PDA

View Full Version : Siberian Husky Breeders?

b.mm.3wgirl
10-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Hey guys and gals!
I have always wanted a siberian husky and I have finally got the family thumbs up approval in order to go forth. I've looked around a few sites in order to find some local breeders but no luck with the exact husky I want yet. I'm looking for a male white and grey blue eyed or bi eyed husky puppy.

If anyone knows any good local breeders who are due to have a litter soon or recently had some, please let me know!

TYIA for any help

And as a side note, I have done all my research on this specific breed so I understand what I am getting myself into in regards to caring for them and their behaviors.

I hope to have a new addition to the family soon (:

spikerS
10-06-2010, 07:08 PM
we will be breeding ours this fall, probably near beginning of december.

We will not be providing papers as it looks like we will be breeding her with a Malamute. We are basically doing it for the dog, to settle her down a bit.

If you are able to wait that long...

D. Dub
10-06-2010, 09:11 PM
spikers, does the world really need more mutts though?

To the OP -- there are lots of good breeders in Western Canada -- find this issue of Dogs in Canada at Chapters. My last dog was a Sammy. I love the Northern Spitz breeds.

http://www.dogsincanada.com/annual

There are lots of husky specific rescues too. I've adopted two different dogs now that were Canadian Champs in their particular breeds.

Good luck

CMW403
10-06-2010, 09:15 PM
my cousin got one about a year ago, she's beautiful. i'll find out the breeders details and pm you.

AndyL
10-06-2010, 09:24 PM
D.Dub- Does the world need more inbred purebreds?

D. Dub
10-06-2010, 09:35 PM
No it probably doesn't, but at least the purebreds are monitored for health problems, and genetic improvements are a primary goal. Backyard breeders breed just because, they also rarely screen the owners of the dogs, whereas the breeders do screen where their puppies go.

At the very least, I would say the breeders come from a higher ethical grounding than people who decide to play with animal husbandry just for shits and giggles.

AndyL
10-06-2010, 09:40 PM
We come from different worlds then... I've seen few breeders who were literally supporting the breed (Minor exception - met a caucasian mountain dog breeder who actually cared) most are just about the appearances and $

All our current 'breeds' are from hicks who didn't know the first damn thing about dog genetics - but knew that was a good male dog, and that was a good bitch...

spikerS
10-06-2010, 11:58 PM
there is always going to be the hate for people like myself, a responsible pet owner, that decides to breed his or her dog for a host of reasons. Some are the right reasons, some are not.

I personally will not be doing this for money. I will sell the puppies for their cost to me. vet bills, food, ect. I don't want to be a full time breeder, or to even do it as a hobby. My Siberian Husky is an amazing dog. she has a wonderful temperament, is great with children, low maintenance, but a little restless.

We want to breed her to settle her down a bit, and hopefully be able to make other families happy as well. I think most of the puppies are spoken for anyways.

like I said, even if we did breed her with another papered husky, we would not be providing papers or anything.

however, andy does have a point. I have worked extensively with many different breeds over the years, and many breeders are puppy mills. there are a few exceptions, but most view the dogs they own as an investment, and these are the people you all champion. Having said that, there are breeders out there that actually do care about their pets. Notice the difference between their dog and their pet i made there. The few and far between breeders that do care, worry more about genetic diversity and will bring in studs from far and wide to ensure this, while the mill types usually only have 2-3 dogs constantly pumping them out.

but to each his own, and i relinquish my soap box.

AndyL
10-07-2010, 12:45 AM
I've only met a handful of breeders over the years who were what I'd deem to be reputable... There were some sled dog breeders up north, met a terrific lady out in saskabush who bred welsh terriers, and the breeder we're working with for our Ovcharka (it'll still be a while (5+yrs) before we get him). Yes, I've met hundreds over the years - yes I'm pretty much still at 5 who I believe to be truly "reputable breeders"

I'm sorry, but the homemaker who figures she can buy 4-5 dogs and procedes to churn out puppies "Not as a puppy mill" - 99.999% of the time, is nothing more than a puppy mill... I call them the lonely housewife mills. They're all about appearing not to be a puppy mill - but they're usually that much worse...

jimb0_12
10-07-2010, 12:47 AM
http://www.ipbhuskysnowdogs.com/

breeder out of airdie!!! gf's neighbour has a dog from there, hes BEAUTIFUL. His name is Max. Max's father was in the movie 8 Below with Paul Walker. This breeder has a bunch of huskies in the movies, and is a very reputable breeder.

I cant wait to move out on my own. Told my gf that as soon as we buy a house, I'm buying one of these guys before we even get couches!!! lol!

austic
10-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
I've only met a handful of breeders over the years who were what I'd deem to be reputable... There were some sled dog breeders up north, met a terrific lady out in saskabush who bred welsh terriers, and the breeder we're working with for our Ovcharka (it'll still be a while (5+yrs) before we get him). Yes, I've met hundreds over the years - yes I'm pretty much still at 5 who I believe to be truly "reputable breeders"

I'm sorry, but the homemaker who figures she can buy 4-5 dogs and procedes to churn out puppies "Not as a puppy mill" - 99.999% of the time, is nothing more than a puppy mill... I call them the lonely housewife mills. They're all about appearing not to be a puppy mill - but they're usually that much worse...
There is much more than 5 good breeders. If you are serious about finding a good breeder look up the next big dog show and talk to any of the kennels that are there for your specific breed. I have a rare breed dog and manged to find a great breeder. but you are right in that the backyard breeders far outweigh the good ones.

