PDA

View Full Version : Home appliances

Pages : [1] 2

89coupe
09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Anyone have a preference? One brand vs another? Pros/Cons?

I'm in the process of building a home & we are picking out appliances this weekend. Just curious if you have had good or bad experiences with a particular brand.

lint
09-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Going by your lunch budget:
Sub Zero fridge and freezer, Viking range, Dacor double wall oven, Miele dishwasher

benyl
09-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Sub Zero FTW!

I hope you are building in your fridge and freezer... None of that free standing shit.

Bosch makes some cool shit.

89coupe
09-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Do both of you have Sub Zero in your homes?

We are doing floor to ceiling cabinets with built ins. Dual-ovens, cook-top, not sure if I should go induction or gas, chimney style hoodfan, dishwasher, winecooler/beverage unit & fridge/freezer.

Already purchased the washer/dryer.

sputnik
09-28-2010, 10:21 AM
I have an Electrolux Fridge/Range/Microwave. They are all great. Built in fridges are okay until you need to replace it and the hole you have doesn't fit any of the fridges on the market.

I also have a Bosch dishwasher that is "panel ready" so the front of it looks like the rest of my cabinetry.

However if your cabinet guys don't know how to install it properly it can look kinda crappy. You basically have to install the cabinets to the smallest opening in which the dishwasher will fit otherwise you will have large gaps on either side of the door and it wont look like the rest of the cabinet gaps in the kitchen.

Ultimately you have to figure out your appliance budget and go from there.

I would go to Coast Appliances and not bother with the other guys. Even Trail is pretty crappy and expensive compared to Coast.

CapnCrunch
09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
It's not beyond baller style, but 2 years ago when I built I chose the Frigidaire Professional series. Side by side fridge with the water/ice thing, gas top electric stove, dishwasher, washer and dryer. Everything worked great.

I really liked the low key look of the stuff.

lint
09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm not a baller like you. A Sub Zero fridge can run you $25K, same goes with the freezer. Make sure you stock it with Rockstar Energy Drink and Crystal. Miele makes a modular cook top that allows you to customize the parts. You can have one induction, one gas, one grill if you like.

89coupe
09-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

I would go to Coast Appliances and not bother with the other guys. Even Trail is pretty crappy and expensive compared to Coast.

Our builder deals with Trail, so we don't have a choice. We have to pick our appliances first so the cabinet makers can design around them.

Anyone have an induction cook top? Do you like it?

lint
09-28-2010, 10:38 AM
If you go with induction, make sure all your pots and pans are steel or cast iron. No aluminum.

benyl
09-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Don't buy GE.

Induction is only good if you have the cookware to go with it.

sputnik
09-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Anyone have an induction cook top? Do you like it?

Induction is noisy due to the fans needed to cool it.

Unless you REALLY need to boil water in 90 seconds I would just stick with a high quality ceramic cooktop or gas.

sputnik
09-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Don't buy GE.

:werd:

Also don't waste your money on a Miele dishwasher. Bosch and Blomberg use the EXACT same motors and inline water heaters. With Miele you are just buying a name.

With dishwashers stick with the european models too. They don't macerate the food chunks (your plumbing will thank you) and they don't vent the steam into the kitchen either (they condense it and send it down the drain).

They also have built in heaters for getting the water hotter and keep the drying coils under the tub so that your plastics dont melt.

e31
09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Something to think about...

It sounds like you are building in the city, but do you ever expect to have power outages? Especially ones lasting longer than a couple hours?

It is for that reason that I went with a gas stove instead of electric. It's the only utility that works in a blackout (other than landline phones). Mind you, I live outside the city but usually every winter there is some form of blackout in my area.

Mitsu3000gt
09-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Aren't the failure rates on the "higher end" stuff like Viking, Miele, Sub Zero, etc. higher than the regular brands? Thats what I've been told anyways, so I'm just curious in that respect.

Anyways I have Frigidaire Gallery Professional series stuff and I am really happy with it. Quality seems to be very good.

Also a lot of the higher end appliances are 95% the same as a different model that costs a lot less, so do your homework. I think sputnik is getting at the same thing above.

Induction is pretty cool, my parents have it at their house. It's incredibly easy to find pots and pans that work with induction, so no worries there. It's safer too if you have kids around.

benyl
09-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Induction is pretty cool, my parents have it at their house. It's incredibly easy to find pots and pans that work with induction, so no worries there. It's safer too if you have kids around.

What if you have a $5,000 pot set that isn't compatible?

Kenmore is rated best on Consumer reports...

89coupe
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
I was curious about induction because its easy to keep clean, thats all.

Sub zero is a wee bit out of our price range. We are leaning towards Electrolux right now.

