PDA

View Full Version : Future Shop killed my car speaker - what should I do?

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 04:56 PM
I went to Future Shop C.Hills at 10am this morning to get them to swap out my deck (bought 2.5 weeks ago and installed by the same guy) for a high end Pioneer. Everything was working perfect when I brought it in, sound from all 4 speakers.

After hes done I notice the front left speaker isnt working. I asked him about it and he said its dead. I said theres no way in hell its dead. I asked if he can double check the connections and he flat out refused. He didnt even want to deal with me once the install was done.

All he said was that he hooked up the wiring the same way it was hooked up when I brought it in an hour ago. Hes a rude SOB and has a horrible attitude. His name is Jason @ the C.Hills location.

I dont know what the hell his attitude problem is but he was even giving his co-workers lip service and I really have no time for that BS.

So I talked to the store manager and he said that he cant do anything because its out of his hands and not their liability! So In other words im screwed by Future shop! They wont even take 20mins to double check the connection.

Now my left front speaker is dead and now I have to go out and buy a new pair of fronts? Plus pay to have it installed...again? WHEN IT WASNT EVEN MY FAULT!

theken
09-25-2010, 05:01 PM
I don't understand why people still go to future shop to get their car audio done, there is countless threads about how shitty they are.

inline6turbo
09-25-2010, 05:05 PM
So no one has checked the connections?

Pull the deck out yourself and check.

Find the two leads that come from that speaker to the deck, then put a AA battery between them (you'll have to cut the wires to do this obviously) and see if connecting the battery makes a popping noise from the speaker. If the speaker works like that then it's either a connection issue or it's a fault with the new deck.

This whole process may take you 20mins.

I hope this made sense, it'll avoid you buying new speakers prematurely

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo

Find the two leads that come from that speaker to the deck, then put a AA battery between them (you'll have to cut the wires to do this obviously) and see if connecting the battery makes a popping noise from the speaker. If the speaker works like that then it's either a connection issue or it's a fault with the new deck.

I thought i could just slide the deck out and check it from the back without having to cut any wires?

The thing is my fronts are 6'' and thats the max it can fit, not even 6.5. But Future shop doesnt sell 6'' and the next smallest to that is 5.25.

inline6turbo
09-25-2010, 05:22 PM
That was to check if the speaker was dead or not.

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 05:27 PM
That was to check if the speaker was dead or not.

Ok ill check it right now, thx!

btimbit
09-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Talk to the manager again. If he refused, find a different manager/district manager, etc. A friend of mine had a car starter installed there and they cracked her windshield pretty good. It took some arguing, but Future Shop payed for a new windshield at the shop of her choice.

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Talk to the manager again. If he refused, find a different manager/district manager, etc. A friend of mine had a car starter installed there and they cracked her windshield pretty good. It took some arguing, but Future Shop payed for a new windshield at the shop of her choice.

I called back the C.Hills store and asked again what their store will do and all he said was he can do the 30% off too, wtf? They should be giving me a new set of speakers!

I told him that i want a new set and ill be taking it elsewhere to install it, the guy who i normally get to install. But its just that this morning he wasnt available and i didnt think FS would do this.

If anything they should be giving me a new set of fronts, PLUS refund me the $70 install fee. Since I basically paid $70 for them to kill my front left speaker.

How do you get in touch with district managers?

ReflexFX
09-25-2010, 05:53 PM

If he went to future shop to get a new deck installed I doubt he'll want to pull his new deck out himself. :dunno:

If I were in your shoes, I'd just beef it out with his manager.

Rat Fink
09-25-2010, 05:53 PM

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 05:56 PM
I want to get a hold of the district manager, anyone know how to get their contact number? The store wont give it out and the mgrs at this store are utterly useless. All they could do is 30% off new set, serious? 30%? pppppfff :thumbsdow

I dont give a rats ass if your store loses money on a set of speakers! It was 100% your fault! Why should I have to pay for a new pair of speakers when he fucked up?

roopi
09-25-2010, 06:00 PM
If you buy new speakers don't pay for an instAll. You realize it consists of 2 screws and 2 wires right? Any monkey can do this.

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by roopi
If you buy new speakers don't pay for an instAll. You realize it consists of 2 screws and 2 wires right? Any monkey can do this.

you need to pop the car door panels off and requires special screwdrivers. ive seen it done and its really not something just anyone can do.

Rat Fink
09-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Disoblige
09-25-2010, 06:23 PM
copynpaste, no you don't have to pay for the install again because you're not going back there for installations.

