PDA

View Full Version : California decriminalizes marijuana

Canmorite
10-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Pretty huge step considering this is the united states were talking about here.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/10/04/while-you-were-weekending-california-makes-pot-an-infraction/

Kloubek
10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Fantastic. Hopefully other states (and countries... like Canada!) will see the benefits after this is in effect for a while.

G-ZUS
10-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Fantastic. Hopefully other states (and countries... like Canada!) will see the benefits after this is in effect for a while.

:werd:

JfuckinC
10-04-2010, 11:18 AM
The terminator is taking a step in the right direction, Leading the way for the future of politics!

teknical
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I'll be heading down to Cali in 2 weeks :D

ZenOps
10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Duuuude, that is awesome. Like Gnarly.

Illegal to Decriminalized to Legalization in one month, lets see if its possible.

rage2
10-04-2010, 11:32 AM
I got here Friday and saw a bunch of ppl smoking up walking around. Pretty awesome.

Tik-Tok
10-04-2010, 11:34 AM
This will be useless until the Feds decriminalize it.

Canmorite
10-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I am wondering about how that will work. I don't know enough about state/federal law. Will the federal law supersede the state law? How will the feds enforce this in Cali?

legendboy
10-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Decriminalization is a step in the right direction, however it still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Baby steps I guess

MJ needs to be legalized, controlled and taxed. Like cigs and alcohol imo.

You can imagine how many people are currently in jail in Cali for crimes this bill will make void

Def a step in the right direction :thumbsup:

kertejud2
10-04-2010, 11:39 AM
California has been fucked for years, so a move like this is long overdue to help take the edge off.

rage2
10-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
MJ needs to be legalized, controlled and taxed. Like cigs and alcohol imo.
Proposition 19, to be voted on next month here. :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite

I am wondering about how that will work. I don't know enough about state/federal law. Will the federal law supersede the state law? How will the feds enforce this in Cali?

Basically the state won't arrest you for it, but the Feds can if they want. Obama probably won't make a stink, but I guarantee the next president will be another hard-core right winger who will.

legendboy
10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by rage2

hopefully enough people pull their heads out of their asses !!

rage2
10-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Polls show it's 49% in favor right now, so it'll probably go through.

Modelexis
10-04-2010, 11:43 AM
One small toke for man, one giant haul for mankind.

beyond_ban
10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I doubt the feds are going to run up to you on the street and arrest you for smoking a doob like the local law enforcement would have before it was decriminalized.

Props too Cali for being the first state.

msommers
10-04-2010, 11:50 AM
The US has done something more liberal than Canada. Hell has frozen over. Until Arnie lits up the flame thrower :D

kertejud2
10-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Plebiscites like these (also Prop 8 and Prop 13) are the destroyers of Republic's and must be hurled into the sea.

Pahnda
10-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by msommers
The US has done something more liberal than Canada. Hell has frozen over. Until Arnie lits up the flame thrower :D

Unlikely, Arnold traded it in a long time ago (along with his dignity) when he took the Mr. Freeze role.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/mr-freeze.jpg

But seriously, it's a great move on California's part.

BigMass
10-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Feds only go after major growers and dealers anyway. Even then most major growers are under the guise of “medical marijuana” and the Feds harass more than they act. People were smoking in the streets long before this bill. This bill just makes it a formality, but more often then not cops looked the other way when it came to minor possession. The only time it really became an issue if they made a discovery while you were committing another crime and they had authority to search. Then they might use possession just as another reason to take you in.

Originally posted by msommers
In terms of the law yes, but honestly, when was the last time in Calgary you’ve heard of someone get arrested for no other reason but a joint?

sabad66
10-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Not really a fan of this, mostly because it essentially gets rid of one of prop 19's "selling points". In case you didn't know, arnie is actually against both decriminalization and legalization. I think he did it to take away some of 19's momentum, almost like a lesser of two evils thing

So my opinion:
Good if 19 was not going to pass either way
Shitty if this sways the 1% that are undecided to go against

legendboy
10-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

In terms of the law yes, but honestly, when was the last time in Calgary you’ve heard of someone get arrested for no other reason but a joint?

for me it would be more being an adult with a criminal record :thumbsdow

Zephyr
10-05-2010, 12:20 AM
We needed this, California is doing so bad.. hopefully 19 passes next month and just maybe the tax dollars will help...

