PDA

View Full Version : Parking Tickets at UofC

Pages : [1] 2

rockwolf2001
09-28-2010, 09:02 PM
So I've received mixed news about this topic, and just wanted to create a thread to clear this up.

As we all know, the UofC has parking authority to enforce parking by giving "fines" to students. On the back of your fine it says that failure to pay may result in withholding on university graduation or something along those lines

My question is that since we never registered our car with the University, how would they know who drives the car?
has anyone tried to simply not pay the fine and see what happens?
anyone ever had their car towed from campus? if so, what did you do?

I've heard stories of people having multiple (like 10+) tickets and never paying them off, and nothing happens and they graduate from the university and go away

I've also heard other stories that people have had their student center have a "hold" placed in regards to registering for courses for the following year, or stories about having to go register a different license plate for their car because parking authority said that the car was no longer allowed on campus, and if seen would be towed.

On that note, I would also like to see how many days someone could go without paying for parking, and see if the total amount of tickets you get costs less than the total amount on fines, as i know that I've gotten away a couple times with not paying for parking for the day that i'm there

rockwolf2001
09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
hmm, this has some insight, but its like a year old...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/266569/university-parking-ticket-transcript/

any new updates to policy or changes to anything?

buh_buh
09-28-2010, 10:41 PM
I have probably over $1000 worth of parking tickets from U of C. I registered for classes and graduated with no problems at all.

turbotrip
09-28-2010, 11:33 PM
3 years ago I got a letter saying one of our cars had $1600 in tickets. I couldnt even guess what that number is at now. As long as the car is not under your name you are fine. Even if it is under your name you have a 50-50 chance of them putting a hold on ur student center.

Super_Geo
09-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Will they tow you if you're a repeat offender?

Power_Of_Rotary
09-29-2010, 12:54 AM
ive seen cars towed..but its been a long time since

Also it was being towed out of art parkade believe it or not. Just try to park somewhere tight so that tow trucks wont attempt towing it. I have 300 bucks outstanding and I dont plan on paying them a penny

buh_buh
09-29-2010, 02:03 AM
my car is registered under my name, and I've never had any problems.

rob.cal
09-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Yea, I wouldn't worry too much about it, what you can also do haha, is if you do get a ticket, park in that same lot the next time and just stick the ticket on your windshield. Worst that could happen is you'll get another ticket, but unless you've got a pretty distinct car, they'll probably just glance over it and be like oh, already ticketed this guy

thinmyster
09-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by rob.cal
Yea, I wouldn't worry too much about it, what you can also do haha, is if you do get a ticket, park in that same lot the next time and just stick the ticket on your windshield. Worst that could happen is you'll get another ticket, but unless you've got a pretty distinct car, they'll probably just glance over it and be like oh, already ticketed this guy

I doubt that would work. they would probably tow your ass for having multiple tickets on your car

Seanith
09-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
my car is registered under my name, and I've never had any problems.

I think they can only with hold if its registered in your name and you have a U of C issued parking pass in your name.

gkAeris
09-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I have probably over $1000 worth of parking tickets from U of C. I registered for classes and graduated with no problems at all.

You graduated? lol ;)

anyways, same deal here, i never pay for parking @ the U of C.

SCHIDER23
10-03-2010, 08:29 PM
I got a U of C ticket on June 12, I paid for the whole day since one of my cars was in the Driven car show, and decided to take my brothers truck, anyway they gave me a ticket for not leaving the parking card on the dashboard, which was a bunch of bs, so I decided to challenge it and well I'm still waiting for an answer lol, I asked the parking office lady how long did it usually take to get an answer, she kind of laught and said it was going to take a few months.:rofl: :rofl:

Seanith
10-03-2010, 10:46 PM
What do you guys think would happen if you didn't pay with a loaner car that you have while your car is getting repaired?

jazzyb
10-04-2010, 09:56 AM
yah my car was never registered under my name, i actually used to park for "free" quite often racked up the fines big time.

I found it cheaper and easier to change my license plate then pay the fines.

jmintz
10-04-2010, 11:02 PM
why dont you stop being a jew and just buy a parking pass.

gyu
10-04-2010, 11:07 PM
It doesn't affect your credit if you don't pay?

rockwolf2001
10-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by jmintz
why dont you stop being a jew and just buy a parking pass.

