PDA

View Full Version : $60 brokerage fee? WTF, shipped from Cali

cycosis
10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Anyone else deal with this? I had a lip shipped from Cali which was originally 260 shipped anywhere in the US, 290 shipped to canada. so an extra 30US already and then I had to pay a brokerage fee on top which was almost $60??

What the hell is the extra cost for?

R-Audi
10-06-2010, 12:26 PM
For a "Broker" to clear it through customs for you.

FraserB
10-06-2010, 12:28 PM
For the privilege of getting it in the ass from UPS.

I paid about $90 brokerage on $130 seat covers. Tried to refuse the package at the door but was not allowed to since they told me after I said I was the recipient.

Modelexis
10-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Next time: USPS

Kloubek
10-06-2010, 12:32 PM
You musta used UPS. Several comments on here about them already. Any time they ship up here, you get hit with ridiculous fees. As Modelexis says: USPS ftw.

dj_rice
10-06-2010, 12:36 PM
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

RZRSHARP_SVX
10-06-2010, 12:38 PM
i always pay brokerage on everything i get out of the US. it all depends on the size of the package

Crymson
10-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by RZRSHARP_SVX
i always pay brokerage on everything i get out of the US. it all depends on the size of the package

Price of the package.

As it was stated before. Now you know not to ship through ANYONE but USPS, and if the vendor will not ship through the regular postal service forget it.

benyl
10-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Ship it UPS air and all the fees are included. Usually ends up the same as ground with the fee at the back end... haha

Thaco
10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
welcome to UPS economy

JRSC00LUDE
10-06-2010, 02:07 PM
With no offense to the OP personally, it makes me feel better when I see a newly raped virgin. I don't know....somehow takes away a bit of the pain.....eases the memory of the first time the man in the brown suit had his way with me. :cry:

Welcome home son, you're part of the family now.

heavyD
10-06-2010, 02:36 PM
If there is something I need/want from the US over $200 and the vendor only ships UPS I usually always choose express. It usually ends up cheaper in the long run and as an added bonus you get it faster.:)

911fever
10-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
If there is something I need/want from the US over $200 and the vendor only ships UPS I usually always choose express. It usually ends up cheaper in the long run and as an added bonus you get it faster.:)

very true, I've done that as well

rage2
10-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I ordered an emblem for $100 from a Benz dealership a few weeks ago. UPS charged them $40 to ship it because for some bizarre reason, they put it in a 12x12x12 box with those air cushion things (I'm told thats how all their parts ship out). They choose UPS ground to save me some money. Got dinged $5 for GST, and another $55 for brokerage. $200 for this...

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/109e04c0.jpg

I put a USB thingy on it to give you a size reference haha. FML.

A fedex overnight envelope would've been $30. I hate companies that only use one shipper.

Mitsu3000gt
10-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Air shipping FTW. It's the only thing I use, gets here in 1-2 days, and is almost always cheaper than ground + fees from the USA.

benyl
10-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by rage2

A fedex overnight envelope would've been $30. I hate companies that only use one shipper.

Haha, you got bent.

94boosted
10-06-2010, 04:17 PM
That's nothing a few months ago I ordered some Shifter Bushings which cost a whopping $21USD + $7USD Shipping and then UPS had informed me that I owe an additional $19CDN in Brokerage/COD Fees. :banghead: :whipped:

That was the last time I used UPS.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-06-2010, 04:33 PM
USPS ftw. I bought $1300 in parts and paid $40 in brokerage when it arrived.

Compared to the $300 in brokerage from UPS for $1600 in parts.

texasnick
10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Never thought of that......I'm going to try that next time...cheers:thumbsup:

msommers
10-06-2010, 05:01 PM
UPS ground is notorious for overcharging. I find it the same or cheaper to use UPS expediated and it comes much faster.

I was told by multiple sellers that the box for some sway barts I ordered was passed the dimensional limits of USPS.

DHL is fucking terrible to deal with. Fedex is mediocre.

cycosis
10-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
With no offense to the OP personally, it makes me feel better when I see a newly raped virgin. I don't know....somehow takes away a bit of the pain.....eases the memory of the first time the man in the brown suit had his way with me. :cry:

Welcome home son, you're part of the family now.

