PDA

View Full Version : Today's Hockey Fight: Kids VS Angry Old Lady

Stealth22
10-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Street hockey spurs fight on Nova Scotia cul-de-sac

Officials in Prospect, Nova Scotia, are hoping to prevent a full-fledged hockey brawl from breaking out after a couple who complained about local street-hockey games had their home and car vandalized.

After nearly two years of trying to negotiate with parents over what the couple said were loud games that took over their otherwise quiet street, Donna Beeler and her husband Ray called police.

"It's not fair," Daniel Zinck, one of the budding hockey stars, told CTV News. "Because we like playing ball hockey, so we want to keep doing it."

Now police have another complaint on their hands: in recent days, someone flattened the tires on the Beelers' car, and also egged their house.

Donna Beeler said she first tried asking players to move the game down the street, to no avail. Then she realized that parents from other neighbourhoods were driving their kids over to her street, which is wide and flat -- perfect for hockey.

"They just kept playing out there with the hockey," Beeler told CTV News. "And then the next thing you know, they've got the ramps up, and the kids are on their bikes and they've got the whole road stretched from one end to the other with the ramps."

Rod MacDonald, who plays hockey with his young daughter out on the street, said the Beelers should "let (the kids) play Canada's pastime."

But with all sides refusing to budge, local officials have planned a meeting to try and work out a compromise.

"We're going to try to not referee, but to be arbitrators and see if we can open up those lines of communication," said Halifax Regional Councillor Reg Rankin.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20101012/street-hockey-101012/

Coles Notes:
- Quiet cul-de-sac, nice big paved road, active kids
- Kids play street hockey
- Old lady calls RCMP...over KIDS PLAYING HOCKEY
- Someone slashes her tires and eggs her house (cops apparently said it could not have been kids), neighbours telling her to move away

Watch the video to see this lady's attitude. They also showed one of the dad's trying to explain to his 3 year old daughter why they can't play on that side of the street.

Seriously, just let the kids have fun. :thumbsdow

spikerS
10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
man, I would be out on the front porch with a few beers and watching the games. maybe even yelling that the coaches are bums, yelling fight fight fight!.

seriously though, I wish people would stop being so anal about this crap. let kids be kids.

Phenix
10-13-2010, 10:33 AM
what a bitch. just get the kids to keep a clear path and there shouldn't be a problem. also don't the kids call CAR! anymore?

Tarrantula
10-13-2010, 11:03 AM
You can tell shes a cunt.

I would love to halloween prank her. ha ha ha.

not that im saying its a good idea or anything.

403Gemini
10-13-2010, 11:28 AM
My last house was on a crescent and there were 3 hockey games on each road during the summer days but they'd move out of the way and wave. :dunno:

I don't mind at all when kids are playing street hockey, I don't get why people complain about it, especially if the kids move out of the way of oncoming cars.

If she REALLY had a problem with them playing until 10 pm, just speak to the parents and ask if they could shut it down maybe around 830 or 9 but during the daytime is fine.

swak
10-13-2010, 11:32 AM
I hope that media attention brings more locals to play on that culdesac. Fucking cunt.

Seriously though. Does she have nothing better to do than to complain about KIDS PLAYING????????

JustGo
10-13-2010, 12:24 PM
As much as I think street hockey is awesome, I can see that lady's point... she lives in that area because it's quiet... now it's not.

If I had 50 kids playing street hockey in front of my house every day I'd be pissed too.

Mind you, not sure how frequently it happens in this case. If it's once or twice a week, she's a naggy old hag. If it's every evening, she has a point.

nissanK
10-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by JustGo
As much as I think street hockey is awesome, I can see that lady's point... she lives in that area because it's quiet... now it's not.

If I had 50 kids playing street hockey in front of my house every day I'd be pissed too.

Mind you, not sure how frequently it happens in this case. If it's once or twice a week, she's a naggy old hag. If it's every evening, she has a point.

But it's not like they are playing on HER property, it's a public street so she has no right to tell people what they can and can't do on public property. If they are blocking traffic, fine they are wrong but that wasn't mentioned in the report.

Public property, end of story. Wanna be a cunt, do it somewhere else.

JfuckinC
10-13-2010, 12:59 PM
What a baby. We had old people in our cul-d-sac, only time they complained is when we nailed there camper with our ball haha. we used to play everyday with like 12 kids too!

our cul-d-sac was WAY smaller though and always had a crap load of cars parked in it lol

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.087823,-113.956662&spn=0,0.00522&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.087823,-113.956662&panoid=IyRychw3mSqAIxrdI5KONg&cbp=12,4.34,,0,6.11

r3ccOs
10-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Well... I live down from a cul-de-sac & enjoy ball hockey like the next guy...

and I also too live in an area where we have garages attached to the front of the house and well... I'll even jump in on a couple pickup games w/ the neighbors kids.

Unlike this bitch, the cul-de-sac isn't obsticle free and ideal... (in this case here, she's just a whiny bitch)

The problem you run into, are the teens who think they've got a Heatly cannon and won't respect the rules... i.e. snap & wristers only

I know there are many people who have sustained dents on the side of their cars, broken mirrors and well ball marks all over the side of their homes.

So for those people, I am sympathetic... a vicitim of living in a Canadian cul-de-sac :)

My favorite place to play ball hockey, is in a large enough outdoor tennis court facility... many communities have these, and if you're going to drive somewhere anyways, have goalies in equipment... thats my favorite place to go.

JfuckinC
10-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
Well... I live down from a cul-de-sac & enjoy ball hockey like the next guy...

and I also too live in an area where we have garages attached to the front of the house and well... I'll even jump in on a couple pickup games w/ the neighbors kids.

Unlike this bitch, the cul-de-sac isn't obsticle free and ideal... (in this case here, she's just a whiny bitch)

The problem you run into, are the teens who think they've got a Heatly cannon and won't respect the rules... i.e. snap & wristers only

I know there are many people who have sustained dents on the side of their cars, broken mirrors and well ball marks all over the side of their homes.

So for those people, I am sympathetic... a vicitim of living in a Canadian cul-de-sac :)

My favorite place to play ball hockey, is in a large enough outdoor tennis court facility... many communities have these, and if you're going to drive somewhere anyways, have goalies in equipment... thats my favorite place to go.

Lol why not play in a rink, like most communitys have. I play with friends at temple rink all the time.. Roller hockey though..

JustGo
10-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by nissanK

But it's not like they are playing on HER property, it's a public street so she has no right to tell people what they can and can't do on public property. If they are blocking traffic, fine they are wrong but that wasn't mentioned in the report.

Public property, end of story. Wanna be a cunt, do it somewhere else.
Well I know that, but like I said, she probably moved there (which looks like a fairly rural area) for some peace and quiet, and now she's got a street full of screaming kids, some of which were driven there by their parents...

Either way, I still stand by my point that if it's an every day thing, she's right, but if it's more rare, she's a bag.

kertejud2
10-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by JustGo

Well I know that, but like I said, she probably moved there (which looks like a fairly rural area) for some peace and quiet, and now she's got a street full of screaming kids, some of which were driven there by their parents...

I'd rather see kids being driven to my cul-de-sac to play hockey and be active outside than sitting inside playing NHL 2010 even if they are making noise and you know, being kids.

CUG
10-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Well....

She MAY have bought that place because it was quiet and out of the way. I understand her gripe.

There's someone in that crowd of "respectful kids and caring parents" that isn't so respectful, especially if they're slashing tires and throwing eggs. ]

I'd be on her side completely after that. Why not play near their own houses? Why not use an outdoor rink? That's not unreasonable.

Yep, she's a bit of a haggard old woman, but at the end of the day, the people involved aren't respecting anything she asked, and she's a resident there.

frizzlefry
10-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Well, she has asked for 2 years and it got her nowhere. I read that the flat tires were the result of their valve stems being removed. That's not a kid's doing, that's a parent. Given that a parent obviously flattened her tires I completely support her bringing the RCMP into it. It's, pastime or not, illegal to play in the street. And it's illegal to vandalize someone else's property. The grumpy old lady has done nothing wrong in my opinion. I have no problem with street hockey but if she has asked, as a neighborly courtesy, that they move the game elsewhere and she got her tires flattened for it the parents are obviously self-entitled dicks who think their children are the center of everyone's world. If it was a daily adult street party that made the same amount of noise I'm sure everyone would be with the old lady. Just because its kids making the noise does not mean its ok. Fine if the parents want to let the "kids be kids" on their own property but the neighbor should not be expected to accommodate other people's kids. Just another example of parents not raising kids to respect other people. I had a skate ramp when I was a kid and me and some other kids from the cul-de-sac used to put it in the street and move it when a car came by. A neighbor called the cops without even talking to our parents. Cops made us move it to our driveway (skateboarding is not a “pastime” I guess). My parents found out who called the cops and brought them some candy and apologized for the kids causing a disturbance because that’s what polite neighbors do. Take the high road and respect other people’s wishes.

The tire flattening parents are the jerks in my opinion.

Grogador
10-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Fuck kids. Get off my fucking lawn/street.

I'd start with a paintball gun, then move to airsoft, then proper air rifles, then .22 and finally Claymores.

Renagades
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
C'mon, I loved playing street hockey and as long as we were respectful of the neighbors there was no problem. In this case it's just a batty old lady who has nothing left in her life but to complain. She should move to a condo complex with a no kids rule or a retirement home. People can be such assholes

kertejud2
10-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
Fuck kids. Get off my fucking lawn/street.

Your street?

Sal0
10-13-2010, 06:04 PM
It looks to be the kids/parents fault in all of this. It sounds like she tried to negotiate a bit with the parents. She put up with it for 2 years. Grumpy old lady or not, she has every right to tell the kids to play some where else. There's laws about this stuff for a reason. If they respected her wishes from the beginning I bet the kids would still be playing.

I'm sure if you had to experince what she experiences your minds would change quickly. I use to live in a cul-de-sac, and kids played hockey all the time in front of my house. I've had my car and house hit many times with the balls. I never complained, however, if I had a nice car I'd tell them to take a hike.

v2kai
10-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Lol why not play in a rink, like most communitys have. I play with friends at temple rink all the time.. Roller hockey though..

stop giving away our location :rofl:

i can see both sides to this. community could step up and make a proper place for the kids to play or the lady could get the cactus out and just let em play and make sure the parents keep it within reason.

Stealth22
10-14-2010, 12:10 AM
From what I gathered from the story, she called the cops, THEN someone slashed her tires. Her initial call to police was about the kids playing hockey.

CUG
10-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22
From what I gathered from the story, she called the cops, THEN someone slashed her tires. Her initial call to police was about the kids playing hockey. Why does that matter? If they're the the types to slash tires, how can it be assumed that they were nice people before they slashed the tires?

Are you suggesting that because she phoned the police, that she deserved to have her tires slashed?

creeper
10-14-2010, 03:42 AM
Some shut in old hag who sits around watching TV all day shouldn't give a fuck about this. She should be happy to have some action happening before she takes a permanent slumber in a musty casket.

Vanner
10-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20101012/street-hockey-101012/

- Someone slashes her tires and eggs her house (cops apparently said it could not have been kids),

Incorrect - tires were not slashed, the article said they were flatten. In other words, it had to be someone who knows how to let out air from the tires. I'm betting the person there had a special tool to remove the little valves out - flatten tires faster.

How many kids really know about that process??

Even so, kids are kids - let them play while they still have their childhood hockey memories!

codetrap
10-14-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm on the fence about this one. On one hand, having kids playing hockey, or skateboards or bikes outside is all good, especially in a nice quiet flat "parking lot" like the one that's in front of this lady's house.

On the other hand, the news article states that she tried to work with them for two years, and wasn't able to come to an agreement with the people on the street, so she finally got fed up and called the cops to clear the street.

I can see her point. She obviously bought this home because it was in a nice quiet cul-de-sac, and parents from all over the subdivision are coming by and dropping the kids off. Suddenly, she's got a kid's rec center with hockey, ramps, bikes, and a hundred kids running around screaming in her front yard. It sounds like she's tried asking them to keep it down, or move it down the street, but nobody is working with her on it.

So, really, who is essentially at fault here? Personally, I think it's the parents for imposing this impromptu area in this old ladies front yard. She is the property owner, and her rights trump those who want to "rezone" her front yard into a rec center without her being on board. So, ultimately, I think she's got the right on her side, and the parents should be looking to create a proper rec center where the kids can all play without infringing on anyone else.

As to all of you guys who are ragging on her and basically wishing her dead. Well, try looking at it from her perspective a little bit eh?

JustGo
10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
As to all of you guys who are ragging on her and basically wishing her dead. Well, try looking at it from her perspective a little bit eh?

Where do you get off??

Trying to reason with beyond!!?? Are you MAD, man?!

cort@urbanX
10-14-2010, 02:25 PM
It seems like this lady most likely was a bitch in dealing with this right from the beginning and pissed everybody off and now isn't getting any respect from anybody. I find it interesting that none of the other people living on the street had anything to say to reporters regarding the issue. Makes it seem like maybe this old hag is overexagerating the situation a little. I have a hard time believing kids would set up ramps etc. on a street they don't live on or refuse to move for cars trying to get through. Even the lady's husband didn't really say anything to back his wife up, he probably thinks shes a crazy ol' bitch too. Seems like she has nothing better to do than sit at home all day and think of ways to make other peoples lives as miserable as her own. She would probably be happier if these kids were shooting up in her back alley, it would be a lot quieter and would draw less of a crowd. I say LET THE KIDS PLAY!!!

frizzlefry
10-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by cort@urbanX

I have a hard time believing kids would set up ramps etc. on a street they don't live on or refuse to move for cars trying to get through.

If their parents removed the valve stems from the old lady's tires (which they did) I have no problem believing their kids would be jerks too. Just because they are pwecious widdle chilwen does not mean they get to turn whatever street they want into a park. Thats what parks are for.

frizzlefry
10-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Ah-hah. More info comes out.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1206529.html

"Although Beeler wasn’t crazy about kids playing noisily in front of her home or tearing across her property chasing balls, she said she was working things out with some of the kids until one night last year when adults took up the game.

That evening Beeler said some men she didn’t recognize were drinking and playing ball with a net set up directly behind her vehicle. Afraid to have her husband confront strangers, Beeler said she phoned the RCMP."

Sooooo the adults are drinking on the road and playing ball with the net behind her car, no doubt the booze causes them to miss the net and hit her property. This "old bitch" is 100% in the right here.

CUG
10-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
Ah-hah. More info comes out.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1206529.html

"Although Beeler wasn’t crazy about kids playing noisily in front of her home or tearing across her property chasing balls, she said she was working things out with some of the kids until one night last year when adults took up the game.

That evening Beeler said some men she didn’t recognize were drinking and playing ball with a net set up directly behind her vehicle. Afraid to have her husband confront strangers, Beeler said she phoned the RCMP."

Sooooo the adults are drinking on the road and playing ball with the net behind her car, no doubt the booze causes them to miss the net and hit her property. This "old bitch" is 100% in the right here.

I figured that. Captain nice-guy seemed a little too nice. :rolleyes: We all know how those nice easterners can be when they get their Alchoholic on.

Stealth22
10-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Ah hah...good on CTV for reporting the whole story. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

If it's kids playing every so often, that shouldn't be an issue. But if adults start playing at night drinking booze, then thats DEFINITELY cause to phone the police.

