PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle tax in BC?

old&slow
10-01-2010, 07:58 PM
So if an Albertan buys a vehicle in BC these days(HST) does he now have to pay the full tax?

bjstare
10-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Not unless that Albertan is planning on registering the car in BC. If you plan on bringing it back here (AB) to be registered, no need to pay HST.

Note: I assume you're talking about a used vehicle purchased in a private sale.

old&slow
10-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Note: I assume you're talking about a used vehicle purchased in a private sale.

Nope, a new vehicle at a dealer...does the full amount of HST apply or just the 5% gst?

Wrinkly
10-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I did this last year with a new vehicle - you have to pay the Government Sanctioned Theft - no escaping that. But so long as you have the NVIS and bring that to the registry here in Alberta, you won't have to pay BC Taxes. I got an "In Transit Permit" from the registry here, flew to BC and drove home.

old&slow
10-01-2010, 09:16 PM
^That was before the HST...I'm wondering if it has changed since that?

Wrinkly
10-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Hmmm - good point, but you're non-resident in BC, so you shouldn't have to pay provincial tax. At the very least, you should be able to claim it back...

Edit: spent an age trying to find information on this - but couldn't find anything specific to non-residents purchasing vehicles. You may just have to call them and ask (the dealer should know also - especially if they've sold out of province in the past).

jaysas_63
10-02-2010, 11:58 AM
hey, i just brought a car from BC to AB a few months ago...if its a private sale you wont pay any tax at all, u pay the tax on a car when u register the vehicle, and in your case you will be registering the car in AB, and wont be charged any tax at that point. all you have to do through ICBC is get some sort of permit to drive the car back to alberta, which costs around 40 bux a day IIRC

edit: just read ur next post and saw ur purchasing new from a dealer....id assume you'd be eligible for some sort of rebate f teh dealership charged you the HST

try calling B.C. Ministry of Finance: 1 877 388-4440

97'Scort
10-02-2010, 12:04 PM
If it's not a private sale, you pay HST at the dealership.

Private sale, you pay HST when you register with ICBC.

slinkie
10-02-2010, 12:11 PM
tax??? in bc???? no way

msouther
03-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Instead of doing a new thread, I thought I would revive this from the dead.

So from reading this, I won't pay any sort of taxes when buying my vehicle from BC through a private sale since it will be registered in AB correct?

Also, to get an in transit permit from Alberta before I go I need a bill of sale which I won't obviously have yet and proof of insurance.

I can just get it from the BC registry office or whatever they have there correct?

I would also need to provide proof of insurance to them there before I got it right?

For the out of province inspection, you have to get the paperwork from the AB registry right and then have your mechanic perform it?

I know my mechanic is allowed to do those so maybe he would have the paperwork already.

Thanks for your help!