PDA

View Full Version : First speeding ticket.

Seth1968
10-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Hello.

I'm 42 years old and have never had a speeding ticket. That is, until about a week ago when I received a photo radar ticket in the mail.

The ticket claims I was doing 88km/hr in a 70 zone. The street is 43rd in Lethbridge in which I travel everyday as my home is right off of 43rd.

I've lived in the area for three years, and know that 43rd is a hotbead for photo radar. I sure the fuck wasn't going almost 20KM/HR over the speed limit.

I've been a computer tech for almost 15 years, and understand that failing electronic components can produce anomalous results.

How can it be that an electronic machine can legally convict a citizen?

Let me guess...$$$

friedn00dles
10-08-2010, 12:15 PM
no you weren't going 20km/h over the limit, you were going 18km/h over the limit.

Radar caught your speed as you proceeded through the intersection or past a van/truck.

Photo caught your plate as the result and the ticket was issued to the registered owner of that plate/vehicle so unless you have some magical computer than can prove the calibration is wrong,

radar + photo = enough for a conviction

no speeding = no bitching

msommers
10-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm sure you could challenge it and request when the machine was last calibrated if you're concerned.

Which brings me to an interesting point. Despite being highly unethical, how is it not possible that photo radar controllers just tags people saying they were going...15 over when they actually weren't? Easily less than half would even challenge it. There has to be some sort of standardized control so that this wouldn't happen...right?

I can sympathize with the OP in some regard. I haven't seen the cops sit at the top of 16th ave East coming off of Deerfoot for awhile (ie: months to possibly a year) and I drive by there all the time. Yet still, I always go 60km/h as others blow past me. If it's ingrained in your system to slow down, why all the sudden one day would you decide to go 20km/h over? Did they tag the wrong vehicle by accident?

GOnSHO
10-08-2010, 12:56 PM
the ticket doesnt go against you, demerits wise, anyways..

just pay it and move on??

Kloubek
10-08-2010, 01:05 PM
While I am all for people paying for their infractions, he does bring up an interesting point. How do we know for sure this equipment is working properly? How does the city? What if someone knows for a fact they were not speeding and are ticketed anyway... where is the recourse for that?

There has to be some accountability for the accuracy of the systems on the city's side, imo.

For the record, I saw a flash behind me the other day as well, while going South on Beddington Trail. There is a camera about 100 meters away from where the sign changes to 80k. I was indeed doing about 80k... and I'm expecting a ticket.

However, just because the flash goes off doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a ticket does it? I'm pretty sure that photo vans take pictures, but only the top infractions get the actual tickets.

...here's hoping....

Mr.Airport
10-08-2010, 01:14 PM
how accurate is your speedometer?
when was it last calibrated?

Seth1968
10-08-2010, 02:34 PM
What if someone knows for a fact they were not speeding and are ticketed anyway... where is the recourse for that?

My point exactly.

gretz
10-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

My point exactly.

I've come to realize that you can be ticked by any cop, anywhere, for just about anything they want to ticket you for... Re-course? That's what they call court...

I was ticketed for doing well over the speed limit 2 years ago when a truck passed me... I got a huge fucking ticket, tried to explain that he got the huge truck instead of me, as he was passing me etc.... He just told me to go to court, which was a waste of time because there is no mention of a truck in his notes (big surprise)...

At the end of the day, you get the ticket, go to court, and deal with what they end up giving you... whether you did commit an infraction or not

Kloubek
10-08-2010, 03:17 PM
^^ Yeah, what's really cool about that is that
1) You're not guaranteed to win, as in your own case, and
2) You have to take a day off work, which costs you more than the ticket in the first place.

As such, you just pay it and shut up, and they continue on with giving out false tickets because there is virtually nothing you can do about it.

My wife got a ticket in the spring for going 66 in a 50 zone. The thing is, she never even hit the 50 zone yet, and was still in a 70 zone. I thought she might have been wrong, but we retraced her route and she was totally correct. But she just paid it instead of losing money by taking a day off.

The whole system needs an overhaul.

msommers
10-08-2010, 03:26 PM
I agree. But how?

Kloubek
10-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Not entirely sure. In my wife's case, perhaps she should have been able to write in and explain that the speed limit had not come into effect yet. Then they send someone out to confirm or debunk the claim. If it is found to be correct, then they drop the ticket. And if not, they find her guilty of the offense.

Or, in the case of an incorrect photo radar ticket - perhaps they go and make sure the machine is calibrated properly.

I know it seems like a lot of work, but should the responsibility of being ticketed for infractions properly rest on the shoulders of the ones doing the ticketing, or the ones being incorrectly ticketed?

The unfortunate thing is that by the police/government being so dilligent not to screw people over, it would also mean people would try to take advantage of such a verification system and quite simply waste the time of the police. And that's not good either.

There are no easy answers. But maybe if the police all did their jobs properly and the equipment worked properly at all times, there wouldn't be a need to come up with an alternative solution...

Modelexis
10-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Hello.

I'm 42 years old and have never had a speeding ticket. That is, until about a week ago when I received a photo radar ticket in the mail.

Fight it brother, just on the basis alone that you have a crazy clean record they would be nuts to convict you.

Fight it.

chkolny541
10-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Airport
how accurate is your speedometer?
when was it last calibrated?

lul.

slinkie
10-08-2010, 05:21 PM
i prefer the freeman on the land defense

megavolt
10-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Wife/son/dog driving?

Or do you know it was you driving at the time?

Wrinkly
10-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I know it seems like a lot of work, but should the responsibility of being ticketed for infractions properly rest on the shoulders of the ones doing the ticketing, or the ones being incorrectly ticketed?

Doesn't "Innocent until PROVEN guilty" apply?

2LOW4SNOW
10-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

For the record, I saw a flash behind me the other day as well, while going South on Beddington Trail. There is a camera about 100 meters away from where the sign changes to 80k. I was indeed doing about 80k... and I'm expecting a ticket.

Not intending to de-rail this thread, but that intersection really frustrates me. The 80Km sign was probably less than 10m from that intersection just a couple months ago, but as soon as the camera became operational they moved it the 100m or so you mention. I think it was originally close enough that it would have shown up in the pictures. How is it that it was safe to go 80km an hour there last month, but now it is "unsafe" and they will send you a ticket for doing so.

DayGlow
10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't know the design for that intersection, but every one I can think of on an overpass is 60. Do people turning left have a solid green or advance turn only? I suspect the sign was moved back because it was too close to the intersection and it's not designed for higher speed traffic.

dexlargo
10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I've been a computer tech for almost 15 years, and understand that failing electronic components can produce anomalous results.

How can it be that an electronic machine can legally convict a citizen?If you're concerned, send a letter to the crown asking for the testing and calibration records for the relevant time on the equipment used in your case. They'll give you copies.

CUG
10-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by friedn00dles

no speeding = no bitching That's not something that really gets told to a 42 year old guy who's never had a ticket in his life. He's not a dumbass teenager.

know1edge
10-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
I don't know the design for that intersection, but every one I can think of on an overpass is 60. Do people turning left have a solid green or advance turn only? I suspect the sign was moved back because it was too close to the intersection and it's not designed for higher speed traffic.

the beddington trail camera is a T intersection... the way the camera faces, there is no left turn if i recall\

Also,

Originally posted by friedn00dles
no you weren't going 20km/h over the limit, you were going 18km/h over the limit.

I sure the fuck wasn't going almost 20KM/HR over the speed limit.