PDA

View Full Version : Beats by Dre Studio Version any reviews?

shadowz
10-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Looking to get myself a pair of Beats by Dre Studio version, anyone had any personal experiences with these or anything in comparison that they could recommend?

http://beatsbydre.com/images/products/3808/product_3808.jpg

Disoblige
10-05-2010, 10:50 PM
I am listening to them right now on my computer.

I love them. They are very comfortable and do not hurt your ears after hours and hours of usage. I use them every day.

I received these as a gift, and I would not go lower than the Studios. Rest are crap IMO, unless you want the Pros which are quite large. What I love about these too is that it comes with its own carrying case which makes it very portable.

One of the downfalls to these is that if you plan of listening to them in public areas (i.e. studying, libraries, train, etc.) and you have the volume at a decent level, everyone around you can hear what you are listening to. I use them at home so it's not issue for me. Test them out and see for yourself. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Also, I baby these and still happened to get a defective set. There is button on the right side that allows you to mute what you are listening to by pressing on it. For some reason, my original pair became stuck and would not play anything unless I gently tap the button. I swapped it out and everything works fine.

IF you are looking for alternatives, I recommend the Shure SRH840 series headphones (Or was it SRH440?). Anyways, they are similarly priced (I think a bit less) and they sound great and look great. They're a little bit bigger though.

shadowz
10-05-2010, 10:58 PM
^

Thanks for your review, I will see if I can try the other set that you had recommended. Has there been a lot of complaints of defective sets?

Disoblige
10-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Not that I know of for the Studios, I think I just received a lemon unfortunately. I know for the Solos, they have an issue with the headphones snapping easily. But those headphones are terrible anyways. Studios FTW.

I just checked and it is the SRH840s I'm talking about, and you'll see them for about $249.99. That's still cheaper than the Studios, but you are paying a bit more for Monster products.

Edit: The Shure headphones have a 2 year exchange warranty, and the Studios only have a 1 year parts and labour.

googe
10-06-2010, 03:26 AM
It's a celebrity branding deal, it's obviously not going to be a quality product. You are paying for marketing and image, not engineering.

Aside from that, you'd have to be a pretty big fool to spend money on headphones (or anything) made by Monster Cable.

shadowz
10-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by googe
It's a celebrity branding deal, it's obviously not going to be a quality product. You are paying for marketing and image, not engineering.

Aside from that, you'd have to be a pretty big fool to spend money on headphones (or anything) made by Monster Cable.

Thanks for the input, would you have any other recommendations? Ive heard of certain Sony models that are very good as well. Looking online I have not seen many headsets that have come close with in depth reviews

mr2mike
10-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Really? Sony? :facepalm:

Maybe check out Sennheiser or a company specifically known for it's audio equipment.

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/275/13

Got a pair of these, not top of the line but I love them. No I don't sport them on the bus but at home they're great for sound.

Maybe a little wide on the physical band holding the two speakers but I paid for sound, not for the looks.

shadowz
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Maybe check out Sennheiser or a company specifically known for it's audio equipment.

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/275/13

Got a pair of these, not top of the line but I love them. No I don't sport them on the bus but at home they're great for sound.

Maybe a little wide on the physical band holding the two speakers but I paid for sound, not for the looks.

Lol once again that is what I have been reading, thanks Im going to see if I can test these Sennheisers

pf0sh0
10-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I just hooked a friend up with the studios. He loves them and says nothing hes tried before can compare!

BerserkerCatSplat
10-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by googe

Bingo. Senns, AKG, Audio-technica, lots of great headphones out there. The Beats line is barely above Skullcandy in terms of quality.

ZMan2k2
10-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I owned a pair of the Studio's for a couple weeks. Nice phones, sound is decent if a little bass heavy. The problem I had was the sound leakage. They were very bad. I planned on using them on airplanes, and I didn't want to annoy everyone around me, so back they went. They were nice, but not what I was looking for.

Ended up going to Axe Music, and trying out a few different headphones. Ended up with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Good bottom end, easy to drive with an iPhone/iPod and clear sound up to uncomfortable levels. Only drawback is the long, coiled cord (6 ft. with a 1 ft. coiled part). Best to go and try them for yourself though. Axe had the Sony's you mentioned, some Sennheiser's, and the Shure's mentioned here as well. Take your listening device of choice and try them out. They didn't mind if I opened the boxes to try them out, just so long as I put stuff back. Spent a good hour there, and I'm happy with my choice.

shadowz
10-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
I owned a pair of the Studio's for a couple weeks. Nice phones, sound is decent if a little bass heavy. The problem I had was the sound leakage. They were very bad. I planned on using them on airplanes, and I didn't want to annoy everyone around me, so back they went. They were nice, but not what I was looking for.

