PDA

View Full Version : First ticket in 14 years..

ICEBERG
10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Ahhhh.. Caught me going 62 at a 50 Zone. $110 fine. The Last ticket i had was 14 years ago. Streak is broken.:D

Question i have is, the car beside me was going the same speed if not a little faster(he was coming from my left side). But i got pulled over.

I ask the Cop why the guy beside me didn't get one also. He said that i was the leading car so he caught me first.

How does that actually work? He just points the laser at one car even if they are side by side?

Cheers,

beyond_ban
10-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Ya, basically it is up to the cop who he gives the ticket too. If he lasers your car then you're busted.

Sugarphreak
10-06-2010, 04:12 PM

ICEBERG
10-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Ya, basically it is up to the cop who he gives the ticket too. If he lasers your car then you're busted.

Thanks.. I thought so.

kenny
10-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
I ask the Cop why the guy beside me didn't get one also. He said that i was the leading car so he caught me first.

How does that actually work? He just points the laser at one car even if they are side by side?

A few years ago a cop came to one of the meets in the NW and let us play with the laser to check speeds of cars coming down nose hill drive. When we asked who he pulls over, he said its just like fishing. You pull over the biggest fish. So, I'm surprised you were pulled over if the other guy was passing you.

ICEBERG
10-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Hmmmm, only 12km over... that is gay :thumbsdow

This is a good reminder to start watching my speed even when just puttering along at the speed of traffic.

Yeah, only 12 Km over. I thought he would just give me a warning but came back with a ticket. I have no luck with the younger Cops. :D

dexlargo
10-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Ahhhh.. Caught me going 62 at a 50 Zone. $110 fine. Something is not right there - is this actually what your ticket indicates? Because the fine for 12 over is $82. $110 is the fine for 17 over the limit - Are you sure the ticket doesn't say you were going 67? If it actually says your speed is 62 and that the fine is $110, you should fight the ticket. It will likely be thrown out for being defective.

Question i have is, the car beside me was going the same speed if not a little faster(he was coming from my left side). But i got pulled over.

Cheers, Yes. It might not seem fair, but the police can't catch everyone, so the fact that other people were committing an offence and weren't caught is unfortunate, but irrelevant to determining whether or not you were commiting an offence.

ICEBERG
10-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo
Something is not right there - is this actually what your ticket indicates? Because the fine for 12 over is $82. $110 is the fine for 17 over the limit - Are you sure the ticket doesn't say you were going 67? If it actually says your speed is 62 and that the fine is $110, you should fight the ticket. It will likely be thrown out for being defective.

I am looking at the ticket right now.

115 (2) (P) Speeding....

Speed limit 50km/h Recorded speed 62 km/h.. Laser.

Voluntary payment $110...

Do you think he made an error? I usually just pay them. I don't know how much are fines these days?

DayGlow
10-06-2010, 04:44 PM
If the other car was on your left and the cop was on the side of the road you would have been blocking the line of sight to the other car. Basically you were in the wrong spot at the wrong time, or running interference for the other car if you like.

dexlargo
10-06-2010, 05:11 PM

115 (2) (P) Speeding....

Do you think he made an error? I usually just pay them. I don't know how much are fines these days? They haven't changed in a long time. I just double-checked to see if they had been revised recently, and they haven't. You can find all of the speeding fines here. (http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-233-1989/latest/alta-reg-233-1989.html) You'll have to scroll a long way down to Part 28 for the fines for speeding under 115(2)(p). Also, you have to add 15% to the amounts listed (this is the Victim Fine Surcharge, which is included in the amount that is written on your ticket). So 17 over corresponds to $110 on the ticket. $96 + $14 VFS = $110

There's a good chance that they will throw out the ticket since the officer made a mistake - either about the fine amount or the speed measured. Shouldn't matter which.

Toma
10-06-2010, 05:19 PM
They haven't changed in a long time. I just double-checked to see if they had been revised recently, and they haven't. You can find all of the speeding fines here. (http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-233-1989/latest/alta-reg-233-1989.html) You'll have to scroll a long way down to Part 28 for the fines for speeding under 115(2)(p). Also, you have to add 15% to the amounts listed (this is the Victim Fine Surcharge, which is included in the amount that is written on your ticket). So 17 over corresponds to $110 on the ticket. $96 + $14 VFS = $110

There's a good chance that they will throw out the ticket since the officer made a mistake - either about the fine amount or the speed measured. Shouldn't matter which.

Well Iceberg.... since you are never at work anyway... might as well go fight it ;)

ICEBERG
10-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Well Iceberg.... since you are never at work anyway... might as well go fight it ;)

Hey Toma,

You wan't to come with me. You know the ropes by now. You can come and help me. I bet you even know the Judge.:D

revelations
10-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Caught me going 62 at a 50 Zone

Gotta love the boys in traffic giving the rest of the CPS a good name.

D'z Nutz
10-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Haha I had my streak broken about a week ago. My streak was going on for 10 years, 19 days. Fortunately it was in BC, so there's a chance I won't get any demerits for it if they don't report it to Alberta.

