PDA

View Full Version : Info on Auto Body trade

00accordSE
12-30-2003, 01:42 PM
To those in the trade just want to know you if its a good career tade to be taking up, things like is the pay good and all the pros and cons. Just looking to get some ideas wanting to start up a career. Thanks

max_boost
12-30-2003, 03:56 PM
I believe Motive Action offers autobody training and you are guaranteed job placement upon completion. Check this out for more details www.motiveaction.com for more information.

ninspeed
12-31-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by 00accordSE
To those in the trade just want to know you if its a good career tade to be taking up, things like is the pay good and all the pros and cons. Just looking to get some ideas wanting to start up a career. Thanks
motive action is not bad... but to be honest, the past two guys that have come though my shop scared me... is these guys are getting in to the trade, i will saty far away...

Ill tell ya what i did....
I started out as a detailer for jack carter chev olds. I work there and busted my ass for 8 months... i let them KNOW i wanted to work in the body shop... well, one day i got my wish... I have not been there long... but i ask lots of questions, and write lots down... any time a journeyman tells ya something remebr it... Its not something to get into if you dont have a pasion for.. its a carear, not a job.. i know a few guys on here who sorta got in to it and left. I have taken a love for the trade, and i am glad to go to work in the moring... Get ahold o motive action.. they put ya in a shop after some basic training, and you get to give it a shot... see if ya like it

hampstor
01-01-2004, 10:54 PM
from working a bit in my dad's shop i can tell you the dust will eventually get to you. We know lots of autobody mechanics that have 'the cough' after many years of breathing in the dust.

Aside from that if you have a passion for working on autobody, then by all means the pay is good!

B69
01-01-2004, 11:40 PM
its fun to work in but shitty pay unless u own the shop :(

00accordSE
01-03-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by B69
its fun to work in but shitty pay unless u own the shop :(

Thats what Ive heard too.
I love cars but just am getting sick of crap and just want to find the CAREER job form me !!! :confused:

legendboy
01-03-2004, 03:35 AM
Bodymen are the lowest paid tradesmen.

BBMac
01-11-2004, 05:13 PM
I did the same thing you are thinking of and found that the chemicals were to bad. but that being said I didn't work in a shop with very strict policies. It's a great job if you can find a place were safety is first and if you learn quickly and can get onto flat rate there is definetly good money to be had. Ken from Concours collision told me his bodymen were making up to 90,000 a year on flat rate. worth checking out and don't be afraid to walk away!!

hockeybronx
01-17-2004, 02:54 AM
From what I know the payoffs can be good.

Some cons however is trying to get a reputation when you start off, handling both slow and busy seasons, and the dust is terrible for your lungs even if you wear a mask. I've been doing work on a truck and I bet that I life time of body work is worse than smoking. Watch out for that mystery white substance...bondo!

foxfmx
02-01-2004, 02:35 AM
im 16 and i do autobody, its a pretty easy job, if your really into cars its nice too, the pay is alright for part time and the labour is pretty slack

TrevorK
02-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
From what I know the payoffs can be good.

Some cons however is trying to get a reputation when you start off, handling both slow and busy seasons, and the dust is terrible for your lungs even if you wear a mask. I've been doing work on a truck and I bet that I life time of body work is worse than smoking. Watch out for that mystery white substance...bondo!

It's horrible conditions - the smaller/cheaper the shop the worse.

That being said, the pay isn't the greatest (When you look at other trades) and being good at what you do takes a lot of practice, it's an art.

fivespeed
02-05-2004, 11:11 AM
I m going into the auto body trade, Im starting some course at SIAST.....saskatchewan technical training instute or something like that. lol...Well anyways the course is 9 months then you go work at an autobody shop i think for for years. to become flly certified.

I think the pay goes on how much experience you have meaning if you have lots of experience you'll be getting about prob $25 an hour well thats what my cousin gets paid.

Melinda
02-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I believe Motive Action offers autobody training and you are guaranteed job placement upon completion. Check this out for more details www.motiveaction.com for more information.
Yes, you are guaranteed placement with motive action, but not necessarily where you want...I have a friend who started autobody with motive action and his "guaranteed placement" was working as a detailer...same thing happened to a friend of my brother's...try doing the auto body course at sait, might be better then motive action

00accordSE
02-05-2004, 07:11 PM
That is exactly what I am inrolled in, but don't know if I want to take auto body or not.

Originally posted by fivespeed
I m going into the auto body trade, Im starting some course at SIAST.....saskatchewan technical training instute or something like that. lol...Well anyways the course is 9 months then you go work at an autobody shop i think for for years. to become flly certified.

I think the pay goes on how much experience you have meaning if you have lots of experience you'll be getting about prob $25 an hour well thats what my cousin gets paid.

ninspeed
02-06-2004, 07:59 PM
there are alot of pot smoking drop outs trying to get in the trade... it pisses me off.... as for pay... 17-19$/hr for journeyman...
but you make huge hours... 70 a year is average... i do know of a bodyman in this city making over 100 000 a year...

Right now the bodyshops in alberta are making plans to raise the shop door rates for insurance.. which is the bulk of work... but insurance has to ok it... which will be hard... the gov need to step in on this soon... its getting bad, its almost reverse price fixing... but i wont go there