PDA

View Full Version : problem with Shaw digital box/remote not working

Guillermo
10-03-2010, 10:21 PM
about every day or 2, our shaw remote stops working, and the only way to get it working again is to unplug power from the cable box and let it reboot... but then it takes like 30 minutes to download the damn program guide.

Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it? or maybe I need a new box or something.

I've tried calling Shaw technical support 4 or 5 times now, but these fuckers don't have enough staff and I usually hang up after waiting on hold for like 20 minutes.

adam c
10-03-2010, 10:29 PM
had the same problem, had to reprogram the remote with a code provided by shaw, it's different than the programming instructions on the back

KK07
10-04-2010, 03:33 PM
That honestly doesn't sound like a remote problem if a powercycle of the cable box fixes it temporarily.

You can try programming the remote as "adam c" said doing this:

1. Press CBL once (right under the red MASTER POWER button near the top right)
2. Press and hold "SETUP" (top left of remote) until "CBL" button on the remote blinks twice
3. Let go of "SETUP" and using the keypad on the remote, put in code 1376
4. "CBL" should blink twice again letting you know that the remote has been programmed

PM me if this doesn't work and you don't want to wait on hold and I'll see what I can do.

Guillermo
10-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by KK07
That honestly doesn't sound like a remote problem if a powercycle of the cable box fixes it temporarily.

You can try programming the remote as "adam c" said doing this:

1. Press CBL once (right under the red MASTER POWER button near the top right)
2. Press and hold "SETUP" (top left of remote) until "CBL" button on the remote blinks twice
3. Let go of "SETUP" and using the keypad on the remote, put in code 1376
4. "CBL" should blink twice again letting you know that the remote has been programmed

PM me if this doesn't work and you don't want to wait on hold and I'll see what I can do.

Hey man, thanks so much for your help! I just reset the remote using your instructions, and it worked perfectly. I'll give it a few days though and see if the problem happens again (it usually only happens once every day or two). I'll let you know if it happens again.

Thanks man, you = :bigpimp:

sputnik
10-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Guillermo
I've tried calling Shaw technical support 4 or 5 times now, but these fuckers don't have enough staff and I usually hang up after waiting on hold for like 20 minutes.

:facepalm:

You can't wait 20 minutes for Shaw support but you are willing to reboot your cable box and wait 30 minutes every day for the guide to reset? Are you an idiot or something?

Shaw also has a callback system where you can leave a message and a phone number and they will call you back in the order that you were waiting in the queue.

Guillermo
10-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

:facepalm:

You can't wait 20 minutes for Shaw support but you are willing to reboot your cable box and wait 30 minutes every day for the guide to reset? Are you an idiot or something?

Shaw also has a callback system where you can leave a message and a phone number and they will call you back in the order that you were waiting in the queue.

The waits are far longer than 20 minutes... I just hang up after that time because, well, I have better things to do than sit on hold with a cable provider.

And I know about the callback system... actually, i've been waiting for about 1.5 hours tonight for this callback.

Shame on Shaw. These fuckers rape the fuck out of us. There's been like an hour long wait every time I go to their little office thing on MacLeod. Boo!

adam c
10-05-2010, 09:29 PM
just use the online system, sign on and leave it there till the tech comes on