PDA

View Full Version : Converting natural gas BBQ to propane

LUDELVR
10-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Has anyone ever done this? I just picked up a natural gas bbq from a relative but need it to use propane. If anyone has done this, please chime in! I want to use this thing this weekend!! :thumbsup:

Kloubek
10-03-2010, 03:49 PM
You can, but you need different burners and connections. Honestly, it is best off just finding the right bbq from the beginning.

C_Dave45
10-03-2010, 04:03 PM
You need a conversion kit. Going from Propane to Nat gas is easy as the orifice just needs to be bigger. But going from Nat to LPG is harder. Don't know if you'll be able to find a kit. Sometimes they're not worth the money. Some manufacturers are upwards of $300 for the kit.

Spoons
10-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
You need a conversion kit. Going from Propane to Nat gas is easy as the orifice just needs to be bigger. But going from Nat to LPG is harder. Don't know if you'll be able to find a kit. Sometimes they're not worth the money. Some manufacturers are upwards of $300 for the kit.

What he said. It isn't worth the money for what it ends up costing and is a pain.

Hence why we have a $5000 deck ornament now because we moved to a place without natural gas while the old place did.

BokCh0y
10-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I was gonna convert mine from propane to natural gas, but was told that after i purchase the conversion kit, i'd have to hire a gas fitter to do the work. Not sure how much truth there is in this, the person yapping to me about this yapped about a gas fitter to ensure all the fittings etc. were installed correctly and not leaking. Obvious there is a risk of explosion. Can't remember how much it was to hire someone to do the conversion for me, but it was pretty pricey. I ended up keeping everything as is.

:dunno:

ExtraSlow
10-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I think you'd need a gas fitter to install the line that comes from your house. You should be able to do the BBQ part yourself.

theken
10-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Legally a fitter has to sign off on the line from house to bbq. I wanna go natural gas but its not as efficient and doesn't get as hot.

nrt_vw
10-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I did the conversion from propane to natural gas a few months ago. Very quick and easy. It can get close to the heat as propane, it all depends on how you drill the orifices. It was about 60 dollars for the kit from home depot and it definitely saves money down the road.

LUDELVR
10-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Well, this sucks ass! Fucking relatives...actually it's my aunts husband who was looking to get rid of a bunch of his shit and was like, "yeah, it's easy to convert this, you just need a kit!" and then sold us his bbq.

Do we have any stores that sell only bbq's here in Calgary? I'll double check the price and then go from there.

legendboy
10-04-2010, 08:27 AM
BBQ Galore should have all the orfices in stock, if you bring the burner in they can probably tell you what you need :dunno:

BokCh0y
10-04-2010, 08:45 AM
You can prolly search online for the manufacturer and see if they offer the conversion kit. I have a Charmglow, even though I purchased it from Home Depot, they don't sell any accessories or anything. I ended up looking online for everything but just kept the propane instead. I have thje line coming outta the house too for Natural Gas, just never used it.

GQBalla
10-04-2010, 08:52 AM
BBQs Galore on edmonton trail.

Natural gas gets really hot, my natural gas bbq could get up to 500 F in 10 minutes.

LUDELVR
10-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Alright, so I went to BBQ's Galore and couldn't find much help, except for another customer! Anyway, so I'm thinking of going the other route now and instead of converting it, how much would it be to get a natural gas line fitted and into the back yard? Worth it or shoud I just try and get rid of this and get a propane one?:dunno: