PDA

View Full Version : Twisties outside of Calgary

msommers
09-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Saturday is supposed to be nice and I wanna get a nice drive in before the weather turns shit. Did 1A a couple weekends ago had a few options lined up but wanted to get opinions on experience and road quality.

All starting from COP:

--> Bragg Creek via highway 1 --> 762 S. --> 549 --> home

or

--> highway 1 to 40 S. (Kananaskis Trail) --> Longview --> home

or

--> highway 1 to 40 S. (Kananaskis Trail) --> 68 --> 66 (Powerderface Trail) --> Bragg Creek --> open-ended

Folks are welcome to join but I was gonna find a decent photo spot somewhere and take shots for awhile.

Graham_A_M
09-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Go to Turner Valley, at the main 4 way stop head straight west, and follow the signs to "Blue Rock Campground".
Its about 20kms out, but there are some great turns there, and some incredible spots to take pics. (I ended up making a few pics I took from there into picture frames)
The turns aren't anything like Highway 1a, but its still a fun drive, and into some incredibly beautiful country side. (Go to the end, well into K-country)
The unfortunate part is that its only a dead end, and you have to come out the same way..... but thats just about it for GOOD places to do both around Calgary at least.
Also, if you wanted to spend the night; Blue Rock Campground is just awesome. BIG lots, a river runs close by, very secluded.... its a real gem. Lots of good hiking close by, and like I say just some wicked scenery.
We had many good nights there with friends.... just an awesome place, a fairly well kept local secret really.
:thumbsup:

Gibson
09-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Highway 68 is actually a gravel road, but I sincerely wish it wasn't.

msommers
09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Graham, that one is a paved road I assume eh?

That is sad news Gibson...looked sweet on google map!

ercchry
09-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by msommers

All starting from COP:

--> Bragg Creek via highway 1 --> 762 S. --> 549 --> home

from the 549 get back onto 22 and turn on township 214>rr22a>22x

like so

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Millarville,+Alberta&daddr=50.8414221,-114.1769218+to:Spruce+Meadows+Trail+SE+E%2FAB-22X+E&geocode=Fd9pBgMd7JQv-SmrNIgGOaZxUzEDBBQqLH0_3Q%3BFU7HBwMdZ8wx-SnT5p6goApxUzHPMgM9l4w3Hg%3BFZSNCAMdalsy-Q&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&sll=50.82214,-114.23127&sspn=0.229901,0.617294&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11

at least i think that is the route from that direction... i normally start at 22x and end up in okotoks

CUG
10-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
just an awesome place, a fairly well kept local secret really.
:thumbsup: I'll go if you go... where's Cos? Those guys are down for a ride they said..

Phenix
10-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Go to Turner Valley, at the main 4 way stop head straight west, and follow the signs to "Blue Rock Campground".
Its about 20kms out, but there are some great turns there, and some incredible spots to take pics. (I ended up making a few pics I took from there into picture frames)
The turns aren't anything like Highway 1a, but its still a fun drive, and into some incredibly beautiful country side. (Go to the end, well into K-country)
The unfortunate part is that its only a dead end, and you have to come out the same way..... but thats just about it for GOOD places to do both around Calgary at least.
Also, if you wanted to spend the night; Blue Rock Campground is just awesome. BIG lots, a river runs close by, very secluded.... its a real gem. Lots of good hiking close by, and like I say just some wicked scenery.
We had many good nights there with friends.... just an awesome place, a fairly well kept local secret really.
:thumbsup:

The roads out to Blue rock suck. there are tons of pot holes and are pretty rough. it's mostly the last section when you start getting into the good turns and more into the mountains where the roads starts to turn bad. also the cattle guards can be pretty nasty in some spots but yes the area is really nice

A|pine
10-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Highway 40 is beautiful. Just rode it (longview) on the bike. Just watch out for cows / turds and wildlife!

It isn't too twisty, couple areas are but I feel that the 1A near the end is the most fun. With respect to road quality, it's pretty good. There was a pack of bikes screaming through there when I went with my buddy.

Phenix
10-01-2010, 04:15 PM
they must have done some repairs. i haven't been out there since the spring

Graham_A_M
10-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Phenix

The roads out to Blue rock suck. there are tons of pot holes and are pretty rough. it's mostly the last section when you start getting into the good turns and more into the mountains where the roads starts to turn bad. also the cattle guards can be pretty nasty in some spots but yes the area is really nice

You're absolutely right, they do ONCE you get into K-county. Until then they're fantastic.

Im down for a ride CUG, but Im in vicious need of a rear tire... its getting on par with the wear bars.

And yes to answer the OP's question; yes they're paved. Once you get into K country you really have to slow down, as its not so much a of a REALLY nice road with some decent curves at that point but instead its a lot more of a photographers dream. Yes there are definitely pot holes, but in my bike or my Z4, I always found it to be well worth it just for the scenery.

Supa Dexta
10-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Bah, I finally just got a new one put on, I had canvas hanging out of it in several spots.

Also, watch some of those roads out to the west of bragg/turner valley.. As they have cows at large, and they like to shit in the corners, or go to sleep on the pavement.

codetrap
10-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I'll go if you go... where's Cos? Those guys are down for a ride they said..

If you get a hold of COS for a ride, tell him to call me out too. I'm down for one this weekend.

Cos
10-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I'll go if you go... where's Cos? Those guys are down for a ride they said..

The wife and I should be down. We could do Sunday after 3. Or if you guys are going today let me know. Gotta help my cousin with his oil on his truck but can do that whenever.

speedog
10-02-2010, 09:51 AM
What kind of shape is highway 734 from Highway 1A to Waiparous in? This used to be fairly good pavement years ago and the Google Maps car viewpoint still shows pavement on there.

DonJuan
10-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I hope the cops that monitor this forum dont read this.

msommers
10-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Cleaned and waxed up the car, looks good!

Decided to head to Bragg Creek and take the 762/549 to Millarville, see what time it is and then maybe head back to 1A via highway 40 from Longview.

Probably leaving town around 2ish, short notice, but if you'd like to come just call and I can meet ya at the Petro outside of town or something.

880-1010

Matt

CUG
10-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

If you get a hold of COS for a ride, tell him to call me out too. I'm down for one this weekend.

Originally posted by Cos

The wife and I should be down. We could do Sunday after 3. Or if you guys are going today let me know. Gotta help my cousin with his oil on his truck but can do that whenever.

I'm down for Sunday. Boiling in homework today. Afternoon is better for me.

msommers
10-02-2010, 07:22 PM
More bikes than cars out there today and got stuck behind slow pokes in the great corners. Ah well, still a nice way to spend the afternoon!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Im heading out tomorrow with a few friends for a nice cruise. Should be a fun way to round out the summer.

Graham_A_M
10-02-2010, 11:13 PM
So where do you guys want to meet? and where are we going? the Blue rock road?

I took my bike out for a good rip today, and I think perhaps I have a fubar'ed bearing in the front axle. I need to figure out what that crunching sensation is coming from, and why I have this odd screeching sound from the front end when I wheel the bike around... I think its the result of a shit-beat chain perhaps, in conjunction to something else but :dunno: if its nothing major Im good to go. :)

codetrap
10-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by CUG

I'm down for Sunday. Boiling in homework today. Afternoon is better for me.

I got a sitter lined up for this afternoon so I can take the wife out for an easy ride. I was thinking a nice slow pop out to canmore on the 1A.

She's super noon yet, just finished the course a couple of weeks ago.