerned about poor drivers, your safety etc. you shouldn't be pushing for higher speed limits but better schooling. Raising speed limits is the stupidist thing I have heard to keep poor drivers off the road!!

sexualbanana
12-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Okay, roads are designed for capable drivers and roadworthy cars. But everyone here has at one point or another claimed that Calgary/Alberta drivers are absolutely terrible.

T5_X
12-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Normally i dont have a problem with police, but i just got a ticket on Deerfoot going 111 from a laser trap (hidden behind a huge sign) by Mckenzie where it just so happens to still be a 70 zone for about a km, which is retarded. but oh well, i WAS &quot;speeding&quot;, that not my problem, im gonna fight it anyway becuase the ticket wasnt fully filled out.....but as they were at my car, other cars were flying by at well over 100, so i say &quot;see, everyone still thinks this a 100 zone, that guy is going like 120&quot;.....so he says.....&quot;Well YOU should have been going 70 then you wouldnt have been pulled over, this road is not suited to be going that fast because of the curve in the road due to construction&quot;....if he is serious,what a joke, I could take the curve he is talking about at 150 in a 5 ton truck, its not even a curve.... then he rubs it in after he took 15 minutes to right out the ticket, which he didnt even finish....finished when he got back to my car becuase my address is different now, and i hadnt changed it on the lisence yet ( which he got all pissy about)... &quot;are you aware that since May 20th, the fines have increased for traffic violations?&quot;....&quot;yeaaaaaaaa&quot;.....&quot;well, hope you realize that this is a pretty big ticket($273), and if you were going 50 over that you would get an automatic court date, so i hope the rest of your night is better&quot;.......im just a LITTLE pissed off. :rolleyes:. .....I cant express through text how cocky his attitude was, i wish traffic cops didnt have guns, cause he deserved to get knocked the F#*@ out. cocky bastard.

That's retarded. Cops are out there to protect people. Obviously, if EVERYONE is going 100 in a 70 zone, then the safest speed to go is 100. If you are the only car going 30 under the average speed then you become an obstacle, you put yourself and everyone else at much greater risk.

Mckenzie
12-30-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

That's retarded. Cops are out there to protect people. Obviously, if EVERYONE is going 100 in a 70 zone, then the safest speed to go is 100. If you are the only car going 30 under the average speed then you become an obstacle, you put yourself and everyone else at much greater risk.

Wow.......another person who understands the concept of driving with the flow of traffic. :thumbsup:

Drivers Ed even taught us that if the traffic is flowing faster than the posted speed limit on the highways and faster roads, then drive with the flow of traffic and not the speed limit. It makes logical sense to me. I think most drivers are intimidated by driving over the speed limit to flow with traffic, and they fail to realize that driving at the speed limit or under the speed limit can actually be a hazard.

Zero102
12-31-2003, 03:18 AM
The only time I speed is in a group of traffic. It is dangerous to do the speed limit with other cars around in our city!
However, if you are out on your own, no cars around you, don't speed or they will nail your arse to the wall, have seen it happen here enough times.
That said, I recall taking driver's ed, and having an ancient japanese guy, who would always tell me that the posted limit is just that, a limit, not a challenge, however when there were other cars near, he would be the first to tell you to just keep up, even if they are speeding. (Within reason of course)

At least there are 3 of us that understand this flow of traffic thing =)

Maxt
12-31-2003, 06:44 AM

Are you sure about that?? You seriously believe that higher speed limits will keep poor drivers off the roads?? You are living in an idealistic world my friend.

A lot of people drive at least 10 over the speed limit. Driving on elbow most people are doing 60. If they raise it to 60 then most people will do 70. People will always go faster than the posted speed limit. The only thing thats going to happen if they raise the limits is that you will hit that idiot that turns infront of you out of chinook slowly with more speed and thus cause more damage. Trust me if you're not following the speed limits right now you won't when they are raised. Most people just want to raise the speed limits so their speeding fines will be smaller.

Alberta drivers can't even follow rules like slower traffic keep right on highways and slam on their brakes if you go close to them. Untill drivers get respect for fellow drivers and stop being heros on the road the limits should stay where they are. People need to focus more on their driving than other peoples. Let the real police police the roads.

If you really are concerned about poor drivers, your safety etc. you shouldn't be pushing for higher speed limits but better schooling. Raising speed limits is the stupidist thing I have heard to keep poor drivers off the road!!