If you're not comfortable installing your own equipment, there are some Beyond members that are good at audio installs on here and will likely not charge you a huge premium for their services. :)

Donmega
09-25-2010, 06:24 PM
They should have owned up to it!! I wouldn't give up that easily. They ALWAYS cave in.....trust me.

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Donmega
They should have owned up to it!! I wouldn't give up that easily. They ALWAYS cave in.....trust me.

Im not giving up, I still want to talk to the district manager. The managers at this store are dumb as rocks, they aint doing anything more than the 30% off. :thumbsdow

09-25-2010, 06:37 PM
You wont get the district manager. Chances are you wont even get the store General manager.

But if you really want to pursue and fight.

You can drop this name and see what happens.

Ask for Mike Chorney's contact info - He is the highest you can go for car audio / car install for bestbuy / futreshop - at least he was when I worked for the company

He may now essentially be the VP of car audio for bby / FS.

Guillermo
09-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Did you try calling and/or emailing customer care? https://www-ssl.futureshop.ca/en-CA/secure/contactus.aspx?path=48f2489cc00e23c316d0b8152da3e068en99

Spoons
09-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Well I used to work with Jason and he is a close friend, but I am not going to involve myself with this.

He is on this forum though.

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Well I used to work with Jason and he is a close friend, but I am not going to involve myself with this.

He is on this forum though.

Since youre a close friend of his, I must ask, what the hell is his attitude problem? Seriously...

And you know what? Im glad hes on beyond cause I hope that jackass reads this thread and knows im not just gonna let this slide.

swak
09-25-2010, 07:12 PM
What do you drive?
New/old?

Is it a possibility that the speakers wore out?

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 07:17 PM
I got a phone call from the manager again at teh C.HIlls store. He said that everytime they do installs at FS they do a brief inspection of the car to note if anything isnt working (so that theyre not liable). He said that he talked to the install prick and he said my front left speaker wasnt working when he pulled it into the garbage. Which is a complete lie because i was playing music out of them literally mins before walking into the store.

He still said 30% off is the best he can do and he can do discount on anything else in the store if i need anything.

THeres a game that comes out next week and he said he can do a $40 discount on it ($60reg price).

Originally posted by swak
What do you drive?
New/old?

Is it a possibility that the speakers wore out?

01 civic, the car speakers are 3 weeks old.

Spoons
09-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste
Since youre a close friend of his, I must ask, what the hell is his attitude problem? Seriously...

Although attitude is never warranted, you don't want to know what that man has been through. This is not me talking out of my ass. I would never care to explain what he has been through, but short story is if you knew, you would completely see why he is the way he is now.

Now let me make this clear, I AM NOT TAKING JASON'S SIDE, I AM SIMPLY SPEAKING ON MY KNOWLEDGE. I used to sell car audio. With a deck install, they are going no where near your speaker, nor is there any real way that he could have shorted something frying your speaker. It was the deck, the car is off when you are changing the deck. I feel as though this is simply a really shitty coincidence that your speaker happened to be on the verge of dieing, and it did at a really inopportune time. But there is no way to prove either side, so your hooped. Just check the connection yourself, it really isn't that hard to get at your speaker, and it will save you the headache.

But like I said, he could have done it without the attitude.

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 07:26 PM

Although attitude is never warranted, you don't want to know what that man has been through. This is not me talking out of my ass. I would never care to explain what he has been through, but short story is if you knew, you would completely see why he is the way he is now.

Talk to Tyler, he's the GM. He's a fucking douche clown, BUT just stand up at the front till you get what you want, and he will. With FS, you HAVE to make a scene.

Read my post above, talked to Tyler and hes sticking by 30% off and $40 off a $60 game.:rolleyes:

Spoons
09-25-2010, 07:28 PM

Read my post above, talked to Tyler and hes sticking by 30% off and $40 off a $60 game.:rolleyes:

I edited. Tyler will get you no where which is what I realized. Read again.

dj_rice
09-25-2010, 07:47 PM
When I had problems with Futureshop, I emailed their complaint line and a couple days later the Director Of Operations Western Canada contacted me to resolve the situation.

His name was Joe Strigl, whether he still is the VP or not, I dunno but ask to speak to him.

*Upon Googling, LinkedIn says he is Direction of Op for The Bargain Shop now, so no dice for you

silvercivicsir
09-25-2010, 08:01 PM
How do they crack a windshield by installing a car starter?? were they too rough with the antenna??

Originally posted by btimbit

msommers
09-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Can't you buy adapter plugs for any car and audio maker that doesn't require any splicing to the new deck? If so, there would be no way in hell something could have shorted.