Ended up going to Axe Music, and trying out a few different headphones. Ended up with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Good bottom end, easy to drive with an iPhone/iPod and clear sound up to uncomfortable levels. Only drawback is the long, coiled cord (6 ft. with a 1 ft. coiled part). Best to go and try them for yourself though. Axe had the Sony's you mentioned, some Sennheiser's, and the Shure's mentioned here as well. Take your listening device of choice and try them out. They didn't mind if I opened the boxes to try them out, just so long as I put stuff back. Spent a good hour there, and I'm happy with my choice.

Awesome, thanks so much Im going to head down there tonight!

tictactoe2004
10-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Check these out, fanastic headphones for the price, comes with a carry case and a cable with a mic for iphone use as well. Fantastic sound quality and very comfortable. Not boomy like the beats headphones but the sound quality is awesome.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4571

ZMan2k2
10-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by shadowz

Awesome, thanks so much Im going to head down there tonight!

You're welcome. Have fun.

beyond_ban
10-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
Check these out, fanastic headphones for the price, comes with a carry case and a cable with a mic for iphone use as well. Fantastic sound quality and very comfortable. Not boomy like the beats headphones but the sound quality is awesome.

They look comfy, but also like they would leak a lot of sound.

ZMan2k2
10-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

They are an on-ear design, not around the ear, like the Beats Studio's. As well, I had hoped for a better sound with them. To me, the midrange is a little lacking on them. They sound okay, but seem a little weak when listening to rock music. As well, as mentioned, being an on-ear design, they leak more than an over-ear style.

KISS_ME
10-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Are you guys using iPod/iPhones to drive these headphones?? if so how high volume do you need to crank to in order to get decent volume? the drivers in these headphones are substantially larger then in ear monitors so i imagine the impedance to go up as well. do you guys ever run into problems with the ipod not being able to push out enough power to make these sound good?

theken
10-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I had heard the beats were really good?? Guess not.

bball2
10-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Pretty good review I read a little while ago for those headphones:

http://paulstamatiou.com/review-beats-studio-by-dr-dre-and-monster-noise-canceling-headphones

(noise cancellation ones, not sure if they are all the same).

Personally I really like Sennheiser's:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-212-Lightweight-Semi-Circumaural/dp/B000065BPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286399763&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-Performance-Premiere-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286399772&sr=8-1

I own both and would really recommend them. Sound great / high quality / very comfy, and highly rated on amazon as well.

ZMan2k2
10-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by KISS_ME
Are you guys using iPod/iPhones to drive these headphones?? if so how high volume do you need to crank to in order to get decent volume? the drivers in these headphones are substantially larger then in ear monitors so i imagine the impedance to go up as well. do you guys ever run into problems with the ipod not being able to push out enough power to make these sound good?

When shopping for over-ear headphones to work with an iPod/iPhone, it's best to look for a set with a lower impedance. The Audio-Technica set I own is 32 ohms, which is easily driven by an iPhone to very loud levels. The higher the impedance on the headphone, harder they are to drive. Some require a separate headphone amplifier to get loud volumes from, like the Sennheiser HD 800's. They are 300 ohm, and perform best with a headphone amp.

ZMan2k2
10-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by theken
I had heard the beats were really good?? Guess not.

The Beats are a good headphone, but they do have their weaknesses. I'm not a "Monster Hater", where some believe that if it's Monster, it's crap. I went with the Beats originally after reading a lot of mixed reviews. The biggest problem for me with them, was the leaking of sound. If I had them loud, everyone around me knew it. And using them on a plane, that would just annoy those around me. The sound is really quite pleasant, if a bit bass heavy. But there are equal or better headphones out there for the price as well. I'm quite pleased with my Audio-Technica M50's, and I got them for $140 less than the Beats studio's.

nine5ej1
10-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Sony does have a select few that sound amazing for the price. My Sony choice would be MDR-7506 for less then half the price of the Studio Beats. Sure they look like shit but sound great.

If I were you I'd go and have a listen to a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II. At around $100 less then the Monsters and will blow them out of the water. I have the lesser version (HD25-SP Pro) and I love them.

Audio Technica is always solid, as mentioned before.

MrSector9
10-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Grado's