PDA

View Full Version : Chilly Secret Street Event Sees Large Turnout At Race City

Markham
10-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi guys

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2010/10/chilly-secret-street-event-sees-large-turnout-at-race-city/

Markham

dirtsniffer
10-03-2010, 10:03 AM
143 racers attended a very chilly Secret Street event Friday night. Everything from a Honda minivan to the new factory available 1,100 h.p. Ford Mustang Cobra Jet (#16 of 50) made their appearances. Cars and bikes were lined up out the gates well into the evening, looking to take advantage of what may be the second last event of the year.

Having switched the track preparation compound for the evening, Secret Street management was looking particularly forward to this night of racing.

Rick Francescone, president of the Motorsports Council of Calgary told the Beacon: “We’ve moved away from our old track preparation compound in favour of something a little more useable in colder temperatures. VHT came out with a new product called ‘Lane Choice’, which is supposed to stay sticky down to zero degrees centigrade.”

VHT is a product that is sprayed on the racing surface to aid vehicles in keeping their grip for the first section of the track. Without it, cars and bikes producing higher than average horsepower wouldn’t be able to race with any purpose.

Reports from the racers were positive, many of them coming up to the tower to tell officials that they were happy with the evening’s track preparation, with many of them collecting their well-earned (and brand new) 100 Mile Per Hour Club stickers. The highlight of the night was undoubtedly the single solo pass from a 1940’s Willys Pro-Modified Coupe that was able to put down a low eight second time at over 160mph.

The fun typically ends around Thanksgiving time, due to the fact that the track must turn off its water supply with the city in order to avoid bursting the plumbing in the facility.

“Unfortunately we can’t run the risk of losing the plumbing here. If the pipes blow, this whole thing is over for everyone.” said Rome Awde. “We nearly missed the mark last year, where it dipped down to -16C; it could have been a disaster. It’s not the daytime temperatures we’re worried about, sure, it can hit 15 degrees sometimes, but conversely, we might see -15 during that same 24 hour period – we can’t risk it.”

With the end of the season nearing, the Motorsports Council is making preparations for their Secret Street Year End Party.

“There’s going to be food, booze and bands. We’d like the opportunity to get to know everyone and maybe discuss some planning for 2011. It’s the day after elections, so we’ll either be celebrating a victory at city hall, or drowning out our defeat” a light hearted Francescone added.

The party starts at 6:30PM October 23rd 2010 at the Southwood Community Center. Tickets are $25 and must be purchased ahead of time by calling Lori @ 403-475-1714. Join the Secret Streets Facebook group by searching “Secret Street Calgary” in the search bar.

94boosted
10-04-2010, 10:58 AM
:clap: I was there, I have never seen Race City Secret Street so busy it was crazy. I managed to joing the 100MPH club as well even though I was spinning all the way through 2nd and even a bit in 3rd :banghead: Time for some stickier tires.

Toma
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted
:clap: I was there, I have never seen Race City Secret Street so busy it was crazy. I managed to joing the 100MPH club as well even though I was spinning all the way through 2nd and even a bit in 3rd :banghead: Time for some stickier tires.
What? it was a GREAT turnout, but it sure didnt look like the typical "140" car count ..... the lines were definately shorter IMO.

They moved the lines quicker too, and they never got as long as would be expected.

Maybe this time, 140 cars came to race, and all 140 paid with no one being sneaky sneaky ;)

And yeah, the track was sticky sticky off the line! :thumbsup:

94boosted
10-05-2010, 04:03 PM
At one point the lines went almost all the way back to the entrance booth. I waited about 40minutes for a pass at one point

blackpeople
10-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I have seen the lines lots longer than that before but i usually try to spectate instead of racing. I had fun though. Never thought i would be cutting 1.81 60fts in a fwd car but it was fun. managed and new personal best. I am thinking about going back on friday to get my 11 second slip.:burnout: