PDA

View Full Version : Legality of placing traffic cones on public streets

mazdavirgin
10-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Seeing as we have quite the group of police officers and extraneous well connect folk I figured I would ask here. I was just wondering is it legal for pubs/clubs to block off whole lanes of traffic for taxi pick up zones? Mostly I am wondering since places like Hudson's seem to be completely blocking turning lanes. I mean most nights you can't turn right onto 5th from the right most lane since they have their pylons out marking out some form of a middle of the street parking lot... This seems just a tad insane to me since then you are forcing people to make a illegal turn from the middle lanes? Am I out to lunch?

It's just getting really old driving downtown recently with all the pubs/clubs starting to turn half the streets into pylon-ed out parking lots...

chkolny541
10-04-2010, 02:05 AM
curious as well

arian_ma
10-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I guess they're just trying to protect the drunkasses walking around outside of these bars.

It's easier for a sober person to make a right hand turn from one lane over than a drunk person to stay on the sidewalk sometimes.

lellowrx7
10-04-2010, 09:33 AM
I've even seen this on residential roads. People block off their culdisacs or streets for block partys. Is that legal?

FraserB
10-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
I've even seen this on residential roads. People block off their culdisacs or streets for block partys. Is that legal?

If you have permission from the city you can block lanes off, they will even supply the cones, barricades and place them.

speedog
10-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
I've even seen this on residential roads. People block off their culdisacs or streets for block partys. Is that legal? Yes it is - it's a $25.00 (plus GST) permit from the city (plus an additional $160 if you want barricades provided by the city). We've had an annual Stampede block party 10 years running now and the main organizer walks around asking the permission of everyone in the affected area - not sure if this is needed, but it does make neighbors aware of the event.

ercchry
10-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I guess they're just trying to protect the drunkasses walking around outside of these bars.

It's easier for a sober person to make a right hand turn from one lane over than a drunk person to stay on the sidewalk sometimes.

then the bar is over serving and should be fined

Unknown303
10-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I imagine you probably have to apply for a permit to block off the street or a portion of it.