You need to go and drive in a few more countries before you lable that as idealistic...
The higher the bar gets raised for driver skill, the least likley those that can't will get behind the wheel... Why do crusty old 90 year old farts, drive here? because they can handle our ridiculously slow pace of traffic...Try that in Mexico or Japan...
Our driving testing policy should be alot more stringent, our vehicle inspection policy needs to be tightened up as well.. Driving up through centre street north, begs the question, how the fuck do some of these people get licences...
The point is, all we are doing is finding ways to accomodate bad driving, and by making the rules for everyone move that direction, we are continually lowering the bar of skills, and thus safety, in the long run, pretty soon, the limits in this country will be low enough for the visually impaired to drive, or maybe we are already there...Maxt

rx7_turbo2
01-02-2004, 08:19 AM

The point is, all we are doing is finding ways to accomodate bad driving, and by making the rules for everyone move that direction, we are continually lowering the bar of skills, Maxt

That's true in more facets than just driver regulations in this country. In an effort not to offend or discriminate against anyone this country loves to lower the bar to the lowest common denominator.

James
01-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

:werd:....2 nights ago, on my way home, i decided to go 70 through this stretch (5 am), 6 vehicles passed me including a Semi, and i seriously was a hazard on the Road, one guy in a truck actually flashed his lights at me, and swerved in front of me as he was passing me, he was probably going 110.

Wookey
01-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

That's true in more facets than just driver regulations in this country. In an effort not to offend or discriminate against anyone this country loves to lower the bar to the lowest common denominator.

I would have to agree with this. It seems all the RX7 drivers are in the same vote. hehehe:thumbsup:

knees scrapin'
01-02-2004, 04:16 PM
James, fight it and of course you will win. Just like every other time.

Damn VW drivers thinkin deerfoot is the damn autobahn. BTW why were you doin 110, usually your driving at least double the limit.:D

maximus
01-03-2004, 12:11 AM

You need to go and drive in a few more countries before you lable that as idealistic...
The higher the bar gets raised for driver skill, the least likley those that can't will get behind the wheel... Why do crusty old 90 year old farts, drive here? because they can handle our ridiculously slow pace of traffic...Try that in Mexico or Japan...

I have driven in other countries....try Europe!!!
And I think that "crusty old farts" as you called them drive here because of the lax restrictions on age/ability. If you raise the speed limits they will still drive too slow, change clanes without looking, cut you off.... etc. If the speed limits are doubled the fact remains that they will still have their liscence and can get in their cars any time they want, and they will.

Obviously you have never driven on highway two or other secondary highways in Alberta ie. around Sundre, Red Deer, Olds,...etc. (just to name a few). During the day there are all old people driving on the highway and whats the speed limit on the highway?? Last time I checked it wasn't that low!! By your preposterous theory there will be no old people on the highway or on deerfoot. Last time I was driving there were. So dosn't that make you theory of raising the limit will push bad drivers off the road idealistic? Sure does.

And BTW, bad drivers also include people that don't know the limits of their cars, or drive at speeds excessive of their own abilities or their cars abilities or the conditions of the roads. That includes boy racers driving their moms SUVs at 140 on MacLeod or offramps. If you raise the speed limits they will still be on the road maybe even driving worse.

silverEL
01-05-2004, 07:17 PM
i got a ticket in the same spot, right before McKenzie turn off, and i was following a ford SUV goin 100 and they pulled us both over.

Todd

Maxt
01-05-2004, 08:18 PM
I drive a secondary highway home everynight, don't make assumptions...
If you raise the speed limits, we do have a law against obstructing the flow of traffic, thus the state would actaully be fining people who make transportation more difficult, rather than fining people for the sole purpose try to deal with a road system that makes transportation difficult...
But In Canada, slow is percieved as safe, and that is just not true..
If you have a road, where people are continually getting nailed for speeding, do you have a speeding problem , or a speed limit problem? Take 37 st by the indian Reserver right now, the limit has been reduced to 50, there is no construction taking place right now, its basically shut down for winter, that road was 70 before, but, the police are out there, nailing everyone, in the name of traffic safety, how can that road be inherently any more dangerous now than it was for the last 20 years that it was 70 for... Its not....
As for the crusty old farts, driving in Japan, old people stayed off the freeways,for the most part, people drive like a bat out of hell there, and I found people to be very lane conscious....
Its not just crusty old farts here that is the problem, its everyone, not paying attention, raise the speed limits by 30 km/hr, and you will have to pay attention...
BTW, the next thing that should be done is ban cell phones while driving...Maxt

I have driven in other countries....try Europe!!!
And I think that &quot;crusty old farts&quot; as you called them drive here because of the lax restrictions on age/ability. If you raise the speed limits they will still drive too slow, change clanes without looking, cut you off.... etc. If the speed limits are doubled the fact remains that they will still have their liscence and can get in their cars any time they want, and they will.

