PDA

View Full Version : HAHAHA!! Safest in the world!!!

Kennyredline
10-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Ya, good luck with that.
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101012/CGY_weekend_drivers_101012/20101012/?hub=CalgaryHome

Modelexis
10-12-2010, 12:53 PM
The crackdown was part of Operation Impact, a national campaign to make Canada's roads the safest in the world.

Full Disclosure:

The crackdown was part of Operation Money Grab, a national campaign to easily extract extra money from citizens that ordinary taxation cannot accomplish by itself.

delco21
10-12-2010, 01:24 PM
That is a load of crap how is catching drunk drivers and unbuckled passengers as as well as reckless drivers such a "cash grab". At least they are trying to protect people on the roads from these assholes as well as protect kids who's parents may not understand the ow to properly secure there kids

AaronK
10-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Haha thats a lot of tickets!

arian_ma
10-12-2010, 02:08 PM
They set up on Stoney at the exit to Crowchild, RIGHT where the limit changes to 60. Two days in a row I saw them there ALL morning giving out tickets to people who didn't hit their brakes on time.

Safe as fuck!

LadyLuck
10-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by delco21
That is a load of crap how is catching drunk drivers and unbuckled passengers as as well as reckless drivers such a "cash grab". At least they are trying to protect people on the roads from these assholes as well as protect kids who's parents may not understand the ow to properly secure there kids

Agreed.
If you are wearing your seatbelts, your kids are buckled down like they should be...not driving drunk and following the posted speed limits...you wont be getting ticketed.

I fail to see how this is a cash grab, follow the rules and you wont have to face the consequences

:dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
10-12-2010, 02:14 PM
LOL 1200 speeding tickets. I would be willing to bet that none of those 1200 drivers would have gotten into an accident that was a direct result of their speed. Also as previously mentioned most of those tickets were likely handed out in BS areas where people are slowing down, but not QUITE fast enough before a 60 zone. That IS a cash grab, the drunk drivers on the other hand, well they all got what they had coming to them.

bighead2267
10-12-2010, 02:28 PM
CPS......................what can you say.................:thumbsdow

Xtrema
10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by bighead2267
CPS......................what can you say.................:thumbsdow

While I'm sure CPS rolled out extra enforcement over the weekend, this is about Alberta Sheriffs and RCMP.

As the dry road driving season coming to a close, all levels of enforcement agencies will try to fatten up before the winter hiatus.

Traffic division work on the same schedule as bears :rofl: .

Modelexis
10-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Nowhere in that article does it say there was children not belted up.

over 400 tickets for seatbelt and child restraint infractions

I bet 1% accounted for "child restraint infractions" and I bet they were minor infractions like child 6 months too young for the front seat or belt too loose or something along those lines.

When you are given raw statistics it's quite easy to make a scare story in your head and imagine children hanging off the bumper while the car drives down the highway.

I would like to hear from a few of these 'bad drivers' to hear another side to the story.

If I wanted public approval and with the public having virtually no way of verifying the infractions, you can bet I would also be writing an article like this so that people think I saved the world.

They should include the court cases where the infractions are fought and won.

FraserB
10-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Making that kind of statement is just as retarded as what you are complaining the papers are doing. You have no way to know what percentage of tickets were for what, all you are doing is making up numbers to try and support your point.

As for the other side of the story all you have to do is search on here for all the people "wrongfully" hit with photo radar or red light cams. It will never be their fault or they were never speeding in the first place, despite the photos.

Modelexis
10-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Making that kind of statement is just as retarded as what you are complaining the papers are doing. You have no way to know what percentage of tickets were for what, all you are doing is making up numbers to try and support your point.

I can agree, it's just as retarded, but this grants me the concession that you agree the initial numbers are retarded and it is retarded to make judgment based on them.

As for the other side of the story all you have to do is search on here for all the people "wrongfully" hit with photo radar or red light cams. It will never be their fault or they were never speeding in the first place, despite the photos.

This thread has nothing to do with photo radar, nice try though.
Although comparing police officers to robots is semi-valid.

Abeo
10-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

I can agree, it's just as retarded, but this grants me the concession that you agree the initial numbers are retarded and it is retarded to make judgment based on them.

This thread has nothing to do with photo radar, nice try though.
Although comparing police officers to robots is semi-valid.

Lets actually use some numbers then:

Various surveys have found that as many as 90 per cent of child safety seats are installed incorrectly.

The British Columbia Automobile Association randomly checked the installations of 1,000 child car seats. Only seven per cent had been installed correctly.

Clinics held by Ontario's Ministry of Transportation have found that as many as 80 per cent of car seats are improperly installed.

source (http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/05/22/f-child-car-seats-safety.html)

Modelexis
10-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

Lets actually use some numbers then:

Various surveys have found that as many as 90 per cent of child safety seats are installed incorrectly.

