PDA

View Full Version : Basement Mold....?

cidley69
09-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Does anyone on here have direct experience with basement mold?

Earlier this summer I had a problem with a downspout, it was leaking the water directly next to the corner of the house instead of directing it several feet away.

I fixed the problem, but it was too late. My basement is finished drywall, and in the very corner of the house a mold spot about 6 inches round formed. We washed it off with bleach, and about 2 weeks later it came back.

My question is this: with the source fixed, is there anything I can do short of removing the drywall to fix this problem?

If I put a space heater in the room for a few days, and kept the temp in there very high is there any chance I can cook out the mold?

I really want to avoid doing drywall work if there is anything else that might work.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, especially anything more than "remove all the drywall and start again."

Thanks!

:confused:

lison
09-30-2010, 07:54 PM
My drywall in the basement is also "infected". I was told to just leave it and it'll be fine.

derpderp
09-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Personally I wouldn't leave it, you may not have to do that much work, just cut out the area you found the mold and continue to remove dry wall until you can't find anymore then just replace that area, we had to do it at my parents place after a flood. Mold is one of those things you can really end up regretting not fixing because if it gets bad enough the spoors can travel through the air in house and infect the whole foundation.

Short of removing drywall I'd at least drop some money on a dehumidifier that is designed to turn on at a certain humidity level, that way you can control the growth to a level that would stop it from growing much, nothing short of removal will get rid of it though.

1slw4dr
09-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by derpderp
Personally I wouldn't leave it, you may not have to do that much work, just cut out the area you found the mold and continue to remove dry wall until you can't find anymore then just replace that area, we had to do it at my parents place after a flood. Mold is one of those things you can really end up regretting not fixing because if it gets bad enough the spoors can travel through the air in house and infect the whole foundation.

I agree get rid of it now before it becomes more of a problem later. Last thing you wanna do is start breathing that shit in.:barf:

Tik-Tok
09-30-2010, 08:29 PM
If the water problem is truly fixed, then a heater should kill the mold. Another solution is just just drill a smaller hole (1/2"), and direct heat into it through there as well. It's just feeding off the existing moisture now, so if there isn't anymore, you should be ok when it all dries up.

autosm
09-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Cut all the drywall out its going to be worse behind it. I would take out at least 4 feet x 4 feet as the whole thing could be full of mold. It will not go away once its starts it feeds on the paper in the drywall.

It can cause some nasty health problems.

mikelee1
10-06-2010, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by derpderp

I AGREE as well

By The Way Great Easy Fix's PEOPLE think about your kids, pet, other people living and health,well being of your self.......

Being cheap is one thing but i wont risk someone ales health for few dollars and few hours of my time to get that little thing fixed. before it gets any worst:banghead:

BokCh0y
10-06-2010, 03:45 PM
We had a similar problem in our basement. I didn't a the time how bad it was...but i did notice that my family was getting sick every 2-3 weeks with no explanation. Allergies were ridiculous too.

I'd for sure rip that corner apart carefully and re-do it. not worh the health problems in the long term.

Mine damage wise and mold wise....was also just a corner.

lison
10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
My mold has been sitting there for like... half a year now LOL
It didn't spread or anything, the wall is just mush...