We went with LG for the washer dryer, they were just too cool...LOL

Euro_Trash
09-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Not sure if the deal is still on, but my parents just bought some new Miele stuff and they got a great deal on the extended warranty (can't remember if it was free or just discounted, I remember it being a really good deal though). This was through Miele, so if it's still on you should be able to get it with Trail

sputnik
09-28-2010, 11:50 AM
We are leaning towards Electrolux right now.

If that is the case. Don't waste your money on the Wave Touch controls. Most of their appliances command a $200-400 premium just for that.

Sure, it looks cool. But its a PITA having to tap the screen to illuminate the display and then tap the screen again to set your stove/oven/fridge etc.

sputnik
09-28-2010, 11:52 AM

$5000 for a pot set?

Even a high quality commercial set of All-Clad pots and pans is around $2000.

Did you buy some magical pots at the Stampede scam showcase or something?

89coupe
09-28-2010, 11:53 AM

If that is the case. Don't waste your money on the Wave Touch controls. Most of their appliances command a $200-400 premium just for that.

Sure, it looks cool. But its a PITA having to tap the screen to illuminate the display and then tap the screen again to set your stove/oven/fridge etc.

Haha, you seem to know a lot about this stuff. Do you work for an appliance company?

sputnik
09-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Haha, you seem to know a lot about this stuff. Do you work for an appliance company?

I just dropped a mint on kitchen appliances a couple months ago and I do my research.

CapnCrunch
09-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by e31
Something to think about...

It sounds like you are building in the city, but do you ever expect to have power outages? Especially ones lasting longer than a couple hours?

It is for that reason that I went with a gas stove instead of electric. It's the only utility that works in a blackout (other than landline phones). Mind you, I live outside the city but usually every winter there is some form of blackout in my area.

Mine had an electric igniter. :(

lint
09-28-2010, 01:00 PM

$5000 for a pot set?

Even a high quality commercial set of All-Clad pots and pans is around $2000.

Did you think he might have copper cookware?

sputnik
09-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Mine had an electric igniter. :(

Matches or a lighter work too. The gas flows regardless.

sputnik
09-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by lint
Did you think he might have copper cookware?

Even higher end copper cookware would only run you about $2000 for a set.

89coupe
09-28-2010, 01:13 PM

I just dropped a mint on kitchen appliances a couple months ago and I do my research.

What did you get? New home or reno?

lint
09-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Even higher end copper cookware would only run you about $2000 for a set.

Benyl's a baller. Maybe he has gold plated copper cookware.

benyl
09-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Dude, I am half asian.

I buy my shit at T&T for $10. We are giving advice to the resident Beyond lunch baller. He demands the best, so I assume that he buy expensive pots and pans. haha.

89coupe
09-28-2010, 01:37 PM

Dude, I am half asian.

I buy my shit at T&T for $10. We are giving advice to the resident Beyond lunch baller. He demands the best, so I assume that he buy expensive pots and pans. haha.

LOL, the only real "baller" that I know on these forums is redline.

I'm just an average joe building an average home.

89coupe
09-28-2010, 02:04 PM

So are you gonna share what brand/s you went with?

Was this a new home build or a reno?

CapnCrunch
09-28-2010, 02:18 PM

Matches or a lighter work too. The gas flows regardless.

Mine didn't. :(

89coupe
09-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Mine didn't. :(

Probably a safety feature, so you don't flood the house full of gas if it doesn't ignite.

sillysod
09-28-2010, 02:24 PM
We built about 3 years ago and I spent a fair amount on appliances and to be honest most didn't work out so well.

The builder appliances were ghetto frigidaire so I kept the dishwasher and full size fridge for the bar in the basement. The oven I gave to a buddy because the builder was going to give me a $150.00 credit for it. haha.

1st. LG French Door fridge with dual freezers (freezer in door for ice) - I wanted french doors but ice in the door. It was hard to find this so we had to spend a little more $$$ (around $4000.00).

This fridge has been a complete piece of shit. I have replaced the defrost heater in the lower freezer, then 2 months later the main CPU board in the door, then 6 months later I replaced the motor for the ice ejector. All of which was NOT covered by waranty through trail. This and the fact that I am buying plastic clips that hold the drawer lids every 6 months because they are so fragile make this the worst of our appliance blunders.

http://thecoolgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/LG-Refrigerator.jpg

The dishwasher we purchased was a Bosch Stainless Steel (around $1500) one and it too sucks. I as going to buy the same Asko one my parents and sister have but decided to save $$ and buy this piece of shit. You have to be super careful not to put dishes that you don't rinse properly or it will plug up the pump and flood onto the hardwood in the kitchen (we got to replace the boards in the kitchen island area 2x now).

For a microwave we got the Frigidaire Professional, again complete piece of shit. Sometimes it just starts making noise and vibrating, I replaced the thing and the second one does the same fucking thing. It was around $500.00 so not that big a deal, but would not buy again.

The oven on the other hand is fucking awesome. It is by far the best purchase we made. Even shitty delicio pizza comes out fucking retarded in this thing. I think we paid somewhere around $4000 or $5000 for this thing.

http://www.appliancist.com/kitchenaid-range-commercial-style-48-inch-kdrs467vss.jpg

Anyways just my experiences with these appliances. In my old place I had GE profile everything and although it was kind of lame I never once had to repair anything.

89coupe
09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
We built about 3 years ago and I spent a fair amount on appliances and to be honest most didn't work out so well.

I heard a lot of bad things about LG fridges as well. Who did you build with?

mo_money2supe
09-28-2010, 02:50 PM
My wife and I moved into our new house just 2 months ago.

For the cooktop/hoodfan, we went with this combination:
-JENN-AIR 36" INDUCTION COOKTOP
-BROAN 36" DOWNDRAFT HOODFAN

Sorry for the caps lock, I just copy & pasted from our purchase order.

So far, we are both LOVING the induction cooktop. Cleanups are a breeze it's a joke, we never have to worry about our (future) kids burning themselves on the cooktop, food consistently cooks perfectly and evenly throughout making the food taste IMHO better too, the cooktop itself is significantly more efficient in sending out the power (since the energy goes straight into the pot/pan itself) so our electricity bills are surprisingly lower than our previous townhouse's bills, we placed it in our kitchen island so the cooktop looks flush with the island, and it just makes for a cool talking piece. The only downside I see is that the heavier gauge stainless steel pots/pans that we had to newly purchase weigh quite a bit more than your standard Canadian Tire brands, so washing them does get tiring on your wrists after awhile.

As for the hoodfan, we opted for a pop-up hoodfan instead of the chimney style but upped the HVAC to handle 500 cfms (enough to compete with most chimney style fans). Together with the induction cooktop, both these pieces make the island look clean, sleek and contemporary. And again, they make for awesome conversational pieces.

2 :thumbsup: for an induction cooktop!

whiskas
09-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Don't buy GE.

Induction is only good if you have the cookware to go with it.

Take a magnet, if it sticks to the bottom of the pan, it will work with induction.

Induction is easier to clean, more energy efficient, and heats up faster.

The only benefit to gas ranges is that they make your kitchen smell like farts.

codetrap
09-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

Take a magnet, if it sticks to the bottom of the pan, it will work with induction.

Induction is easier to clean, more energy efficient, and heats up faster.

The only benefit to gas ranges is that they make your kitchen smell like farts.

What? Smell like farts? What kindof crappy stove did you have?

Also.. it's true that induction is more efficient than Gas. 40% ish for Gas vs 80% ish for induction. However, you can buy a really nice NG range with convection for $1200, and the cheapest decent induction range I've seen is $2400. So, you have to factor in that extra $1200 in your calculation. Now, keeping in mind that I have a NG stove, and I used approx $9 of gas last month. Say half of that for cooking rounded up. $5 for cooking in a month. Assuming that the gas and electric costs are the same, you're saving roughly $3/month by having a more efficient induction stove, that only cost you $1200 more. It would take you 33 years to earn that money back with your energy savings.

Mitsu3000gt
09-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Kenmore is rated best on Consumer reports...

Haha what would that be? Pure copper or something?

Xtrema
09-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Gas stove is best if you do real cooking. And it should have less parts to break and should last forever. I can't stand electric any more.

I was talking to a repairman as he said basically all appliances are crap now and you won't get more than 2-3 years with them before problems shows up. And parts now cost more as they get more exotic.

C_Dave45
09-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Who's your builder, Brad?

89coupe
09-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Who's your builder, Brad?

Albi

sillysod
09-28-2010, 07:46 PM
As far as the smell goes I've never noticed, but i have the range fan and circulation fan interlocked with the range, so it is always on. The major difference is the oven is actually gas (most are gas cooktop and electric oven).

Brad, I had the misfortune of building with Cardel. I really really wanted a detached garage for the toys so we were pretty much stuck with either Cardel or Avi in the south. I have a few friends that built with Albi and they are super happy, I am sure you will be too.

Wrinkly
09-28-2010, 07:53 PM
I had a Bosch Dishwasher in a previous house, which I loved - very quiet. Since had a Meile, which is also great. Have a new one waiting to be installed.

Have a Meile Washer and dryer - best I've ever owned. Super efficient and very quiet. Highly recommend and worth the extra dollars. Going strong for five years now and zero issues.

