PDA

View Full Version : Single-serve coffee

mago0
09-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Hey beyond,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the single serve coffee makers. I was looking into these:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/bosch-bosch-tassimo-single-serve-coffee-maker-tas4511uc-silver-black-tas4511uc/10132901.aspx?path=06f87cd3f094a6ef078b7148f92e92e0en02

or

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/keurig-single-serve-coffee-maker-kub60/10114810.aspx?path=a96f7fa8bd465a331ac9f08dc19d9301en02

I noticed there are two different types of single serves: T-disk and K-disk. I am a coffee drinker, but occasionally, the fiance and I like to try some espressos, lattes and tea. I am pretty sure both types are able to make different types of drinks. Anyone here tried any of the other drinks besides coffee?

Let me know beyond :)

Guillermo
09-26-2010, 06:18 PM
I don't have either of those types, but I have had coffee from them. IMO these are overpriced gimmics. You can make far better coffee in the same amount of time for far cheaper with a regular drip, percolation, or press-style coffee maker.

Just get a coffee grinder, coffee maker described above, and high quality beans. It only takes about 1 minute in the morning to grind your beans and start the coffee. then go brush your teeth, etc., and when you're done you have high quality, steaming hot coffee that is far superior to that pre-made packaged crap, and costs a mere fraction of the price.

Euro_Trash
09-26-2010, 06:18 PM
I've got one of the Tassimo units (T-disk) - I like it for the coffee, but not the lattes and cappucinos (I'm pretty picky though). At work we have a full size K-disk unit, and it's unreal how many different drinks they make in those K-disks. Either way I think you will be happy - the single use is just so convenient.

Abeo
09-26-2010, 06:36 PM
We are testing coffee machines at my work right now, trying to settle on a new machine. The Tassimo and Flavia machines sucked (bitter, plasticy, bad tasting coffee), the Keurig is actually pretty good for what it is and has a good coffee selection. I have a coffee grinder/drip machine set up in the back because the other machines were so nasty, but the Keurig is an acceptable alternative (it won me over, I was skeptical at first). None of the three do a good espresso, unless your idea of a good espresso is concentrated regular coffee.

You should give them a try before buying, I still prefer fresh ground drip coffee or real espresso, but the machines are definitely more convenient (and the Keurig is quicker, too).

lint
09-26-2010, 06:38 PM
had an espresso machine and grinder and it was way too much effort for a cup of coffee, especially since we aren't coffee snobs. sold it and picked up a tassimo for a fraction of the cost and love it. the time savings easily makes up for the difference in quality. love that I can have a different kind of coffee for each cup and it's consistent every time.

bourge73
09-26-2010, 06:51 PM
I have the Keurig its awesome for coffee, those K cups work quite well. There are also various types of coffee (Bold, Organic, South America Blends, Hazelnut, and the list goes on....) l Havent tried the Latte, etc but I assume its not really good for that, although the Hot Chocolate is good. ps. I saw the Keurig on for $ 119 @ London Drugs for the Elite model. Has everything you need.

kaput
09-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Eride
09-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Costco has a Keurig that comes with like 200 K-cups and the self serve dispenser as well for like $179 or something. Bought it and we love it.

PeterGTiR
09-26-2010, 07:02 PM
I have one of the Tassimo coffee machines and it makes a decent cup of coffee. The only problem that I notice with it is that it only makes enough coffee for a standard cup; if I wanted enough coffee to fill a coffee mug, you have to hold down the button to run more water through the coffee grounds. It would be nice if it could do it automatically.

The Keurig coffee is less widely available than the Tassimo coffee; The Superstore that I go to only carries the T-Disks. I've noticed the T-Disks almost everywhere: Superstore, Safeway, London Drugs, the Bay.

Jlude
09-26-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm not a huge coffee drinker but some mornings I enjoy a cup, the coffee makers you have listed are perfect.

project240
09-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Eride
Costco has a Keurig that comes with like 200 K-cups and the self serve dispenser as well for like $179 or something. Bought it and we love it.

Same with us. Costco definitely seems to give you the best value.

We tried the Tassimo and found the Keurig superior for us, both in taste as well as variety.

Euro838
09-26-2010, 08:19 PM
If you like Starbucks and lattes and such, then go for the Tassimo. I believe Keurig has Timothy's coffee and van haute.

If you are a coffee drinker, then go for the keurig. The advantage with the keurig is that you can buy the reusable coffee shot that you can put your own coffee grounds into.

Doing this will significantly give you more options since you can just buy your own grounds and use it for single portions. It will also reduce the per shot cost too.

People are also selling re-usable liners for the k-cups on ebay too.

mago0
09-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks beyond!
I decided to go with the keurig from costco. I'll pick it up tomorrow and let you guys know.

r3ccOs
09-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Those Keurig's make a great 6oz worth of coffee... but thats really it per brew..
concider a Large is typically 14-16... its really bad ecology and costs

In our office, just my dept alone, we go through close to 140 k-cups a day...

I'd prefer if we had good Urns, cleaned and good coffee supplied from Timothys or 2nd cup.

its fricken retarded, facilities has mandated 2 options:
buy any kind of k-cup Keurig coffee we want or suffer crap coffee from a no-named vendor in open pots on caraffee machines

I dont' get it

bourge73
09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
My large in my Keurig is a shade over 9 oz plenty enough for one cup :dunno: (even the small is 7 oz)

Neil4Speed
09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
I am not a huge fan of the K-Cup machine I bought. I am no connoisseur (ie. My favorite blend is Mcdonalds), but overall I found the Nescafe Instant Coffee gave a better brew for me than the Keuirg (comparing similar convenience). Otherwise simple drip peculators give a much superior coffee.

r3ccOs
09-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
My large in my Keurig is a shade over 9 oz plenty enough for one cup :dunno: (even the small is 7 oz)
The variable size'd machines are new... but its pretty wattered down when you choose medium or more