PDA

View Full Version : used Subaru's... overpriced.

tehwegz
10-10-2010, 10:55 PM
dey sho do hold they value well.

I've been car window shopping and I took a look at Subaru's on Kijiji, oh my... 02/03 Forester wagons with crazy mileage being priced at 10k and every WRX/STi is over 15k ranging to 35k. I think I'll go buy a *new* 2011 WRX STi sedan and in 4 years I'll sell it for 30k. Lol-Idk-Man

I understand they have a reputation for good reliability, plus the AWD is a huge bonus in the winters here, and the cars do look really nice. But still, the used ones are overpriced.

You can get a 02/03 Infiniti G35 sedan for 8-12k, or the coupe for 12-15k.

:dunno:

msommers
10-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Some cars just hold their value better than others. Clearly, Infinitis don't hold their value worth shit!

Mine is an 06 6MT coupe with every possible option. I bought it a couple months ago with 24,000km, 3 year extended warranty and 18" winter rims and tires. Overall the car is 9/10. I paid 26,500. New with tax, it would have been around 60,000. That my friend is shitty resale. Good for me I guess! Well...hopefully.

Lots of cars hold their value well and really shouldn't. Look at 240's, or preludes, or integras. People just want these cars and clearly there is only so much supply...demand goes up and well, so does price. It is basic economics.

Zewind
10-10-2010, 11:46 PM
The Tacoma was the same thing, I was looking at them. They hold their value well. 100k and your still looking to pay over 25

roll_over
10-10-2010, 11:58 PM
They don't hold value people just think they are worth more then they are. Just because you think your car is worth more dosent make it true.
Being realistic with the price is important. Then agian it's a know fact that people see a higher price and assume the product is superior the reason being its more expensive it must be better.

flipstah
10-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Roll_over, if people are historically buying it at that 'high' price (or a range around it), that means it is holding its value.

That's just 'duh'.

buh_buh
10-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Get one from the US. They're priced much more competitively than they are here. I was looking at getting a newer Subaru as a winter car, and I found the same to be true. Way overpriced here.

5hift
10-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Get one from the US. They're priced much more competitively than they are here. I was looking at getting a newer Subaru as a winter car, and I found the same to be true. Way overpriced here.

Could you point me in the right direction.

Looking on the American Autotrader, the prices seem about the same when you factor in all the importing costs.

buh_buh
10-11-2010, 11:53 AM
www.nasioc.com is where I've been looking. What importing costs are there besides flying down there and driving it over? I imported a car a few years ago and there weren't that many additional costs besides GST and duty.

jsn
10-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
They don't hold value people just think they are worth more then they are. Just because you think your car is worth more dosent make it true.
Being realistic with the price is important. Then agian it's a know fact that people see a higher price and assume the product is superior the reason being its more expensive it must be better.

If most of the cars in the market are listed at higher prices and people are BUYING them at those higher listed prices then that means they are holding its value quite well. This is not saying anything about it being a "superior product", just that they hold their market value fairly well. Not to say that some aren't overpriced, but some cars like hondas, toyotas and subarus just hold their value more so than higher end luxury cars.

I remember seeing some g35s of similar years, listed at the sameor close to the same price as wrx's (not STI). They just seem to depreciate faster.

slinkie
10-11-2010, 01:57 PM
better than the beyond civic tax...people wanting 5 grand for ek's etc

max_boost
10-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Just keep looking and it never hurts to fire them an e-mail with your offer. There will always be deals.

I sold my 06 WRX with 60k for $18K. Priced it to go and it was gone within a week.

max_boost
10-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Honestly I would just lease a new WRX for $400 :D

Bizzareo
10-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Just for shits and giggles I looked for you...

18k for a 2006 PPG Candy Wineberry STi (cheapest sti i could find on that site)
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2026591

or you could just drop 40k on a lotus.. :love:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069097

StreetRacerX
10-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Bizzareo
Just for shits and giggles I looked for you...

18k for a 2006 PPG Candy Wineberry STi (cheapest sti i could find on that site)
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2026591

or you could just drop 40k on a lotus.. :love:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069097

That's a nice STi!

heavyD
10-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Subaru is a relatively low volume seller in Canada so it's a combination of resale and availability as they are a niche car. There are thousands of used Civics, Corollas, Altimas, etc to choose from and much less used Subaru's available so sellers can price accordingly if you are set on buying say Forrester. As people have said they are cheaper in the US so if you don't mind going through the hassles of importing it may be a better way to go. If you are looking for 2002 cars with high mileage you may be better served going for something like a Civic. Subaru's solid reliability is a little bit of a myth. They are pretty average and nowhere near as reliable as a Honda or early decade Toyota.

slinkie
10-12-2010, 10:41 AM
wow that wine sti really is gorgeous

heavyD
10-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by slinkie
wow that wine sti really is gorgeous

Too bad automakers stick to the same standard shades of red as that candy apple lookes so distinctive.

ExtraSlow
10-12-2010, 11:15 AM
IMO, it doesn't make much sense to buy a car that holds value like that used.
When buying new, you want a car that holds it's value well, when buying used, you want one that's already depreciated.

If I was in the market for a subaru, I'd be looking at a brand new one. Now Ford Expeditions on the other hand, that's a great vehicle to buy used.

Guillermo
10-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Subaru is a relatively low volume seller in Canada so it's a combination of resale and availability as they are a niche car. There are thousands of used Civics, Corollas, Altimas, etc to choose from and much less used Subaru's available so sellers can price accordingly if you are set on buying say Forrester. As people have said they are cheaper in the US so if you don't mind going through the hassles of importing it may be a better way to go. If you are looking for 2002 cars with high mileage you may be better served going for something like a Civic. Subaru's solid reliability is a little bit of a myth. They are pretty average and nowhere near as reliable as a Honda or early decade Toyota.

not to mention that imprezas are just about the "cheapest" car you can buy... seriously, hyundai accents have better fit and finish.

g-m
10-12-2010, 05:59 PM
just buy it from the states, as stated (heh)

I'll be doing the same. 06/07 STis for 35k is just straight up ridiculous. I'll take a rust-free Arizona car for half that thank you very much.