Got a Sub Zero side by side with ice and water dispenser in the door about a year or two ago - honestly wish I hadn't bothered. I dont' think its worth the price tag. The ice maker drives me nuts because it spews ice all over the floor every time. The Amana that came with the house (and previously a Kitchenaid) were much better in that respect. Both of those also had a crushed ice option, which surprisingly, the Sub Zero doesn't.

89coupe
09-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Avi builds amazing homes, sorry about your misfortune with Cardel.

C_Dave45
09-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Albi
*nod*...they do nice homes. Are you putting a steam shower in your ensuite?

Make sure your basement has enough room for one of these bad boys:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Pedestal%20table/IMG_2492.jpg

89coupe
09-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

*nod*...they do nice homes. Are you putting a steam shower in your ensuite?

No steam shower, but full body showers & 10mm glass.

My basement is fully developed, theater room, bedroom, office & bathroom. No room for poker room. But I have a nice fold out for the dining room. Haha. I'm gonna host a cash game once I move in.:thumbsup:

sillysod
09-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Avi builds amazing homes, sorry about your misfortune with Cardel.

I built during the boom and have a buddy that was working for Avi, I saw the way they built stuff and it was absolutely horrible. My neighbours on both sides are Avi homes and they are terrible too. I thought I would be smart building with Cardel. :facepalm:

89coupe
09-28-2010, 08:18 PM

I built during the boom and have a buddy that was working for Avi, I saw the way they built stuff and it was absolutely horrible. My neighbours on both sides are Avi homes and they are terrible too. I thought I would be smart building with Cardel. :facepalm:

Geez, that sucks. I think everyone got screwed during the boom. I haven't heard any bad things about Albi yet, gulp, knocks on wood...LOL

sputnik
09-28-2010, 09:34 PM

So are you gonna share what brand/s you went with?

Was this a new home build or a reno?

Already mentioned this in a previous post.

Electrolux Fridge/Range/Microwave

Bosch (panel ready) Dishwasher

It was a complete kitchen reno in a 1950s bungalow including a set of ultra modern Nolte cabinets that came straight from Germany.

89coupe
09-28-2010, 10:00 PM

Already mentioned this in a previous post.

Electrolux Fridge/Range/Microwave

Bosch (panel ready) Dishwasher

It was a complete kitchen reno in a 1950s bungalow including a set of ultra modern Nolte cabinets that came straight from Germany.

OK, so I'm on track by leaning towards Electrolux.

sillysod
09-28-2010, 11:10 PM
honestly, dont buy a bosch dishwasher. Look at the Asko or anything but bosch or kitchen aid for dishwashers. (door springs break in the kitchen aid dishwashers and the door doesn't close properly)

The Electrolux stuff is high end GE and looks awesome. Wish I bought their fridge and dishwasher.

89coupe
09-28-2010, 11:21 PM
honestly, dont buy a bosch dishwasher. Look at the Asko or anything but bosch or kitchen aid for dishwashers. (door springs break in the kitchen aid dishwashers and the door doesn't close properly)

The Electrolux stuff is high end GE and looks awesome. Wish I bought their fridge and dishwasher.

Pretty sure Electrolux has nothing to do with GE, but it does own Frigidaire.

CapnCrunch
09-29-2010, 08:13 AM
I'd also recommend a gas stove top w/ electric oven. Gas ovens are terrible.

JordanLotoski
09-29-2010, 08:50 AM
I went with thermador throughout my kitchen. Check out the freedom series fridges. They are sleek, separate fridge and freezer.

http://www.thermador.com/kitchen-appliances-refrigerator-modular_refrigeration_professional-series.html

codetrap
09-29-2010, 10:14 AM
We just bought this one.. RF263AFRS (http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/home-appliances/refrigerators/french-door/RF263AFRS/XAC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=) Got it for $1400 from sears on a price match. Gonna pick it up in a week. It rated quite well in consumer reports.

mo_money2supe
09-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
We just bought this one.. RF263AFRS (http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/home-appliances/refrigerators/french-door/RF263AFRS/XAC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=) Got it for $1400 from sears on a price match. Gonna pick it up in a week. It rated quite well in consumer reports.

:eek: Amazing price! We have the exact same fridge, but even with our builder's discount through Coast, we still had to pay $1,600-1,700 for ours!

Mitsu3000gt
09-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Sears is usually pretty good for price. When my parents re-did their kitchen this year, the salesperson let them sit there with a stack of scratch n save cards until he got 20% off or whatever one of the higher amounts was. Then they received the discount in addition to a price match.

ExtraSlow
09-29-2010, 11:00 AM
I've got Electrolux with the wavetouch controls in my house. Haven't found it to be a hassle at all. I actually like it better than "conventional" controls because of how easy it is to clean.

Tip for those of you with ceramic cooktops. Get the vileda scrunge. Works way better than the liquid paste stuff with less effort.

sputnik
09-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I've got Electrolux with the wavetouch controls in my house. Haven't found it to be a hassle at all. I actually like it better than "conventional" controls because of how easy it is to clean.

The non-WaveTouch controls aren't any harder to clean. Exact same surface, they just aren't hidden.

ExtraSlow
09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Hmmm. Guess I don't know what the non-wavetouch controls look like then. My appliances were in the house when I bought it, so I didn't shop for them.

89coupe
09-29-2010, 01:18 PM
My fridge definitely has to be a side by side design, and it definitely has to have water & ice on the outside. I can't stand bottom freezers & I can't stand not having access to ice or cold water.

sputnik
09-29-2010, 01:20 PM
My fridge definitely has to be a side by side design, and it definitely has to have water & ice on the outside. I can't stand bottom freezers & I can't stand not having access to ice or cold water.

Agreed 100%. I always need immediate access to ice and cold water. The fridge water always filtered so the Calgary chlorine taste is removed. No need for wasting money on bottled water.

I also can't stand the new French Door and bottom freezer designs. I just find them awkward.

sillysod
09-29-2010, 02:46 PM

Pretty sure Electrolux has nothing to do with GE, but it does own Frigidaire.

ya... late night post. Electrolux is from Sweeden and is completely unrelated to GE.

Impreza
09-30-2010, 01:16 AM
We have a Viking 6 burner stove and it has been great. No complaints watsoever.

bjstare
09-30-2010, 12:35 PM

Induction is noisy due to the fans needed to cool it.

Unless you REALLY need to boil water in 90 seconds I would just stick with a high quality ceramic cooktop or gas.

Not necessarily. I've got a Miele induction cooktop and its not noticeably noisy. Also, Bosch dishwashers aren't what they're cracked up to be. A family member has one and it doesn't get the dishes clean. I have a Miele fridge, freezer, oven and dishwasher as well, and am very pleased with all of them. If you look at the construction of the Miele fridge, its actually better than comparable sub zero models (i.e. the hinges on the miele look like the could support the weight of a truck).

89coupe
09-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Not necessarily. I've got a Miele induction cooktop and its not noticeably noisy. Also, Bosch dishwashers aren't what they're cracked up to be. A family member has one and it doesn't get the dishes clean. I have a Miele fridge, freezer, oven and dishwasher as well, and am very pleased with all of them. If you look at the construction of the Miele fridge, its actually better than comparable sub zero models (i.e. the hinges on the miele look like the could support the weight of a truck).

You got a photo of your place? Sounds like a nice kitchen.

In fact anyone want to share photos of your kitchen feel free to post them.

I think the kitchen is the center point of any home.

89coupe
10-05-2010, 10:31 AM
So we ended up going with all Kitchen Aid appliances.

Czar
10-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I have all Electrolux (wavetouch) in my kitchen (builtin oven, microwave, fridge), except for the KitchenAid Induction top, and dishwasher.

Or fridge is a french door model, but offers water and ice dispensers on the outside. It's pretty good, but it's too bad the water isn't chilled :(

As far as induction goes, it's way, way easier to clean than a gas top, and more efficient (although with the price of natural gas these days, it probably doesn't matter as much).

Cool thing that you can do it place a towel underneath the pan/pot while you're boiling/frying. When things splatter everywhere, it'll just end up on the towel.

Another advantage of induction is that the top is usually cooler than equivalent ceramic tops or gas ranges. That was the deciding factor for us, since our kids are at the age where they can touch the top of the stove.

For the dishwasher we got the Fisher Paykel dual drawer dish washer w/custom front. It's probably one of the worst rated dishwashers you can buy, but it's very energy efficient, and looks like a standard drawer. We bought the extended warranty just in case for that one :)

89coupe
10-05-2010, 09:28 PM
We went with the 5 burner induction.:thumbsup:

bjstare
10-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Alright, I should preface this post with a correction. I threw out the "I" and "I've" with too much freedom. This kitchen is my parents kitchen, the appliances are their appliances, and they've done a ton of work to this house (I have helped though haha). These appliances aren't "mine" so to speak, so I apologize for throwing that out there.

Now I know you're probably thinkin "shit, its just another beyond high school punk"... well I'm actually 23 years old and one semester away from graduating with a degree in Electrical Engineering. My wife and I just purchased our own home last week, so we'll be moving out of my parents place ( :D ), which we've had to stay at for a short time.

Anyway, here's the pics as requested, and if you're interested I could throw some in of the fairly nice master suite as well. Sorry again for the confusion ladies and gentlemen. I'll likely be posting another thread soon with pics of MY house haha. Enjoi.

(Oh yes, I'm no photographer, and my camera's a POS)

Alright, here's the first kitchen picture. Please diregard the furniture as well, the shopping for that is in progress. Pantry is in the far corner. All cabinets are hickory (IIRC) veneer, casings solid hickory (EDIT: actually they're walnut, not hickory). There's also no fixtures above the island, those haven't been chosen yet either.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/IMGP8295.jpg

This is looking towards the pantry...the dishwasher is the first thing below the counter on the right.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/IMGP8297.jpg

Here's the open fridge (note the massive serious hinges)

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/IMGP8299.jpg

Here's the cooktop

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/IMGP8298.jpg

Inside the pantry

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/IMGP8301.jpg

Around the corner (to the right) inside the pantry

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/IMGP8302.jpg

Dishwasher and knife block drawer

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/IMGP8304.jpg

Dishwasher controls

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/IMGP8303-1.jpg

If you're interested, I can put up a couple pics of other areas of the house. My uncle and dad run a luxury home building and reno company, so all of this was done by their guys. If you have any questions about any of the particulars, or building process etc... fire away and I'll find out.

Wrath
01-26-2011, 10:18 AM
On the News last night

http://kitchenaidfire.com/

chengj
01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Anyone here had any experience with Jerome's Appliance Gallery? http://www.jeromesappliancegalleryinc.ca/

spikerS
01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I just bought a $1800 fridge from sears for $840GST.

and I got a $1500 front load washer / dryer set from Home Depot for $996 including GST.

masoncgy
01-28-2011, 01:24 AM
I sure wish Samsung would start producing slide-in ranges... I need something to go along nicely with my Samsung 33" counter-depth french door...

Someone previously mentioned an Electrolux french door... watch out for the ice maker on that puppy, many of their most recent models do not have a rubber boot/gasket to seal between the bottom of the ice maker and the dispensing channel in the door, thus ice builds up big time

Spikers, the front load set? Is it the Inglis or the Amana?

You can get into the Samsung 210 front load pair for the same price, I believe Future Shop & Coast are running sales on those units at the moment.

Man, cjblair, I must have missed your post or something... what a stunning kitchen! Love the built-in columns, that is the only way I'd ever have a side-by-side setup in my house... with 42"-48" width so you actually have usable space... :)

One question, where's your oven?! :)

spikerS
01-28-2011, 01:37 AM
I got the GE set, 1100 series 4cf washer and 7cf Dryer

bjstare
01-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy

Man, cjblair, I must have missed your post or something... what a stunning kitchen! Love the built-in columns, that is the only way I'd ever have a side-by-side setup in my house... with 42"-48" width so you actually have usable space... :)

One question, where's your oven?! :)

It's an unreal kitchen, but like I said in my disclaimer at the top, it's my parents place not mine (the wife and I are currently in the process of reno'ing our house, but it won't end up looking quite like that!). Unreal amount of work went into it, can't really appreciate it unless you see it in person.

The fridge is a 48" (12" freezer, 36" fridge). As for the oven, it's directly behind the faucet in the first pic, and on the left just past the cooktop on the second pic. It's about 36" up from the floor. It's a little tough to see because of the black door and dark millwork.

89coupe
02-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Wrath
On the News last night

http://kitchenaidfire.com/

After you showed me this I swapped my KitchenAid dishwasher out for a Miele today. :thumbsup:

nagooro
02-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
If you're interested, I can put up a couple pics of other areas of the house. [/B]
:thumbsup:
Wouldn't mind seeing a few more, seems like a really nice house so far.

spikerS
02-13-2011, 02:50 AM

After you showed me this I swapped my KitchenAid dishwasher out for a Miele today. :thumbsup:

what are you doing with your old kitchenaid one?

89coupe
02-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by spikers

what are you doing with your old kitchenaid one?

This is for the new house, so nothing has been received. Just swapped our KitchenAid order for the Miele.

BokCh0y
02-13-2011, 08:24 AM
My place came with all Frigidare (frigidare is the canadian side of electrolux) professional series appliances. I've never had so many issues with any one brand of appliances...omg. My dishwasher went at 2 years old. Cost to repair was of course as much as a new unit. My fridge and stove have not faired much better. Long story short electrolux and frigidare are the worst out there for your money. No need for those who have these appliances to get angry...just my opinion only.

Anyways I researched online and reviews for LG and Frigidaire/electrolux are poor.

I ended having to replace everything with new units. I went with Whirlpool.

I also looked at kenmore as they have a solid name out there. Thing is about kenmore is they are basically all the manufacturers together just rebranded. You'll have to make sure the rebranded units are a brand you do not like. So have to compare the buttons etc. You can usually tell just by looking at the styling which manufacturer is who.

