Grand opening is tomorrow
http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Fashion+lovers+rejoice/3588063/story.html
http://www.chinookcentre.com/en/custom/Pages/Default.aspx

Strider
09-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Fashion lovers rejoice

Chinook Centre throws open the doors to better shopping

By Theresa Tayler, Calgary HeraldSeptember 28, 2010
Terry Napper, general manager of Chinook Centre, has been planning this party for a long time.

Wednesday marks the grand opening of Chinook Centre's 180,000-square-foot expansion -- an endeavour that's been five years in the making.

The concrete has been poured, the chandeliers hung, the shelves stocked and the escalators switched on. The only thing left to do, according to Napper, is roll out the red carpet in anticipation of the estimated 100,000 shoppers, gawkers and restaurant-goers who will flock to the shopping hub every day during opening week.

"That's Boxing Day type of numbers," he says. "Chinook Centre will now be drawing people from as far as western Saskatchewan, into the east Kootenays and down the United States border."

The mall has undergone a $280-million enlargement, adding more than 30 unique-to-market retailers, including high-end fashion houses such as Burberry, Michael Kors and Stuart Weitzman.

Trendy American retailers such as Abercrombie & Fitch, Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters -- slated to open by Christmas -- will also add to the mix.

Recently opened are Lego, Bliss Cupcakes, Guess Accessories, Steve Madden Shoes and Chop Steakhouse & Bar.

The extension boasts more than 50 new stores, heated underground parking stalls, new restaurants and plenty of wide-open spaces to encourage browsing and -- if Napper has his way -- plenty of spending.

"The Burberrys and Michael Kors of the world are very selective on where they put locations. They had made their minds up that they were coming to Calgary a long time ago," he says.

"But Chinook couldn't accommodate them five years ago. We knew we had to expand."

Things were put on hold in 2008 when the recession threatened to derail construction plans.

"We made the choice to sit on it for a year and half. Eventually, we pulled through and now here we are, ready to open," Napper says.

"This is a good project not only for Chinook, but for Calgary; this city now has the retail options that Vancouver and Toronto have."

According to Kelli Harker, owner of Soul Reflection, a Calgary-based styling and personal shopping company, the new mega-mall means several things for fashionistas.

"In the past Calgary has gotten a bad rap for not being fashion-forward. Calgary has always been a great place to shop for those who knew the secret gems of the independent boutiques," says Harker.

"However, for shoppers heading to malls it used to be uninspiring."

How times have changed. Over the past year or so other mega-malls such as CrossIron Mills, Market Mall and Southcentre Mall have also renovated, expanded and added unique retailers.

"Each mall has an energy all its own and a brand," says Harker.

Chinook Centre marketing director Peggy Lim says Chinook is now competing with outlet malls south of the border.

She expects that consumers who used to travel to U.S. for bargains and name brands will forgo the cross-border shopping trips and instead spend their money locally.

Harker agrees.

"We used to have to go to the States just because there were so many amazing stores that were not up here," she says.

"I think shopping and travel will always be enticing to my clients -- but only as an added bonus to what they are already able to shop for here at home.

"This is a great time to be a fashion lover in the city."

Chinook Centre will extended its hours for opening week: Wednesday to Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

On Oct. 4, the centre will return to regular hours.

[email protected]

- - -

Unique Shops

Stores added to Chinook Centre this fall that are unique to the Calgary market include:

- - Abercrombie & Fitch

- - Anthropologie

- - Bench

- - Burberry

- - HollisterCo.

- - Kiehl's

- - Le Creuset

- - Marciano

- - Michael Kors

- - Miss Sixty/Energie

- - Pandora

- - Skechers

- - Urban Outfitters

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

rawsensation
09-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Opening up a Harry Rosen there as well, will swing by tomorrow see how it is.

Cos
09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Might make a stop on my way back in town

beyond_ban
09-28-2010, 12:57 PM
A/X coming fall/winter 2010.... Now we can all buy the same wardrobe as Jersey Shore! :clap:

Guillermo
09-28-2010, 01:07 PM
meh.... big deal. i hate malls anyway!

