PDA

View Full Version : Credit rating check?

SRT
10-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I want to go in and see how my credit is doing and all I am getting is pay sites. Why would I pay to check MY credit..or is this mandatory these days?

el-nino
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
equifax will give you 2 options. To pay or not to pay. If you choose not to pay they will send you your credit score in 3-6 weeks via snail mail. If you pay, you get your score immediately.
Either way you choose will not hurt your credit.

SRT
10-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by el-nino
equifax will give you 2 options. To pay or not to pay. If you choose not to pay they will send you your credit score in 3-6 weeks via snail mail. If you pay, you get your score immediately.
Either way you choose will not hurt your credit.

Thanks, its not too urgent so I just grabbed this form from TransUnion.

http://www.transunion.ca/ca/personal/creditreport/consumerdisclosure/mail_en.page

BlackArcher101
10-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Not all of the free mail-in credit reports will actually give you your credit rating/score. So beware in that regard. I know with Equifax, it shows a summary of your accounts & inquiries, but nothing else.

97'Scort
10-01-2010, 11:51 PM
I go to my bank, and they do it for free. Takes no time at all.

Ruggzy_McTuggz
10-02-2010, 01:35 AM
One thing to beware; if you get your credit rating checked x amount of times in a year, it will lower your score. I don't think it is substantial, but I do know that the amount of credit checks you apply for can decrease your credit rating (unless my personal banker was lying to me)

Wrinkly
10-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Enquiries into your OWN credit rating/score do NOT affect it at all - it's only when you apply for credit or loans that your score is affected (usually five points per "hit").

And BlackArcher is correct - you won't see your credit score on the free snail mail versions. You only get that on the online paid option. Quite coincidentally, I got mine recently, and a friend just got his 'freebie' in the mail today. No credit score on his.