PDA

View Full Version : part time waiter

timdog
10-05-2010, 10:22 AM
I was thinking of trying to get a part time job as a waiter. i have literally no experience serving. i do however have alot of experience working with people and communicating effectively. I am a relatively successful young professional that works downtown in a corporate setting.

I think I would be a good waiter but certainly do not want to make a full time job out of it. my intentions are to just work 1 or 2 shifts per week to pick up some extra cash and keep me busy.
what do you think my chances are of getting hired somewhere on a very part time basis with no experience? any recommendations of where to apply and how to apply? my resume is very much catered to my career in IT management, which probably doesn't do me much good.
any advice is appreciated.

msommers
10-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Same situation as me, waitor or cook. Curious as well.

Awd-Tsi
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Are you a hot chick? Just walk into different resutaunts and say you're interested in a waiter postition and is there anything available at this time?

timdog
10-05-2010, 11:14 AM
haha. yeah i am not a hot chick. i thought the same thing though, if i was a hot chick it would be simple.

ekguy
10-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Good luck. I'm a guy and it's what I've been doing for the last couple years as money can be decent depending where you work. With no experience and without tits and a vagina your best bet is to start at places like Boston Pizza, Eastside Mario's and crappy places like that.

Took me a couple years to beef up my resume enough in that aspect to get to serve in nice places. Currently I work at a very established golf and country club and at the Grand Theatre downtown at Velvet.

It's a lot of fun and definitely keeps you busy. But hard to get into if you haven't had a couple years experience at least.

jwslam
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
So many people showed up at Denny's with zero relevant experience and got hired. Of course... some of them with zero common sense didn't last very long... while others also with zero common sense stick it out :facepalm:

Your best bet would be for weeknights. sun-thur as they're generally slower.
Weekend mornings are hectic as shit, and weekday mornings... well you need to be a life-er to get those kinda hours.

Open availability is key to getting hired though. Don't walk in expecting to get every mon/tue night for a set number of hours, newbies get thrown whatever. i.e. this week you have mon 5pm-9pm, tue 5pm-11pm and next week you might work tue thur.

slinkie
10-05-2010, 12:52 PM
'slam' username worked at dennys...serious

BrknFngrs
10-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm surprised how many people are saying that experience is needed for serving jobs. I walked in off the street and started at Joey Tomato's; really fun place to work too when I was in university. I'd recommend it but I'm not too sure about their policies regarding minimum shifts anymore.

jwslam
10-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
I'm surprised how many people are saying that experience is needed for serving jobs. I walked in off the street and started at Joey Tomato's; really fun place to work too when I was in university. I'd recommend it but I'm not too sure about their policies regarding minimum shifts anymore.
I've been told Joey's is tits required.
and LOL at slam. I wish there was a "like" button.

heinz256
10-06-2010, 04:02 AM
i remember hearing recently at moxies, they require you to send in a picture of yourself when you submit your application

Type_S1
10-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

I've been told Joey's is tits required.
and LOL at slam. I wish there was a "like" button.

Haha... I dunno about you but I've seen some very flat-chested waitresses at Joeys. :dunno:

Waiter's are the bottom feeder of jobs...I cannot believe people say it requires experience. As long as you look proffesional and don't dress like a slob you should be able to get hired somewhere to carry food around and take orders. Since when in society did you need experience to make minimum wage.

Breaking news....walmart cashiers now need 3months training to scan through items :)

G
10-06-2010, 10:37 AM
What a stupid comment. If you ate anywhere other than McDicks and Wendy's you will know what the difference is between a waiter and a great waiter.

Originally posted by Type_S1

Haha... I dunno about you but I've seen some very flat-chested waitresses at Joeys. :dunno:

Waiter's are the bottom feeder of jobs...I cannot believe people say it requires experience. As long as you look proffesional and don't dress like a slob you should be able to get hired somewhere to carry food around and take orders. Since when in society did you need experience to make minimum wage.

Breaking news....walmart cashiers now need 3months training to scan through items :)

timdog
10-06-2010, 10:54 AM
didnt mean to cause such controversy haha. thanks for the tips.

A790
10-06-2010, 12:08 PM

Wow.

You're right. Anyone can provide exceptional customer service, run multiple tables/orders/requests/etc., and make sure that everything runs as smooth as possible.

