PDA

View Full Version : Blew my battery out and bulbs?

Zigo
09-30-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm guessing my regulator/rectifier is shot? ughhhh.

japan_us
09-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Newer model Gixxer? I would say that's the case, as the same thing happened to me.

I would just upgrade the unit and wires. Some have had success by relocating it somewhere a bit cooler, but the stock R/R is garbage to begin with.

Pollywog
09-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Hey Zigo, if you're looking for a new battery and some bulbs you should give me a shout tomorrow and I'll try to cut you a good deal. Unfortunately I can't help you out with the regulator/rectifier as I'm mainly auto-based, not moto.

4032797705, ask for Paul and mention you're "Zigo" from beyond.

Zigo
10-01-2010, 06:50 AM
^ I got my lowbeams, and battery. Just need the highbeam and the rectifier. Yea it's a 2006. How do you mean upgrade? I heard anything 06 + 600/750/1000 will fit.

japan_us
10-01-2010, 09:24 AM
^ I wouldn't install your new bulb and battery until you've fixed whatever charging problem(s) you're having. You'll just lose another bulb, and possibly fry the battery again.

If you're looking to fix this yourself, grab a multimeter and a service manual. You should be able to diagnose the problem, but it may take a while. Check your fuse too.

If it's the R/R, which is likely, I believe units from 08+ are upgrades, although they might not be a direct bolt on, meaning you'll have to tinker with fitting it on the bike.

I went with the FH012 unit from a newer model R1. Probably the best mass produced R/R. Long story short, it runs cooler than the OEM unit, therefore, isn't as likely to crap out. I also went with new wiring from the stator to R/R, as well as a direct R/R to battery connection. Now, the bike runs great, even on track which is where my stock unit decided to kill itself, destroying my battery in the process.

Zigo
10-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Yea... Put the battery and highbeam in without thinking it was the rectifier, battery is still fine but it blew out the highbeam as soon as I turned it on.(Watched 18 bucks go poof). It's def the rectifier, i'll be ordering one soon. Looks like Im out for the season :(

did this yesterday when I thought it was just a bad battery and my bulbs just went out,

Supa Dexta
10-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Check the fluid levels in the battery too, they can boil them dry depending on how long it was overcharging..

Also check your brake light, they usually go too. Fuses are usually alright. Throw the multimeter on it at idle and see what you get, likely 17+ volts/ check it when you put the new one on, and rev it up some.

Zigo
10-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Replaced the rectifier today, now I have Error code C46(Set valve). All my lights and everything else work. Drove it to a dinner today and when I was leaving it did not idle. I'm thinking my set valve is stuck in a closed position either because the servo is fried, or I do not have enough juice coming from the battery.. I'm thinking its fried.

If it is, I'm removing it and cutting the wire thats giving me the FI warning.