The British Columbia Automobile Association randomly checked the installations of 1,000 child car seats. Only seven per cent had been installed correctly.

Clinics held by Ontario's Ministry of Transportation have found that as many as 80 per cent of car seats are improperly installed.

source (http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/05/22/f-child-car-seats-safety.html)

I applaud your fact finding, I didn't realize safety seats were that big of a deal.

My initial issue with the article was that it was raw data with no personal accounts or specific infraction details.

Many would be much less severe or dangerous than you would be led to believe from the article.
The story you posted is also raw data with very little specific details about what was done wrong or what is considered improper.

'improperly installed' is a bit vague and caters to peoples fear instinct because it prevents people from knowing the specifics so they can judge these people that are called on their installs.

I torque my wheels on without a torque wrench and many people would consider this improper, but I can assure you it is quite safe.
If I publish a news story that says 90% of vehicles are unsafe you would probably hide under the covers for 3 weeks.

My point is you cannot just look at the raw data, you need specifics.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Jeeze I cant believe i'm still ticket free sometimes.

FraserB
10-12-2010, 04:40 PM
No one is going to misinterpret "child seat installed incorrectly", you can't. A child seat is either installed correctly or it isn't, there are no degrees. Same with "seat belt violation", that makes me think either not wearing one or wearing it incorrectly, both of which are dangerous and fall under the same general section. All the offenses are black and white in the law, only someone trying to attack the police would try to confuse the issue.

There is no interpretation for the laws given. You are either driving the legal speed limit or exceeding it, are using the seatbelt properly, have the child seat installed correctly or don't and are impaired enough to get charged.

I also don't think the numbers are retarded, the only people who are in this situation are the ones who don't think the police should be cracking down on stupid people. The only thing I would change is for the people who do not install their child seats correctly to not receive a ticket, but be instructed in their proper use.

The analogy of the improperly installed wheels is not valid since reporting that wheels installed using a torque is blatantly false. Reporting that x amount of people were ticketed for x crime is not false reporting, nor is it vague. Would you prefer that they break it down by specific seat belt infraction and then have a list showing the different rates the legal speed limit was exceeded and how many drivers for each speed? Same for BAC? Age of child in the incorrectly installed car seat?

The data reported is not raw, the raw data would include type of care, race and age of driver, speed exceeded, highway conditions, officer who pulled the driver over, weather conditions, means used to establish probable cause.

Modelexis
10-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
There is no interpretation for the laws given. You are either driving the legal speed limit or exceeding it, are using the seatbelt properly, have the child seat installed correctly or don't and are impaired enough to get charged.

You are absolutely incorrect in saying this.
The law is not black and white.
If the law was black and white, there would be no need for the existence of a court.

It is actually more correct to say all the people ticketed in this report are innocent. They are not guilty until they are proven guilty or concede themselves to be guilty by making the payment.

and, I would prefer they break it down into the various sections that you mentioned.

Tomaz
10-12-2010, 05:32 PM
RCMP/Sheriff Crackdown during holidays is the equivalent to "Black Friday shopping spree.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Let's say the average ticket is $200:

2300 tickets times $200/ ticket is $460,000!!!:eek:

I wish my company made that everyday!

Kennyredline
10-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I saw part of this crackdown on Saturday morning, driving from Calgary to Edmonton in the morning; the shit that I saw totally blew me away!! I've never had a more harrowing highway drive in my life. I decided that I wasn't gonna hurry, I just set the cruise at 118 km/hr, and saw the race unfold around me.
One old douchebag in a pickup made a lane change fron the right lane to the left, but he forgot(?) to notice the white Honda that was already there. The Honda had to drive on the shoulder to avoid a collision.
Just before Edmonton we came across some fresh tire debris...people are swerving, slamming on their brakes to avoid the blown tire that was all over the road. I had to run over a piece, and I thought my front end was broken, but no damage. We caught up to the offending truck, and it had, an inside cab tire flapping around. I pulled up along side, opened up my sunroof and honked at the driver. He nodded and gave me a thumbs up as if to say "Yes, thank-you, I know I'm leaving huge chunks of rubber all over the highway....." He kept going...that can't be legal...to drive while the vehicle is spraying a blown tire everywhere??
We did actually see two patrol cars the whole time...:rolleyes:

ragu
10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Now imagine the commission on that for cops:

2300 tickets, whats your guess? at least 20% will fight them? so much more overtime for cops= in other words, commission.

win for cops

black13
10-12-2010, 08:30 PM
I'd really like to know if there is any information on where exactly the money goes. Does it all go to the police budget or does the city get some as well?