Because the University rips us out of enough money as it is, might as well find any way possible to get some of it back
thanks for contributing to the tread

Disoblige
10-27-2010, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
ive seen cars towed..but its been a long time since

Also it was being towed out of art parkade believe it or not. Just try to park somewhere tight so that tow trucks wont attempt towing it. I have 300 bucks outstanding and I dont plan on paying them a penny

I wonder if it's because they snuck in, or because they had withstanding tickets?

I tend to use Art Parkade these days because I'm worried about getting towed from my ridiculous debt. It would totally suck if I was towed out of there lol..

Seanith
10-27-2010, 07:15 AM
So I got a notice for an unpaid ticket. They gave me 30 days and if I don't pay $50 they can tow me apparently. So as long as I pay when I'm there now I should be fine right? I doubt they check license plates unless they haven't paid...

phatrabbit
11-17-2010, 02:48 AM
I was parked in the underground parkade today, with a fully visible pass right on my table sized dashboard, and got a fine with a code 15.12. Says my parking rights have been suspended. I do have an outstanding ticket from June.
What worries me is that some asshole actually took the time to lookup my plate even though i had my pass displayed.

Should i just ignore it, or should i just get a new plate.
And another question, if I wanted to cancel my old plate and get a new one, would i have to pay for outstanding u of c, impark, and vinci fines?

G-ZUS
11-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by phatrabbit
And another question, if I wanted to cancel my old plate and get a new one, would i have to pay for outstanding u of c, impark, and vinci fines?

No you won't!

nagooro
11-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Is there a certain number of tickets you can have before they start towing?

Disoblige
11-17-2010, 01:09 PM
No. They can tow anytime they wish. Depends on the person I suppose. A friend of mine parked without a ticket once and got towed on his first offense. Others have been receiving tickets more than once in the same area.

KO22
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
What happens if you don't pay the tickets.. i just got 2 from MRU, one back in september.. i just got a letter in the mail saying i have a court date or something december 12, 2010? What happens if I don't show? It's calgry parking auth

Kennyredline
11-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by rockwolf2001

Because the University rips us out of enough money as it is, might as well find any way possible to get some of it back
thanks for contributing to the tread
So you pay the money to go to university, don't like how much it is, so decide to NOT pay for something that you're supposed to? I hope your major isn't in economics.

wintonyk
11-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by KO22
What happens if you don't pay the tickets.. i just got 2 from MRU, one back in september.. i just got a letter in the mail saying i have a court date or something december 12, 2010? What happens if I don't show? It's calgry parking auth

Its Calgary Parking Authority so you will get convicted if you don't pay/show up. Then they add 20% to your ticket and you can't register your car until its paid up.

Same thing happened to me. I got ticketed when it was raining so my ticket wasn't legible. I got ticketed sometime between 8:45 and 9:30 pm too.

Disoblige
11-17-2010, 01:45 PM
If it's Calgary Parking Authority, you're parking on city streets/lots. You have to pay those. It isn't private property anymore.

chkolny541
11-17-2010, 07:12 PM

yea your going to wanna park anything that says calgary parking authority on it, those WILL fuck you hard

chkolny541
11-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

So you pay the money to go to university, don't like how much it is, so decide to NOT pay for something that you're supposed to? I hope your major isn't in economics.

you must have missed the SAIT parking thread, they even have the station ATTACHED to the school and they still dont wanna take the train

luxor
11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

If it's Calgary Parking Authority, you're parking on city streets/lots. You have to pay those. It isn't private property anymore.

CPA doesn't just enforce streets and public lots, they enforce private lots too when requested. I know MRU and most high school parking lots are enforced by CPA, luckily U of C isn't.

Anyways I think you should pay to park at the U of C because they can pull information on the owner of the plate and send the owner a letter. I've gotten one warning and one ticket, and a letter for that ticket like 2 weeks after. They also know how many tickets you've had with that plate with their ticket printing machine that they carry to issue tickets, like impark, because everybody gets a warning for their first ticket and they start issuing fines the next time.

g-m
11-18-2010, 12:33 AM

I've heard stories of people having multiple (like 10+) tickets and never paying them off, and nothing happens and they graduate from the university and go away
ding ding ding!

Chantastic
11-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Ugh CPA. I go to ACAD and got a ticket from them for parking out front, where there was NO signage saying you couldn't park there save for one tiny no parking sign around the freakin corner. I complained and lost the battle even with photo evidence of there being no sign posted but they argued the signage was clear. I paid up, then I went back to school a week or so later and someone had put up a no parking sign on the post right in front of where I was parked, with hose clamps. NOW they had clear signage.

But recently some clever person has taken that sign off and replaced it with a 3 hour parking sign as a project for class LOL. So now lots of people park out front and I have yet to see a ticket issued...we will see how long this lasts. I ain't gonna try it cause they'll probably think it was me who changed the sign!

luxor
11-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Chantastic
Ugh CPA. I go to ACAD and got a ticket from them for parking out front, where there was NO signage saying you couldn't park there save for one tiny no parking sign around the freakin corner. I complained and lost the battle even with photo evidence of there being no sign posted but they argued the signage was clear. I paid up, then I went back to school a week or so later and someone had put up a no parking sign on the post right in front of where I was parked, with hose clamps. NOW they had clear signage.

But recently some clever person has taken that sign off and replaced it with a 3 hour parking sign as a project for class LOL. So now lots of people park out front and I have yet to see a ticket issued...we will see how long this lasts. I ain't gonna try it cause they'll probably think it was me who changed the sign!

CPA's dispute resolution is a huge joke. Back in high school they (the school) sold us these cheap flimsy parking passes that didn't hook properly on the rear view mirrors. I was driving one day to get lunch and the pass blew off from having my windows opened. It fell on the floor and I picked it up and put it face up on the dash. I didn't bother putting it back up on my rear view mirror because it would just fall off again the next time I drove my car.

Needless to say, got a ticket when I got back to my car, yet my pass was sitting face up on the dash. Took a picture, sent it to CPA and got denied without a single reason. They are money hungry pigs. I'm pretty sure they haven't ever withdrawn a ticket before unless you somehow got a confession of wrong doing from one of their parking officers.

nobb
12-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I read on another thread that they just tow you to a UofC impound lot which isnt even locked up? Does anyone know the validity of this?

jwslam
12-15-2010, 10:54 AM
They actually tow? I've never seen it...

gqmw
12-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

They definitely tow. I've seen like 3 cars get towed this week from underground lol.

dkmlam
12-15-2010, 02:17 PM
My friend was towed last week. She parked int he Mac Hall udnerground lot for a couple weeks and never paid.

chkolny541
12-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
ive seen a few times myself also

Rarasaurus
12-15-2010, 02:56 PM
I had unpaid tickets and got towed on a day that i had a ticket displayed on my dash. I payed and they still ran my plate that day.

They tow you to their own lot and i had to pay all of my tickets before i could have my car back, plus 80 for the towing. This was 3 years ago.

turbotrip
12-15-2010, 05:00 PM
last week they towed quite a few cars, so be careful if you have tickets

Power_Of_Rotary
12-21-2010, 08:56 AM
How far will they go towards towing? Such as vehicles without tow hooks?

luxor
12-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
How far will they go towards towing? Such as vehicles without tow hooks?

Who says you need any sort of tow hooks to tow a car? The only "tow hooks" they need are either your front or rear wheels and if it's AWD all they need is put the other axle on dollies and your car is gone in less than 5 mins.

gyu
12-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Anybody ever try keeping an old ticket that is unpaid and just putting it on your windshield when you park at a lot without paying so it looks like you got a ticket already so they don't bother writing up another?
Someone put a ticket on my windshield ( its not mine, saw car beside me with it when I parked beside and he put it on mine cause someone else mustve put it on his cause ticket says honda but his car is toyota) and ive been thinking of just having it on my wiper to look like i got a ticket already

gqmw
12-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by gyu
Anybody ever try keeping an old ticket that is unpaid and just putting it on your windshield when you park at a lot without paying so it looks like you got a ticket already so they don't bother writing up another?
Someone put a ticket on my windshield ( its not mine, saw car beside me with it when I parked beside and he put it on mine cause someone else mustve put it on his cause ticket says honda but his car is toyota) and ive been thinking of just having it on my wiper to look like i got a ticket already

Lol I know people who have tried it. It probably works if they don't look closely. But I also know people who have gotten caught.

nobb
12-21-2010, 03:20 PM
How many guys do they usually have on per shift? Wouldnt the guy know that he didnt put the ticket on the car so it might be fishy...

rockwolf2001
01-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by nobb
How many guys do they usually have on per shift? Wouldnt the guy know that he didnt put the ticket on the car so it might be fishy...

