PDA

View Full Version : How To Go About Learning/Buying a Sports Bike...

dj_patm
09-30-2010, 11:45 AM
So I've decided that next summer, I am getting a sports bike. I just can't take the epic amounts of jealousy I feel when I see someone fly away on a bike.

Now I know a sport bike shouldn't be the first bike you learn on but not a single other style of Bike appeals to me even remotely. It's all I want and since it would be more of a "toy" then a critical means of transport, I really don't want to have to settle.

So, how does one go about starting to learn how to ride sports bike? I don't know anyone else who does so I can't really ask anyone for advice. I know there is courses to take which I've been looking at but what other steps are needed before I can confidently and legally ride on streets.

Also, what motorcycles should I be looking at? I know a lot of people might suggest something like a 200 CC Kawasaki, but I've been told those have a hard time at freeway speeds which doesn't sound very appealing. I don't want anything crazy or necessarly new but I also don't want a vespa in racing clothes.

I don't have a fixed budget, but I don't want to spend too much for my first bike. Plus I'm a rather small guy (140-150 lbs depending on the month lol) so that probably comes into consideration.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?

P.S. I do take my safety really seriously. I don't want to hurt myself.

Shlade
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I know Ninja 250's are good bikes for riding around on and sounds like that would be right for you. New are about $5000

Theres a bunch of guys on the forum who know the right stuff about riding. Im sure they'll chime into this thread and help you out!

Good luck with your search!

BrknFngrs
09-30-2010, 12:01 PM
I'd recommend that you book a course before you purchase a bike. If you go somewhere like Too Cool you will have the opportunity to ride all kinds of bikes and decide if a sportbike is really for you. After the course you'll also have a good idea of how comfortable on a bike you are which will help you decide if you should start with a 250 or if a 600cc is reasonable for ya.

GQBalla
09-30-2010, 12:20 PM
take the course
go into a dealership and sit on all the bikes, see which one you like and fit.
ride within your limit

bjstare
09-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
take the course
go into a dealership and sit on all the bikes, see which one you like and fit.
then walk right back out of the dealership and buy said bike off kijiji (thus letting some other sucker eat the insane depreciation on sport bikes)
ride within your limit

fixed.

ercchry
09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
you can always do what i did :rofl:

i got offered my bike for a straight trade for my old car... it was a good deal so i took it.

i had never rode a day in my life. got a buddy who has to test ride it for me. got a couple pointers on how to use the controls... rode around the block, then the next day i went with another buddy to a parking lot... learned the basics of riding the thing... then off i went!

the bike is really tame if you keep the rpm down... but if you wind it up... holy shit!

aqure591
09-30-2010, 12:53 PM
I got my license through Alberta Safety Council. They have a great program. Here are all the details you need http://www.safetycouncil.ab.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=25

bjstare
09-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by aqure591
I got my license through Alberta Safety Council. They have a great problem. Here are all the details you need http://www.safetycouncil.ab.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=25

....yeah, if they have a great problem, I wouldn't go with them.

:rofl:

GQBalla
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

fixed.

LOL i was one of those idiots

4 grand lost later, i bought myself a used one ahahah

meh lesson learned

oh also don't ride with anyone that rides like they are running from the devil.

youll almost 100 percent feel that you have to keep up.

RIDE WITHIN YOUR LIMIT.

aqure591
09-30-2010, 01:01 PM
fixed lol :)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cjblair
[B]

....yeah, if they have a great problem, I wouldn't go with them.

Cos
09-30-2010, 01:05 PM
The wifes ninja 250 is a lot of fun. Hard to get up past 140 but technically you never need to go that fast.

dj_patm
09-30-2010, 01:12 PM
How about the weight thing? Plus is there something in between 250 - 600cc?

ercchry
09-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm

weight isn't a big deal... girls weight less and ride bikes in that size range... a bigger concern might be height...

and you can also get a 500cc bike... over the history of bikes they made a bunch of weird displacement bikes between 250 and 600

dj_patm
09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Height wise i'm as average as they come. 5'10

Cos
09-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Ninja 500s can go for cheap, although are not the best looking bikes ever. They ride nice and are easy to fix. Someone was selling one on here a while ago.

Same with a Suzuki GS500. Both ugly but great bikes to ride.

civic_stylez
09-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Ninja 500s can go for cheap, although are not the best looking bikes ever. They ride nice and are easy to fix. Someone was selling one on here a while ago.

Same with a Suzuki GS500. Both ugly but great bikes to ride.

I second this.. 500 is a wicked bike to start with. Once you get the hang of riding it wont feel rediculously under powered. Id love a 500 touring bike just to putz around on. My 600's are not all that comfortable.

japan_us
09-30-2010, 04:12 PM
I would recommend taking the course. Learning from friends can be beneficial, but sometimes they miss out on important details. Develop a good base, then go riding with the right people. Never ride with those who try to push you beyond your limits.

By taking the course you might discover that you want something other than a sportbike. Pray that you do like something else, otherwise insurance will be a nightmare when you're young (which it looks like you are).

Buy the bike that you feel most comfortable on. Reviews can be helpful, but beware the performance charts; they're of no use to the average street rider.

