PDA

View Full Version : So what do you do?

Melinda
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Here's a question for my fellow photogs.

This is just from a curious standpoint as a WWYD situation. What would you do if you noticed a photographer who seems to have no creative ability of their own beyond taking other photographers' work and essentially doing exact copies of it? Same location, same pose, same everything. Would you do anything or laugh quietly to yourself?

Now say it was your work that was being 'ripped off' and coppied by this person? Would your reaction change?

I realize that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but when it comes to creating art, that pretty much is a load of crap. And in the age of internet sharing where anyone can see what you're doing and easily 'make it their own', it's hard to really do anything, especially since they did essentially create a new photo, albeit the exact same photo created by you at an earlier date.

But what would you do? And be honest with yourself. Would you get mad? Call them out on it? Slander them? Laugh and walk away?

I'm interested to hear the responses, keep it civil though guys.

sr20s14zenki
09-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Well, lets be honest, do you think she will change if you DO call her out on it? Most likely not, people dont change, ESPECIALLY sleeze bags.Most likely the confrontation would cause issues, or maybe cause her to slander you now, and she didnt before the confrontation. I would laugh about it, and realize that anybody who wants your work, truly wants YOUR work and can see through her as the ripoff artist she truly is. You may not think that people know, but they do. In the automotive world, it kinda works the same way, my friend makes a manifold, another guy takes pictures of it so that he can send them to china to have them manufactured. He says, yep, well when your chinese piece of crap fails due to crappy material and cracking because of this, you can come to me and buy a real manifold. A crude copy is just that, a crude copy.

In the end, IMO, you just need to be the better person, and realize that losers eventually weed themselves out. I have been faced with the same situation, regarding working on other peoples cars. I have faced the slander, and in the end, i come out looking good, why? Because im honest and dont make promises i wont keep. I warranty my work, and stand by it, and im honest about that, and nothing can take that from me. In the end, the good person will win over the slanderous haters.

Bukka
09-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I've had it done in the past, and it really hasn't bothered me.
Usually it comes up short on the vision I personally had for my image.

I mean it's not like they're going to the same location with the same person, wearing the same outfit, with the same lighting conditions. Something will always be out of tune with what your original vision was, especially when it comes down to editing.

HiSpec
09-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I would laugh quietly and let them copy. But yet at the same time keep taking photos which shows your originality and creativity, sooner or later the other people will see your are being copied because the copier can't keep up with your style.

You can copy material and content but you can't copy originality.

EvolizePhoto
09-26-2010, 03:05 PM
i do things specifically and add certain thingsto the image that only i know how to do. melinda you have your ownstyle, and you are very good at what you do, when i seea baby picture i can tell right away wether its yours or not, and ive seen alot of dif baby pictures on lots of forums, none look like yours.

i dont think you should worry about it, they will be nobody in 2 years.

i have people copying how i shoot track/drift andmy editing, i don't care though. you have to learn how to copy other peoples styles before you can develop your own, and usually those noobs with noskills or creative direction give up rather quickly

Jlude
09-26-2010, 03:51 PM
so who is it? Spill it!

Melinda
09-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone, it's interesting to hear the different perspectives.

Originally posted by Jlude
so who is it? Spill it!
Haha, no. This person has shown an overwhelming inability to take any sort of critism, and afaik, they've been called out by another photographer for the same thing and it didn't end well.

The post was more just a curiosity thing. I just wondered how other people in the industry/business/hobby would feel about the same thing happening to them.

Jlude
09-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Thanks for the responses everyone, it's interesting to hear the different perspectives.

Haha, no. This person has shown an overwhelming inability to take any sort of critism , and afaik, they've been called out by another photographer for the same thing and it didn't end well.

The post was more just a curiosity thing. I just wondered how other people in the industry/business/hobby would feel about the same thing happening to them.

haha... was it someone who posted in this thread? ;)

The_Rural_Juror
09-26-2010, 07:15 PM

That would be too funny.

EvolizePhoto
09-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I think I know who it is!!

