PDA

View Full Version : Deerfoot closed south of 22x both directions. Pics of crash

inline6turbo
10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Driving home in Cranston I witnessed this crash, Deerfoot north/south is now closed south of 22x at the cranston exit.

A piggy back dirt hauler (not sure if it classifies as a dump truck) was driving on the embankement and flipped over, then rolled down the hill. I hope the driver is alright.

EMS responded within 5 mins and the whole cavalry was out in 10.

**UPDATE** Northbound lanes now open, southbound still closed

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/straight6turbo/Iphone3GS262.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/straight6turbo/Iphone3GS261.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/straight6turbo/Iphone3GS260.jpg

ercchry
10-13-2010, 01:54 PM
wow... that closed the WHOLE roadway because of that?! wow...

T-Dubbs
10-13-2010, 01:55 PM
they usually close down roads when someone dies at the scene.

GoChris
10-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Ya unless someone died, not sure why they would close down northbound.

kenny
10-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Both directions are closed because Stars Air Ambulance is landing on Deerfoot.

inline6turbo
10-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Maybe they were worried rubber neckers such as myself would cause another accident

Originally posted by kenny

Holy crap. That's how far it is from a hospital? To bad that new one isn't built yet, 10 blocks from the accident.

FraserB
10-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by kenny

I should see it in about 15-20 then I guess. Live right by Rockyview and almost on their flight path.

JfuckinC
10-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

I should see it in about 15-20 then I guess. Live right by Rockyview and almost on their flight path.

Stars is stationed at the airport are they not?

FraserB
10-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Stars is stationed at the airport are they not?

They will probably come to Rockyview since I believe it is the closest hospital.

inline6turbo
10-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Northbound open now, southbound still closed

JfuckinC
10-13-2010, 02:22 PM

They will probably come to Rockyview since I believe it is the closest hospital.

Haha thought about that after i posted. My Bad.

Spoons
10-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Well seeing how I used to work with A LOT of gravel truck drivers, this doesn't surprise me at all.

They give anyone their class 1 now, and a lot of the people who drive them have zero common sense. I could get into it more, but I would just sound racist.

1-Bar
10-13-2010, 02:56 PM

negative...Foothills, its the trauma hospital

Stealth22
10-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
negative...Foothills, its the trauma hospital Was just going to post that. Foothills is the only hospital with a trauma centre, so they'll be headed there.

Calgary EMS, even with sirens, would take a while to get to Foothills from there. Injuries must've been pretty bad to need STARS.

jazzyb
10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Well seeing how I used to work with A LOT of gravel truck drivers, this doesn't surprise me at all.

They give anyone their class 1 now, and a lot of the people who drive them have zero common sense. I could get into it more, but I would just sound racist.

It would be funny if the guy was not he sort you'd be racist against eh?

HuMz
10-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Anyone know ifnthe bridge at 22x is closed down as well? Gotta make it home to auburn bay from Somerset station.....guessing ill have to detour through cranston.

AaronK
10-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Holy that sucks for the driver! hopefully he is ok...

nrt_vw
10-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
Anyone know ifnthe bridge at 22x is closed down as well? Gotta make it home to auburn bay from Somerset station.....guessing ill have to detour through cranston.

Yep just came that way. You are good to go.

kenny
10-13-2010, 04:29 PM
For those that have to drive south today:

One SB deerfoot lane has been reopened, all lanes to be opened by 5:30 - 6pm according to CPS.

PGTze
10-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Avoid the area all together if possible, it's a freakin parking lot out there.

Tomaz
10-13-2010, 04:39 PM
It's going to be a long drive home. Thanks for the heads up.

I hope all will come out fine.

master hec0
10-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Man been idling on deerfoot for an hour

inline6turbo
10-13-2010, 05:58 PM
I tried to go down 130 then through Mackenzie lake and wow what a gong show. Backed up solid in every single direction. Best idea no matter where u are, go to Anderson and go around

suen17
10-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22
Was just going to post that. Foothills is the only hospital with a trauma centre, so they'll be headed there.

Calgary EMS, even with sirens, would take a while to get to Foothills from there. Injuries must've been pretty bad to need STARS.

Since the opening of the new ER, Rockyview has level 1 trauma capabilities now too, built preemptively for FMC's transition to the McCaig tower and the eventual shutting down of the current main tower.

lauphman
10-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Best bet is to turn around but if you get into mackenzie take the first left after esso gas station and it will join up all the way by the 4 way stop at shell by 22x. Took that way and it was empty.

inline6turbo
10-13-2010, 06:10 PM
I ended up doing that! Worked brilliant! I got stuck on mt Mackenzie forever

Sophal
10-13-2010, 06:17 PM
when i drove by the big wrecker was loading a trailer with the remains of the cab on a flat deck.

j.ng-
10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
yeah everyone is channeling to 130th ave its ridiculous

Masked Bandit
10-13-2010, 06:36 PM
I ended up coming out of Douglasglen North onto Deerfoot (gong) to take Anderson across (gong) and then South on Mcleod to Chaparral (gong). Turned a normal ten minute drive into an hour.

Z_Fan
10-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Now, can you FUCKING IMAGINE what the traffic would have been like if our fine, and completely fucking stupid, CITY OF CALGARY morons have their way and CLOSE THE ENTRANCE TO CRANSTON from the side of 22x that you all had to use to escape this fucking mess?

That's right. City wants to close it if you didn't know. No access for any vehicle going SOUTH out of McKenzie or going WEST on 22x. Stupid retards.

Imagine that.

Ha!

Everyone in Auburn Bay and Cranston was lucky that entrance was accessible. Imagine the fucking mess this would have been with no access to Cranston from that side.

Plus I hear the Auburn Bay "working road" from Mahogany to Auburn Bay was closed. Therefore, all these people who cut from Mahogany to the backside of Auburn Bay had to go through Cranston as well.

Today was a clusterfuck. But nothing compared to what the future will be like not being able to cross 22x from the McKenzie side.

Think about that. And if you thought today was bad, just wait until they're finished closing that entrance. Hahah. Stupid City. :devil:

Spoons
10-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by jazzyb

It would be funny if the guy was not he sort you'd be racist against eh?

I can almost gaurantee you that it is. When I worked construction, it was my job to supervise the gravel truck drivers. We were paying them by the hour, not the load, so it was my job to make sure they were not sitting at Tim Hortons or the likes (which they ALWAYS were).

If you saw even a fraction of the stuff I saw, you would think the exact same thing.

sillysod
10-13-2010, 08:08 PM
^^I work with gravel truck drivers too... they are almost as bad as the shitters (farmers that haul live animals).

JAYMEZ
10-13-2010, 08:19 PM
What a cluster fuck!! Got the heads up this happened , so cut on 22x and took the route in cranston to get around it.

Scuderia
10-13-2010, 08:28 PM
When is that fuckin snap-on truck going to come by so I can get my damn warranty tools...

Maxt
10-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Worst accident/traffic management I have ever seen to date in Calgary..
At 5:30 there was no reason to have the right hand lane closed, at least 8 motorcycle cops having a circle jerk at the scene watching City wide work.. The god damned truck wasn't going anywhere from the ditch and the driver was long gone from the scene at that point, get deerfoot moving and clean it up after rush hour.. But no they have to make a big fucking production out of it... Meanwhile, every fucktard in the city is driving down the right hand shoulder and trying to push their way back in at the cranston overpass.. Least the cops could be doing some traffic management, lane alternating flagging, but no, that would be to much like work..
Having seen accident scene management in other countries on high speed roadways, Calgary's is a grand show of incompetence..

Bumjubeo
10-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
What a cluster fuck!! Got the heads up this happened , so cut on 22x and took the route in cranston to get around it.

Totally a cluster. There was a traffic jam in the shoulder on westbound 22x because of the idiots trying to put themselves ahead of everyone, thinking it was a good idea to drive there.

roopi
10-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
Now, can you FUCKING IMAGINE what the traffic would have been like if our fine, and completely fucking stupid, CITY OF CALGARY morons have their way and CLOSE THE ENTRANCE TO CRANSTON from the side of 22x that you all had to use to escape this fucking mess?

That's right. City wants to close it if you didn't know. No access for any vehicle going SOUTH out of McKenzie or going WEST on 22x. Stupid retards.

Imagine that.

Ha!

Everyone in Auburn Bay and Cranston was lucky that entrance was accessible. Imagine the fucking mess this would have been with no access to Cranston from that side.

Plus I hear the Auburn Bay "working road" from Mahogany to Auburn Bay was closed. Therefore, all these people who cut from Mahogany to the backside of Auburn Bay had to go through Cranston as well.

Today was a clusterfuck. But nothing compared to what the future will be like not being able to cross 22x from the McKenzie side.

Think about that. And if you thought today was bad, just wait until they're finished closing that entrance. Hahah. Stupid City. :devil:

I'm not sure where you got that information about the Mac's entrance closing but it is incorrect. From what I've read the Mac's entrance will connect directly to Deerfoot. Not sure how they are doing it but the entrance will still be there.

Awd-Tsi
10-13-2010, 09:39 PM
I was driving home from 64th ave and at barlow deerfoot south was stopped, took the barlow detour to
glenmore...

This was at 730

GoChris
10-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by roopi

I'm not sure where you got that information about the Mac's entrance closing but it is incorrect. From what I've read the Mac's entrance will connect directly to Deerfoot. Not sure how they are doing it but the entrance will still be there.

Access to Cranston (north) from west bound 22x will be closed according to the last plans I looked at for the ring road interchange project.

It's pretty dumb.

Z_Fan
10-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Well, yeah, it will be connected so you can get OUT. But the last plans I saw - you can't get IN.

The entrance will only be an entrance IF you are on 22x coming from the McLeod trail side. So, if you are in Cranston, you can exit to get to Deerfoot S or N.

However, if you were on 22x going towards McLeod, you will not be able to get in to Cranston.

If you were in McKenzie, and wanting to cross as you can now, you will be unable to do so.

If you were on Deerfoot, and normally take 22x to then go in to Cranston, you will be unable to do so and instead will be forced to go to Seton/Cranston ave overpass and enter Cranston at that location.

The original plan you could go across at McKenzie as well as enter from 22x via a new overpass. And I saw the proposed map and it looked good. But they wanted to scrap it because of cost. There was a HUGE uproar about it, and obviously it is fucking stupid to shut access in. So, if they have now gone back to the original suggested plan, we'll have an entrance there.

Anyone know where this is at TODAY?

It's going to be *FUCKED* if they don't do it properly.

derpderp
10-14-2010, 12:46 AM
http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/10/13/15677936.html

Deerfoot Tr. was closed for several hours Wednesday after a gravel truck rolled

About 1 p.m., the truck, being driven by a 57-year-old man, took the Cranston off-ramp and and rolled over, spilling its load.

The driver suffered severe head injuries and was air lifted to hospital by STARS. He is listed in critical condition.

Calgary Police Service Traffic Section is investigating the collision.

jazzyb
10-14-2010, 08:14 AM

Well, yeah, it will be connected so you can get OUT. But the last plans I saw - you can't get IN.

The entrance will only be an entrance IF you are on 22x coming from the McLeod trail side. So, if you are in Cranston, you can exit to get to Deerfoot S or N.

However, if you were on 22x going towards McLeod, you will not be able to get in to Cranston.

If you were in McKenzie, and wanting to cross as you can now, you will be unable to do so.

If you were on Deerfoot, and normally take 22x to then go in to Cranston, you will be unable to do so and instead will be forced to go to Seton/Cranston ave overpass and enter Cranston at that location.

The original plan you could go across at McKenzie as well as enter from 22x via a new overpass. And I saw the proposed map and it looked good. But they wanted to scrap it because of cost. There was a HUGE uproar about it, and obviously it is fucking stupid to shut access in. So, if they have now gone back to the original suggested plan, we'll have an entrance there.

if true that is fucked, i'll look it up on the city's cite

jazzyb
10-14-2010, 08:22 AM
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType490/production/P-3247-61.pdf

cranston interchange plans

Mibz
10-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by jazzyb
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType490/production/P-3247-61.pdf

cranston interchange plans Aren't those the old plans?

Z_Fan
10-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Aren't those the old plans?

Yes. Those are older plans. Those were the "proposed" or "suggested plans" which are essentially 4 years old now. BUT, the plans are exactly how this intersection better be built.

If that is the final plan, everyone would be happy and they wouldn't have been holding meetings at Cranston town hall just a few weeks ago about how fucking stupid the revised plan is.

But I believe that is what they will do, as there is no way in hell they can NOT do it properly and close off access. Did anyone in Cranston actually go to the meetings about this at the Cranston Town Hall?

ANYHOW, I looked on the website of the guys doing the work, and the Cranston plan there still has access from Deerfoot South via 22x to the Bridge that will go there. Which is how it must be or else I'm fucking moving.

Tomaz
10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Those plans look WAY to complicated.

What about an underpass for Cranston Ave/McKenzie Blvd?

I am thinking something similar to Scenic Acres/Tuscany.

should cost a lot less and should sustain traffic flow for the communities.

The "Original Plans" just seem too complicated for the need.

ercchry
10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
the mounds of dirt in the area still seem to be in favor of the old plans do they not?

roopi
10-14-2010, 11:10 AM

I wasn't aware of that. I figured if you could get out they would make it so you could get in as well. The old plans look good but from what you're saying it would be a mess with all the traffic coming in from the Cranston Ave entrance.

Z_Fan
10-14-2010, 11:22 AM
^ This is what I am worried about. Since we live near the Cranston Ave entrance, it would totally suck to have ALL Cranston traffic have to come in this route at rush hour.

I just can't imagine that they would do that.

But, then why have all the meetings about the access, etc. I'm now wishing I would have gone to that meeting so I knew WTF was actually going on instead of guessing. ;-)

You never know what will happen because the City has cheaped out on intersections before and look how fucking gay 16th and Deerfoot is, or even Memorial and Deerfoot. It's time this City started realizing interchanges with lights don't fucking work. They need serious ones with no lights at all the majors. But whatever, I guess that just moves the traffic jams deeper in to residential neighbourhoods. Hahah.

Z_Fan
10-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Regarding the meeting that was held in Cranston about this where I'm sure a lot of angry people showed up due to this rumour of no access. I was pissed when I heard this, and I actually think I heard it on the Radio! Not just from a buddy or whatever.

Anyhow:

"Most people were relieved when they realized that there will be a direct road connecting Cranston Drive (Mac's entrance) to Deerfoot Trail. Many people believed that they would have to drive through McKenzie Lake to get to Deerfoot Trail., but this is not the case."

The plans that are at www.sestproject.ca are supposedly correct.

Which means we will get the overpass as it should be. So, I'm relieved...and hopefully this is accurate information that is current and up to date.

Sorry if I freaked anyone else out! Trust me, I was freaked out that they'd do that. And just imagine if they did and we had that accident like last week. Fuck.