D. Dub
10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
We needed this, California is doing so bad.. hopefully 19 passes next month and just maybe the tax dollars will help...

It will create tax dollars -- new farms/ag industries/ag supply chains/retail& of course government control/bureaucracy -- all which will create jobs and pump up the tax base.

revelations
10-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Good on California, maybe Canada will get on board now. :thumbsup:

Next on the list:

http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/myspace-graphics/funny-pictures/cannabis-legalized-New-York.jpg

googe
10-06-2010, 03:38 AM
This law didn't really change anything. Pot has been quasi-legal here for a long time. You're allowed to have a few ounces with nothing more than oral recommendation from a doctor - you don't even need a prescription. They do have marijuana cards but they are totally optional.

There are also "doctor's" offices that you can pay $100 to go into and tell them you have a papercut or a headache or whatever, and they give you a letter and send you on your way.

So, it was impossible to get charged for small possession anyway.

The feds still do raids on dispensaries sometimes though. Basically, cops don't have authority to do much since they are under state law (though they will "help" feds). Supposedly Obama told them they can't raid anymore, but it's still in the news sometimes.

That said, I never notice anyone smoking at all (certain drum circles in SF being exceptions). Unlike in Vancouver, where you can't miss it, it has not really changed people's attitudes. I honestly think there is so much shit going on in this state that no one cares at all.

calgary403
11-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Bump

Vote is tonight. Any predictions on the outcome? I think if prop 19 passes you would see marijuana become legalized in the rest of North America.

Kloubek
11-02-2010, 12:55 PM
It will take time. Generally it is safer for politicians to remain Status Quo. I think that only when the benefits of decriminalization and legalization become apparent will the leaders of other areas take the risk.

My ONLY concern about decriminalization/legalization is that it may encourage people to try it. And anyone who says it isn't a potential gateway drug is fooling themselves. I started with weed before I experimented with all the other drugs. If I never started small, I probably would never have tried anything harder.

I think they are totally pioneering a great thing here though. While decriminalization is a step in the right direction, they will only realize the full benefits by something like 19 getting passed. Revenue streams are very powerful things in politics!

n1zm0
11-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by calgary403
Bump

Vote is tonight. Any predictions on the outcome? I think if prop 19 passes you would see marijuana become legalized in the rest of North America.

more liberal cities yes and probably most cities in CDN, but those die hard war on drugs places in the states will be hard to budge, simply because of the brainwashing that the yankee government has done to its ppl since the early 1900s

kevie88
11-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

My ONLY concern about decriminalization/legalization is that it may encourage people to try it. And anyone who says it isn't a potential gateway drug is fooling themselves. I started with weed before I experimented with all the other drugs. If I never started small, I probably would never have tried anything harder.

Booze was my gateway drug. It's a non-issue.

People like me who are risk takers and experimental types are pretty much going to try everything anyway.

whiskas
11-02-2010, 01:09 PM
If it becomes legalized then you will be businesses forming to service the new market. And with business comes lobbyists, which will then try to push legalization in other states, in the interest of expanding the business' market.

CUG
11-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Each one of those people locked up for minor possession is a taxpayer. I hope it retroacts and lets some people out of prison..

Tik-Tok
11-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Each one of those people locked up for minor possession is a taxpayer. I hope it retroacts and lets some people out of prison..

Not likely. At the time of their incarceration, it was illegal. I'm sure parole hearing will go smoothly for them, but they won't be let out before then.

legendboy
11-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I believe they will ^

Spoons
11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
I always thought it was decriminalized in Canada as well? Or is it still just a misdemeanour?

ZenOps
11-02-2010, 04:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_legalization_in_Canada

As usual it was on the table, but shot down by the US (even threatening to close the border due to "reefer madness" in Canada) and the crown once again (prorogued parliament)

"Cannabis refugees in Canada
There are cases of users of medical marijuana in the United States who, on being persecuted in their own country, have fled across the border to Canada, where they have sought asylum under the United Nations refugee convention.[10] This began occurring in the early part of the 2000s when the U.S. Attorney General, John Ashcroft, ordered a clampdown on the use of medical marijuana in the United States. Some of those who have fled are wanted by the U.S. federal government on charges related to their use of marijuana.