Go4Long
09-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by EvolizePhoto
I think I know who it is!!

If this post was created by mike I would know for sure...

Melinda
09-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Not so far, nope.

EvolizePhoto
09-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long

If this post was created by mike I would know for sure... Okay now I am confused lol. How would my post be made by Mike lol

Go4Long
09-26-2010, 08:08 PM
I meant the original post. But meh.

EvolizePhoto
09-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
I meant the original post. But meh. I see where you're going with this. Nice try.

The_Rural_Juror
09-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Blame it on the coupe.

ZorroAMG
09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Melinda, as a true artist you know this I'm sure but here goes:

Their photos will never be as good if they are not creating and exploring new ideas on their own. You will continue to learn, to grow, to change and your photos will reflect that shoot by shoot. This tool bag will simply be copying and playing catch up. There's nothing you CAN do other than keep creating and keep letting this loser look like a chinese knock off of the photography world.

The biggest fuck you is "peep this...have fun copying...again."

abyss
09-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah I'm inclined to agree with everyone else about just continuing to do what you do and fuck the imitator... although it is brutally annoying when they're getting major props for their copycat photos. Especially as a photographer, because they can just keep copying you and making money that should've been yours right?

However...big however...

I also have a copycat (as you know) and while I'm not a photographer I am still an artist of sorts so I know how incredibly infuriating it is to have someone ripping off work you put so much time into. Sometimes it's nice to tell these people off, but for the most part, it's really not worth it I've found. They are already well aware they're stealing your designs.

You're more than welcome to vent to me as I'm sure I owe you a couple hours in return for all the venting I've done to you haha.

The_Rural_Juror
09-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

The biggest fuck you is "peep this...have fun copying...again."

There's no better advice than this advice from the teddybear guy.:D

88jbody
09-26-2010, 10:37 PM
no one has copied me yet, they rather copy someone good

Mitsu3000gt
09-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Does it really matter? I don't think it would bother me. If someone was so easily copying something that I did, it would be motivation to be better if anything. It is also possible that someone comes up with an idea that is original to them but happens to be the same or similar as someone else's idea. Nobody owns the rights to locations, poses, etc. so who cares?

IMO, if any work is so easily copied with such precision, it probably wasn't that good or original to begin with (to be clear I am not talking about anyone here, just in general).

JTI
09-27-2010, 12:38 AM
As photographers, we are all inspired by others. Just like renaissance artists who were inspired by the painters before them. Nothing has really changed. It's what you do with that inspiration and the ability to make it your own, is what will separate you from the pretenders.

I had one of my signature images copied from a member on this forum, just like you did, Melinda. Same exact location, same processing, same pose, same EXACT concept. Except of course, mine looks way better. :)

But what can you do? I do find it flattering, even though he's already said my image had no influence on his.... uh huh. It doesn't matter because when other people or photographers see it, they know it's a JT shot anyway. It's how I found about it in the first place. Others brought it to my attention.

Like I said though, what can you do? People will always copy, but they will never BE you.

syeve
09-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Nothing is original, it has all been done before.

ZorroAMG
09-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

There's no better advice than this advice from the teddybear guy.:D

LOL that tiny stupid role paid rent for 3 months....in Van! :D

Tomaz
09-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by JTI
As photographers, we are all inspired by others. Just like renaissance artists who were inspired by the painters before them. Nothing has really changed. It's what you do with that inspiration and the ability to make it your own, is what will separate you from the pretenders.

I had one of my signature images copied from a member on this forum, just like you did, Melinda. Same exact location, same processing, same pose, same EXACT concept. Except of course, mine looks way better. :)

But what can you do? I do find it flattering, even though he's already said my image had no influence on his.... uh huh. It doesn't matter because when other people or photographers see it, they know it's a JT shot anyway. It's how I found about it in the first place. Others brought it to my attention.

Like I said though, what can you do? People will always copy, but they will never BE you.

Took the words out of my mouth.

At the same time, nobody wants to steal my work yet. I kind of wish people did want to steal it though... :(