As others have said, buy used. It might save you some on insurance, but there's also the fact that you will likely drop your first bike at some point. As well, your preference on bikes will likely change, so flipping them is easier when you don't take a big depreciation hit. (I'll be on my 4th bike in 2 years at some point this winter.)

Buy the proper gear, and more importantly, wear it! Lots of riders have the proper gear, but you'd be surprised how often they actually wear it. I'm guilty of this, but I'm getting better. You're better off getting used to wearing all of it from the get-go, rather than trying to unlearn a bad habit.

bignerd
09-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Buy a used or slightly crashed bike, guaranteed you will drop it or lay it down in your first year and the plastic fairings cost a fortune to replace and almost always crack even in a minor incident.

Yes weight is an issue, I am female and a 600cc bike is heavy for me-fine height wise, but heavy if they get leaned over to one side too far(like if you are moving the bike or whatever, not actually riding and leaning over), basically I am sol if that happens.

Aprillia makes a 250CC sport bike that is nice, and very light, but it is big bucks... Ninja 500 is the next smallest before you are into a full fledged 600.

Surprised no one has mentioned it... Too Cool Motorcycle school. Great teachers, great time. They have small sportbikes to learn on as well. Sign up early, classes fill quickly at any of the courses.

Unknown303
10-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by dj_patm

I have a 500cc Buell. I'd say it's decent for a starter bike as that's why I picked it up for my fiance. Might be for sale in the spring too.

japan_us
10-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by bignerd

Aprillia makes a 250CC sport bike that is nice, and very light, but it is big bucks...

I don't think Aprilia has made a 250cc sport bike since the early 2000s. Their new "small" bike is the RS125. I've heard this little 2 stroke is a headache to maintain though.

mycroftxxx
10-01-2010, 12:59 PM
interesting, I was looking to buy a cheap used bike to learn on as well. Something where I wont bat an eye if I screw up and drop it.

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

found this in depth guide on buying a bike.

Abeo
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by japan_us

I don't think Aprilia has made a 250cc sport bike since the early 2000s. Their new "small" bike is the RS125. I've heard this little 2 stroke is a headache to maintain though.

I thought the RS125 was a track-only bike? I know in Ab you can convert pretty much anything for the street, but a high-strung 125 is only good for teaching how to ride fast on a track and change pistons, not that great for the street imo

Quickstrike
10-01-2010, 05:37 PM
600cc sport bikes from the 90's should be fine for a first time rider.

I started on a '92 Honda CBR600F2.

The ergonomics aren't nearly as extreme as todays super-sports, and the low-end power is seriously lacking [ie. you won't get into trouble unless you rev the hell out of them].

shutterbug_art8
10-01-2010, 06:38 PM
^^ Agreed what he said.

Inline engines wont tend to surprise you as they have no power unless revved.

japan_us
10-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

I thought the RS125 was a track-only bike? I know in Ab you can convert pretty much anything for the street, but a high-strung 125 is only good for teaching how to ride fast on a track and change pistons, not that great for the street imo

They do have street legal kits for the bike, but I'm not sure if they have them for Canada. I agree though; it's more of a track bike.

Graham_A_M
10-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by japan_us

Its more maintenance then lets say a Ninja 250, but it would spank one all day at the track. Which is quite impressive for a bike with half the displacement. :drool: Replacing pistons all the time? no... LOL.... it will happen, but not nearly as frequently as what you guys seem to think.
I'd *LOVE* to get one. If I didn't have my Triumph I'd have one of these just because I could take it on track days at the kart track, and get 80 mpg the whole time when not racing it. (insurance would be peanuts too)
Despite it being a 125, its not at all grossly underpowered like a CBR125. I've heard of guys doing 160+ on them surprisingly enough.
Unfortunately all that added performance does come at a price; abiet more maintenance.
Their in an interesting class of their own. Not *IDIOTICALLY* high maintenance like a Honda RS125 or a Yamaha TZ125 (hardcore purpose built/*absolutely* no compromise 2stroke race bikes)
but they still offer a very well sorted frame and a decent engine that can still knock almost all 125's out of the water.

Yeah their a bit tricky to make street legal due to a long complicated string of legalities. However you can buy the street legal kit at Blackfoot, as they have sold street ready RS125's before.
(its the same bike Megan Fox rode on in Transformers 3, during the whole College talk scene)

Yamaha also made their version of the CBR125, called the YZF-R125. Unfortunately we dont get to see it in North America, which is a crying shame as it'll spank a CBR125 all day long, although as awesome of a bike as it is, it still wont touch the Aprilia (R125 = 4 stroke, RS 125 = 2 stroke). Price was to be around $4k cad for one.

Originally posted by shutterbug_art8
Inline engines wont tend to surprise you as they have no power unless revved.
Really? you should take my bike for a rip (Triumph Daytona 675) It pulls like a freight train from idle on up. The low end-mid range power it has on tap is surreal, yet its an inline triple. I think what you really mean to say is; a Japanese inline 4 600 will have no power until at least 8k rpms, and only then will it be somewhat exciting to ride. :dunno: