PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Tire auto service mishap.

Seth1968
10-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Hello.

Two days ago, I brought my Honda Civic to CT for a free tire puncture repair. That went fine, but it turned out one of the ball joints was in dire need of replacement. They said they could replace it right away, but due to time restraints I let them know I'd be back on Sunday to have it replaced. I was told the job would take 1.5 hrs and to show up as soon as they opened at 9AM.

Today (Sunday), I show up at 9AM, was told they couldn't get the vehicle in for about another 1.5 hrs, and they would call when it was finished. So I loiter around the store for awhile, then got some breakfast at a nearby McDonalds. At 10:15 CT calls me and say's they don't have the part and can't get it until Tuesday. WTF!

I walk back to pick up the car and found out that the mechanic took off the ball joint and can't put it back on. Neither the clerk, nor the mechanic even checked to see if the ball joint was in stock.

After fuming, they admitted fault and rented me a car. When all was said and done, It was 12:30 before I finally was able to drive off in the rental car (and I still have to waste even more time in returning the car to the rental agency, etc.

Do you think I should pursue some sort of discount for the repair?

Supa Dexta
10-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm surprised they rented you a car.

sillysod
10-10-2010, 02:24 PM
It happens, nobody is perfect. They rented you a car so IMO they did their part.

badatusrnames
10-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Hello.

Two days ago, I brought my Honda Civic to CT for a free tire puncture repair. That went fine, but it turned out one of the ball joints was in dire need of replacement. They said they could replace it right away, but due to time restraints I let them know I'd be back on Sunday to have it replaced. I was told the job would take 1.5 hrs and to show up as soon as they opened at 9AM.

Today (Sunday), I show up at 9AM, was told they couldn't get the vehicle in for about another 1.5 hrs, and they would call when it was finished. So I loiter around the store for awhile, then got some breakfast at a nearby McDonalds. At 10:15 CT calls me and say's they don't have the part and can't get it until Tuesday. WTF!

I walk back to pick up the car and found out that the mechanic took off the ball joint and can't put it back on. Neither the clerk, nor the mechanic even checked to see if the ball joint was in stock.

After fuming, they admitted fault and rented me a car. When all was said and done, It was 12:30 before I finally was able to drive off in the rental car (and I still have to waste even more time in returning the car to the rental agency, etc.

Do you think I should pursue some sort of discount for the repair?

If the ball joint, was in such dire need of replacement, why would you want them to put it back on and drive the car again?

It's really out of their hands that the part won't be in until Tuesday, although they should have really checked availability before they quoted you 1.5 hours for repair.

Ultimately though, it's pretty decent of them to rent you a car. Most places would've said that you're SOL.

2BLUE
10-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I think thats pretty good service.

Most shops would have told you to take a hike!

Seth1968
10-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm really not understanding why everyone finds it so surprising that they rented me a car when it was there two major mistakes that made my car not drivable.

Yes, the ball joint needed replacing, but it could have waited a couple of more days.

Bottom line:

1) The clerk didn't check if they had the part. I forgot to mention that she admitted her fault in that.

2) I can understand the above, but why would a mechanic pull off a ball joint without having a new one?

AE92_TreunoSC
10-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Honestly you took it to a shitty repair shop and you're hardly being fucked. Not thread worthy at all.

People need to stop taking their cars to canadian tire simply because its open on weekends, its a terrible fucking place to take a car.

Seth1968
10-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Honestly you took it to a shitty repair shop and you're hardly being fucked. Not thread worthy at all.

People need to stop taking their cars to canadian tire simply because its open on weekends, its a terrible fucking place to take a car.

Why is that?

Wrinkly
10-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Yes - they should have got things in the right order in the first place by making sure they could complete the job before taking your car to pieces.....BUT they admitted fault and did what they could to rectify that by making sure you're still mobile in the meantime. Not bad service at all really.

yes they screwed up - but they are putting that right and taking responsibility. That's a rare thing these days

:dunno:

benyl
10-10-2010, 03:35 PM
A Honda dealer wouldn't have rented you a car... You got lucky and they did good by you. You have nothing to be mad about. Your rental is probably nicer than your civic.

TomcoPDR
10-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by benyl
A Honda dealer wouldn't have rented you a car... You got lucky and they did good by you. You have nothing to be mad about. Your rental is probably nicer than your civic.

Cooked Rice
10-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Why is that?

Answer your own question with your original post.

Seth1968
10-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

Answer your own question with your original post.

Is it just somehow CT mechanics that would pull a ball joint without a replacement?

Seth1968
10-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
Yes - they should have got things in the right order in the first place by making sure they could complete the job before taking your car to pieces.....BUT they admitted fault and did what they could to rectify that by making sure you're still mobile in the meantime. Not bad service at all really.

yes they screwed up - but they are putting that right and taking responsibility. That's a rare thing these days

:dunno:

Yes, I understand and agree now.

Thing is, when the clerk called me over an hour later and told me they didn't have the part, I wasn't even mad...shit happens. It was when I found out what the mechanic did, I started to become irate.

Cooked Rice
10-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm probably willing to bet someone told the mechanic they had it in stock because the computer showed inventory, but no one went to physically check. When the time came to put the new part on, the joint was not able to be found on the shelf.

Dilmah
10-10-2010, 04:03 PM
I find it hard to believe they rented you a car, are you sure they didn't just give you someone else's car that was in the shop and your car wasn't lent out to some other fool! Lol.

Kloubek
10-10-2010, 04:03 PM
I do think they did what was required by renting you a car. Since you now have transportation, why bother trying to get a discount out of them?

Seth1968
10-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
I'm probably willing to bet someone told the mechanic they had it in stock because the computer showed inventory, but no one went to physically check. When the time came to put the new part on, the joint was not able to be found on the shelf.

That could very well be.

Now that I've read the replies and look back on the situation, I agree that it was great of them to admit the mistake and rent me a car.

Seth1968
10-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I do think they did what was required by renting you a car. Since you now have transportation, why bother trying to get a discount out of them?

Agreed.

Guillermo
10-10-2010, 06:46 PM
They should have made sure they had the part first, however, they gave you a rental. IMO, that's pretty upstanding service. stop whining - it could be much worse.

Shlade
10-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Sorry if I missed it but which Canadian tire was this at?

Props to them for renting you a car! Very nice thing for them to do

TurboMedic
10-10-2010, 09:02 PM
VW dealership never gave me a car when they screwed up....I had to eat it....You lucked out

Lex350
10-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm really not understanding why everyone finds it so surprising that they rented me a car when it was there two major mistakes that made my car not drivable.

Yes, the ball joint needed replacing, but it could have waited a couple of more days.

Bottom line:

1) The clerk didn't check if they had the part. I forgot to mention that she admitted her fault in that.

2) I can understand the above, but why would a mechanic pull off a ball joint without having a new one?

stop with the entitlement attitude. They fucked up and then stepped up to the plate to rent you a car in the meantime. What else do you need? Kill their first born? Grow up!

Disoblige
10-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Wow, the fact that CT admitted fault and did something about it impresses me.

Sugarphreak
10-10-2010, 11:44 PM

MGCM
10-11-2010, 12:56 AM
bottom line, you should NEVER take your car to Canadian Tire for service.........thats as bad as taking it to Walmart for service...........I know of several good shops that charge a decent rate and won't fuck you around, PM me for details if your willing to give up your precious CT.

Alpine Autowerks
10-11-2010, 05:40 AM
You owe them a props to CT thread not the one you posted. they do not owe you a rental for a parts foul up.

Seth1968
10-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
You owe them a props to CT thread not the one you posted. they do not owe you a rental for a parts foul up.

This isn't as simple as a "parts foul up". As I've stated, no one actually checked if they had the ball joint. The mechanic then took off the ball joint and couldn't put it back on. My car was driveable, but now rendered un-driveable for two days.

* The CT was the South Mayor Magrath location in Lethbridge.

* The rental is around $200.00. I'm sure there will now be a memo stating to physically confirm that the part is in stock before removing anything.

Seth1968
10-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

stop with the entitlement attitude. They fucked up and then stepped up to the plate to rent you a car in the meantime. What else do you need? Kill their first born? Grow up!

Agreed.

I've stated such in my previous posts.

I made a mistake.

Godfuader
10-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

+1

That right there is the best CT customer service story I have ever heard, lol.
:werd:

Rat Fink
10-11-2010, 06:07 PM

thepyrofish
10-12-2010, 08:34 AM

* The CT was the South Mayor Magrath location in Lethbridge.

I'm a little shocked. I usually hear the fuckup stories from the north-end location. Pretty decent of them to rent you a car though.

I had a friend who busted up an axle on his moms car in high school (mad drifting skills, yo) and brought it to crappy tire. He brought in his own replacement axle from pick a part. They changed it, billed him and after it was paid for they told him that the axle he brought in was no good either... but they put it on anyway. :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
10-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Haha that is some fairly impressive customer service with the rental car, but I wouldn't even trust CT to clean my windows let alone replace a ball joint...

Abeo
10-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Back east, Canadian tire was notorious for replacing parts that were perfectly fine (lots of news expose's showing the dishonesty). Have seen firsthand their 'repairs' and the types of mechanics they hire. I would NEVER let crappy tire touch any of my or my families cars.

85regal
10-12-2010, 04:40 PM
sounds like a parts screw up.....usually a price and availability check is done by the tech....if he is told part is there, out comes the old part..no time to stand around waiting on a parts guy. seems they went above what they had to for you. :thumbsup: mistakes happen, but was handled very well by them..

bignerd
10-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Wouldn't the Honda dealership just give you one of their loaners off the lot?? They do have courtesy cars as well.