Unappreciative people like you are the single biggest pet peeve of mine. I honestly hope that you show some shred of respect to someone who's handling your food and keeping you happy during your next outing.

Type_S1
10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by A790

Wow.

You're right. Anyone can provide exceptional customer service, run multiple tables/orders/requests/etc., and make sure that everything runs as smooth as possible.

Unappreciative people like you are the single biggest pet peeve of mine. I honestly hope that you show some shred of respect to someone who's handling your food and keeping you happy during your next outing.

I have been a waiter before. I thought it was a bottom feeder job. I was a waiter at The Keg for about 6 months until I quit. You make shit money and hope to god you get tips. I didn't say they don't bust their asses off, I know they do, but being a waiter/waitress does not require much skill. I appreciate a good server like crazy when I get one, and tip well, but if they are shit they get nothing.

I don't show anything but respect for someone handling my food. This isn't what I even said about respect. All I said was that it is one of the easiest jobs to aquire and requires next to no skill other then average life skills(be polite, look proffesional, know how to count, and simple memory). :dunno:

Sorry if my comment offended anyone but last time I checked being a waiter isn't the must have job of most individuals and from personal experience they hire pretty much anyone with a half decent attitude and common sense.

Accord_tunerx
10-07-2010, 02:22 AM
UPS i think they are looking for part time walkers

Awd-Tsi
10-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Haters gonna hate
waiters gonna wait

AG_Styles
10-17-2010, 09:14 AM
With no experience, you probably get started as a busser for a few months before becoming a server. Unless you are what society considers to be "absolutely hot". At that point you can just jump the ladder. If you are BOH, then you will definitely start as a dish washer with no previous experience.

Worked in the industry for 4 years. 2 years back, 2 years front. There are different "tiers" of restaurants as you will figure out later on. I only worked in the mid tier with some part time low tier just for shits and giggles. Anything higher was too much stress for me for something i'm not gonna do as a career.

Anyone saying it's easy to get a job as a server or it doesn't take any skill obviously worked low tier or wasn't successful in mid/high tiers. There's a lot of things you have to do right and i've seen a lot of noobs mess up over and over again. Especially on a Friday/Sat night when trying to make some decent coin. Oh, working a busy weekend shift, you will get shit on over and over again by your peers, management, and customers if you aren't on top of your game.

Good thing though is that you end up learning how to deal with many types of people. Management experience too if you are able to go that high. Not to mention life skills such as cooking and cleaning. Depending on the restaurant, you'll meet hot girls working with you as well. Always a plus.

Canucks3322
10-18-2010, 07:02 PM

I have been a waiter before. I thought it was a bottom feeder job. I was a waiter at The Keg for about 6 months until I quit. You make shit money and hope to god you get tips. I didn't say they don't bust their asses off, I know they do, but being a waiter/waitress does not require much skill. I appreciate a good server like crazy when I get one, and tip well, but if they are shit they get nothing.

I don't show anything but respect for someone handling my food. This isn't what I even said about respect. All I said was that it is one of the easiest jobs to aquire and requires next to no skill other then average life skills(be polite, look proffesional, know how to count, and simple memory). :dunno:

Sorry if my comment offended anyone but last time I checked being a waiter isn't the must have job of most individuals and from personal experience they hire pretty much anyone with a half decent attitude and common sense.

Can you guess this guy is a spoiled rich kid who had everything handed to him growing up?...quit after 6 months at the Keg, wonder why? Couldn't handle it? Do you drive by homeless people and throw change at them too?

max_boost
10-18-2010, 08:07 PM

LOL

Cos
10-18-2010, 08:28 PM

I am wondering if the attitude came off in your performance and that is what caused shitty tips. I must say I usually tip quite well and if you serve me and my friends for an hour and a half and we you make your $10.00 an hour plus the $20 or $30 tip we leave, since no server actually reports ALL of their tip income you would almost make more money than me for than hour and a half.

max_boost
10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
As redlyne_mr2 once said, it's called being a "loser". Losers are quitters and will suck at everything and just throw up excuses and reasons to try to defend why they suck. :rofl:

msommers
10-19-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm still interested in weekend work if any one knows of available positions.

BrknFngrs
10-19-2010, 01:48 PM

:facepalm: After the thread about overtime I assumed that you were a tool but I figured I would give you the benefit of the doubt; this thread removes any doubt.