PDA

View Full Version : Stupid FedEx fees?

97'Scort
10-07-2010, 11:43 PM
I had a package delivered more than a month ago from FedEx, a movie for my sister for her birthday. Cost me $30 from the US, was shipped FedEx and got here mid September. The delivery guy said there were no charges and I signed for the package.

Today, I get an invoice from FedEx saying that I'm "in arrears" for $3.50 in HST...plus a $14 admin fee that they've tacked on for the lateness.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask what the hell is up, because they have some big balls to say "nothing owing" and come back with a bill more than half of the product value. Anyone else get something like this and fight it?

aqure591
10-07-2010, 11:49 PM
I have had Fed Ex drop of my shipments without collecting anything also, but they send me an invoice for any brokerage fees that are owing on the delivery. I'm pretty sure that's how Fed Ex runs things. I think UPS is the only company which collects at the time of delivery. I could be wrong on this.

97'Scort
10-07-2010, 11:53 PM
I've paid the fedex guy before. First time I've ever seen this bill. I understand the HST, no problem there. It's the suggestion that I'm somehow late on a payment they said didn't exist that throws me.

aqure591
10-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Yah that makes sense. If its your first notification then it very well could be a billing mistake. Either way its a bullshit charge, phone them up and get an adjustment on your account.

Originally posted by 97'Scort
I've paid the fedex guy before. First time I've ever seen this bill. I understand the HST, no problem there. It's the suggestion that I'm somehow late on a payment they said didn't exist that throws me.

bignerd
10-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I would ask, when I had something shipped with UPS and owed GST the guy collected the cheque at the door before leaving the package.

If the delivery man told you that you did not owe anything and did not leave an invoice how are you supposed to know??

Zero102
10-08-2010, 07:32 AM
1) It doesn't matter at all that it is 50% of your item value. They picked up your item, put it in many different trucks, cleared it through customs and delivered it to your door. It doesn't matter if that item was $1 or $1000, its irrelevant

2) It is completely normal for FedEx to drop off an item without even mentioning a charge. The delivery guys don't know anything about it since the charge comes from their brokers not from the part of the company that drops the box off at your door. Yes it is stupid, but it is also worth noting, that FedEx != UPS. You can't compare the 2 when it comes to their specific business practices.

That said, the $14 admin fee should _NOT_ be for lateness, but rather for being so kind to pay the HST on your behalf. That amount sounds like their customary admin fee / service charge, not a late charge to me.

adidas
10-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, i dont rmr how it exactly went down but i never ended up paying it. They sent a couple of letters to my mailing address but other then that nothing serious came out of it.

Zero102
10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
With FedEx, if you ship something to another country to sign an agreement saying that if the person on the other end refuses to pay the fees you will instead. This is why most EBay sellers won't ship FedEx to Canada. Arguably you can ignore it and the seller will have to pay the fees instead of you, but really it isn't their fault if you picked FedEx.

bb147
10-09-2010, 11:43 AM
the fees on fedex is actually much cheaper then UPS.

If it was UPS, you would've paid more in fees then what your item would've been worth