I'd hate to see what's going to happen to her house on Halloween! :nut:

911fever
10-15-2010, 12:55 AM
she fails :facepalm:

M.alex
10-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Fvck the kids and their parents.

Yeaaars ago living in the city, the kids across the street used to play hockey on the road, and all the bloody kids from a few blocks away would come and join in. Every day. For 5-7hrs a day.

It's fvcking ANNOYING as all hell to hear sticks slapping and the kids making that much racket. It pissed everybody off on the street.

Went on for several months until ... somebody .... snuck into their gage, hauled out all their hockey equipment and set it on fire in the middle of the night. Then they got the message.

I wonder who'd do that.....

So in conclusion, unless you've had a bunch of fvcktards playing hockey all day long infront of your house day after day without reprieve, STFU with the BS about it being kids being kids, canada's past time, blah blah blah.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
I don't get why people complain about it

because it's annoying when it's day-after-day-after-day.

psycoticclown
10-15-2010, 03:07 AM
^^:werd:

Ball hockey is fun and all but it's not exactly quiet. I wouldn't want to come home to kids making noise all day either if I specifically moved to a quiet neighborhood vs a busy street. Especially in the summer when it's warm out and your windows are open, 5 hours of noise everyday for a couple months would drive me nuts too. And she's definitely in the right here if some adults started drinking and then set up a net behind her car. Not very hard to miss the net and nail the car. And then going and vandalizing her property afterwards... definitely get no sympathy from met.

Supa Dexta
10-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

Yeaaars ago living in the city, ...bunch of bulllshit...

You're so full of shit. You're just sour you never got to play with them, and that the shaft of their sherwoods were bigger then your legs.

Vanner
10-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Think I've seen that lines before... ^^ Here we go again! ;)

BrknFngrs
10-15-2010, 06:51 AM
The woman is clearly in the right here; like it or not it's illegal to play hockey in the street and it sounds like she tried to handle this in a polite way but the parents of the players weren't interested in that.

codetrap
10-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by cort@urbanX
It seems like this lady most likely was a bitch in dealing with this right from the beginning and pissed everybody off and now isn't getting any respect from anybody....
snip...

Care to edit your opinion in light of the new information?

codetrap
10-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

Yeaaars ago living in the city, the kids across the street used to play hockey on the road, and all the bloody kids from a few blocks away would come and join in. Every day. For 5-7hrs a day.

It's fvcking ANNOYING as all hell to hear sticks slapping and the kids making that much racket. It pissed everybody off on the street.

Went on for several months until ... somebody .... snuck into their gage, hauled out all their hockey equipment and set it on fire in the middle of the night. Then they got the message.

I wonder who'd do that.....

So in conclusion, unless you've had a bunch of fvcktards playing hockey all day long infront of your house day after day without reprieve, STFU with the BS about it being kids being kids, canada's past time, blah blah blah.

because it's annoying when it's day-after-day-after-day.

*Somebody* should be charged with arson, theft, break & enter, trespassing..

Even if I was in the wrong over hockey, and I caught *someone* in my garage... well.. all those power tools.. there's bound to be an industrial accident sometime.

spike98
10-15-2010, 09:19 AM
I think the kids should stop playing hockey and start slinging rock infront of her house. This dirty old hag should shut up. Its outdoor activities like this that kept me out of trouble and in shape when i was younger.

We are getting fat enough as it is and kids are getting into trouble younger and younger.

frizzlefry
10-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by spike98
I think the kids should stop playing hockey and start slinging rock infront of her house. This dirty old hag should shut up. Its outdoor activities like this that kept me out of trouble and in shape when i was younger.

We are getting fat enough as it is and kids are getting into trouble younger and younger.

Kids are getting into trouble younger and younger because of their dick no discipline parents. Not because of a lack of street hockey. The fact that the parents removed her valve stems and kids egged her house says to me that there is a big gang of future Sean Averys in front of her house.