Otherwise who knows. Maybe they touched the 12V and ground to the speaker wires somehow.

G-ZUS
09-25-2010, 08:11 PM
me thinks he didnt hook it up properly or used shitty crimps and a wire came lose

Spoons
09-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Can't you buy adapter plugs for any car and audio maker that doesn't require any splicing to the new deck? If so, there would be no way in hell something could have shorted.

Otherwise who knows. Maybe they touched the 12V and ground to the speaker wires somehow.

Yeah there is vehicle harness' for pretty well any car out there now, making it impossible for something to short. Which is why I'm pretty sure it's just a bad coincidence. Just take your $20 dollar game and 30% off new speakers and cut your losses.

mazdavirgin
09-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Electrical stuff in cars is so simple I really don't get why people let other people work on their cars... I mean it's a lot simpler than pretty much anything else you can do in terms of mods. Really if you sit down and actually try doing it you would probably be shocked at how quickly you can get it done :)

LadyLuck
09-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Whatever it may have been that he went through...he should not be letting it out on his customers with his attitude...or is this a socially acceptable thing these days?

:dunno:

Spoons
09-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

Whatever it may have been that he went through...he should not be letting it out on his customers with his attitude...or is this a socially acceptable thing these days?

:dunno:

Oh I completely agree, I can safely say that the attitude wasn't necessary.

calgary350z
09-25-2010, 10:23 PM
call the store and just ask for the general manager.Tell him when you brought the car in they were all working fine and now there not. I bet it will go further

eb0i
09-25-2010, 10:57 PM

01 civic, the car speakers are 3 weeks old.

You can find numerous DIY instructions on the net on how to remove car panels, especially for a 01 Civic.

copynpaste
09-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by calgary350z
call the store and just ask for the general manager.Tell him when you brought the car in they were all working fine and now there not. I bet it will go further

I did this like 3 times with the store manager, he keeps saying

"Jason told me the left speaker wasnt working when he pulled it in before the install started" - which is a complete lie!

"we cant just give a new set of speakers" - uhh like I give a shit? Youre taking a loss of $200 not $2000.

"all i can do is 30% off new set" - bullahit, so 30% off basically just eliminates your profit margin.

He claims that since i got my speakers installed elsewhere that theyre not liable.

He said if thats not ok with me then plan B is to take my car into honda to get the speaker damage appraised on a written sheet and take it to him, then I would take my car to a mechanic that FS recommends and get another appraisal from him, then back to FS and when he sees it from his mechanic he will cover the full cost of damages.

:thumbsdow

calgary350z
09-26-2010, 12:00 AM
I see, sorry i didnt know you talked to him

Kardon
09-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by calgary350z
I see, sorry i didnt know you talked to him
Thats cause you read the first post then hit reply, ignoring 2 pages of answers.

DAGO
09-26-2010, 01:32 AM

you need to pop the car door panels off and requires special screwdrivers. ive seen it done and its really not something just anyone can do.

Buy new speakers, and ill install them for you.

Cooked Rice
09-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Could very well be that the deck is faulty too. Take your install receipt, go to another store. Ask them to take a look at it. Installs are lifetime warranty. Don't just go saying "the speaker is dead" you don't know that. If it's a bad connection, they'll fix it, and go on with ur day.

mazdavirgin
09-26-2010, 09:48 AM

I take the panels off with my fingers... All frankly how much is this special screw driver going to cost compared to getting someone to install it for you. My car doesn't require a special screw driver though lol. But yeah it's so simple I really think pretty much anyone could do it...

copynpaste
09-26-2010, 09:48 AM

Oh I completely agree, I can safely say that the attitude wasn't necessary.

If that idiots past life is so bad, its still no excuse to take it out on his customers or co-workers. Hes obviously never heard of a physcologist before. He should do himself and others the biggest favour and look into one, they do wonders.

And the fact that the moron mnager Tyler hires someone with an attitude like that speakers volumes on his pathetic management acknowledgement and awareness.

ex1z7
09-26-2010, 10:34 AM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_you_need_for_a_2001_honda_civic_door_speaker_upgrade

You really don't think you can handle that? Go get a screwdriver and stop being a bitch and do it yourself.

adidas
09-26-2010, 10:50 AM

He is the only person thats been through hardships in his life?
Every individual has had to over-come shit in their life, so dont come in here saying hes been through a lot.

hampstor
09-26-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't see in here the results of testing your spkrs either with a battery like Renee suggested, or where the deck was pulled out to verify the harness was properly installed.

