PDA

View Full Version : what engine oil to use for 04 rsx-s?

yipb
10-02-2010, 02:35 PM
sorry i dont know how to work the search function

anyways i think i will learn on how to do oil changes and start doing it from now on. except there is one problem, idk what brand and what kinda oil to use.

i've been bringing my car to honda so i know nothing =[

Russo
10-02-2010, 02:51 PM
well use 5W30 mobile1, but do you know if honda used synthetic? if so stick to it, if not use regular

n1zm0
10-02-2010, 03:11 PM
5w30, when in doubt, the oil cap and owners manual will always tell you. mobil 1 is fine.

older k series (before the new TSX) is not a pleasant experience for an oil change on a hot day and an engine that was just running for a while, i have the burn marks to prove it! lol that said try and let the thing cool down a bit before you do it, sometimes i want to punch the engineers at honda who decide to locate oil filters where they do (i.e 2.5L TLs and vigors).

slinkie
10-02-2010, 03:53 PM
i don't think it would hurt to run a bit heavier oil if you're VTECing at every light

tom_9109
10-02-2010, 03:55 PM
I used to run 0w20 in the summer only. . . . .

kvg
10-02-2010, 04:27 PM
motor oil:thumbsup:

Wrinkly
10-02-2010, 05:37 PM
^^ LOL - that was helpful!

Cooked Rice
10-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Your owners manual will tell you everything you need to know.

MGCM
10-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Mobil 1 OR Motul, both are top level motor oil. Also, make sure you use an OEM HONDA oil filter, goto any local honda parts department and for under $10 you will save yourself potential problems down the road. I have heard of several ppl who used non-OEM oil filters and had big problems with them. I personally will only ever use OEM oil filters on any vehicle I own.

yipb
10-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
Mobil 1 OR Motul, both are top level motor oil. Also, make sure you use an OEM HONDA oil filter, goto any local honda parts department and for under $10 you will save yourself potential problems down the road. I have heard of several ppl who used non-OEM oil filters and had big problems with them. I personally will only ever use OEM oil filters on any vehicle I own.

are the brands u mentioned "synthetic"?

and what does synthetic mean :dunno:

projekz
10-02-2010, 10:58 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=synthetic+motor+oil

MGCM
10-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by yipb

are the brands u mentioned "synthetic"?

and what does synthetic mean :dunno:

It seems that you are VERY NEW to automotive, I would suggest attending one of the Wednesday night Chinook mall meets and talk to ppl there about all your questions. You will learn more in an hour talking to ppl at the meet than you will in a week posting back and fourth on here.

To answer your question, yes both have synthetic oil available. Motul is expensive and IMHO Mobil 1 does a good enough job for a daily driver. Motul is what I will be running in any future track cars I have. A friend of mine attended SEMA last year and had a really good talk with all the motor oil companies, he was very impressed with Motul and Mobil 1. They protect better than anything else on the market and their sales staff at SEMA knew exactly what they were talking about.

962 kid
10-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
A friend of mine attended SEMA last year and had a really good talk with all the motor oil companies, he was very impressed with Motul and Mobil 1. They protect better than anything else on the market and their sales staff at SEMA knew exactly what they were talking about.

Just curious, but protect better than anything else based on what?

old&slow
10-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Amsoil 0W-20 + filter = 1 year of hassle free oil change!

Cos
10-03-2010, 01:22 PM
check the bob the oil guy forums for the specific oil brand to use