PDA

View Full Version : Favorite road and why?

redline_13000
12-29-2003, 02:26 AM
I dont think this has been a topic before, and im bored as hell. Well mine is memorial, especially when its about 4 am, 4 open lanes i just like it for some reason:thumbsup::dunno: :whocares:

tegdream
12-29-2003, 02:48 AM
many nice roads in the city, especailly at 4 am :D memorial is good...barlow north of mcknight, glenmore (east, past ogden road) catnt htihknk of anymore rite now

fast_cars
12-29-2003, 02:49 AM
hahah..
mine is the part of Mcknight between 32nd street and Barlow!!
speed limit of 80 and 4 lanes i think!!:rofl:

kevie88
12-29-2003, 02:53 AM
3: The Bow Valley Parkway between Banff and Lake Louise
2: Miette Hot Springs road in jasper (still #2 even tho I crashed my bike and broke my back there)
1: Creston BC to Kootany bay. The absolute king of corners!! :D :clap: Best road ever!!

KoukiS14
12-29-2003, 02:58 AM
Oh hell yeah,

Bow Valley Parkway, 1A, at Sunrise is wicked. Its like a race track in some parts. Gotta watch out for Elk :eek:

Hwy 1A from Cochrane to Canmore. Good drive as well. Road is in fairly poor condition though which makes for a bumpy ride.

Hwy 66 out by Bragg Creek is fun also but only at high speeds which i won't mention.

Hwy 762 ive heard is good also but have yet to do it.

Hwy 40 through Kananaskis is great again. Makes a nice afternoon day trip in spring or fall when its not loaded with campers and RV's. 2 1/2 - 3 hour round trip.

hjr
12-29-2003, 02:59 AM
Groat Road - Edm AB. Fun twisties. Many young dumb drivers smash thier shit up on this road. The concrete deviders are unforgiving. You must respect it... haha

vtec
12-29-2003, 03:01 AM
16 ave...down by the U of C

Ben
12-29-2003, 03:10 AM
Favorite roads. Welp, Roads I've been on personally that I remember being Kick ass!

Highway 1A

-stretch between Calgary and Banff, whiteknuckle.

-Stretch from Banff to Lake Louse (Bow Valley Parkway). Scenic and fun!
http://www.psylence.com/GTI/setfreegti.jpg
http://www.psylence.com/GTI/mountaingti01.jpg

US 101 -

Outstanding!!!! Words Cannot Describe

Highway 93 to Radium.

Desolate and Fast.

Highway 190 Through Death Valley Ntn'l Park.

The road quality was imaculate even though we saw probably 5 vehicles the whole time. You fly down this 40 mile dead straight stretch and we got Grazed by US fighter jets flying LOW to the ground, probably one of the most amazing things I've seen, 2 F18's flying towards you 50 ft off the ground and SUPER fast.

Took this from basically half way accross death Vally. It went to about -100 ft below sea level at one point. HOT! Thermometer was at 129 d F

http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/Various/DeathValleyLandscape.jpg

itsnotaDUB
12-29-2003, 03:17 AM
i like old banff. and i love the drive to vancouver

hjr
12-29-2003, 03:20 AM
another awsome road is SR410 in Washington State. Sooo nice. It runs through Mt. Rainier National Park. Great mountain pass road.

Ben
12-29-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by hjr
another awsome road is SR410 in Washington State. Sooo nice. It runs through Mt. Rainier National Park. Great mountain pass road.

Ah yes, that would be this one :)

:)

http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/Various/410a.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/Various/410b.jpg

I love the US roads.

GTS Jeff
12-29-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by hjr
Groat Road - Edm AB. Fun twisties. Many young dumb drivers smash thier shit up on this road. The concrete deviders are unforgiving. You must respect it... haha haha edmonton touge!

yes that road is challenging, but the barriers are quite scary. groat road can end boredom or anger very quickly!

ZMan2k2
12-29-2003, 09:24 AM
I gotta say the "Kicking horse pass" in BC. If I'm going to Vancouver, I'll skip the Coquihalla Highway, in favor of KHP, just cause it's so damn fun! Besides, where else are you gonna go through a small town named 'Hells Gate'. :D

benyl
12-29-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
I gotta say the "Kicking horse pass" in BC. If I'm going to Vancouver, I'll skip the Coquihalla Highway, in favor of KHP, just cause it's so damn fun! Besides, where else are you gonna go through a small town named 'Hells Gate'. :D

The kicking horse pass, if I am not mistaken is between Field and Golden. I could be wrong.

