PDA

View Full Version : Quick question regarding about OEM warrenty

HiSpec
10-13-2010, 08:33 PM
I would like to confirm that a dealership will not void my warranty if I follow and perform the manufacturer scheduled maintenance/service at another shop provided that I keep all the receipts for any work done. Is this correct?

I am asking because I am debating whether to take my vehicle to another shop for any future work after the first scheduled maintenance/service (which is coming up soon).

Cos
10-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Warranty's can be finiky in Canada. In the USA they actually have a law protecting consumers from the dealer voiding the warranty for BS reasons. Unfortunately in Canada there is no such guarantee.

94boosted
10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
If you keep all of your records, especially for the oil and filter used (which I highly recommend you buy OEM or to OEM Certified Specs) you shouldn't have any issues. However there are no guarantees.

msommers
10-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Ya it's kinda bullshit really. My step-dad does all his own maintenance on his new truck. Dealer called about recalls and questioned why he had not come in. Turns out they didn't care because he had receipts. A lucky case and probably not the norm.

Depends on the dealer and brand I'd imagine.

HiSpec
11-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Sorry guys, totally forgot about this thread that I made.

The vehicle I am speaking off is a new 2010 Honda Civic we bought back in May. The oil change indicator is at 30% so first oil change is coming up quite soon. I will be asking the dealer to put in synthetic oil since this is the first oil change, however any oil change afterwards will be done by me.

Since oil change on the R18 engine is quite simple, is just the future maintenance work that I am not sure if I should leave it for Honda or bring it to an independant shop (eg Fountain Tires).

Xtrema
11-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Read your owner's manual:

NO WARRANTY SHALL COVER:
1. Any repairs required as a result of a lack of required
maintenance.
2. Any repairs required as a result of a collision, accident,
neglect, racing, or misuse.
3. Any repairs required as a result of remodelling or
modifications made to accommodate or install any accessories,
attachments, parts or devices which have not been
tested and approved by Honda.
4. Any vehicle on which the odometer or emission
control systems have been altered, modified or
remodelled and rendered inoperative or the true
distance travelled cannot be determined.
5. Any warranty repair not diagnosed and/or
performed by an authorized Honda dealer.
6. Deterioration due to normal wear or exposure.
7. Vehicles which have for any reason been declared a
total loss or sold for salvage purposes or reconstruction.
8. Vehicles which have been repaired with parts not
made or supplied by Honda, and this part is responsible
for the failure or malfunction.
9. Damage to paint, glass, and other exterior items due
to road hazards.
10. Resurfacing/replacing brake rotors due to corrosion,
brake squeal or scoring.
11. Replacement of parts or components when a repair
is deemed appropriate (e.g. brake rotor resurfacing or
engine block reboring).
12. Replacement of batteries for the keyless entry or
security key fobs over 1 year.
13. Any repairs for vehicles exported from Canada to
other Countries by individuals or organizations other than
Honda, and where such vehicles are normally operated
outside Canada.

So if they deny you based on #1, show them your records. What's done and what went into the car.

That was pulled from a 2004 warranty booklet.

And this claims to be official answer from Honda.

A Richard Jacobs, a spokesperson for Honda Canada Inc., replies:

When in doubt, go to the owner's manual.

Below are direct quotes from it:

"Service at a dealer is not mandatory to keep warranties in effect.

"Maintenance may be done by any qualified service facility or person who is skilled in this type of automotive service ...

"Keep all receipts as proof of completion, and have the person who does the work fill out the maintenance record ...

"We recommend using Honda parts and fluids whenever you have maintenance done.

"These are manufactured to the same high quality standards as the original components, so you can be confident of their performance and durability."

And here is a direct quote from the warranty manual:

No warranty shall cover vehicles "which have been repaired with parts not made or supplied by Honda, and this part is responsible for the failure or malfunction."

So you can do whatever you want. But if warranty works need to be done and there are some conflict on coverage, and you did not get service from dealer, better get your records together.

Zero102
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
As said above, check your manual. For example, in my last 3 cars (VW golf, Chrysler 300, Hyundai Elantra Touring) the owners manual has explicitly stated that having the scheduled maintenance performed at a shop other than the dealership does NOT void the warranty, however proof of the service being performed may be required should a warranty issue arise.

Although we don't have the Magnussen-Moss (sp?) act here in Canada, most of the car companies do allow you to perform your own scheduled maintenance.