FraserB
09-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Went yesterday and it was a gong show even then, even without the new section open it was almost impossible to find a parking space.

urban.one
09-28-2010, 02:20 PM
The new section get unveiled tonite (Tuesday) at the vip opening.

whiskas
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
About fucking time Bench opened a store. They're the only ones that make hoodies that fit me.

lellowrx7
09-28-2010, 02:23 PM
A/X (winter 2010)
Burberry
True Religions (opening 2011)
Harry Rosen

I AM SO STOKED! haha
Ill be blowin money all day

as for the parking sitch
there is underground throughout chinook now
you just gotta look for it

syeve
09-28-2010, 02:30 PM
urban outfitters is a pimp store.

ercchry
09-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Burberry... it is probably not a good idea for me to visit this place... only thing that saved me from this brand last time we met was holt not having my size...

almerick
09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
Henry Rosen

Almost...

I really hope that they got the parking situation fixed there, it's been messy for the past few years.

lellowrx7
09-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by almerick

Almost...

I really hope that they got the parking situation fixed there, it's been messy for the past few years.

haha harry my bad
but yeah theyve had underground for awhile i guess but there advertising it now. the back side has had underground for over a year i guess

ZEDGE
09-28-2010, 05:28 PM
I thought there might have been another Apple store. Guess not.

Tik-Tok
09-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Strider
Chinook Centre will now be drawing people from as far as western Saskatchewan, into the east Kootenays and down the United States border."

Oh yeah, Chinook mall will totally attract people from a tax free state that isn't exactly known for it's high fashion. I'm sure those people from Montana would love the 30% Canadian assrape upcharge we have on almost everything.

Originally posted by ZEDGE
I thought there might have been another Apple store. Guess not.

There's supposed to be. Maybe it just isn't opening quite yet, or the writer of the article is still waiting to get a Iphone 4 and doesn't want anyone else to show up first thing in the morning to get one :rofl:

BigMass
09-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Oh yeah, Chinook mall will totally attract people from a tax free state that isn't exactly known for it's high fashion. I'm sure those people from Montana would love the 30% Canadian assrape upcharge we have on almost everything.

Think of the store variety though… you can shop for clothing, clothing, shoes, clothing, clothes, shoes… amazing. Exciting just being there!

ZEDGE
09-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

There's supposed to be. Maybe it just isn't opening quite yet, or the writer of the article is still waiting to get a Iphone 4 and doesn't want anyone else to show up first thing in the morning to get one :rofl:

:rofl:

Canucks3322
09-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
A/X (winter 2010)
Burberry
True Religions (opening 2011)
Harry Rosen

I AM SO STOKED! haha
Ill be blowin money all day

as for the parking sitch
there is underground throughout chinook now
you just gotta look for it

ALRIIIIGHHHT! Now all the Calgary douchebags can look exactly like the Vancouver douchebags!!! :dunno:

black13
09-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

ALRIIIIGHHHT! Now all the Calgary douchebags can look exactly like the Vancouver douchebags!!! :dunno:

well it sure beats the laid back/slack wear most calgarians seem to wear.

kenny
09-28-2010, 11:00 PM
There is indeed an Apple Store opening up in Chinook. Its on the lower level of the expansion. Here are the staff about 15 minutes prior to opening the doors.

sillysod
09-28-2010, 11:07 PM
my wife just rolled up from this shit with some of her friends. Most of them were wasted from the free booze hahaha.

apparently its pretty crazy

Impreza
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Just got home from the event. Very well done. Great food and tons of free booze. Plenty of hot women too... :poosie:

sillysod
09-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Plenty of hot women too... :poosie:

Fuck off :rofl:

kenny
09-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Near the end of the night, every few minutes you would hear someone dropping and shattering their glasses. Tons of drunk people there!

ZEDGE
09-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by kenny
There is indeed an Apple Store opening up in Chinook. Its on the lower level of the expansion. Here are the staff about 15 minutes prior to opening the doors.

Weird how it was not mentioned. Must not be getting kick backs from Apple..lol

TYMSMNY
09-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Haha, was an awesome night. it was mostly the host/hostess that were dropping the glasses. Any one want bars and bars of godiva chocolate? lol.

anyone try the icewine up top? :drool:

b_t
09-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Strider
Recently opened are Lego

Alright - like, a Lego store? A store that sells nothing but Lego? Is it true!?

captain134
09-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by b_t

yes, it is true.