One of the best roads is coming off the Ferry from Faquir and going to Lumby BC. After you pass all the traffic from the ferry (on a bike it is quick), you are almost guaranteed an empty road.

hampstor
12-29-2003, 09:44 AM
I'll have to agree with Groat Road in Edmonton. By far one of the funnest roads I've ever driven on!!

ryder_23
12-29-2003, 09:45 AM
One thats not too bad is the one from sicamous to vernon...twistie road along side Mera lake i believe...not too bad

redec
12-29-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by benyl

The kicking horse pass, if I am not mistaken is between Field and Golden. I could be wrong.

kicking horse is between lake louise and field....

4wheeldrift
12-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Going to the Sun Valley Road in Montana. The road is narrow, only two lanes wide but it climbs several thousand metres in a couple of kilometres. Tons of switchbacks, and a long drop to look forward to if you screw up.

ZMan2k2
12-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by redec

kicking horse is between lake louise and field....

Well then, what's the one that I'm thinking of? I know they built the Coquihalla, in order to bypass it, and it's between Merritt and Kamloops. Anyone? I've always called it KickingHorse, but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I still think it's a cool stretch of road, following along the canyon walls, and tons of twisties.

civiclvr
12-29-2003, 10:33 AM
HAHAHA my fav road is an old heritage road out in BC no cops, no posted limit and so many challenges, blinf corners everywhere, 90 degree corners by the water and dips and bumps to make it feel like a rollercoaster.. so awesome

DUBBED
12-29-2003, 10:43 AM
1 - Old Banff Coach Road heading out towards Trans Canada.

2 - 6th Ave. leaving downtown where all those twisties are then turns into a HUGE 4 lanes straight up bowtrial!! had a couple good runs on the one back in the day.

3G
12-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Favorite roads. Welp, Roads I've been on personally that I remember being Kick ass!

Highway 1A

-stretch between Calgary and Banff, whiteknuckle.

-Stretch from Banff to Lake Louse (Bow Valley Parkway). Scenic and fun!

:werd:

I love those scenic roads that go between mountains and arund hills stuff. We got this one road in Lebanon we used to drive like across the country every week in the country just to drive up and down it.

EK 2.0
12-29-2003, 11:22 AM
I love highway 40 up to Kananaskis...but the drive to Golden, and evena bit past that into the interior of B.C. is an amazing drive in the summertime...

Plus being from Calgary, I dont know this road...but my cousin in Edmonton took me to it...its past this park and you hang a quick left, and then you drive up this hill...its all twisty, and curvy...its a great short couple mins...through this little valley...it would make a great Inital D track...

ryder_23
12-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
1 - Old Banff Coach Road heading out towards Trans Canada.

that road claims so many cars every year...people dont know road, go a little too fast, and then they wind up flipped upside down in a ditch. Lots of exotics drive that road in the summer. Great road tho :thumbsup:

rage2
12-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Remember, this was many years ago before I lost my balls :rofl:.

In town:

Crowchild Northbound, turnoff onto Memorial Westbound. Awesome corners... very tight and high speed right, brake for the tighter left hander.

Memorial East, onto Crowchild South. Pretty much reverse of above, but even faster cuz it's uphill and camber favors you.

Crowchild Southbound onto Glenmore East bridge. High speed changing camber changing radius corner, with a nice bump in the middle of the "line". Should be able to exit with a full opposite lock drift towards the barriers if u get the line and speed right :rofl:.

Back when they were building the Crowchild/Shaganappi bridge, they had Shaganappi Southbound barrier'd off like a chicane, which ends with a big huge slab of concrete. It looks like the max speed is about 80, but u can actually take it at 150 and nearly clip that huge slab of concrete :).

On the highway:

Vancouver to Calgary, late at night. I only know 1 person that has beat my 6 hour record. Golden area is damn insane fun.

Highway 1a between Cochrane and Canmore. Don't need to speed too excessively to drive 8/10ths. An insane amount of random bumps, tight corners, and zero runoff (meaning nowhere for cops to hide!)

20km stretch of highway south of Bowden. Top speed run mania haha.

And of course, if u wanna stay legal:

Stoney Trail between 16th ave NW and Crowchild Trail. Looks like a scene from a video game in the summer. Rolling hills all around you while cruising on a huge bridge.

Groat Road Edmonton. You don't have to drive fast to enjoy the corners.