Anyways whirlpool.

masoncgy
02-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I would recommend Samsung over the comparable North American brands any day. Their refrigerators are well built, nicely styled and offer a lot of features (especially the twin cooling system) for the price.

Same with their line of ranges. Well built, nicely equipped units, right from the base electric unit to their induction range. It's too bad they don't make any gas ranges yet.

I'd avoid their dishwashers though. You can get into a Blomberg or even a basic Bosch machine for similar dollars, yet have a far more efficient and much more durable machine.

When it comes to a dishwasher, I wouldn't even look at anything other than Miele, Asko, Bosch or Blomberg.

89coupe
02-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I went with KitchenAid for most of my kitchen stuff.

This Fridge.
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KFIS27CXMS/

The Cooktop.
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KICU568SBL/

The Ovens.
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KEBU208SSS/

The Fan.
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KXW4336YSS/

The Dishwasher
http://www.miele.ca/miele/canada/dish_insp_g2181scsf.asp

The Winecooler
http://www.danby.com/product/DBC2760BLS/10

The Washer
http://www.lg.com/ca_en/home-appliances/washers/LG-steam-washer-WM3885HCCA.jsp

Dryer
http://www.lg.com/ca_en/home-appliances/dryers/LG-electric-dryer-DLEX3885C.jsp

stealth
12-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Thought I would bump this thread back up.

Is there some un-written rule that all kitchen applainces need to be from the same brand? Or does it matter?

Go4Long
12-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by stealth
Thought I would bump this thread back up.

Is there some un-written rule that all kitchen applainces need to be from the same brand? Or does it matter?

funny enough my wife didn't care...but I did, I don't really know why since she does pretty much all of the cooking.

This Fridge.
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KFIS27CXMS/

Nice fridge...we went with this fridge:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KFXS25RYMS/

This range:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KESS908SPS/

This dishwasher (I think, I'd have to look at the spec sheet at home to be sure):
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KUDS30FXSS/

I can't remember the microwave, but it's pretty standard kitchenaid, just built it in under the counter in the island.

I'm not baller enough to have a wine cooler and separate stove and cooktop and all that. :(

Washer and Dryer we just went to sears and picked up a set with steam wash and dry that was on sale.

benyl
12-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long

Nice fridge...we went with this fridge:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KFXS25RYMS/

I wish they would make that fridge with a Pro handle. My wife likes the second drawer.

We got this one instead as it matches our other appliances:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KFCP22EXMP/

We went with this double wall oven:
http://www.electroluxicon.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pId=18975

This microwave:
http://www.electroluxicon.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pId=18932

This cooktop:
http://www.bosch-home.ca/en/products/cooking/cooktops/NIT8665UC.html?source=browse

and this dishwasher:
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/SHE9ER55UC.html

Go4Long
12-27-2011, 11:33 AM
yeah...we went with all the Architect series so the handles would match...lol.

My wife also wanted the second drawer.

22 cu ft sounds small, but I assume part of that is because of the counter depth...also, no ice maker? That was on my must have feature list. We actually based all of our appliances off the range, because we loved the range in the showhome, ours is the next model up from the showhome, the change is instead of dials for the burners it's all touch control on the cooktop.

that's quite the "high speed oven" lol.

benyl
12-27-2011, 11:54 AM
There is an icemaker, just not dispenser. The ice sits in a tray in the freezer.

We went with counter depth because of where we had originally put the fridge. We then moved it and could have gone with a full depth fridge. But you know what happens when you are making a thousand decisions and changing things and starting from scratch? You forget the details.

As for the microwave... haha

This is how we talked ourselves into it.

At first, we were going with the oven and microwave combination. Then for $500 more, we could do separate oven and microwave because the microwave is usually too high in those combinations.

Then for $1000 more, we could get a double oven. Now we have 3 ovens in our kitchen... fawk.

Go4Long
12-27-2011, 12:06 PM
so is it actually not a microwave at all? or is that just fluff?

I hear you on the making changes thing. I walked in to the house the other day and looked at the top molding on the cabinets (cabinets are in and finished already) and I actually had to call two different people to verify that I was right that the molding wasn't the one we'd selected.

We talked oursleves in to the appliance package, and a couple other upgrades in kind of the same way. Granite we went with the poeple we went with because of the technology aspect of how they did it and all that, and the customer service.

It's sad how fast it ads up, and I'm still pissed off about how much they charged us to upgrade the appliances (we basically paid retail for every appliance, and that's despite the fact that there was obviously going to be appliances in there to begin with, and they gave us no credit for them) anyway...

benyl
12-27-2011, 12:22 PM
It is a microwave. It is also a mini convection oven as well. So you can cook your food faster! We will see how it works. The theory seems sound though.