Obviously you have never driven on highway two or other secondary highways in Alberta ie. around Sundre, Red Deer, Olds,...etc. (just to name a few). During the day there are all old people driving on the highway and whats the speed limit on the highway?? Last time I checked it wasn't that low!! By your preposterous theory there will be no old people on the highway or on deerfoot. Last time I was driving there were. So dosn't that make you theory of raising the limit will push bad drivers off the road idealistic? Sure does.

And BTW, bad drivers also include people that don't know the limits of their cars, or drive at speeds excessive of their own abilities or their cars abilities or the conditions of the roads. That includes boy racers driving their moms SUVs at 140 on MacLeod or offramps. If you raise the speed limits they will still be on the road maybe even driving worse.

hockeybronx
01-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Fuck The Police, fuck em all.:guns:

Nadz
01-11-2004, 03:40 AM
:werd:

Akagi Redsuns
01-13-2004, 04:21 PM
snip.....
BTW, the next thing that should be done is ban cell phones while driving...Maxt

I agree with this, but ban ALL cell phones while driving, not just handhelds. So many times I have seen that its not the one hand on the steering that causes accidents and close calls, it's the mental concentration on the phone call that leaves nothing to the act of driving that causes accidents and close calls. So many times I have seen SUV drivers, taxi cabs and company trucks with handsfree systems still driving with thier head up thier ass not paying attention to anything around them. I realize they have a business to conduct, but wait till a red light, pull-over or have some bloody common sense to keep concentrating on the traffic around and driving while having the phone call. If you can't do it, don't talk on the phone. Not that hard. Would be nice to educate on it since common sense is now a rarity. If it can't be done, I am willing to give up using the cellphone while driving if others have do. Decrease my anxiety while driving in this brainless city.

sputnik
01-13-2004, 04:30 PM
that area has been a 70 zone for over a year now... and the signs arent hidden

ICEBERG
01-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Try driving in Europe. Me and the wife went to visit my uncle in germany last year. We rented a Peugeot 206 while we where there. I was on the Autobahn going 175 in the middle lane when people where passing me like i was standing still. Then with the same car we went to Turkey and Greece. All i can say is Good luck driving in those countries. Most people who drive in Calgary wouldn't have a chance on the roads in Turkey. If you try GOOD LUCK. :D

Xtrema
01-13-2004, 06:40 PM
So many topics here, I'll try to squeeze in my 2 cents

1) Driver training/exams are too lax. Training should be done in levels, at least 3 with 1 level progressively harder than next. Trainee should be able to experience performance driving, obstacle course, accident simulation etc. Exams should be done at each renewal regardless of age. Also, exams should be done in manual transmission. I find people who can drive manual pay more attention to driving. Insurance should give discount for level of training a person get.

2) Too many cars are not safe to drive but still on the road. I advocate some kind of mechanic signed safety check required every 2 years for cars 3 years or older before the vehicle can get renewed. So if the car is not road worthy, it won't be on the road. Should adopt California type emission control.

3) Autobahn between Calgary & Edmonton is a good idea but will never happen. I wonder if anyone will build a tolled highway without speed limit. I'll definite pay the toll for the priviledge.

joegrang
01-16-2004, 09:35 AM
I got one just south of Calgary at the turn off To heritage Point, Pitch black I was going 141 in an 80 zone my first ticket.. What's gonna happen.. I thought the limit was 110 past 22x but I guess I was wrong also couldn't see any speed limit signs

Xtrema
01-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by joegrang
I got one just south of Calgary at the turn off To heritage Point, Pitch black I was going 141 in an 80 zone my first ticket.. What's gonna happen.. I thought the limit was 110 past 22x but I guess I was wrong also couldn't see any speed limit signs

Who gave you ticket? RCMP or City of Calgary?

I'm surprised your car didn't get towed.

How old are you? How long did you have your license? What's the actually speed the cop wrote down? Is it really 61km/h over or did he give you a break?

Normally, this is going to be 4 point dermerit + fine. I doubt you can argue you way out of this once ticket is written. Your best option now is to spend some $$ get a traffic lawyer to see your chances to fight it off. Otherwise, just pay the ticket and get ready to get raped by insurance.

joegrang
01-17-2004, 06:48 PM
well the thing is out there there are no lights it's my first real ticket.. he didn't even give me a fee to pay its a manditory court appearence... I haven't been down that road in years and thought that past 22x it was 100 there on the ticket it said the zone was 80 and speed was 141.. shit I was kinda stupid

joegrang
01-17-2004, 06:50 PM
yea it was cps, I'm 23 suprised I didn't get my car towed either.. nope he didn't give me a break cuz this one's most likely gonna be big for him

James
01-18-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by joegrang

With a Ticket that big, your best best it to see pointts ( traffic lawyers).... if you go to court, your probably gonna lose, which will mean a huge fine ($500+), and a probable Lisence suspension/and or 5-6 Demerits.