Highway 1a between Cochrane and Canmore. At speed limit, there's enough corners to practice the ideal line for 20 mins, as long as there's no traffic :).

Montana Highways. Sure they have a speed limit, but it's not really enforced. I blew by a cop going 200, and he didn't even bother. He was going about 160.

B17a
12-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Vancouver to Calgary, late at night. I only know 1 person that has beat my 6 hour record. Golden area is damn insane fun.

6 hours!!! WTF?? IT's about 1000km's right? So that's an average of 167km/h! Jeezzzuuss!!

My personal fav is the curves from southbound 16th ave (near COP) onto westbound Sarcee Trail.

kevie88
12-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Oh hey! I forgot the Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler (and beyond! ;) ) That Highway kicks ass too!

Inthered
12-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
3: The Bow Valley Parkway between Banff and Lake Louise
2: Miette Hot Springs road in jasper (still #2 even tho I crashed my bike and broke my back there)
1: Creston BC to Kootany bay. The absolute king of corners!! :D :clap: Best road ever!!

Originally posted by NismoS14
Oh hell yeah,

Bow Valley Parkway, 1A, at Sunrise is wicked. Its like a race track in some parts. Gotta watch out for Elk :eek:

Hwy 1A from Cochrane to Canmore. Good drive as well. Road is in fairly poor condition though which makes for a bumpy ride.

Hwy 66 out by Bragg Creek is fun also but only at high speeds which i won't mention.

Hwy 762 ive heard is good also but have yet to do it.

Hwy 40 through Kananaskis is great again. Makes a nice afternoon day trip in spring or fall when its not loaded with campers and RV's. 2 1/2 - 3 hour round trip.

All of these roads except for the Jasper one I've been on. The most killer around here is the road out to Nelson, BC. The one that kevie88 was talking about. Went up to Kokannie (SP?) Springs a couple years ago. That road is treacherous!!! Would love to go on a bike, but would probably kill myself.

Next summer will be fun with a digital camera and a better suspension.

GTS Jeff
12-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Groat Road Edmonton. You don't have to drive fast to enjoy the corners. groat road is good late at nite cuz its a main road and during the daytime there are always fudge factory landboats going 20 around the corners

it gets fun at 100+ kmh

benyl
12-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Here is a road course that my buddy and I used to on our bikes.

Start from 17ave east bound, take right hander to crowchild north.

Get off onto westbound memorial and take the first right exit onto kensington. Hang a right on crowchild south and exit right away onto memorial drive eastbound.

cruise (do wheelies if you so desire as it is straight), then get off on 14th south. Go over the bridge and take the first exit to 9ave eastbound.

Take a left after millenium park (slowest part of the journey). Left onto 6th ave eastbound. Take the left 14st northbound exit. Go over the bridge and take the memorial west exit.

Take the kensington exit and start all over.

We used to do this track 10 times a night when we first got our bikes. Most of the corners are slower (1-2 gear on a bike) but can be taken fast so you stay legal most of the way.

It is a great time, nice corners, and in the city. I am sure that it would be fun in a car too.

ApexDrift
12-29-2003, 01:33 PM
in the city i love the deerfoot to bettington trail turn off at 3 in the morning i always try to take the turn as fast as possible on the inside lane i think my best was 130 or 135 inside lane good road conditions

out if calgary... the drive to van is great if your going as fast as possible

T5_X
12-29-2003, 01:34 PM
Highway 97A, north of Vernon to highway 1.

Highway 3 (Crowsnest) between Keremeos and the lower mainland (connects back to highway 1 near Hope)

And uhhh, the highway north of Vulcan to Caresland... many well paved straight gradual declines for top speed trials :burnout:

davidI
12-29-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2

Well then, what's the one that I'm thinking of? I know they built the Coquihalla, in order to bypass it, and it's between Merritt and Kamloops. Anyone? I've always called it KickingHorse, but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I still think it's a cool stretch of road, following along the canyon walls, and tons of twisties.
http://www.bctravel.com/se/field.html :thumbsup:

JustinL
12-29-2003, 02:35 PM
Edmonton: the north end of 184th Street is awesome. Hard right followed by a tight S curve. Plenty wide incase you foul up the corner and if you do you only slide into dirt/grass.

