PDA

View Full Version : POLL: what to do about a possible door dinger/scratcher?

Guillermo
10-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I bought a brand new car last month. On October 1st, someone moved into a condo in my building and is now parking right next to me (the spot had been previously vacant). Since they have moved in, I've gotten two scratches on my otherwise *mint* car. The scratches are on the side of my car, right where their passenger exters and exits the car.

I don't have any proof that they scratched my car, yet the scratches appeared on two different occasions, and it's only at my condo where I'm parked next to another car (my car is isolated the rest of the days, and i park in the back of parking lots, etc.). Also, they drive an old rat of a car, and likely don't even think twice about opening their door into the adjacent car, etc.

I'm wondering if I should try and write them a friendly letter explaining the situation and asking if they could take extra caution around my car, or if I should just continue to let them scratch my car to hell.

Am I being out of line here?

Awd-Tsi
10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
I would ask them to be more carefull

beyond_ban
10-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I would talk to them, i am just not sure how kind i would be. Nothing pisses me off more then when i see someone open their door in a parking lot and let it rest against the car beside them as they climb in or out.

slinkie
10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
doubt they would admit it BUT if it was them i doubt they will be so careless as to do it again once you talk to them.

jwslam
10-06-2010, 10:29 AM
DmQUKtvxHAE

swak
10-06-2010, 10:59 AM
You gotta live with (as neighbors), so be civil about it, but definitely bring it to their attention.

texasnick
10-06-2010, 02:36 PM
If they didn't have the courtesy to leave a note when they scratched your car, I would let them know that I'm not too happy about it.

If they did leave a note, I would be more willing to let it slide.

D'z Nutz
10-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Did you make bets with anyone in your building you refuse to square up with? :dunno:

syritis
10-07-2010, 04:51 AM
brake into their car and remove their door that keeps hitting yours. then leave a note on their windshield that says "i have taken the liberty to ensure the safe keeping of my car's paint job. thanks your for your cooperation"

ZorroAMG
10-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by syritis
brake into their car and remove their door that keeps hitting yours. then leave a note on their windshield that says "i have taken the liberty to ensure the safe keeping of my car's paint job. thanks your for your cooperation"

break.

Kloubek
10-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Spelling = broken. :)

Anyway OP - why NOT say something about it? No need to write a letter. Go right up to their door and speak to them. Be kind and courtious, and you might even admit you're not 100% certain it is them... and you'd just appreciate it if they kept an eye out to make sure they don't scratch the car further.

To me, this is a no-brainer. Yes, your car is going to get scratches over time, but no sense in allowing it to get even worse if you don't have to...

Guillermo
10-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Spelling = broken. :)

Anyway OP - why NOT say something about it? No need to write a letter. Go right up to their door and speak to them. Be kind and courtious, and you might even admit you're not 100% certain it is them... and you'd just appreciate it if they kept an eye out to make sure they don't scratch the car further.

To me, this is a no-brainer. Yes, your car is going to get scratches over time, but no sense in allowing it to get even worse if you don't have to...

I would have talked to them in person, but they just moved in a week ago and I have no clue what unit they're in (there are hundreds in the complex). Anyhow, I tried a note, hopefully that'll work.

ddduke
10-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Let us know how it goes.

Also, what did you write exactly?

AaronK
10-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Just talk to them, let them know that you keep immaculate care of your car and that if it was them you would appreciate it if they are more careful next time.

Spoons
10-07-2010, 04:29 PM
It's going to happen, you could tell them to be a little more careful, but I doubt it will get you anywhere.

Calgary is getting bigger everyday, and with that comes more stupid things like this. Look at down in the states... It's pretty normal to see scuffed front and back bumpers, people just bump to get into stalls. Down in San Diego I watched a woman parallel park and bump into both the front and back car multiple times, and she left as it was no biggy, like wise with passer bys.

canadiandaytona
10-07-2010, 04:41 PM
http://doordefender.com/dis_index.html

made in Canada too

Its going to happen probably an accident

Wrinkly
10-07-2010, 05:43 PM
^^ That looks a really interesting idea...

BUT......I hate web sites that tack on BS fees. They want $7.96 "handling" for EACH one - then another $18.96 shipping for a total of $76.24 for just one side of the vehicle.

$140 total for two.

Guillermo
10-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Let us know how it goes.

Also, what did you write exactly?

This is what I ended up writing. I tried not to be a dick (even though they are the ones who scratched my car), since i'm sure they are good people but just not being careful...

Hello,

I own the grey car that is parked next your car. The car is new, and I just bought it one month ago. During the last week that you have been parking next to me, my car has been scratched two times, on two separate occasions. The scratches are very noticeable, since the paint is in otherwise perfect condition.

I’m not saying that you scratched my car, but could you please be extra cautious when you enter or load your car, and make sure not to open your door into my car, or brush/scratch anything against my car? I would appreciate it very much.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss this matter.

[here i put my name and unit #]

ddduke
10-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Guillermo

This is what I ended up writing. I tried not to be a dick (even though they are the ones who scratched my car), since i'm sure they are good people but just not being careful...

What you wrote seems completely reasonable. Kinda sucks that no matter how nice you are you'll still seem rude (even though they're at fault).

bignerd
10-08-2010, 12:35 AM
I had the same situation happen a ways back. We use to back our car into our spot to make more room between the our car and the "neighors". Eventually we bought another car and due to the arrangement of the garage we could no longer back in and had to park forwards and leave room for us to open our drivers door. The neighbor kept getting in and out of her car the same way she always had even though there was less room, well the back doors on sunfires have these little points on them, which lined up with all these little dents on our car.

I just went and knocked on her door and explained the situation. She was very apologetic and offered to have her boyfriend who worked at some auto body place to fix the dents.

It wasn't that huge of a deal but I certainly didn't want anymore dents, and she was more careful after that.

I think your note was okay, hopefully they just won't be a dick about it and scratch it more.