And to the OP the best place to start looking is with the national club for you breed. Most breed’s specific clubs require their members to prescribe to a specific code of conduct to ensure that they are referring those interested in the breed to good breeders.

http://www.siberianhuskyclubofcanada.com/

AndyL
10-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Perhaps you're not understanding what I'm saying... When it comes to a TRULY reputable breeder who actually was worried about the breed, earnestly interested in the genetics, looking to create the best possible dogs... That being the proper standard for breeders - not just "well I have a male and a bitch with papers" - which seems to be the much more common scenario.

There are thousands of breeders out there - who might be ok; a step above a puppy mill - doesn't mean they're meeting D.Dub's expectation that they're actually working to maintain, improve the breeds genetics, monitor for health problems etc. Every puppy mill out there that same stupid form asking the basic ownership questions - doesn't mean they care; just that they want to appear reputable. This is where the "lonely housewife puppymill" comes in - wants to look reputable, may even have a dog or two they show - doesn't mean they're interested in much more than supplemental income - and being able to claim they're a "reputable breeder" at the mom & tots playdates...

GTI CANADIAN
10-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub
No it probably doesn't, but at least the purebreds are monitored for health problems, and genetic improvements are a primary goal. Backyard breeders breed just because, they also rarely screen the owners of the dogs, whereas the breeders do screen where their puppies go.

At the very least, I would say the breeders come from a higher ethical grounding than people who decide to play with animal husbandry just for shits and giggles.

I'm not for puppy mills or people who breed for profit. However, there is a point for every breeder where they are a first time breeder. I find your comment kinda condesending.

I have 2 boston terriers that I plan on breeding, yet I've never breed dogs before. Does that make me some kind of uneducated low-life?

D. Dub
10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Obviously there are bad purebred breeders as well. However anyone even slightly serious about purebreds has to breed to standard -- and at the very least has HAS to screen out the breeds particular genetic faults.

I was being condescending. Breeding dogs just because you can is selfish -- why create more mutts when there are plenty being killed in shelters every day?

syeve
10-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Maybe the OP should take a close look at the breed they are getting into. Huskies are notorious for escaping basically any backyard, not great at off leash parks as they basically just run and run. They are gorgeous dogs and can be one of the best pets but breed knowledge is an absolute must for this VERY specifically bred working dog.

We see dozens of huskies at the SPCA every year because people buy them for looks, when they realize have limitless energy, are notorious for escaping (up to a 7 foot fence) they turn them in. It is so sad to see a dog being punished for stupid people buying a dog because "their eyees are sooo pretty" It makes me sick to my stomach.

All-in-all I would say that a purebred Husky would be one of the last dogs I would recommend to a new dog owner. If you MUST get one try the local SPCA.

NOTE: I should say, I have nothing personally against Husky, quite the opposite actually. They are specifically bred for running and pulling. Life in the city is torture for them in my humble opinion.

b.mm.3wgirl
10-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by CMW403
my cousin got one about a year ago, she's beautiful. i'll find out the breeders details and pm you.

That would be awesome if you could! Thank you (=

Originally posted by syeve
Maybe the OP should take a close look at the breed they are getting into. Huskies are notorious for escaping basically any backyard, not great at off leash parks as they basically just run and run. They are gorgeous dogs and can be one of the best pets but breed knowledge is an absolute must for this VERY specifically bred working dog.

We see dozens of huskies at the SPCA every year because people buy them for looks, when they realize have limitless energy, are notorious for escaping (up to a 7 foot fence) they turn them in. It is so sad to see a dog being punished for stupid people buying a dog because "their eyees are sooo pretty" It makes me sick to my stomach.

All-in-all I would say that a purebred Husky would be one of the last dogs I would recommend to a new dog owner. If you MUST get one try the local SPCA.

NOTE: I should say, I have nothing personally against Husky, quite the opposite actually. They are specifically bred for running and pulling. Life in the city is torture for them in my humble opinion.

I am aware of all of this, I have done extensive research in them and am fully dedicated to meeting his needs and keeping him for as long as possible. My father is very experienced in animals such as dogs. Thanks for the comment though (=

and Thanks for all the quick replies to everyone!
I am strictly looking for a purebred

GTI CANADIAN
10-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I am totally for breeding out of genetic defects.

However, I don't totally agree with breeding to a standard. Have you not seen the Documentry on CBC about purebred dogs in the UK? Some parts of breeding to a standard are totally disgusting.

austic
10-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Honestly it’s my opinion that if you are going to betterment of the breed then both parents should be CKC titled. My dog has his Canadian championship and I would never consider using him to sire a litter with a non titled bitch.