I think you would be correct, it's shift work... so i think each parking authority has lots they have to visit each day.

do you think i'll still get towed if i start paying and parking in one of the lots with a tollbooth arm that comes up?
i mean... in order to get in, you HAVE to pay for the arm to go up... so there's no way parking authority is going to go into there and check plates on those cars...

g-m
01-04-2011, 10:27 PM
yea they do because people with 4x4s and shit offroad into the lots. Lot 11 was bad for that. Puzzled me for years why there were campus po standing randomly between two trees just doing nothing all day at the beginning of school every year.

diamondedge
01-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by g-m
yea they do because people with 4x4s and shit offroad into the lots. Lot 11 was bad for that. Puzzled me for years why there were campus po standing randomly between two trees just doing nothing all day at the beginning of school every year.

LOL that's awesome! Wouldn't work too well in winter, would leave tracks, lol.

buh_buh
01-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I just got towed today, and I had a ticket so be careful guys.
I've probably got over $2000 in parking fees, so I'm gonna have to figure out a way to scam my way out of paying my fines tomorrow to get my car back.

luxor
01-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I just got towed today, and I had a ticket so be careful guys.
I've probably got over $2000 in parking fees, so I'm gonna have to figure out a way to scam my way out of paying my fines tomorrow to get my car back.

Where did you get towed from?

I know where their impound lot is so if the gate is opened you should be able to drive your car out of there. Can't steal your own car.

nobb
01-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Where's the impound lot?

chkolny541
01-06-2011, 01:34 PM

do you think i'll still get towed if i start paying and parking in one of the lots with a tollbooth arm that comes up?
i mean... in order to get in, you HAVE to pay for the arm to go up... so there's no way parking authority is going to go into there and check plates on those cars...

lol. i dont even know what to say. brilliant logic

J-hop
01-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

lol. i dont even know what to say. brilliant logic

lol not so fast. Not sure what lots you are referring to, but many of them when there isn't someone working the booth have the arm in the up position to allow people to go in and out, so they still check them.

And if there is someone working the booth (which there generally is every week day)and you try to blow by this still wouldn't work. I know two guys that have got tickets from this!!

gyu
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm surprised they would check those lots where people are working the booths, there would be so many cars to check in lot 10 and 11. Sometimes I forget to put the ticket on my dash so I guess I'm lucky I haven't gotten a ticket.

Scope951
01-08-2011, 03:58 PM
I recently was issued an Impark ticket,

What will happen if I go park in the same lot, or another Impark lot, but DO pay? Can or will they do something?

Also the last impark ticket i did not pay was a year ago.

[GaGe]
01-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

lol not so fast. Not sure what lots you are referring to, but many of them when there isn't someone working the booth have the arm in the up position to allow people to go in and out, so they still check them.

And if there is someone working the booth (which there generally is every week day)and you try to blow by this still wouldn't work. I know two guys that have got tickets from this!!

I think he's referring to the Arts Parkade. You guys realize that Parking Services will be able to raise the arm without having to pay, right? lol :nut:

turbotrip
01-12-2011, 12:08 PM
where is the impound lot located? i feel like my luck may be about to run out soon

Disoblige
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Update buh_buh on your situation? Did they make you pay all your outstanding fines?

buh_buh
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I paid the towing fee and the ticket I got that day, and I got my car back. I also have a concrete number on my fines now. $1300 between my 2 cars, so I was pretty close on my guess.

The impound lot is right beside lot 10.

I'm told they're cracking down on unpaid tickets and fraudulent tickets, so be careful guys.

Disoblige
01-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Nice! I would only be worried about them connecting your name to the $1300 so you can't graduate until you pay those fines. Doesn't seem like they did though, which is great.

Yeah, I think they are towing a bit more now? Got a couple friends on their Facebook who said they got towed.

Funny thing is.. Today I parked in the Craigie Hall Arts Parkade loop where you can only stay there for 10 minutes with flashers on for over 50 minutes :rofl:

What I did was I parked really close to a construction truck, turned my wheel entirely to the left, and put a Club lock on it. Made it almost impossible to tow, but I came back without a ticket anyways.