I'm not condoning the attidude by FS at all (which is piss poor based on what you've said), however you're coming across in this thread like you want FREE speakers instead of diagnosing the problem (be it the new deck, wiring, or the speakers). If you approached a FS manager like that, they will likely think the speaker was dead before and you're pulling their chain for free speakers.

My recommendation would've been to go back and say after the install, the speaker is not working and ask for another tech to verify the install/deck. Even put the original deck back in to check. However, since you've already gone down the 'I want free' road, I'm not sure if they'd be receptive to this approach.

copynpaste
09-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
I don't see in here the results of testing your spkrs either with a battery like Renee suggested, or where the deck was pulled out to verify the harness was properly installed.

I'm not condoning the attidude by FS at all (which is piss poor based on what you've said), however you're coming across in this thread like you want FREE speakers instead of diagnosing the problem (be it the new deck, wiring, or the speakers). If you approached a FS manager like that, they will likely think the speaker was dead before and you're pulling their chain for free speakers.

My recommendation would've been to go back and say after the install, the speaker is not working and ask for another tech to verify the install/deck. Even put the original deck back in to check. However, since you've already gone down the 'I want free' road, I'm not sure if they'd be receptive to this approach.

I did what Renee suggested and guess what? The detachable face doesnt even pop off. The right side does but the left side wont budge at all. Ive popped off deck covers before so I know how easy they should come off. And I aint forcing it cause i dont wanna break anything.

Again great job Jason on the install! I will take it to the Sunridge location today where a guy Chris who I met with a couple weeks ago is great and very helpful and HAS A GREAT ATTITUDE! You hear that Jason? Cause im sure youre reading this wonderful thread by now. Its time to drop the attitude loser.

Once I get back from seeing Chris I will post back with what he says after he checks everything. The fact that I have to go to another store to get it fixed and the original installer literally gave me the finger when I asked him to check it is fuckin pathetic and speaks volumes about the piece of trash you are. And how you felt lying to your boss yesterday was the best solution to get yourself outt of this, should be enough reason to releieve you from your job.

One of these days you will be in my shoes...trust me....what goes around comes around.

Clever
09-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Reminds me of a similar experience I had with the old Futureshop on McLeod, I thought it could have been the same guy but this guys name was Lawrence or Lorne, regardless those guys get so miserable and take it out on clients or customers that is just unprofessional and juvenile, cut your losses and move on.

copynpaste
09-26-2010, 04:08 PM
I just got back from another FS location and the wiring for that front left speaker wasnt properly connected to the back of the deck. Its all fixed now and the guy was really helpful and courteous and friendly about it all. Take a hint next time Jason and drop the attitude, it will actually get you places in life.

I emailed back the idiot store manager and told him and said "how do you feel now knowing Jason lied to your face saying my speaker wasn't working when he drove it into the bay and when he did the inspection? I knew he was full of shit right from the start. PEOPLE AINT FUCKIN STUPID JACKASS! Its one thing to lie but another when you're not very good at it. Hes nothing but rude, unprofessional and a liar. i wont be recommending him to anyone I know for any kind of service period."

I demanded I still get my $40 off my game next week for all the hassle and bullshit from the jackass and he said its fine.

Guillermo
09-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I just got back from another FS location and the wiring for that front left speaker wasnt properly connected to the back of the deck. Its all fixed now and the guy was really helpful and courteous and friendly about it all. Take a hint next time Jason and drop the attitude, it will actually get you places in life.

I emailed back the idiot store manager and told him and said "how do you feel now knowing Jason lied to your face saying my speaker wasn't working when he drove it into the bay and when he did the inspection? I knew he was full of shit right from the start. Its one thing to lie but another when you're not very good in doing it. Hes nothing but rude, unprofessional and a liar. i wont be recommending him to anyone I know for any kind of service period."

I demanded I still get my $40 off my game next week for all the hassle and bullshit from the jackass and he said its fine.

HAHHAHA, REALLY???? BOO!!!! talk about absolute SHIT service. I can't believe that loser lied to you about the speaker being broken when you brought it in. Seriously, if I was the manager, Jason would be getting fired. And if the manager doesn't take action over this, he probably doesn't deserve to have a job their, either. :guns:

copynpaste
09-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

HAHHAHA, REALLY???? BOO!!!! talk about absolute SHIT service. I can't believe that loser lied to you about the speaker being broken when you brought it in. Seriously, if I was the manager, Jason would be getting fired. And if the manager doesn't take action over this, he probably doesn't deserve to have a job their, either. :guns:

I knew he was lying from the start. Its not so much the fact that he lied to me but he lied to his bosses face. That alone right there warrants him getting his ass fired.