Older proposals

On May 27, 2002, the Liberal Party of Canada introduced a bill that would have decriminalized small amounts of cannabis. Possession of 15 grams or less would have been punishable only with a fine, and those possessing between 15 and 30 grams would be either ticketed or arrested for criminal charges at the officer's discretion. Personal cultivation of up to 7 plants would have also become a summary offence, while the punishment for cultivation in larger amounts would have been more severe. The bill looked likely to pass into law, but it died when Parliament prorogued. The bill's death was largely due to the United States Drug Enforcement Agency, as they had made various threats to Canadian politicians (such as closing the Canadian-American border so as to control the smuggling of cannabis). An identical bill was introduced in November 2004, which also died when the 2006 election was called. After the Conservative victory, the new government did not resurrect this bill.[11]"

autosm
11-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Looks like BC's economy is going to take a hit, less exports to Cali.

Mibz
11-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Current reports show a slight "No" advantage, but that's less than 10% reporting.

kertejud2
11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
In other election news, 4% of Californians have voted YES to both Prop 20 and 27.

Prop 20: Removal of elected officials from redistricting process
Prop 27: Replace redistricting commission with elected officials

Democracy in action folks, how can it not be liked?

97'Scort
11-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2
In other election news, 4% of Californians have voted YES to both Prop 20 and 27.

Prop 20: Removal of elected officials from redistricting process
Prop 27: Replace redistricting commission with elected officials

Democracy in action folks, how can it not be liked?

Sounds like whoever wrote those was sampling some Prop 19, amirite?

ZenOps
11-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Vote is tight, but it looks like it will be no on 19.

Good vid on prop 19:

http://www.kpbs.org/videos/2010/oct/19/4928/#video

Looks like its going to be up to Canada again. I hope the US doesn't try to threaten to close the borders if we try again. Talk about hardball tactics lol, no oil for you!

Spoons
11-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by autosm
Looks like BC's economy is going to take a hit, less exports to Cali.

Why? You realize BC pot is world renowned right? If anything they will me exporting more to Cali. Weed is legal in Amsterdam, BC pot is one of the hot sellers.

I'm confused by your logic. Legalizing weed = less weed smoking? They are going to need more from BC, not less.

slinkie
11-02-2010, 11:00 PM
prop 19 fails...u mad stoners?

cycosis
11-02-2010, 11:01 PM
boooooooooooo

Tik-Tok
11-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

I'm confused by your logic. Legalizing weed = less weed smoking? They are going to need more from BC, not less.

Legalizing weed = legal grow ops, and no need to import from Canada. Since it's still a federal crime to cross the border with marijuana, and the feds will be all over that now (more so than they were already), it'll be easier to just grow in Cali.

ZenOps
11-02-2010, 11:04 PM
BC pot was world renowned when it was Emery pot.

Now that Harper has extradited him to the US, the US now has the ball.

They are probably shaking him down right now for his "kentucky fried" weed growing wisdom.

Massive loss to the BC economy. Much more of a loss than any soccer star moving.

If California legalized, and they have Emery at the helm, it would have been the most amazing coup in history. That Conservatives cannot see this is almost frightening to me. Bush really blindsided a lot of powerful people in Canada during that era.

Mibz
11-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
prop 19 fails...u mad stoners? Less than a 1/5th of the votes are in :P

Not that I think it will pass, we just won't know until tomorrow.

ZenOps
11-02-2010, 11:21 PM
G'night. Maybe the far far west coasters (the richest, most liberal, and final voters on the continent) will turn the tide.

Mibz
11-03-2010, 12:31 AM
39% reporting

No 2,129,145 55%
Yes 1,755,120 45%

derpderp
11-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Californians suck :nut:

drive2009
11-03-2010, 04:31 AM
:facepalm:

drive2009
11-03-2010, 04:41 AM
:whipped:

derpderp
11-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by drive2009

:rofl:

what are you 16? Have you ever tried real Cali bud?.... there's no need for import from BC... it's more like the other way around.... pretty sure if you've ever tried AAA MJ in Cali you'd want to import it here.

The reason it would effect the BC industry is because it would make it easier to grow and sell it from California then it would from BC, giving the California pot market a huge edge on the BC one.

ZenOps
11-03-2010, 06:42 AM

what are you 16? Have you ever tried real Cali bud?.... there's no need for import from BC... it's more like the other way around.... pretty sure if you've ever tried AAA MJ in Cali you'd want to import it here.

Cali bud is allright. But just like their strawberries, they export pure crap outside the borders. Oversized, tasteless for export only crap.

The best Strawberries are supposed to be the size of your little fingernail afterall.