I'm around where you're at too buh_buh! I'm going to be very cautious from now on.

J-hop
01-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by gyu
I'm surprised they would check those lots where people are working the booths, there would be so many cars to check in lot 10 and 11. Sometimes I forget to put the ticket on my dash so I guess I'm lucky I haven't gotten a ticket.

yea i think the main thing they check for is illegal parked individuals. Last year I watched one day as a bunch of idiots that had illegally parked beside the medians in lot 10 (illegal because it partially blocks the lane) all got tickets.

buh_buh
01-14-2011, 12:20 AM
I just graduated last June.
I just use the gym there. I got a letter in the mail this week saying they've put in a request to the registrar to withhold any changes to my student center and grades, and that I can't graduate without paying those fines. So I guess the school can do it, they just have to put in a request.

sneek
01-17-2011, 07:00 PM
:( They are tight with parking this year,

I was a bit late today and I really needed to go for this class on time. I parked for 50 minutes and came back to a a ticket :(

I have paid for parking everyday since University started, so this sucks a bit. Once I got home I paid the ticket right away!

jsn
01-18-2011, 03:49 AM
^^ how much was the ticket?

cashflow
01-18-2011, 05:02 AM
I paid the towing fee and the ticket I got that day, and I got my car back. I also have a concrete number on my fines now. $1300 between my 2 cars, so I was pretty close on my guess.

The impound lot is right beside lot 10.

I'm told they're cracking down on unpaid tickets and fraudulent tickets, so be careful guys.

What makes a ticket fraudulent? Could anyone please explain?

buh_buh
01-18-2011, 11:34 AM
just fake tickets

t_soarer
01-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by cashflow

Or if you use a ticket you've received previously to try and fool the parking services into thinking you already got one for the day and they won't bother checking. From what I hear, this does not work as well as it used....

luxor
01-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by cashflow

Perhaps a fabricated or an altered expired ticket. I heard of a story where a friend of a friend had an altered expired ticket. He was caught and towed and was accused of fraud. I don't think they pressed any charges and to his defense, he claimed that he bought the ticket off some guy at the ticket machine for half price.

rockwolf2001
01-19-2011, 02:19 AM
just tried to park at the church as well... and it looks like you can get a parking pass there... as long as you attend a free 13-week (every Saturday) course held by them...

sneek
01-19-2011, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by jsn
^^ how much was the ticket?

$40 because I paid right away

$50 if I waited to a certain date.

speedog
01-19-2011, 08:23 AM
just tried to park at the church as well... and it looks like you can get a parking pass there... as long as you attend a free 13-week (every Saturday) course held by them... I've seen that church's sign and figured something had to be given up for that 'free' parking.

jsn
01-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by speedog
I've seen that church's sign and figured something had to be given up for that 'free' parking.

:werd: I figured it would be somewhere along the lines of them trying to convert me.

I just got a 40 dollar parking ticket at the U of C. Wasn't very upset though. I parked in that parking lot for over a month and a half without paying before I got that ticket. Saved around 100 bucks even after the 40 dollar ticket. That'll pay for a whole month of parking:)

Disoblige
01-23-2011, 10:29 PM
You'd think that after 15+ unpaid $30-$40 tickets, and finally $50 tickets, that they'd assume that issuing you $70 tickets isn't going to make you pay up :rofl:

rockwolf2001
01-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Alright,
so maybe i'm just going crazy and this is all 100% bullshit,
but i think i've begun to notice a pattern or a route that parking patrol follows on a daily basis when checking the lots.

i think its a set route to maximize efficiency for them, and therefore if you park after certain hours in certain lots, you won't get a ticket.

to confirm this, would any beyond members help by posting the time that they got issued their ticket and in what lot it was on what day?

all my tickets have been given at roughly 12:15, or if i park at the lot that's slightly further away to it, the ticket is roughly 15 minutes earlier.
Maybe its psyco-bable and just a coincidence :dunno:
or maybe i'm onto something.

and please nobody go off on some stupid rant about how its retarded to spend all this time and effort to cheat parking authority...