We managed to talk Shane into letting us supply our own appliances as Coast wasn't giving us a "builder's discount" at all. When I factored in all the retail prices and looked at their "bundle" price, I figured out that they were giving us a 7% discount.

I asked them to match Sears pricing as they were having a sale on Bosch and Electrolux (15% off) and Coast wouldn't do that. They said, "if you come in and sign today, we can work something out." Sounded like a scam to me.

We got about $3K for the "appliance" package that was standard. What we didn't want to do was take the standard and then either give away or throw away perfectly good appliances.

Go4Long
12-27-2011, 01:28 PM
sounds like you did pretty good with the deal then...we're a little further down the spectrum in terms of what we spent with the builder, so they were pretty stuck on what they would and wouldn't do for us.

masoncgy
12-27-2011, 02:27 PM
We managed to talk Shane into letting us supply our own appliances as Coast wasn't giving us a "builder's discount" at all. When I factored in all the retail prices and looked at their "bundle" price, I figured out that they were giving us a 7% discount.

I asked them to match Sears pricing as they were having a sale on Bosch and Electrolux (15% off) and Coast wouldn't do that. They said, "if you come in and sign today, we can work something out." Sounded like a scam to me.

Wow... that's insane. Must have been a rookie salesperson or something, because there is no way that I would ever let someone buy elsewhere if it's a matter of pricing.

We offer similar promotions on product as our competitors too, so I don't really get how someone would not want to honor a price match.

That's not how you make money in this game... lol... ;)

stealth
12-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Any feedback on LG appliances?

I bought a Range, Fridge, and Dishwasher from FS. All of them had good reviews except the dishwasher.

Is Kitchenaid a better manufacturer to go with?

masoncgy
12-27-2011, 07:11 PM
LG is fine, it's not high end, but it's better than GE, Whirlpool, Frigidaire basic line product. It's basically the equivilent of Samsung who makes a decent line of appliances, save for the dishwashers. Seems LG & Samsung both have some work to do in the dishwashing department.

Kitchenaid is a decent product line. It's a refined Whirlpool product marketed a step down from Jenn-Air, which Whirlpool also owns. What I like about Kitchenaid is that they offer a full series of mainline kitchen appliances alongside a pro series line, so they cover all the bases. They are competitive with Electrolux in their mainline & Icon series. Tons of options.

You'll pay more for Kitchenaid over LG, so it's all dependent on what type of appliances you are buying and the sort of feature you want those to include.

stealth
12-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Well I was going to go Kitchenaid but they didn't have a counter depth French doors fridge with ice and water.

Also one of their ranges that I was interested in had bad reviews, in regards to moisture issues when baking, and the other had self clean issues.

Go4Long
12-27-2011, 07:33 PM
If you read enough of the reviews you'll realize that a lot of people really don't understand how to operate their appliances. Complaining about a lack of a feature, or complaining that it doesn't do something that it's not supposed to do are all stuff that people seem to like putting in reviews...

"my last range from them broke and they wouldn't cover it under warranty" ---not mentioned, their last range was 20 years old.

masoncgy
12-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by stealth
Well I was going to go Kitchenaid but they didn't have a counter depth French doors fridge with ice and water.

Sure they do, it's the KFIS20XVMS. They also offer two models with an internal water dispenser and freezer mounted ice maker, the KFCP22EXMP is a clone of the Jenn-Air JFC2290VEM and the other is the KBFS20EVMS, a clone of the Maytag MFC2061KES.

:dunno:

bart
12-28-2011, 01:14 AM
what you guys want is gaggenau ;)

www.gaggenau.com

article: http://www.current.com.au/news/article/MNVQQWEUYS.html

stealth
12-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy

Sure they do, it's the KFIS20XVMS. They also offer two models with an internal water dispenser and freezer mounted ice maker, the KFCP22EXMP is a clone of the Jenn-Air JFC2290VEM and the other is the KBFS20EVMS, a clone of the Maytag MFC2061KES.

:dunno:

I didn't think to check Leons. They carry the KFIS20XVMS. That would be the only one that inerests me.

The main reason I went for LG is because I got my brother to hook me up at FS and got the LMX21986ST for more than the $1000 off during boxing day.

masoncgy
12-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Did you happen to look at the Samsung RFG237ACRS? That's another one to look at, given it's counter depth, french door & has an ice & water dispenser. It also has a more advanced refrigeration system in the dual evaporators, which split the air flow between the fridge & freezer.

It's on cheap right now. Take a peak at it. Samsung fridges are the best choice in the freestanding machines, in my opinion & experience.