Groat road is fun... but it takes it's fair share of casualties every year. IMHO the penalty is too high on that road to really push hard. I've seen bikes bounce off the concrete and plenty o' paint on the barricades from cars.

hjr
12-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by hjr
Groat Road - Edm AB. Fun twisties. Many young dumb drivers smash thier shit up on this road. The concrete deviders are unforgiving. You must respect it... haha

Originally posted by JustinL
Groat road is fun... but it takes it's fair share of casualties every year. IMHO the penalty is too high on that road to really push hard. I've seen bikes bounce off the concrete and plenty o' paint on the barricades from cars. Very True. The trick is to know what corners are coming. they all seem the same but arn't. it gets a bunch of people every year. Some fool ran a lude(?maybe) through the 1st (tightest) corner on the downhill at approx 150 and yet walked away. Car was totalled. But you cannot protect people from themselves.

4wheeldrift
12-29-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by hjr

But you cannot protect people from themselves. Though it doesn't stop the lawyers from trying.

redec
12-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
Oh hey! I forgot the Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler (and beyond! ;) ) That Highway kicks ass too!

OMG that road is suicide :P nice and curvy, but zero room for error :P

rogue
12-29-2003, 05:00 PM
kananaskis has the best roads and usually arent to busy, well kept fairly fresh ashphalt but i dont go out as much as i used to. As for some good speed cant really beat calgary to edmonton ( how long did it take like 45min to an hour from wendys airdrie to budpark , correct me if i am wrong IN THE RED or 04BLACKMAX) good times good times. Some how we made it there going average (give or take) 175 kmh with 9 cars and nobody got stopped. Never gonna take that risk again ( Damn that fast and furious movie makin us all drive fast back in the day) Stupid movie got me a ticket.:thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
12-29-2003, 06:31 PM
Highway 68 otherwise known as Spray lakes road Crazy trail with a shear Drop to the side of you awsome Turns for Drifting, crazy blind corners and some fast straights of course this is only the 1st 10-15 as you climb the mountain after that its a nice wide fire road
I also love the 1a between Banff and Lac Louis haha great road

another small section of road On wich they filmed one of the RSX type S comercials is right near my house the Three sisters Parkway Great road in the summer, not so great now though all the contruction arround our area has bastardized it to hell, so many bumps and man holes

l/l/rX
12-29-2003, 06:45 PM
highway 1A in the morning when there's sunlight, and barely any cars on the road.

old banff coach road in the morning also.

both roads are windy n twisty, and have their fair amounts of straight aways to floor it.
except the speed limit on old banff coach road is only 60, soo got to be somewhat careful of the photoradar and is somewhat located by residentials. unlike highway 1a. speed limit is like what? 80 90? dont remember.

all in all both great roads to drive on.

l/l/rX
12-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by redec

OMG that road is suicide :P nice and curvy, but zero room for error :P

:werd: that road is scary. it's too tight. but aren't they going to extend it for the olympics or have they decided not to? if they do extend it, it would be pretty sweet then.

Primer_Drift
12-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Nearly any paved backroad near Sundre Alberta.

tegdream
12-29-2003, 07:04 PM
ill be trying all these come summer :D

A_3
12-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Old Banff for sure, as long as you know the road pretty good it's amazing, back roads around Bragg Creek are pretty fun to

milesmcewing
12-30-2003, 10:15 AM
I just can't resist getting in on this one!

Alberta Roads:
Maycroft to Livingston gap
940 Highwood to Junction #3
Westcastle connector to Waterton
Skyline trail to heath then into Beaver Brooke (Porcupine hills)
Oldman river road from 940 to the sawmill

BC Roads:
Kelowna to Nakusp (Brand new pavement 2 years ago!!) According to a motorcycle tour book it has 200 corners in 90 miles!

Harvey pass -lodgepole fire road
Kaslo ferry to 93 connector, skinny, no traffic and good pavement
Any of about a million logging roads in BC high country

Pemberton Squamish road

US Roads:
Lolo Pass -montana
Going to the sun- Montana if going to the sun is closed, browning to ST. mary is cool too
Pipestone- Montana
Lots of great roads in Idaho
Santa rosa to Clear lake - California
Eastern townships- Vermont

South Africa - Any of the Cape mountain passes, we have done 34 of the 38 there, amazing scenery, no ditches and great pavement

Northern Italy-
San remo to Apricale- One of the WRC stages, barely wider than the car, goes to an ancient village perched on a mountaintop.

Switzerland- Sustenpass,Furkapass into Gotthardpass. Holy Cow!

Alsace any of the village roads winding along the border

Corsica- ANY road, so many views and corners, you get tired of turning the steering wheel.

This summer we are planning a road trip using the original italiian job movie roads. Get a copy of the original. the first five minutes are worth it alone.

Drop me a line if you are planning a trip or want to see pictures or maps etc.
We have been doing road trips around the world for years, We still have spots for two cars on the Italy trip.

Happy new year!

Miles

SinisterProbeGt
12-30-2003, 10:20 AM
I would have to say for in-town
Glenmore east bound to the deefoot south interchange
blackfoot trail to glemore west bound
bowtrail in and out of downtown

out of town

hwy 2 north or dead rear
hwy 1a to banff
hwy #1 from the ont border to toronto tons of hills and great banked curves:thumbsup:

wideopen
12-30-2003, 12:37 PM
i envy most of you, i live in the midwest 'flatlands', their are no curvy mountain roads with scenic views

my favorite roads are just a few backroads with some nice curves and no other cars :D

three.eighteen.
12-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by hjr

chased tons of cars down this...same with that little stretch that leads down to the northbound metal bridge

ExtremeSi
12-30-2003, 09:24 PM
Highway #4 on Vancouver Island is amazing. It crosses from the east side of the island all the way to Tofino beach :thumbsup: . Soooo many twisties. If traffic is light it's a dream. The speed limit is 80km/h or something, but most turns have a 30km/h warning

ninspeed
12-30-2003, 09:44 PM
-goat road south of 104th... shit i have not driven that road in a good year and a half...
-Glenmore east to deerfoot south
i think 37th street (one lane bridge) has a fun up hill right hand
best road.... ... smyth dr pentiction BC. 130 degree hairpin turn with nice up hill and finshes with a nice 180 wise sweeping corner.. lots of 90's....

EK 2.0
12-30-2003, 09:56 PM
I already posted about the road in E-Town my cousin made me drive him in my Talon on...its after the park and really nice and twisty...2 lanes if I remember correctly...

Well, my question is...Is that "groat" road that everyone is talking about??...I just really wanna know what the name of that road is...

JustinL
12-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Cyclone-- that is groat road. Concrete divided, 2 lanes each way and steel guard rail on the right. It runs up a little valley to the westmount shopping centre and south either to Hawrelak park/university or to another nice road called rivervalley road.

There used to be a little back road out west in edmonton by the water treatment plant. IT snaked it's way through a little valley with lots of twists and a bridge up to a hairpin and out onto the back country roads.

J.

PsI
12-30-2003, 10:59 PM
84th street north of mcknight... hella good road, and lines painted a 1/4 mile apart...:clap:

Dave P
01-03-2004, 03:37 AM
Highway 762 was sweet, but now it is way to crowded

The road up to johnsons canyon is fun if there is no traffic

Highways around waterton and the boarder are fun

The dirt road up to spray lakes and then to k country in canmore is fun for pretending to be a rally driver

In lethbridge bridge road is alright. its short, but the only road with turns on it hahah

kenny
01-03-2004, 08:26 PM
ahhh Groat Road, i have fond memories of that road. Tires screeching on some of those corners, it was lots of fun. Going uphill is lot more forgiving than coming down. I remember driving on that road on one of the RSX club cruises.

The drive back from Vancouver to Calgary is really fun at night as well, but its best if you have a radar fodder vehicle in front of you :D

CRXguy
01-03-2004, 10:35 PM
The best road for me would have to be Highway 101 in Northern California. From Santa Rosa to Eureka, well closer to Eureka, you're basically driving through the forest. Lots of hairpins and 90 degree turns. Scary as hell driving through there at 2am, and even worse when you're right beside the ocean. :eek:

JC Civic
01-04-2004, 12:04 AM
My favorite road/highway definatly has to be highway 93 going up north to Jasper from Lake Louise. Fun road with amazing views. It's almost hard to keep your eyes on the road the views are so spectacular.

Second would be highway 40. It's a nice day drive, you can drive the whole road in one afternoon.

I also like highway 3 from Cranbrook to Creston. The road is sort of curvy and high up.

Scott
01-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by JC Civic

I also like highway 3 from Cranbrook to Creston. The road is sort of curvy and high up.

LOL, that road sux, too many pot holes right now.

The drive from creston to the kootenay lake ferry is the best, i saw it mentioned and hell yeah, that was the first place i went with my lowerd car LOL, now with Z rated 17" rubber it will be more fun.

The road from Fauqier to kelown was shit when i went tthrough last, if it got new pavement then thats awsome, definately a tight road but the pavement was crap when i went through (3 years ago i think)