t_soarer
01-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Alright,
so maybe i'm just going crazy and this is all 100% bullshit,
but i think i've begun to notice a pattern or a route that parking patrol follows on a daily basis when checking the lots.

i think its a set route to maximize efficiency for them, and therefore if you park after certain hours in certain lots, you won't get a ticket.

to confirm this, would any beyond members help by posting the time that they got issued their ticket and in what lot it was on what day?

all my tickets have been given at roughly 12:15, or if i park at the lot that's slightly further away to it, the ticket is roughly 15 minutes earlier.
Maybe its psyco-bable and just a coincidence :dunno:
or maybe i'm onto something.

and please nobody go off on some stupid rant about how its retarded to spend all this time and effort to cheat parking authority...

You may be onto something, because I got my ticket in the Math Sciences parking lot outside of ST at 12:30 back in November.

colt22
01-25-2011, 01:57 PM
-----

nagooro
04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
After parking at uofc for 3-4 months without paying, they finally towed me.
3 outstanding tickets: $50, $50, $70
tow fee: $100
total: $270

But she cancelled the $70 ticket so ended up paying $200.

Don't quote me on this, but apparently the first two tickets are $50. Your next (third or after) parking infractions is when they start towing (if they want to), and tickets after the first two are $70.
Also depends on who is towing and how generous they are that day.

msommers
04-05-2011, 12:23 AM
:rofl:

luxor
04-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by nagooro
After parking at uofc for 3-4 months without paying, they finally towed me.
3 outstanding tickets: $50, $50, $70
tow fee: $100
total: $270

But she cancelled the $70 ticket so ended up paying $200.

Don't quote me on this, but apparently the first two tickets are $50. Your next (third or after) parking infractions is when they start towing (if they want to), and tickets after the first two are $70.
Also depends on who is towing and how generous they are that day.

The $70 ticket notes that your parking privileges on campus were suspended correct (suspension due to outstanding unpaid tickets)?

btimbit
04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm not a student there, but my girlfriend lives in the residence and I'm there all the time. I stopped paying for parking months ago and haven't gotten a ticket yet. I'm there in the evenings and my guess is they're a bit more relaxed when it's not the usual school hours. I'll be there overnight quite often, and here's always this red mazda 3 parked right in the 2 hour zone, sometimes the 15 minutes loading zone overnight, and I've seen it there for days with no ticket.

But say I did get a ticket. It's not CPA right, I'm not legally obligated to pay it? Will they just threaten to tow the car next time it's there with unpaid tickets? If they do, my guess is they don't tow it to a city lot, do they have their own impound lot? It's it gated/protected?

I'd have no issue paying for parking, but it's damn expensive. You'd think it'd be free in the evenings, unless there was something going on at McMahon. Guess they're just greedy, which only makes me want to not pay even more.

colinxx235
04-05-2011, 06:19 PM
^

Well they don't necessarily have to warn you after the first offense. It all depends on the parking douche bags evaluation of the situation. If/when they do tow your vehicle, it is put into their gated lot. Costs over $150 plus ticket price to get out IIRC.

btimbit
04-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

Well they don't necessarily have to warn you after the first offense. It all depends on the parking douche bags evaluation of the situation. If/when they do tow your vehicle, it is put into their gated lot. Costs over $150 plus ticket price to get out IIRC.

Is it true they sometimes leave the gate open? I think it was said by someone else in this thread.

This sounds like an ignorant question, but hell, I'll ask anyway. What's the legality behind this? If I'm not legally obligated to pay the ticket, are they legally able to hold my car ransom like that? Say someone parked on my driveway, would I be allowed to take their car and hold it until they payed me?

badatusrnames
04-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Guess they're just greedy, which only makes me want to not pay even more.

They've definitely been squeezing every last dollar they can out of parking. While I've been there, the rates have steadily gone up, while the hours you could park for free has steadily shrunk.

nagooro
04-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

But say I did get a ticket. It's not CPA right, I'm not legally obligated to pay it? Will they just threaten to tow the car next time it's there with unpaid tickets? If they do, my guess is they don't tow it to a city lot, do they have their own impound lot? It's it gated/protected?