Oh thanx, that makes me feel better

Originally posted by rage2
I ordered an emblem for $100 from a Benz dealership a few weeks ago. UPS charged them $40 to ship it because for some bizarre reason, they put it in a 12x12x12 box with those air cushion things (I'm told thats how all their parts ship out). They choose UPS ground to save me some money. Got dinged $5 for GST, and another $55 for brokerage. $200 for this...

But this does:poosie: sry Rage, i ahve a feeling im gonna get fucked on my door pins that are coming in later next week

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Best UPS story. Few weeks ago I ordered a new intake to fit my Z32 MAF. Came out to $205 US shipped with UPS which would take 2-3 business days. It came in just 20 hours to my door with only $2.97 in COD.

asp integra
10-06-2010, 05:33 PM
next time get them to mark the package "GIFT" and you wont have to pay the brokerage fee

msommers
10-06-2010, 05:52 PM
I've always heard rumor of that but I've never had it work for me...

Worst UPS story. S13 JDM turn signals bought from Texas. Numbers were something like $90USD for the lights shipped, UPS charges...55! R32 seats were another raping. It's only ground though, don't know why. I think air they include it something :dunno:

When I ordered a bunch of stuff from B&H, my bill was ~$1300 and UPS charges like $38. Value I don't think changes it a whole lot, somehow. It seems to be how it's classified and where it originated from.

psycoticclown
10-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I've ordered $60 worth of stuff and got $70 worth of brokerage before :whipped:

Tik-Tok
10-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
next time get them to mark the package "GIFT" and you wont have to pay the brokerage fee

Doesn't matter if it's a gift or not, the sender still has to declare a value of the "gift", and if they value it obscenely low (say $100 for a $1000 item), and customs busts them on it, the sender gets into a WHOLE lot of trouble.

black13
10-06-2010, 06:37 PM
yup, we've all been bent one time or another. As been said, FUCK UPS!!!!

Vanner
10-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Yup, you got screwed with UPS for the "brokerage" fees. I don't buy their story how they use that service - it's all BS and I call that fees as "blackmail thief" robbery fees.

My worst UPS tale was when I got a vintage original "Sting Ray" schwinn handlebars for my bike... UPS charged me $40 brokerage fees for a $10 value! Fuck them!

I also once refused one package because UPS shipped to the wrong address which the seller made a mistake - not my fault and not my problems. When I found out by the seller in e-mail message. I told him that I will request a refund for the item since I never disclosed that I want UPS to do the delivery. Got that refund minus shipping cost - it's better that way because I learned UPS would had slapped me for $100+ on brokerage fees! The seller was shocked when I explained UPS love to rape Canadians for high fees.

Now from now on only U.S. postal service shipped to me or nothing! And I've set up my own U.S. shipping address near the border for BIG auto parts to be picked up myself. Save lot of money !

Shit on UPS and DHL - they're the worst of worst! :whipped:

10-07-2010, 07:41 AM
I just ordered some new leaf springs for my jeep from Quadratec in the states - they shipped UPS

$99 usd / spring x 2
$90 usd Shipping for both

C.O.D:............................................. $10.23cad

Not bad in my opinion... as the leafs are large and heavy..

Tomaz
10-07-2010, 08:46 AM
I buy my underwear online now. Since I started, I learned very quickly that UPS really fucks us. 5 pairs of undies $150, Brokerage was $40!!:thumbsdown:

Second time I shipped USPS, $3.00 brokerage! :thumbsup:

Same thing for heavy car parts. Ship USPS!

94boosted
10-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
I buy my underwear online now. Since I started, I learned very quickly that UPS really fucks us. 5 pairs of undies $150, Brokerage was $40!!:thumbsdown:

Second time I shipped USPS, $3.00 brokerage! :thumbsup:

Same thing for heavy car parts. Ship USPS!