But to the topic on hand check the site i gave you there was one Alberta breeder that had two males available. And syeve is right; their ability to dig under fences is legendary. My neighbors used to get out every damn day until he re did his fence which was really expensive as the boards had to go several feet in the ground, but she hasn’t got out since.

n1zm0
10-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN
Some parts of breeding to a standard are totally disgusting.

it was even worse back in the day, how do you think almost ALL well known 'pure bred' dogs came to be? rich european folk before and especially during the Victorian era making certain breeds screw other ones over and over and over, sometimes interblood lines to get a final product.

wiener dogs dont have short legs because they need them, they have them because they were bred to look like that, and hereditary problems like with say a dachshund, its legs are so damned small and so far apart front to back, they have chronic back problems, all so some lady in the 1800s could laugh and giggle at how cute it is when it waddles around, look at what an old-style dachshund used to look like ( i.e: what its supposed to look like) and compare it to the hot dog dachshund that it is now, kinda sad..

Little Dragon
10-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Anymore places? Very interested also.

b.mm.3wgirl
10-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks jimb0_12 ! Great recommendation, awesome breeder!
Here's the new addition to the family!
Will be picking him up on Friday (: Thanks for all the help and advice!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/mmich_storm/IMG_6432.jpghttp://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/mmich_storm/IMG_6419.jpg

bignerd
10-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by spikers
there is always going to be the hate for people like myself, a responsible pet owner, that decides to breed his or her dog for a host of reasons. Some are the right reasons, some are not.

I personally will not be doing this for money. I will sell the puppies for their cost to me. vet bills, food, ect. I don't want to be a full time breeder, or to even do it as a hobby. My Siberian Husky is an amazing dog. she has a wonderful temperament, is great with children, low maintenance, but a little restless.

We want to breed her to settle her down a bit, and hopefully be able to make other families happy as well. I think most of the puppies are spoken for anyways.

You know that breeding a bitch to "settle her down" a is a bit(actually a lot) absurd and a total myth, and a dumb one at that. If you want to settle her down some spay her, no raging hormones, no crazy behaviour and whining when she comes into heat.

Curious as to what health and genetic testing you have done? Hip and elbow x-rays for displasia? CERF exams? OFA? Brucellosis? Let me guess... you have probably done none of these. Oh have you whelped a litter before? Its easy, until there is a problem... or several problems.

I love it how easily people shit all over pure bred dog breeders, especially when they have no idea what they are talking about(AndyL). All pure bred dogs were inbred at SOME point, that is how you lock in a trait, a look, a characteristic and CREATE a unique breed. Inbreeding must be done initially at the start of a new breed, once these characteristics are locked in you widen the gene pool. The only reason people inbreed today is A) to either lock in a very important trait that the breed is losing-this is what a responsible breeder would do-even this decision is not made easily, as you also double up on bad traits as well OR B)because they cannot afford stud fees to outside dogs so they use their own over and over again.

When I receive a stud request I examine a 5 generation pedigree, health records, look at previous puppies produced by said bitch and pedigrees (if applicable), talk to the breeder, see what titles the bitch has, see what type of homes the breeder places their puppies in (i.e. working, show, agility-homes where the offspring will be active and titled, and what pet homes they are going to).

I have spent countless thousands of dollars on my dog, (if I had to guess I would be around 8K) in order to show him to Canadian and American Kennel Club championships, as well we are half way to a third championship from another recognized registry. He has had his hips and elbows x-rayed for displasia, bi-yearly eye (CERF) exams, two genetic tests to see if he carries a drug sensitivity gene and a cataract gene (both problems in our breed) along with Brucellosis tests before every breeding. I only EVER breed if I believe the puppies produced will better the breed.

Yes there are poor breeders out there who do none of these test, even people breeding bitches because they think it will "settle them down" or "because it is good for them to have one litter before they are spayed".... but there are countless others out their championing their breed, preserving bloodlines and pedigrees and breeding wonderful healthy purebred dogs.

The documentary on CBC is totally biased and did not show any of the good breeders have done. Epilepsy is an issue in our breed, there are no genetic tests for it yet. All we can go on is the honesty of other breeders and what they say. These days if a dog produces an epileptic puppy it is spayed/neutered and pulled from the breeding program-that pedigree stops right there because the risk is too big. Same with hip displasia, you would never breed a poor rated dog to another poor rated dog, most people strive to produce dogs with normal or excellent hips.

Yes some dogs have been bred to extremes, however most breeds are healthier now and we know more about canine genetics than ever before. If you do not breed to a breed standard then you will not have Huskies that look like Huskies and traits that are undesirable go unchecked and suddenly you have a purebred Husky that looks like every other dog. We used to have to make judgement calls about breedings, now we have new genetics tests to aid in our decisions. And for n1zm0, many purebred dog breeds date back to ancient history, I would say very few came to be in the Victorian Era. Most dog breeds are very new or very very old. And daschunds inherently need short legs, perhaps not as short as they are now, but they were bred to hunt badgers (as well as other vermin) and enter the badgers hole so needed to be short...

Yes I am passionate about pure bred dogs.