It is not CPA, its just the university parking authority. Which is why I didnt want to pay my tickets either, but was forced to when I got towed.
The impound lot is right next to lot 10, if you drive by you will see a gated area, its actually not even that big. When I went in there yesterday to get my car there was probably another 4 cars in there and not too much room for more. Although mountains of snow were also covering some of the area.
As for the gate itself, its locked with a padlock I believe, need a key to open it.

^

Do you know if there is any fine print on the first and second tickets in regards to being towed?
Tow fee for myself yesterday was $100.

heinz256
04-05-2011, 10:54 PM
As for the gate itself, its locked with a padlock I believe, need a key to open it.

haha so technically you can go there overnight, cut the padlock and drive off. Unless theres security there 24/7

WithTheLightsOn
04-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by heinz256

haha so technically you can go there overnight, cut the padlock and drive off. Unless theres security there 24/7

Wouldn't they have surveillance cameras anyway? I'm sure they record the cars they bring in, so it would be fairly easy to identify and charge you for trespassing.

cream
04-06-2011, 09:47 AM
It's only 100$ towing fee.

And FOR THE RECORD, if you get towed and have 10 outstanding tickets and finish school soon, DO NOT PAY YOUR TICKETS.

You have a choice to pay what you want. If you graduate this year, I would recommend you to pay the towing fee and just be careful with your parking for the remaining months. Once you're out of here, you're good to go. You are NOT obligated to pay the tickets. That's what the parking attendant told me when I had to go pay as well.

btimbit
04-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by cream

And FOR THE RECORD, if you get towed and have 10 outstanding tickets and finish school soon, DO NOT PAY YOUR TICKETS.

You have a choice to pay what you want. If you graduate this year, I would recommend you to pay the towing fee and just be careful with your parking for the remaining months. Once you're out of here, you're good to go. You are NOT obligated to pay the tickets. That's what the parking attendant told me when I had to go pay as well.

That's exactly why I'm curious, because I don't even go to school there, I just visit often, so what obligation do I have to pay :poosie:

turbotrip
04-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I've been scoping the impound lot out for the past little bit just out of curiosity. It seems like sometimes they do actually leave the gate open, but only when a security car is somewhere in the vicinity. If you aren't a student I would definitely try to plan a heist lol. Last month I actually drove into the impound and parked there and watched as they dropped off a towed car. After about 5-6 minutes the security guy started walking towards my car and I took off.

nagooro
04-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by cream

Wish I knew this sooner, or read my tow ticket/receipt fully before paying.
It pretty much just says if you don't pay your outstanding tickets, you are not allowed to park on campus. I would have been fine with that and only paying my tow fee. Oh well.

colinxx235
04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
^

in the future all those guy getting tickets should just scam the machines... found out today that it still works considering my pass expired march 31st and I needed to find a solution for the last few weeks of my degree :clap:

btimbit
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
^

in the future all those guy getting tickets should just scam the machines... found out today that it still works considering my pass expired march 31st and I needed to find a solution for the last few weeks of my degree :clap:

Hmm. Please explain :bigpimp:

turbotrip
04-06-2011, 10:07 PM
^prepaid credit cards where you have already used the full amount on the card. only certain cards work though

nobb
04-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Ive tried this on most of the day lots that dont have attendants. Does not work anymore. They've upgraded the machines to call in your card # to verify if it is a prepaid or not. Might still work on some of the reserved lots that are open to the public after 6 though.

turbotrip
04-06-2011, 10:15 PM
still works, but like i said only certain cards work now

kbye
04-06-2011, 11:23 PM
it still works, i tried it successfully on lot 13 after 6 today.

btimbit
04-07-2011, 02:52 AM
I'll test it sometime soon as well

nagooro
04-07-2011, 03:08 AM
Can they trace the card back to you at all?
And where can you buy these cards? Specifically the "certain ones" that work?

Type_S1
04-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Don't share the secrets...if everyone knows they crack down on it a lot sooner :facepalm:

They already cancelled the abilities of 3-4 cards already

luxor
04-07-2011, 09:34 AM
^

Yeah good luck with that. Currently they are swapping ALL the pay machines out with new ones that are "online" and pre-authorize so this old trick doesn't work anymore. I've never swiped a pre-paid card before but know of people who did and they got caught. It's actually very easy for them to determine who is using what card. Your partial credit card number is printed on the stub and also a serial number of the ticket is located on the bottom right corner. All they have to do is reverse look up your ticket and you're done.