PDA

View Full Version : Python on 64-bit OS?

Hakkola
10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Anybody have python running on windows 7? Easy to use on the Linux computers at school but I've tried putting it on my laptop and I'm not able to run any programs no matter what directory I put them in.

Any idea what the problem might be? It's version 2.7 of python.

jacky4566
10-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I did this last year with computer science 217. just make sure to get the 64bit python and your executing the program properly.
In the end i just installed a vmware with ubuntu so i could learn linux command codes and directory at the same time. pm me with more specifics if you need help.

sabad66
10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I can't remember how python progs run.. Do you type 'python <progname.py>'? If so, you may have to add the python path to your environment variables.

adam c
10-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Which version of Win 7? can you not use XPVM?

UndrgroundRider
10-13-2010, 03:46 AM
I have Python on W7 Ultimate 64. Even bundled python apps work fine.

Hakkola
10-19-2010, 06:00 PM
On the unix comps we go python filename.py to open. When I do this on my laptop this is what happens:

>>>> python guess.py
......File "<stdin>", line 1
........python guess.py
........................^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Periods are there for indentation. If I go into the directory and open the file in the directory it will open in python, but from within python I can't open it. I'm also not able to go to other directories, or really do much of anything.

As for XPVM, I'm not familiar with it, checking it out now.

EDIT - I got it all to work, if anybody ever has a problem like I had it's as simple as adding the python/java/quickdraw etc paths to the environment settings on windows and running the programs through cmd prompt.