AndyL
10-10-2010, 10:13 AM
And this would be another one of these people who's making a living off their dogs - claiming to be all about the breed.

I know nothing eh. Really - wanna compare pedigrees? I've got 14 years of animal husbandry - I know genetics better than most - spent 7 years working on the German red angelfish - that genetic line I created is now one of the most soughtafter - as it's a true red, not requiring astaxanthin based foods like the original strains to maintain the red hue. Also did a ridiculous amount of work with Apistogramma Cacatuoides 'triple red' - to work out some of the bad breeding that was involved in creating the strain - crossing back against wild to get back the proper body shape, improving the strength of the superveil finnage, and temperament in the process. Want me to post up a few dozen generations of my breeding work and we can compare?

Wow, 8K on your dog - really. Here we go again, sounds like an impressive number - but lets think about that for a while, cost me over 800$ to have Pepper X-rayed for hip displasia - you're claiming you've had all these tests done - for 8K including genetic markers. :rofl:

And I'd really like to see 5 generations of documentation you're claiming you get - 50 years? C'mon lets see it - post em up. People have enough trouble finding 5 generations of their own lineage; and dogs didn't get the same degree of documentation until the mid 60s/70s, so I'm really doubting you on this one.

I don't breed dogs - don't have any desire to. And it's folks like you who have convinced me as to why I would never want to be involved in this industry.

Jeremiah
10-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jimb0_12

breeder out of airdie!!! gf's neighbour has a dog from there, hes BEAUTIFUL. His name is Max. Max's father was in the movie 8 Below with Paul Walker. This breeder has a bunch of huskies in the movies, and is a very reputable breeder.

I cant wait to move out on my own. Told my gf that as soon as we buy a house, I'm buying one of these guys before we even get couches!!! lol!

Stay away from them, the breeder is a nutcase

zipdoa
10-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by jimb0_12

Are you kidding me? one quick search online and I was able to find out a host of bad shit about this breeder. She's full of shit, lies about having papers for the animals and is the EXACT definition of a backyard breeder.

Inexperienced pet owners are just DAZZLED by her "snow dogs" and their celebrity status.

Seriously, this breeder is a peice of shit.

Little background on her Disney Dogs:

"The puppies were shipped from the us at about 5 weeks old, Illegal for one thing, unethical for the puppies for another.

When they were looking for puppies they contacted pretty well every siberian breeder in Canada I think, I was on several mailing lists and every breeder on there was contacted by Disney's production one or more times I am pretty sure. They all refused and were pretty well disgusted because they wanted the pups at 4-5 weeks old so that they could train them and film them at 7-8 weeks old when they are the cutest. They would not allow the breeders to be on site or the mothers/littermates so needless to say everyone said no. Shirley, on the other hand, had no issue with this. "

zipdoa
10-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by b.mm.3wgirl
Thanks jimb0_12 ! Great recommendation, awesome breeder!
Here's the new addition to the family!
Will be picking him up on Friday (: Thanks for all the help and advice!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/mmich_storm/IMG_6432.jpghttp://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/mmich_storm/IMG_6419.jpg

Seriously, you are a fucking idiot.

You went and bought a dog from the SHITTIEST, most DESPICABLE breeder in alberta. Congrats, I'm sure the Husky will have a great time living inner city with BMW GIRL :thumbsup:

How can people be so DENSE!

I remember talking to this breeder on the phone and thinking how she sounded like a salesperson, not a dog breeder. All she was interested in was making a sale, moving volume huskys is her #1 goal.

Kijiji thread on the puppymill you just bought your dog from, with customers complaining of registration fraud, puppy deaths:

http://forum.kijiji.ca/about6775771-0-asc-45.html

zipdoa
10-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Holy fuck, she (Shirley Koyczan) can't even build a proper website. At least she used Word to spell check what she had written in the first place. The grammatical errors alone really dictate the intelligence this breeder possess.

I guess I shouldn't be suprised that a teenage "bmw girl" couldn't decipher between a real breeder (who would likely ask you for a resume to qualify dog ownership), and a puppymill. You make me sick. Shirley Koyczan has been suspended from the CKC for registration fraud. How could you be so stupid as to not even research where you got your husky? Shirley Koyczan is a fraud.

She claims "Disclaimer Notice - We reserve the right, to not register our litters, with the CKC, due to slow service, and rising costs, and continuous certificate errors and corrections. "

WAY TO SUPPORT THE PROBLEM!

/rant

Jeremiah
10-10-2010, 02:24 PM
LOL you should see what she looks like.

Definition of Trailer Trash.

Everything you have said is right 100%. I know for a fact

bignerd
10-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
And this would be another one of these people who's making a living off their dogs - claiming to be all about the breed.

I know nothing eh. Really - wanna compare pedigrees? I've got 14 years of animal husbandry - I know genetics better than most - spent 7 years working on the German red angelfish - that genetic line I created is now one of the most soughtafter - as it's a true red, not requiring astaxanthin based foods like the original strains to maintain the red hue. Also did a ridiculous amount of work with Apistogramma Cacatuoides 'triple red' - to work out some of the bad breeding that was involved in creating the strain - crossing back against wild to get back the proper body shape, improving the strength of the superveil finnage, and temperament in the process. Want me to post up a few dozen generations of my breeding work and we can compare?

Wow, 8K on your dog - really. Here we go again, sounds like an impressive number - but lets think about that for a while, cost me over 800$ to have Pepper X-rayed for hip displasia - you're claiming you've had all these tests done - for 8K including genetic markers. :rofl:

And I'd really like to see 5 generations of documentation you're claiming you get - 50 years? C'mon lets see it - post em up. People have enough trouble finding 5 generations of their own lineage; and dogs didn't get the same degree of documentation until the mid 60s/70s, so I'm really doubting you on this one.

I don't breed dogs - don't have any desire to. And it's folks like you who have convinced me as to why I would never want to be involved in this industry.

You paid $500 too much to have your dogs hips x-rayed, unless you did a pen-hip evaluation which is more but requires the dog to be put under general anesthesia which I will not do for a simple x-ray. 8k is a lot, that does not consider basic vet bills, shots and check ups. I am not sure why you think genetic testing is insanely expensive, which is why it sad more people do not do it. The cataract gene test I did was about $180 (we did a group test to bring prices down some) as well the drug sensitivity test was only $80 US. Eye exams at about $45 every six months. The ultrasound I just had done only cost $472.... not sure what vet you are using but sounds expensive.

Since when is a generation 10 years-most people do not wait until a dog is 10 years old to breed them... I have a 5 generation pedigree, however do not feel the need to post it on the internet to prove a point unless you are interested in breeding to my stud or are a serious potential puppy buyer.

I didn't say you know nothing, you just don't know anything about breeding dogs, which is just as well from the sounds of things.

AndyL
10-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

especially when they have no idea what they are talking about(AndyL)
Yeah you leave little doubt in your original comment. Now you're backtracking?

16 xrays under general + review by a german vet who specializes in G.Pyr's - costs what it costs. Cheaper to look for and address these issues as a puppy - than wait until the dogs in pain.

Never heard of genetic testing coming for under 200$ - interesting; because last time pepper had blood drawn for test - ran pretty close to that by itself for basics of taking the blood.

Who cares when the dog is bred, 5 generations to me - means complete generations - not just when they're bred. So what 5 generations is 10 years - wow there's a good history and assesment of that breeding lines general health.

bignerd
10-10-2010, 11:19 PM
We are talking 5 complete generations, not decades. If a dog is bred at an average age of say 4, then a 5 generation pedigree is only going to span 20 years, very reasonable when people have been keeping stud books for 50 years or longer depending on the breed and not that farfetched considering some dogs will be bred mostly younger (or older). A five generation pedigree is basically industry standard, what everyone keeps on hand for quick reference and puppy buyers. Pedigrees can be traced back quite far, some Afghan hounds (the other breed I have been involved with) can be traced back to some of the first dogs imported from England in the early 1900's(mainly two dogs that were brought over). Is a 100 year pedigree enough for you? My breed is newer, becoming more popular in the 50's and only recognized by the Canadian Kennel Club in the 90's. Obviously our stud books and records will not go back as far, however I could most likely easily trace my dogs pedigree back another 3 or 4 generations if I wish, his breeder would know a couple of these off the top of her head.

There are many many genetic tests available for various breeds, one such lab (with prices attached) is
http://www.aht.org.uk/genetics_tests.html#canine
A full DNA test with genetic code for a dog for identification purposes can be done for $75 US. I agree blood tests are highly over priced here.

Its actually cheapest to invest in a well bred dog from parents who have been tested for displasia and who have rated normal or excellent, it is not a 100% gurantee but a very good indicator of things to come. Hip displasia is also not often seen in puppies... the orthopedic foundation for animals will not even rate x-rays for dogs unless they are over two years of age.

Anyhow, I am sure I could debate animal husbandry and breeding ethics with you all night but I have some things to go be thankful for.

Shlade
10-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Cute puppy.

But one of my buddies bought a dog from there... Weirdest experience EVER! the little girl she has doing her paperwork is strange as all fuck... her fat daughters wanted me and my buddy like a fat kid wanted cake...

I think my buddys husky is retarded.. scared of everything and super jumpy and weird.

Id never get a dog from there personally.

AndyL
10-11-2010, 08:44 AM
That's part of the reason I'm loving the ovcharka's. Those damn commies documented everything - breeder we're working with - has full genetic line history and service records for the whole genetic lines they have - dating back to 1947 on the siberian line; and 1952 on the uzbekistan line. Basically full life histories of the two bloodlines they're working with.

Full details of every litter, every dog in that litter, all the brothers and sisters; medical and service records for all (which is a little disturbing to read in some cases). That's what I call documenting the bloodline.

Originally posted by bignerd
Its actually cheapest to invest in a well bred dog from parents who have been tested for displasia and who have rated normal or excellent, it is not a 100% gurantee but a very good indicator of things to come. Hip displasia is also not often seen in puppies... the orthopedic foundation for animals will not even rate x-rays for dogs unless they are over two years of age.
[/B]
Ours being a rescue, doesn't come with pedigree - and a large breed - seemed much better to test now. Specialist who looked at the xrays is revered by the G.Pyr breeders at being near perfectly accurate as early as 5 weeks. At least we'd know going in whether there'd be problems - prophylactics are much better than waiting for the sh*t to hit the fan.

zipdoa
10-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Cute puppy.

But one of my buddies bought a dog from there... Weirdest experience EVER! the little girl she has doing her paperwork is strange as all fuck... her fat daughters wanted me and my buddy like a fat kid wanted cake...

I think my buddys husky is retarded.. scared of everything and super jumpy and weird.

Id never get a dog from there personally.

That's because she's a drug addict, and sells volume huskies to fund it.

syeve
10-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Seriously, you are a fucking idiot.

You went and bought a dog from the SHITTIEST, most DESPICABLE breeder in alberta. Congrats, I'm sure the Husky will have a great time living inner city with BMW GIRL :thumbsup:

How can people be so DENSE!

I remember talking to this breeder on the phone and thinking how she sounded like a salesperson, not a dog breeder. All she was interested in was making a sale, moving volume huskys is her #1 goal.

Kijiji thread on the puppymill you just bought your dog from, with customers complaining of registration fraud, puppy deaths:

http://forum.kijiji.ca/about6775771-0-asc-45.html

Seriously, I don't know why I give advise on Beyond sometimes. This is exactly what I was talking about. No breed knowledge, believe everything the "breeder" says and doesn't even do a 10 second google on the breeder. I bet $10 this dog is going to end up and SPCA, along with the other dozen or so "purebred" Huskys we see a year. So depressing. Poor dogs.

zipdoa
10-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Seriously, I don't know why I give advise on Beyond sometimes. This is exactly what I was talking about. No breed knowledge, believe everything the "breeder" says and doesn't even do a 10 second google on the breeder. I bet $10 this dog is going to end up and SPCA, along with the other dozen or so "purebred" Huskys we see a year. So depressing. Poor dogs.

Exactly. BMWGIRL says she's done 'all her research', yet shes in her early 20's, still going to post-secondary, and still lives with her parents. I bet she gets sick of the dog in 6 months and they send it to the SPCA.

BMWGIRL, did you ever think of researching your OWN situation to gauge if it was suitable for this dog? It's not all about the breed, it's also making sure you can dedicate 14 years of YOUR LIFE to this animal.

You make me SICK.

Mitsu3000gt
10-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I know nothing about dogs, but a quick search into that lady and her "snow dogs" made me cringe. I hope you haven't paid her yet and heed the advice from the people in this thread who really know what they're talking about.

Also her website reads like a 4 year old wrote it, she can't even form a coherent sentence or use many elementary words properly. How the hell can she breed dogs?

It's amazing how little research is done when looking to buy a "best friend" for 15 years or however long they live.

EDIT: check out the first paragraph on the "About IBP" Page, :rofl: I couldn't bring myself to read any more of the website, it is just too much.

We have unparalleled commited our business services providing the highest guarantee on your siberian husky puppy to be fully genetically free of hereditary diseases and ailments, How ever we do cover ailments due to communicable dieases,improper diet,environment,abuse,accidental death or injury.The temperment of your siberian husky is also guraranteed up to it's original expected life span.This is why our family members return year after year, Because of dedication our undivided commitments that we surrender to each individual, When Specializing in the pureity of health & soundness while improving such great intelligents in our siberian husky breeding program & in our genetic bloodlines it is the reputable communities that recognize our siberian huskies as purebred siberian husky bred for sure promising hereditary clean quality bloodlines, Eliminating the crossbreding that has gotten out of control, By reproducing our flawless genetics were keeping the original bloodlines pure to it's purity.Producing & providing top quality sound working lines,sound show lines,sound pet lines, to keep our genetics sound, intellegent, with exquisit sound personalities, give many the opportunity to produce back in their genetic gen pool the same high grad quality in their own litters, keeping the cross bloodline breeding out of the pool , this recreating more healthier ,sounder,intelligent,stronger flawless looking siberian husky puppies living a more healthier lustrous life style. All of our Male sire's have been selected for what they produce best in their litters, sound genetics produced in there reproductive system for a stronger new generation. All of our female siberian huskies, have been selected for what they reproduce the same equilibrium producing a stronger cleaner fertile generation.

austic
10-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Congrats, you just bought from one of the worst breeders in Alberta. I guess you didnt bother looking at the kennel club regestered breeders?

This is the same woman that shows up with a truck load of huskies trying to sell them out of the back of her truck...

Judging on the amount of research done the dog will get out of the yard before it ends up at the SPCA......

gretz
10-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

It's amazing how little research is done when looking to buy a "best friend" for 15 years or however long they live.

No shit... For the most part, people seem to just want a "siberian husky"(and other purebreds) just to say they have one... Its like an expensive purse for young girls lol...

BMWgirl... have you owned a dog before? I hope your parents are ready for another kid lol...

ZeroGravity
10-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I know nothing about dogs, but a quick search into that lady and her "snow dogs" made me cringe. I hope you haven't paid her yet and heed the advice from the people in this thread who really know what they're talking about.

This is sad. I always keep an eye on any dog or pet related threads. Especially Siberian Husky threads. I've always wanted another one. Looking for any recommendations or links to some local Alberta breeders. So when the ipb link came up here, I first visited the website, then searched the name on google. After looking at the results, I was puzzled why ipb was recommeded here in the first place. Beyond has pretty much people from all walks of life and experience. But this particular recommendation of ipb seems to have missed the ball. I really hope OP will not go through with the plan coming Friday.

My current one (4 yrs old) was from Ontario (Kortar Kennels). I would not hesitate to fly out to get another one from them. I was living in Ottawa at the time. I pretty much visited them almost biweekly to check, wait, and eventually play with the one I've picked.

Two summers ago, I've babysat two other huskies for a friend. It was quite a sight when I'm out walking all of them. My JRT + Husky, and two more Huskies. It's pretty funny, my JRT seems out of place, but she can hold its own when it comes to getting her food.

van
10-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Holy fuck, she (Shirley Koyczan) can't even build a proper website. At least she used Word to spell check what she had written in the first place. The grammatical errors alone really dictate the intelligence this breeder possess.

I guess I shouldn't be suprised that a teenage "bmw girl" couldn't decipher between a real breeder (who would likely ask you for a resume to qualify dog ownership), and a puppymill. You make me sick. Shirley Koyczan has been suspended from the CKC for registration fraud. How could you be so stupid as to not even research where you got your husky? Shirley Koyczan is a fraud.

She claims "Disclaimer Notice - We reserve the right, to not register our litters, with the CKC, due to slow service, and rising costs, and continuous certificate errors and corrections. "

WAY TO SUPPORT THE PROBLEM!

/rant

Most unprofessional person I've ever had to almost work with. Arranged a meeting time with her, showed up to her place in Airdrie and waited over 30 minutes only to be called 2-3 days later with a lame excuse.

My rep also arranged another meeting with her same thing. Finally they meet, everything seems to be going good and then she disappears off the face of the earth again.

Reading all the online reviews you can make your own decision about her. I wasn't getting a Husky from her but it just showed me I shouldn't do business with her either.

bignerd
10-12-2010, 04:59 PM
It is true that most people will spend more time researching their next car purchase than the dog they will be bringing into their lives like someone said for 10-15 years or more in some cases.

The best breeders do not even need a website, people know about them through word of mouth and referrals. If you see someone walking a nice dog on the street ask them about it.

Someone else already pointed out she was banned from CKC, while being a CKC registered breeder is nice, it doesn't necessairly mean they are reputable. Many smaller breeders (as in people who do not breed a lot of litters) are not CKC registered as a kennel because there is no benefit to it. (Members get discounts and what not but really only useful if you have more than one litter every couple of years).

Don't even want to know what she charges for her dogs, only saw the deposit prices of $300.

The only other comment I had for BMWgirl was not to be so hung up on eye and coat color-puppies are not made to order. As soon as someone calls me looking for a puppy and they want this color with these color eyes and this and this, they pretty much go to the end of the waiting list. I am sure this lady will give a puppy to anyone with money in their hand though...

HuskyGirl
09-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Shirley Koyczan is a reputable breeder. why dont you all do you freeking homework..

Did you know that the canadian kennel club allows and notices that half breed mutts such as the pitt bull (that was a cross breed between a british bull dog and something else as pure bread )also the ckc are just money hungry ass holes.

I my self am getting a puppies from snow dogs and i have no complaints. the puppies come with ukc regestered papers, also there is more than one ckc for you idiots out the there is the canadian kennel club and there is the continental kennel club..

why dont you all do yourselves a favor and stop ragging on a bussiness that you have only heard bad things about and actually check eveything out for your selves, go down there and see her dogs and listen to how she treats her dogs they are her family and life and people like you are the back yard breeders that have to have your dogs certified by the canadian kennel club so you can get more bang for your buck..

The only important thing to realize is that when you are buying a husky is that it is reg ckc as in conten or uks registered. the canadian kennel club can have there mutts and keep them too.

other than that as long as the pup is healthy, well taken care of by the breeder and you love that dog like its family thats the ultimate goal to dog ownership people

msommers
09-20-2012, 01:01 PM
What up, Shirley.

spikerS
09-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by HuskyGirl
*SNIP*

Horrible spelling fraught with grammatical errors...

Hi Shirley! Way to bump a 2 year old thread that was mostly forgotten!

austic
09-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Lol at comparing UKC to CKC... UKC is normally the mark of someone who cant for whatever reason get CKC. Cough Tri Pinscher Cough......

"In North America, the American Pit Bull Terrier has been recognized under this name by the United Kennel Club (UKC) since 1898. Starting in 1936, the American Kennel Club (AKC) accepted for registration in the AKC Stud Book, the breed known as Staffordshire Terrier. However, to avoid confusion with the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the name was changed effective 1 January 1972 to the American Staffordshire Terrier. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier gained official acceptance by the AKC in 1974. The Canadian Kennel Club (CKC) does not recognize the American Pit Bull Terrier, however both the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier are officially recognized in the Terrier group. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is acknowledged as a breed of British origin and was officially recognized by the CKC in 1953."
So according to a little research it was UKC that first recognized the breed

:facepalm::dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

zipdoa
09-20-2012, 01:22 PM

LOL. Inb4 shirley tries to sue beyond.

http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/profile01/136/11098539983f4ceea7fed3fca8db98a9/m.jpg

Govern yourselves accordingly.

Disoblige
09-20-2012, 01:39 PM
*insert Leslie Nielsen quote*

Horror stories about Shirley Koyczan:

Complaints about Shirley Koyczan (http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/ipb-husky-snow-dogs-airdrie-alberta-c424225.html?page=3)
More complaints about Shirley Koyczan (http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-403-796-3676)

Google her name and find much more.

Do not purchase from Shirley Koyczan.

JRSC00LUDE
09-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Shirley Koyczan is a reputable breeder. why dont you all do you freeking homework..

Did you know that the canadian kennel club allows and notices that half breed mutts such as the pitt bull (that was a cross breed between a british bull dog and something else as pure bread )also the ckc are just money hungry ass holes.

I my self am getting a puppies from snow dogs and i have no complaints. the puppies come with ukc regestered papers, also there is more than one ckc for you idiots out the there is the canadian kennel club and there is the continental kennel club..

why dont you all do yourselves a favor and stop ragging on a bussiness that you have only heard bad things about and actually check eveything out for your selves, go down there and see her dogs and listen to how she treats her dogs they are her family and life and people like you are the back yard breeders that have to have your dogs certified by the canadian kennel club so you can get more bang for your buck..

The only important thing to realize is that when you are buying a husky is that it is reg ckc as in conten or uks registered. the canadian kennel club can have there mutts and keep them too.

other than that as long as the pup is healthy, well taken care of by the breeder and you love that dog like its family thats the ultimate goal to dog ownership people

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's the worst written drivel I've seen on here in ages!

CapnCrunch
09-20-2012, 02:51 PM

and people like you are the back yard breeders that have to have your dogs certified by the canadian kennel club so you can get more bang for your buck..

She's on to us guys. I want all Beyonders to stop breeding puppies ASAP!!!

Royle9
09-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Beautiful dogs, would love to own one myself.. but like most have said, it just doesn't seem fair to them when living in a city environment.

this should get interesting :poosie:

http://i.imgur.com/r4GxK.jpg

Tearin
09-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Arcticsun kennels from Edmonton had dogs in Snow Dogs and Eight Below not IPB. I know this because my husky is a grandson of "Old Jack" from Eight Below and he's from Arcticsun.

sevewone
09-22-2012, 12:18 AM
This girl I know is getting a Husky. DEFINITELY is just getting it for the looks...I feel so sorry for the lack of attention the dog is about to receive :thumbsdow

WhippWhapp
09-22-2012, 05:46 AM
The infant fatality awhile ago was by an ipb dog?

Between her Kijiji ads and the complaints against her, this woman makes for interesting reading. It's a shame she's allowed to breed dogs, though.

MrSector9
09-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Shirley Koyczan
17 Oct 2011
McKinnon and Kim Smiley are frauds, McKinnon riped of IPB she purchased a registered female siberian husky only paid $200. and ran off with the f husky then tryed charging IPB for theft for the f siberian husky IPB chrged Mckinnon for fraud stealing the f husky and not paying off balance out standing on the account IPB won judgment against Mckinnon she ran and is in hiding since IPB won. Kim Smiley rapes and sexualy abousess IPB breeder in her own home with wife Kim Smiley and son in home while breeder screeming for her life for help Kim Smiley refussess to aid breeder in helping her while husband bill has his way with the breeder, in fron of son eyes.

When is it okay to rape your breeder in their own home, this family forced them self on this breeder and are trying to cover it all up and now they tryed to black mail her on facebook and are trying to extort money from breeder .Breeder files lawsuit against Smiley FAMILY. PUBLIC BEAWEAR OF THIS FAMILY.

from http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-403-796-3676

holy

WhippWhapp
09-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by sevewone
This girl I know is getting a Husky. DEFINITELY is just getting it for the looks...I feel so sorry for the lack of attention the dog is about to receive :thumbsdow

It's sad that people still choose companion dogs based on looks and image, probably the last thing that should be considered after temperament, activity level and physical size. Dogs are a huge commitment that need to be walked off leash at least twice each day, groomed, fed, socialized, etc, etc.

Here's a photo of my two guys, and I'll tell you looks weren't part of the equation at all. They aren't really required to do anything except be at my side- hell they don't even fetch!

http://i.imgur.com/bODqDl.jpg

It pisses me off when I see idiots with high energy/working/guard type breeds with behaviour problems, and the owners don't put in the time to exercise or socialize them.

And for clarification, I love Pitbulls, Rotti's, Akita's, etc., but at this point in my life owning these breeds is not an option I can consider.