PDA

View Full Version : Big thumbs up for Kingsboro Auto Service (old option import bay)

Cos
10-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Had to have some service done on our work trucks and the owner of my company said he knew the guys from this place near Hooters and we should give them a shot. Turns out they took the space Option Import used to have.

The place is owned by the dad (hank), son (paul) and son in law (didnt meet him). Very honest about everything they are going to do and we had a good laugh about what other shops charge for some of this work. They worked on our two work trucks, did a great job and price was fair. I then asked them about a tranny service on my truck. Ford dealers were quoting anywhere from 180+ parts to almost 500. These guys quoted me about 250.00.

So I brought my truck back and hank asked me why I wanted to do the transmission service and diff services at 60,000 km. I told him what ford recommended and he laughed it off. After an hour and a half he called me, said that the tranny could have used it but the diffs and transfer case looked brand new. I went back to pick it up and they charged me just over 225 and he looked at all my other fluids as well as my brakes.

We took the last work truck back for some work right after that. They did 4 trucks in one day for me and was very impressed with the honesty, speed, and price. I would recommend this place to anyone who needs some work done. Not sure the whole scope of what they do but sounds like the do most day work (not sure about clutches and engine swaps etc).

Just thought that would be another good option for people looking for a reputable shop down in the Chinook area.

projekz
10-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Nice to see there is still some honest shops that care more about the customers.

ExtraSlow
10-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Address?

Cos
10-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Sorry:

4674 MacLeod Trail SW

http://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&q=hooters+on+macleod+calgary&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=hooters&hnear=Macleod+Trail+S,+Calgary,+Alberta&ei=tzmqTLqtO42RnweZ0NGrDQ&ved=0CB0QtgMwAA&ll=51.011551,-114.066363&spn=0,0.727158&t=h&z=11&layer=c&cbll=51.011288,-114.066485&panoid=ORpWYtKdWqg3R5TIC8UhqQ&cbp=12,74.82,,0,4.79

nj2Type-S
11-20-2010, 12:15 PM
i'm going to check this place out. i fkking miss option import!

nj2Type-S
11-20-2010, 12:32 PM
i've tried calling them but no answer. their address also shows up in elbow drive. do you have their number???

anschutz_92
11-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by projekz
Nice to see there is still some honest shops that care more about the customers.

QFT. It's pretty hard to find that these days.

Shlade
11-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by projekz

Hard to find nowadays thats for sure.

Glad you had a good experience Cos.

Clever
11-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Dealt with Paul twice now, the first time to patch up a tire and more recent, a auxiliary coolant pump replacement / repair, and I have to agree with the OP, pretty good impression so far. Still miss option though.

Cos
11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
i've tried calling them but no answer. their address also shows up in elbow drive. do you have their number???

#2 on google

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Calgary/Kingsboro-Auto-Service-1975-Ltd/896204.html

Originally posted by Clever
Dealt with Paul twice now, the first time to patch up a tire and more recent, a auxiliary coolant pump replacement / repair, and I have to agree with the OP, pretty good impression so far. Still miss option though.

Yeah they arent exactly a replacement for option but they are better than an average.

nj2Type-S
07-15-2011, 11:41 AM
i booked an appointment with these guys fot a 74k service. i was pleased to know that they had finished under 2hr. when it came to pay the bill, it was only costing me $130. sweet!

wondering why it was so cheap, i asked if they had used synthetic oil. the rdx being turbo'd, i figured they'd have known that synthetic oil must be used. i guess i should've mentioned that but i assumed they would know that.

the result, they'll try to fit my rdx in for a re-oil change for this afternoon. oh, well..back to looking for another decent shop to go to. i hate you, option import, for closing down.

Cos
07-15-2011, 12:42 PM
oh, well..back to looking for another decent shop to go to.

Not that I am defending them but you are pissed because you didnt mention synthetic (not being an acura dealer and all) and are now willing to go elsewhere because of that?

FraserB
07-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Are they going to charge for the oil change they have to do?

You seem happy with everything else, it sounds like it was a mis-communication and an honest mistake.

nj2Type-S
07-15-2011, 01:33 PM
i know i should've specified to use synthetic oil but i thought that they'd know since it's turbo'd. Aside from that miscommunication, they're pretty decent, fast and cheap. I guess i just expected a lot from them thinking they were option import.

Cos, all that said and done, i was just a little irritated since i had an appointment which i was late for due to this miscommunication. Paul had just called and i'm on the way to pick up my car now. if everything else checks out, i might give them another go but i'll make sure they know to use synthetic.

Tik-Tok
07-15-2011, 01:35 PM
i know i should've specified to use synthetic oil but i thought that they'd know since it's turbo'd.

Not many turbo'd cars require synthetic :dunno:

edit to clarify: suggested, but not required

n1zm0
07-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Not many turbo'd cars require synthetic :dunno:

edit to clarify: suggested, but not required

yeah i remember the RDX had this special 'Acura Synthetic' when we had to do o/c on them at the stealership from new, of course everyone bought into it, it was never required iirc.

i went to ask for a quote @ Kingsboro shortly after Option closed, they seemed decent but i got the feeling they did more domestic stuff

nj2Type-S
07-15-2011, 02:21 PM
ok, i feel bad about my girly rant this morning. i saved over $100 going to this shop over the dealership and it seems like everything it's in order. i'll go back again.

Cos
07-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Lol it is okay. I know what you mean when something YOU think is common sense gets screwed up. Remember, in a lot of cases, any monkey can do an oil change. It is how they recover from a screw up that matters.

Like I said I dont care if you like them or not, I am just glad a place I referred took care of you. :thumbsup:

know1edge
07-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
yeah i remember the RDX had this special 'Acura Synthetic' when we had to do o/c on them at the stealership from new, of course everyone bought into it, it was never required iirc.f

I thought Mobil 1 5w30 was the only approved and required oil for the rdx?