Its like Italians and their coffee, French and their wine. They keep the best stuff for themselves and have special extracheap mass produced and force grown stuff for export. Sort of like the F-35 fighters.

PS: At least with China, when they sell crap, they don't lie about it. If its a Slomy TV, its a Slomy TV =P

calgary403
11-03-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't think it will be legalized anywhere with absolute dipshit Judges like this:

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/11/02/15924531.html

autosm
11-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

Why? You realize BC pot is world renowned right? If anything they will me exporting more to Cali. Weed is legal in Amsterdam, BC pot is one of the hot sellers.

Where did I say less weed smoking?

Don’t really know what you are getting at it will still BE against the law to smuggle it to California. Did you think that it can now be exported to Cali from BC,,,,, LOL?

Now it may bring tax evasion charges to the smugglers something that may be more serious than trafficking?

ZenOps
11-03-2010, 08:31 AM
And on a side note, Goodbye Governator Arhhnold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqep14L2f7k

autosm
11-03-2010, 08:35 AM

:facepalm: For you because I dont think you can read.

:banghead: :dunno: Agreed " no need to import it from BC " thats sorta what I said.

syeve
11-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by slinkie
prop 19 fails...u mad stoners?

Why would I be mad? You mad tho?

Kloubek
11-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Shame 19 didn't pass. Would have been a great model for the rest of North America to follow.

Still, decriminalizing is a good first step, and the benefits should become apparent shortly.

D'z Nutz
11-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
And on a side note, Goodbye Governator Arhhnold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqep14L2f7k

Haha Ahnold smoking green with the incredible hulk? That's bad ass! :D

SJW
11-03-2010, 09:14 AM
It was the only way to save California.

Sugarphreak
11-03-2010, 09:31 AM

kertejud2
11-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I don't see what benefits you are talking about, the industry would essentially be regulated like cigarettes are, but the use would be regulated like booze. Once it is legalized it won't take long for the reports about how it causes lung cancer to surface, then a massive public backlash will start to come against it.

The benefits are that it would save billions on enforcement and incarceration costs, and a regulated industry allows some form of revenue to be gained by the government on what was already a widely used and produced substance.

As for the big corporations taking over, when its illegal its sort of like the mob taking over (think Capone), when its legal I see it going the way of the alcohol industry. Sure the big macro-producers will come out with shitty stuff that's rather cheap, but there will be a "microbrewery" movement as well with artisans just wanting to produce a good product. Right now few people are benefiting in any way, with a legal and regulated system everybody will benefit in some way and the problems they'd have would have been there regardless.

ZenOps
11-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by SJW
It was the only way to save California.

Nope, there is still option B.

Which is - wait for the big earthquake to hit and then bankrupt the federal US insurance companies.

syeve
11-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I don't see what benefits you are talking about, the industry would essentially be regulated like cigarettes are, but the use would be regulated like booze. Once it is legalized it won't take long for the reports about how it causes lung cancer to surface, then a massive public backlash will start to come against it.

Big corporations would gobble up the market right away, then force out the smaller producers.

As it is now there is no red tape and no corporate take over because it is "illegal", probably is more beneficial to the people who use it for recreation and medical purposes as it is now.

Originally posted by kertejud2

The benefits are that it would save billions on enforcement and incarceration costs, and a regulated industry allows some form of revenue to be gained by the government on what was already a widely used and produced substance.

Yah, the point of decriminalizing wasn't to make money off of the sales, it was to ease pressure on the justice system. Something like 60% of court hearings in CA were weed related. Some massive number of inmates are also in jail for possession etc.

syeve
11-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps

Nope, there is still option B.

Which is - wait for the big earthquake to hit and then bankrupt the federal US insurance companies.

uCEeAn6_QJo

Sugarphreak
11-03-2010, 11:02 AM

ZenOps
11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
As for its effects on the drug lords:

NOooooooo!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130840027

134 tonnes of $80 per kilogram marijuanna and noones taking a hit... It just is so wrong on so large a scale.

A good quality peppercorn goes for about $40 a kilo.

Xtrema
11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ZNvL8.png

mx73someday
11-03-2010, 04:03 PM
The people calling themselves government can find ways to tax anything:

http://www.ksrevenue.org/faqs-abcdrugtax.htm

sabad66
11-03-2010, 04:21 PM
LOL that's one of the most interesting things I've read in a while. I wonder how many dealers actually use this and affix a tax stamp to their dime bags :nut: