PDA

View Full Version : Cedar shake siding

Bisklimpkit
09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm planning on installing some cedar shakes as siding in the gables on my house (see attached file for where the shakes are to be located in the gables). The problem I'm having, before I get started, is figuring out where I would put the nails on the first shake in the first course of shakes. From what I can tell, this shake will just be a small triangle so my nails will both be showing and most likely will split the shake.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nufy
09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Wouldn't your shakes go from the bottom to the top ?

The next row would cover up the nail holes of the previous.

As for splitting the shake, pre-drill them first...

InRich
09-27-2010, 11:37 PM
DUDE PLEASE dont go with this shakes for siding.... I think these houses with cedar siding look just aweful

if you want, my company can do stone for ya whereever you need to put cedar shakes, I'll give you cost +10% as long as you post pictures after the fact.

that house looks beautful and I think your gonna ruin it man. no offence. I can probably do that house from what I c in the scetch for around 10 - 13k installed... I'll of course give you plenty of referances, and testimonals, and I can take you to lots of houses we have done, so you can see the quality of work we do.

Bisklimpkit
09-28-2010, 08:43 AM
@ Nufy - The problem I'm facing is that the first shake in the bottom corner of the gable would be a small triangle. If it was an 8" wide shake, it will come to a point at the bottom corner, and then will still only be 4" tall at the opposite top corner. I'm planning on a 7" exposure, so there won't even be another shake above this one.
@ InRich - I've actually already got all of the stone and siding done and just have that little bit of shakes left to do. My wife prefers the look of shakes over vertical siding, and I'm planning on putting a solid stain on the shakes that will accent the color of the siding on the house. It's only a total of about 30 sq ft of shakes (only required in the small gable above the front door, and the gable forming the upside-down 'V' above the bonus room over the garage). The other problem with your offer is that I live near Saskatoon, but I appreciate your concern!

benyl
09-28-2010, 09:08 AM
What ever you do, seal all the shakes before you install them.

They will otherwise bleed and look like shit within a year.

Muji
09-28-2010, 09:31 AM
My parents have cedar shakes on their entire house, nice waking up at sunrise to the hammering of another woodpecker seeking his/her breakfast. Love the look when done right, can do without the alarm clock though.

With benyl here, seal the shakes 100%.

CapnCrunch
09-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by InRich
DUDE PLEASE dont go with this shakes for siding.... I think these houses with cedar siding look just aweful

It seems he has a different opinion than you. I personally think cedar shakes look great as accents, much better than the fake stone that 99% of Calgary is putting on new homes.

+1 on sealing. I don't like the faded grey look they eventually get.

codetrap
09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

It seems he has a different opinion than you. I personally think cedar shakes look great as accents, much better than the fake stone that 99% of Calgary is putting on new homes.

+1 on sealing. I don't like the faded grey look they eventually get.

I disagree. I haven't seen one shake job that looks good. The stone is so much cleaner, and with the many many variations of stone out there I think it's much nicer. Shakes always look weathered and crappy after a year. I don't know about this for sure, but I suspect that the shakes also provide a nice home to all sorts of bugs etc, whereas stone is pretty impermeable.

Bisklimpkit
09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Well, I only paid $30 for the shakes so I'm going to try slapping them on and see what I think. I may not be able to get to it until next spring, but if I remember to, I'll post pictures here and let you all have a look.

This is the first house that I've built (I'm an architectural designer with some construction background) so I gc'd the entire build myself. I did the foundation, framing, window and door install, built the deck, installed the stone, and did the landscaping. I'd like to hear what people think of the finished product. And yes, I'm open to criticism! :thumbsup: So here's hoping I remember to post pics.

phreezee
10-05-2010, 02:44 PM
My builder used staples. Sealing/staining/painting them is a PITA because they are so porous and the groves require extra strokes.

Bisklimpkit
10-07-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm planning on using galvanized siding nails. I'm also going to be putting two coats of stain onto the shakes before I even put them onto the house. In the few places where my fasteners are exposed I guess I'll just try staining over them and see how it goes. Since all of these shakes are on the north face of my house and will pretty much never see any sunlight, I'm hoping I won't be re-staining too often. Getting to the ones above the bonus room is going to be a huge PITA.