[Yu]
09-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by b_t

Yes b_t lol, there was a mini store open prior to the one that just opened, and it was around "Underground Clothing"

Now they have a full out store open1!

sexualbanana
09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
my wife just rolled up from this shit with some of her friends. Most of them were wasted from the free booze hahaha.

Originally posted by Impreza
Just got home from the event. Very well done. Great food and tons of free booze. Plenty of hot women too... :poosie:

Originally posted by sillysod

Fuck off :rofl:

Well done.

b_t
09-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]

Yes b_t lol, there was a mini store open prior to the one that just opened, and it was around "Underground Clothing"

Now they have a full out store open1!

AWESOME
I just checked tho, and Lego doesn't make the sets I'm interested in anymore. :(

Jeremiah
09-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Last night was a shit show, booze wise, and a smoke show, women wise. But god was there some pretentious people out last night.

All in All, just another section of a mall with underwhelming stores IMO

sputnik
09-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by b_t

AWESOME
I just checked tho, and Lego doesn't make the sets I'm interested in anymore. :(

Agreed.

Lego is shit now.

Everything has some gay theme (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Alantis, Toy Story etc) and have these proprietary parts that are only used for the sets/theme.

Gone are the days of getting a big bunch of random blocks to build with, now everything is its OWN block.

Lame.

Cos
09-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Gone are the days of getting a big bunch of random blocks to build with, now everything is its OWN block.

Lame.

+1 that is what I noticed too. They are making custom blocks (like the hull of the pirate ship) into 1 piece. I remember building the pirate ship hull out of brown 2x2's. Lego is not as much fun when you cant wreck it and start with something else or make a mutant thing out of it.

Pahnda
09-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Found this hilarious:

From the Calgary Herald (http://www.calgaryherald.com/Customers+line+Apple+store+Chinook+Centre+expansion/3597054/story.html#ixzz10wqGBrnG)

Some even came as early as 3:30 a.m. The doors to the mall opened at 5 a.m. and the stores opened at 8 a.m.

People like Jonathan Shonicker, 22. "I'm here to get an iPhone 4," said Shonicker, who was the first in line at the Apple store. "Because my phone sucks hard-core. Doesn't do anything. I don't care what it costs. It could cost anything I'll pay it right now. I need a new phone."

Also check out the first picture on that article as the girl goes in for a faith healing...

max_boost
09-29-2010, 01:34 PM
haha I'm excited for A/X and Guess as I find their stuff fits me good but gone are the days of spending $300 on jeans and expensive clothes. Max is $100 for jeans and $50 for shirts now and it doesn't get me much lol

BigMass
09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda
Found this hilarious:

Also check out the first picture on that article as the girl goes in for a faith healing...

Every day I look at NASA reports in hope that a giant earth killer asteroid is found coming our away.

urban.one
09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Pretty much how others described. Some local celebs. Looked like Bronco was there but didnt get a chance to chat him up about recent hotel stays.

[Yu]
09-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Agreed.

Lego is shit now.

Everything has some gay theme (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Alantis, Toy Story etc) and have these proprietary parts that are only used for the sets/theme.

Lame.

Just an fyi for you Lego OGs lool. There is a bulk bin in this store where you can by specific blocks and colors for these blocks.

Thus you can disregard sets, and open up your imagination for a plethora of Lego EPICNESS.

sputnik
09-29-2010, 02:15 PM

Just an fyi for you Lego OGs lool. There is a bulk bin in this store where you can by specific blocks and colors for these blocks.

Thus you can disregard sets, and open up your imagination for a plethora of Lego EPICNESS.

Have you seen the prices for bulk Lego?

No thanks.

Besides, I still want a good Lego kit with instructions to build something cool.

b_t
09-29-2010, 02:49 PM

I would have KILLED to be able to buy just blocks of Lego when I was a kid.

anhsicun
09-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
haha I'm excited for A/X and Guess as I find their stuff fits me good but gone are the days of spending $300 on jeans and expensive clothes. Max is $100 for jeans and $50 for shirts now and it doesn't get me much lol

i been to the a/x store in T.O and it pricey for wat it is nothing reallie outstanding nor nice, unless u like shirts that branded the shit out of it.

Vanner
09-30-2010, 06:02 AM

Have you seen the prices for bulk Lego?

No thanks.

Besides, I still want a good Lego kit with instructions to build something cool.

Oh yes, I saw that new store a while ago. Man, it was a huge shock on me when I saw these prices on LEGO! Entering in there sure makes me feel I wish shouldn't sold my old huge box of lego pieces years ago.

But yeah... I want to have fun again building with lego! Maybe someday?

Agreed.

Lego is shit now.

Lame.

True, true ... agreed on that.

I had noticed and was sad to see the changes Lego made. I'd take the old days anytime over these in the store. Can't build ANYTHING like what I did as a kid - I can built a wicked huge airplane with the blocks. It take real imagination and creativity.

Now the new-flanged lego sets with themes had killed any good creativity! It's as good as dead.

ArjayAquino
09-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Did anyone else see the hot model wearing only lingerie at the Calvin Klein store window? :poosie:

dino_martini
09-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I checked it out this morning, kind of lame in my opinion. Yes Apple and Harry Rosen are nice, but you could go downtown, or to market mall to see some of these stores. Can't wait for the next chinook expansion

EG STyLeZ
09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I heard there might be LV or gucci opening stores in the future. Any truth to that?

dino_martini
09-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by EG STyLeZ
I heard there might be LV or gucci opening stores in the future. Any truth to that?

I could see that happening. I remember back when deerfoot meadows was just getting underway they said they were going to build a project of high end stores like LV and Prada. but those signs have long since disappeared. Wouldn't surprise me in the future.

ZEDGE
09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
I checked it out this morning, kind of lame in my opinion. Yes Apple and Harry Rosen are nice, but you could go downtown, or to market mall to see some of these stores. Can't wait for the next chinook expansion

Are there not many other stores that are no where else in Calgary? Hollister, A & F, etc?

TYMSMNY
10-02-2010, 01:59 AM

Are there not many other stores that are no where else in Calgary? Hollister, A & F, etc?

yea, A/X, Michael Kors, Bench etc.

Also, the point is also that it's ONE STOP shopping that's central to most people.

This new expansion really hurts Crossiron Mills as this is the "new thing" now.

vengie
10-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

yea, A/X, Michael Kors, Bench etc.

Also, the point is also that it's ONE STOP shopping that's central to most people.

This new expansion really hurts Crossiron Mills as this is the "new thing" now.

Honestly Cross iron mills was a joke from the get go... it is in the middle of no where. Sure its awesome for anyone who lives up north, but I am not about to drive 45 mins just to browse a mall...

Well done on the Chinook expansion!

copynpaste
10-02-2010, 04:26 PM
The only good thing about Cross Iron Mills is the number of cute girls working there. Otherwise theres no point in driving all the way out there.

ZEDGE
10-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Checked it out today. Its very nice. I'm impressed, Chinook is easily one of the best over all malls in Canada now. It was a gong show though, frigging packed. This plus the Core renos going on right now have really improved the retail environment in this city.

dandia89
10-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ArjayAquino
Did anyone else see the hot model wearing only lingerie at the Calvin Klein store window? :poosie:

TYMSMNY
10-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Checked it out today. Its very nice. I'm impressed, Chinook is easily one of the best over all malls in Canada now. It was a gong show though, frigging packed. This plus the Core renos going on right now have really improved the retail environment in this city.

Chinook is the third busiest mall in Canada... for now. Once the CORE is done, it'll draw people in during daytime but weekend/weeknights are will still be weak compared to Chinook. Two places to be are Chinook/Crossiron on the weekends.

K3RMiTdot
10-02-2010, 11:40 PM
finally made it worth going to now.

whiskas
10-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Core looks seriously baller. Downtown mall in Vancouver can't hold a candle to it.

RY213
10-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Chinook is the third busiest mall in Canada... for now. Once the CORE is done, it'll draw people in during daytime but weekend/weeknights are will still be weak compared to Chinook. Two places to be are Chinook/Crossiron on the weekends.

I ONLY go to The Core on the weekends because it isnt busy. I dont have the patience to deal with screaming kids, punk ass teens and huge crowds at Chinook. I am curious about the renos at Chinook though, ill check them out at like 8pm on a Wed night to avoid the crazyness...

