PDA

View Full Version : HVAC question.

Tik-Tok
10-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I picked up a cheap used shop furnace for my garage, since my old one was,well, really old (circa 1959). I can't find ANY info about the furnace on the net. So two questions...

A) It has a 7" exhaust, my roof has a 4", can I just reduce it down, or should I put in a bigger roof exhaust? (It's 130,000 btu output if that helps)

B) Can I mount this thing sideways? It looks almost exactly like this one. Otherwise it will take up a lot of space, and I'll probably bang my head on it a lot.

http://www.whiskey7.net/images/articles/20070109143515975_1_original.png

Tik-Tok
10-06-2010, 06:21 PM
I ended up buying 7" exhaust stack anyways, just to be on the safe side, but no one can answer the sideways mounting question?

thefarnorth
10-06-2010, 06:40 PM
im doubtfull it can be installed on its side and how big is your garage because the amount of btu you have posted could heat a house.using a incorrrect sized unit can result in poor effinecy caused buy the unit not running threw its full cycle. and for your venting size you would need to refer to the manual. your best bet is to go with something like a reznor compact garage heater and contact a local dealer with the size of your garage to get the proper size.

Tik-Tok
10-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by thefarnorth
im doubtfull it can be installed on its side and how big is your garage because the amount of btu you have posted could heat a house.using a incorrrect sized unit can result in poor effinecy caused buy the unit not running threw its full cycle. and for your venting size you would need to refer to the manual. your best bet is to go with something like a reznor compact garage heater and contact a local dealer with the size of your garage to get the proper size.

No manual, it's a used unit, and I can't find ANY info on the net about it. My garage is 800 sq.ft seperate garage made of concrete blocks, so it's probably not much more than R-8 insulated value. I picked it up for $100, so I don't really care if it's not as efficient as it could be.

I really doubt it can be sidemounted too, I was just hoping someone here was a HVAC tech and could tell me if they've seen these mounted like that before. While looking for other used furnaces (and looking at their online manuals) I saw several of them could be mounted sideways.

thefarnorth
10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
i work at a sheet metal company and have seen lots installed like in picture only certin models would be mounted on its side https://www.rezspec.com/catalog-udas.html

this is what would be proper for your garage. the reason they cannot be turned on there side is due to the burner assembly inside the unit they have to be rideside up and if you placed it on its side you would end up with something very bad happening most likely a fire. also havinga unit that big it will never fire threw all its cycles so it will prolly turn on for a few mins and the room will get up to temp befire it can even finish its cycle then shut off constanly repeated parctial cycle which could cause you to have gas bill that threw the roof and maybe cause unit failure farther down the road.

hope that helps you a bit

legendboy
10-07-2010, 09:41 PM
what size garage is this going in?

Tik-Tok
10-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
what size garage is this going in?

800 sq.ft