PDA

View Full Version : Civ 5

snoop101
09-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Im surprised that there is no thread on this yet. What a great game. They have made it a bit easier. Removed religion and government, but added so much more. City states are pretty good. Graphics are also pretty amazing and now are DX11. I enjoy the music, but not a huge thing for some people. Anyways like I said before if your a long time Civ fan then you will most likely have to loon past the nerfing of certain features.

I still haven't found a good Civ 5 wiki yet that is fully filled out.

kaput
09-28-2010, 03:29 PM

PD77
09-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I just tried the demo over the weekend and then had to purchase the game...it's fantastic! I have always been a fan of the turn-based strategy genre, and this is one of the best for sure.

Wraith
09-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Civ 5 is like video game crack.

If anyone's interested, use the code IGNDEAL or D2DTWITTER on direct2drive and to get 20% off

LLLimit
09-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm still struggling to find that addiction I had on Civ4. I'm not saying its not a good/great/fantastic game, but it's missing something I can't identify yet.

I've played 1 standard sized game, 2 continents. China dominated from the start.
Just downloaded an Earth pack, and just started as England w/ London around Italy.
Both at 2nd easiest difficulty.

Graham_A_M
09-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Wheres the best place to buy it, and how much? I had Civ 3, and just loved it.

schocker
09-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I thought no one else played it. I got it on release day and have found it to be much more fun overall than civ4 even though it seems to be a much slower pace. The way it is set up with no stacking units and removing religion/government make it a much more fun and strategic game imo.

Vagabond142
09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
There is one thing Civ 4 will have over Civ 5:

FTGDrr41aw8

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I haven't really given it a full play yet, but from what I have, Civ 5 is fun as always :D I do kinda miss forcing my enemies to worship my religion and shoving my "democracy" :angel: :angel: down their throats (I always ended up leaning towards military/diplomacy for expansion XD)

Crymson
09-28-2010, 09:31 PM
i kind of agree. I think i'ts ok, but i haven't been able to get into like i did civ 4. Mind you my laptop is pretty crumby, directx 10-11 don't work (the text comes up all garbled) and the game runs kind of choppy.

But, also, when i first started playing civ 4 on a crappy laptop i wasn't enamored with it. It was only once the annoyances of having a sub par computer were overcome that i truely became addicted.

snoop101
09-29-2010, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I would say Steam. Your going to have to have steam anyways to play it (though your not forced to buy from them). I was getting 2mb/sec download. Was really quick.

taemo
09-29-2010, 07:24 AM
I downloaded Civ Revolution on the iphone 2 weeks ago.. when I went to the mall with my gf she would be shopping while I was in a corner of a store playing.

I deleted it cause it was getting addicting but bought Civ 3 on Steam for like $5 last thursday in stead. I remember spending countless hours on it years ago, never had the chance to play Civ 4 though.
Saturday morning I give Civ 5 demo a go.. 1 hr into it the demo ends.. FFFUUU. I immediately go to Steam Store and buy Civ 5 on the spot.
The past 2 days I've been working 8hrs, then sleep for 3-4 hours, play from 11pm to 3am then sleep ago from 3am to 6am. Then work again.

I won as Japan on lvl 2 difficulty with a space victory on monday w/ 3 CPU. Now I'm playing as the Persians vs 2 CPU on lvl3 difficulty.

snoop let me know if you find a wiki for civ5.. there's some stuff that I still don't fully understand on how it works.

kaput
09-29-2010, 08:12 AM

taemo
09-29-2010, 08:22 AM
^ most likely it will if you run if you run dx9

can't really tell you solemnly from the price of your laptop.. does it have a video card? dual core? how much RAM?

best bet is download the demo and give it a try.

PD77
09-29-2010, 08:25 AM
It's strange, when I first start a map the game is super choppy, then within a minute or two is perfect, no hesitations for the remainder of the game. The computer I have isn't exactly a slouch either so I am not sure if it's DirectX causing it or what.

I can't put this game down...it is so damn addictive! Right now I just finished put the smackdown on Persia military-style so I think I might just try to win that way for the rest of this match; next game I want a space victory though just to play through the entire tech tree.

Wraith
09-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Use the code in my above post! $40. D2D just sends you a key that you register on steam

InRich
09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
is there a multiplayer? if so is it any good?

snoop101
09-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by InRich
is there a multiplayer? if so is it any good?

Not going to lie.. The Multiplayer needs a lot of work. It felt like its 10 years out of date. You know you can raid a huge boss in wow with like 40 people and have it run all smooth, but after creating a few cities in Civ 5 playing with a friend it felt like it was getting clunky. I could not image multiplayer when you get to 200+ turns. Even on single player after you got carriers, bombers, land units everywhere, taking over most of the world it gets a bit laggy.

On a side note.... After you get bombers it gets soooo fun. I can build my spaceship, but im waiting because im pretty much taking over the world muhahahaha.

b_t
09-29-2010, 04:50 PM
You need a BEAST processor and a lot of memory to keep this game running full speed right through to the end.. multiplayer isn't bad. I really don't like simultaneous turns though but its the only way to play an online game.

Me and a few buddies had a game running in Civ4 where we played over network with sequential turns.. that was a lot more fun but after two 8 hour sessions we were only on turn 250 and one of us was basically stunted, only had a couple cities left with poor production so we just abandoned our game.

Civ5 is fun though. I am lovin the new battle system but I prefer Civ4 in most other respects.

LLLimit
09-29-2010, 09:50 PM
^
Civ 5 heats up my processor more than Bioshock or SC2.

b_t
09-30-2010, 12:44 PM
it makes all my fans run so hard I'm looking into a different case & cooler just so I can make my comp STFU