Wow $30 a peice undies, nothing but the best ehy Tomaz :rofl:

BigMass
10-07-2010, 01:02 PM
UPS is great but you have to get their Worldwide Saver service. Next business day to Canada and cheaper than ground after you factor in the rape charges

95teetee
10-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
For a "Broker" to clear it through customs for you.
not this.

Originally posted by FraserB
For the privilege of getting it in the ass from UPS.

this.

Tomaz
10-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Wow $30 a piece undies, nothing but the best ehy Tomaz :rofl:

The boxers are AMAZING! Made of bamboo silk( :dunno: ). super soft, stretchy and supporting. Wearing them feels like Eva Longoria holding your dick while Rachel McAdams is softly caressing the balls. As an added bonus, the underwear does not bind around the ass at all, so it has a feeling of Nathalie Kelley grabbing one cheek and Hayden Panettiere the other.

You need to pay to have the feeling of 4 hotties grabbing you at all times.

Totally worth the money. :bigpimp:

msommers
10-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Well damn, where did you pick those up at! But really, do they stay stretchy after being in the dryer? I've had a few where the leg elastics lose any strength after the dryer gets em.

darthVWader
10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
"Brokerage Fee" is charged by a Customs Broker to do all the paperwork involved in importing commercial goods. UPS and others have decided to get in on the lucrative brokerage deal by using in-house customs brokers that they use for commercial shipments and apply those charges to personal goods, also(which are NOT subject to commercial customs brokering, by the way). The Canada Post "handling fee" is the charge Canada Post charges to collect money from you and forward it to CRA.

Tomaz
10-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Well damn, where did you pick those up at! But really, do they stay stretchy after being in the dryer? I've had a few where the leg elastics lose any strength after the dryer gets em.

2 years and counting! Just as stretchy as day 1!

thetransporter
10-07-2010, 09:14 PM
how i avoid UPS brokerage fees

tell seller UPS ground is not accepted in area/location/our company
if that not an option i just ask to ship VIA mail/usps/Canadapost/fedex/dhl/

TE4MFaint
10-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by asp integra

Even if its a gift you still have to pay a brokerage fee.

I never get anything shipped UPS, Fed Ex, or any other jargin from the states anymore, all USPS, then it gets shipped Canada Post, no fee's, no problems.

RickDaTuner
10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
haha I always keep a credit card with like 5-10 bucks in it, you know those prepaid ones.

then when brown comes to the door, thats the card I give them, sure enough it gets declined once they put it in the system. All they do at the door is write down the info for it to be processed later on.

I get my package, and then also a letter or two in the mail a few weeks later demanding that I pay or be sent to collections...

Thats one way to beat UPS brokerage fees.

I think over the last 5 years I've done this about 15-20 times. They keep bringing me my Packages though!:thumbsup:

911fever
10-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
haha I always keep a credit card with like 5-10 bucks in it, you know those prepaid ones.

then when brown comes to the door, thats the card I give them, sure enough it gets declined once they put it in the system. All they do at the door is write down the info for it to be processed later on.

I get my package, and then also a letter or two in the mail a few weeks later demanding that I pay or be sent to collections...

Thats one way to beat UPS brokerage fees.

I think over the last 5 years I've done this about 15-20 times. They keep bringing me my Packages though!:thumbsup:

Don't they write down your name though too? Pretty dirty haha

RickDaTuner
10-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by 911fever

Don't they write down your name though too? Pretty dirty haha

Yeah they take your name and address and everything else. It may seem dirty to some, but what are you supposed to do when the company only ships UPS? Besides I'm sure I have given UPS well over 1k in fees over the past few years when I used to play into their games.

I feel that the fact of the matter is that; they don't really do all that much to enforce their lost revenue, which to me sounds like they just don't care due to all the money they make from other people paying these brokerage fees.

I looked into this a while back, and sure enough there is a private enterprise that clears the package coming over the border, but it is absolutely no different than how USPS does it. Heck they may even be using the same exact broker.

All in all, I can not justify the cost. I would gladly pay if it were pertinent in package border transfer, but it really is just a cash grab. UPS already makes a whole lot of money just delivering the package, as each UPS truck can contain up to 10k in shipping fees per day of delivery.

I guess some one has to pay for their fleet of jets....