Guillermo
10-03-2010, 01:35 PM
OK, I live just south of the mall and have to drive by it all the time. the traffic has been so bad the last few days that I don't even want to be in the area anymore. GO AWAY PEOPLE!!!! IT'S JUST A STUPID FUCKING MALL FULL OF INSECURE TEENAGERS, OLD PEOPLE, AND FAT WOMEN DRAGGING ALONG THEIR 5 KIDS!!! GO READ A BOOK AND LEARN SOMETHING SO THAT YOU CAN FORM YOUR OWN OPINIONS INSTEAD OF HAVING YOUR WORLD VIEW FORCE FED BY MULTINATIONAL CORPORATE INTERESTS!!! seriously, walmart has better clothes than old navy anyhow!!!!!

chkolny541
10-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
OK, I live just south of the mall and have to drive by it all the time. the traffic has been so bad the last few days that I don't even want to be in the area anymore. GO AWAY PEOPLE!!!! IT'S JUST A STUPID FUCKING MALL FULL OF INSECURE TEENAGERS, OLD PEOPLE, AND FAT WOMEN DRAGGING ALONG THEIR 5 KIDS!!! GO READ A BOOK AND LEARN SOMETHING SO THAT YOU CAN FORM YOUR OWN OPINIONS INSTEAD OF HAVING YOUR WORLD VIEW FORCE FED BY MULTINATIONAL CORPORATE INTERESTS!!! seriously, walmart has better clothes than old navy anyhow!!!!!

lul.

went there yesterday, just me or does the A&F store need an area where you can adjust your eyes before going in. The store was so effing dark that you need cellphone light to see price tags or sizes

swak
10-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

lul.

went there yesterday, just me or does the A&F store need an area where you can adjust your eyes before going in. The store was so effing dark that you need cellphone light to see price tags or sizes

All the A&F stores ive ever been in have been like that...

Las Vegas, West Ed... etc..
Sometimes practicality needs to be taken into consideration when designing these 'trendy' designed shops.

slinkie
10-03-2010, 03:37 PM
rofl true religions, isn't that garbage at cosco by now

300zxfairlday
10-03-2010, 03:59 PM
i think its awesome. Went on saturday morning around 1130. The new parkade is wikid with the park assist. Was not packed at all. Got parking right by the elevators. The selection is pretty good! food court however was a disaster! Long line ups , not enough tables.

K3RMiTdot
10-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by slinkie
rofl true religions, isn't that garbage at cosco by now .

i don't believe so, but rock and republic are :facepalm:

nismodrifter
10-04-2010, 12:36 AM
meh...

adam c
10-04-2010, 08:06 AM
went there on saturday as well... all i could smell was douche from the second i walked in

ArjayAquino
10-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by adam c
went there on saturday as well... all i could smell was douche from the second i walked in

must have been that time of the month for a lot of girls there

ZEDGE
10-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Don't wear sandals next time.. ;)

adam c
10-04-2010, 06:31 PM
yes you got it, it was my non sandal feet that smelled like the idiots in holister broke a case of cologne

AndyL
10-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Fuck... Who cares what the stores are like - how'd ya like them parkade doors? That's the important question here :rofl:

Probably locked open, so you probably never noticed em :) Or just the bright yellow/orange guides... Damnit.

ZEDGE
10-04-2010, 09:25 PM
yes you got it, it was my non sandal feet that smelled like the idiots in holister broke a case of cologne

Hollister always smells like that. They have it pumping through the ventilation. lol

adam c
10-04-2010, 09:40 PM
i know, except i could smell it all the way by zellers

sexualbanana
10-05-2010, 10:36 AM
i know, except i could smell it all the way by zellers

That's how you know it's working.

n1zm0
10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
i think ill go there like and hour before closing one night because it sounds like the little shits and douchebags who goto the cinema there have over taken the whole mall now

is the underground parking really all that spiffy now tho?

dino_martini
10-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Yes but do you actually like those brands? I have already seen Hollister and Abercrombie. Not. A big fan. That's why I'm disappointed with the new chinook. They brought brands that would have been cool to see like 3-5 years ago.

ZEDGE
10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Don't mind Hollister. Don't own any A & F. I like the Lucky store in Cross Iron.

TorqueDog
10-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Underground parking is quite nice, actually. I mean, the entry looks like it was given ZERO thought, but the red/green indicators for each parking spot is a fantastic idea.