InRich
10-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Cops in this city have got me to the point where I'm paying more attention to the speed of my car, then whats actually going on around me, and I think this is just fucking bullshit.

This cash cow shit needs to stop. I wont believe that going over 10 km more per hour causes higher accidents. cops need to find something better to do with their time. like.... solving crimes, taking out drug dealers, patroling our streets for thieves, fucking up gangs etc.

jltabot
10-07-2010, 12:37 AM
just curious, i know if you go in to fight a ticket or get it reduced, they have a table which they go by..

does anyone happen to have this info?

thanks

Redlyne_mr2
10-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Omg 62KMHR!!!!! you're a really danger to society.

Cos
10-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by InRich
Cops in this city have got me to the point where I'm paying more attention to the speed of my car, then whats actually going on around me,

agreed

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

agreed. OP your a dangerous asshat http://i.tfster.com/cache/p1.forumforfree.com/images/smiles/009.gif

theken
10-07-2010, 07:28 AM
I got a 122 on stoney. It was 136 bucks. I got the demerits dropped as I had an emergency. Luckily I had a day of work to go downtown. I had a good streak going too. But since no demerits = no ticket I still will say streak is on.

Kennyredline
10-07-2010, 08:45 AM

115 (2) (P) Speeding....

Do you think he made an error? I usually just pay them. I don't know how much are fines these days?
Did buddy pull YOU over with the other guys' speed on his radar?

yoda124
10-07-2010, 08:56 AM

nazi CPS think people like the OP are more of a danger to society than scammers like Jason Fillion

CPS:thumbsdow

dexlargo
10-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I suspect it was actually 67, and the officer wrote down 62 by mistake. That would explain why the fine is the amount for 17 over. Oh well, the police officer's mistake may be to your benefit. Let us know if they throw the ticket out or not.

GOnSHO
10-07-2010, 09:16 AM
They haven't changed in a long time. I just double-checked to see if they had been revised recently, and they haven't. You can find all of the speeding fines here. (http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-233-1989/latest/alta-reg-233-1989.html) You'll have to scroll a long way down to Part 28 for the fines for speeding under 115(2)(p). Also, you have to add 15% to the amounts listed (this is the Victim Fine Surcharge, which is included in the amount that is written on your ticket). So 17 over corresponds to $110 on the ticket. $96 + $14 VFS = $110

unfortunately, anything under that thick black line does not count towards the offense, so it cannot be thrown out due to something being "wrong"

gretz
10-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

Did buddy pull YOU over with the other guys' speed on his radar?

It doesn't matter if the cop made up the speed... they can still give you a ticket...

cop "you were doing 118 in an 80 zone"
you "I just pulled out and hadn't even reached the speed limit yet"
cop "take it to court, thats what its for"

pretty much goes like that lol...

Royle9
10-07-2010, 09:56 AM
I got my first ticket ever (7 years) 2 weeks ago heading west on Crowchild between Northland Mall/Crowfoot LRT. Was sort of the same situation except there was a car infont of me in the same lane (middle) that was about 4 lengths ahead doing the exact same speed.

I have a radar detector that has gone off every previous time I've been zapped by the different traps, however nothing went off and I figured because I was behind someone I was safe.

Unfortunately he pulls me over, proceeds to my window to tell me "I bet you didn't pick me up on that thing eh?" says he clocked me doing 108 in an 80, takes my license and comes back with a ticket for $72.00 and says he's just going to charge me for doing 90 in an 80.
:banghead:

bastardchild
10-07-2010, 10:05 AM

No shit, slow the F down! +1 CPS again.

ICEBERG
10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I suspect it was actually 67, and the officer wrote down 62 by mistake. That would explain why the fine is the amount for 17 over. Oh well, the police officer's mistake may be to your benefit. Let us know if they throw the ticket out or not.

It could be dexlargo, i will go and see what happens. I don't mind paying the fine long as they drop the demerits.

His hand writing was pretty $hitty. I swear, it took him 2 minutes to write the ticket and he was at his radar gun pulling someone else over before i even left. My wife was with me, she even said they must be behind their quotas..:D

Ohh well...

cheers,

dexlargo
10-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by GOnSHO

unfortunately, anything under that thick black line does not count towards the offense, so it cannot be thrown out due to something being "wrong" That's true, but there's also an incorrect fine amount printed on the ticket. It might be resolved simply by lowering the fine amount to the correct amount for 12 km/hr over, or the prosecutor could just pitch it. I had a ticket thrown out once for this exact reason, I didn't ask for it to be thrown out, but when I pointed out to the prosecutor that the fine was wrong and should be lowered, he confirmed the error and said he'd just withdraw the ticket. I have no idea if every prosecutor would do that, I just know that one did.

Toma
10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
This is worth a repeat....

Less rules, better drivers, less traffic.

It like this all over europe, and some place in the US.

Let people DRIVE!
vi0meiActlU

nich148_9
10-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by InRich
Cops in this city have got me to the point where I'm paying more attention to the speed of my car, then whats actually going on around me, and I think this is just fucking bullshit.

bvtvfSJi2fg

EDIT: Crap, wrong clip. Can't find the average speed camera clip, miming people in wheelchairs being run over.