When he said my speaker wasnt working once he pulled my car in, I knew that was fishy. I AINT FUCKIN STUPID JASON! Sorry but speakers dont just instanteously die like that, especailly 3 week old speakers and speakers that I was running literally 2mins before him pulling the car into the bay.

If I was the manager I would can his rude ass but we all know Tyler has the intelligence of a turnip and wont do jack shit. He will go to the bay, give his loverboy a little spanking and theyll make up.

msommers
09-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Good to hear you got it sorted out.

Jason sounds like a real class act. Fuckin douche.

micheal.m
09-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Jason does have a really bad attitude and needs to be adjusted for sure.

You can email Tyler this thread at: [email protected]

copynpaste
09-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by micheal.m
Jason does have a really bad attitude and needs to be adjusted for sure.

You can email Tyler this thread at: [email protected]

Thanks for the suggestion, Ive been in contact with Tyler with that same email today and really emailing him this thread would do nothing since he has the intelligence of a turnip.

Having an employee working for you lie flat out to your face should immediately get you canned but we all know Tyler wont do jack shit cause hes so fuckin clueless.

WHen i asked him how he felt knowing jason lied to his face and he didnt say anything. Gee I wonder why!

Jason youre a brave soul, lying to your boss and the customer!

Guillermo
09-26-2010, 10:20 PM
I still think you need to contact corporate headquarters and report both the installer and the manager.

https://www-ssl.futureshop.ca/en-CA...8152da3e068en99

copynpaste
09-26-2010, 10:59 PM
I still think you need to contact corporate headquarters and report both the installer and the manager.

https://www-ssl.futureshop.ca/en-CA...8152da3e068en99

THat link isnt working, can you try pasting it again?

I did open a file yesterday with the customer care 1800 line and they got back to me today saying they forwarded it to the operations manager and will be in touch with me.

Im hoping the link you posted is different dept cause i will most definitely be still filing a complaint against them. How they handled it was absolutely pathetic.

I dont care who the hell you are or how special you think you are, lying to a customer and lying to your boss just cause youre a lazy piece of shit and didnt want to spend the extra 15mins to diagnose the problem should get you fired. No excuses. And this is coming from someone who has worked for many many companies in my lifetime where management had absolutely zero tolerance for lying.

Guillermo
09-26-2010, 11:07 PM

THat link isnt working, can you try pasting it again?

I did open a file yesterday with the customer care 1800 line and they got back to me today saying they forwarded it to the operations manager and will be in touch with me.

Im hoping the link you posted is different dept cause i will most definitely be still filing a complaint against them. How they handled it was absolutely pathetic.

I dont care who the hell you are or how special you think you are, lying to a customer and lying to your boss just cause youre a lazy piece of shit and didnt want to spend the extra 15mins to diagnose the problem should get you fired. No excuses. And this is coming from someone who has worked for many many companies in my lifetime where management had absolutely zero tolerance for lying.

https://www-ssl.futureshop.ca/en-CA/secure/contactus.aspx?path=48f2489cc00e23c316d0b8152da3e068en99

Disoblige
09-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Good job Jason. I'm glad you got exposed. You probably don't give a crap given your terrible attitude to copynpaste, but way to represent a company you work for. If you can't be honest and offer good customer service, then GTFO. :thumbsdow

This is why places like Future Shop have a bad rep for installations. It's because of people like YOU.

copynpaste
09-27-2010, 08:57 AM

https://www-ssl.futureshop.ca/en-CA/secure/contactus.aspx?path=48f2489cc00e23c316d0b8152da3e068en99

Thanks, ya thats the one I have an open file with. I will be calling them back today to follow up on it.

tehwegz
10-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I think its retarded that he never double checked every thing. how lazy can you get? he could've killed a half hour of however long his shift was. my job is boring enough I find myself doing whatever to kill time.

DIY is the way to go, I installed my own aftermarket deck and speakers and yesterday I bought another deck. I took the old one out, cut the harness off of it, did all the splicing, made sure I correctly matched all the wires, wired the harness to the new deck, plugged it in to the car and it was good to go. took me about a half hour. of course I got help doing it the first time around, gave me confidence for DIY. :)

cream
10-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Futureshop guys that have worked on my car are cool :thumbsup: Just for a car alarm install, I chilled in their garage and watched it all, chilled on the massage chair, chatted.